69818members
366938posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Oh Revcat, are you sure you're OK after all that prodding and furtling about???? Did you remember which end of clothes to remove? I saw my GP re 'irritable bladder' a few weeks ago and started to strip off me top - not me keks - much to his surprise!!! This is the chap who wore his pink net tutu to do the Fun Run to raise funds for breast cancer research......
Beryl is fine thank you, I have thought the garage could perhaps sort out MY hot flushes and staggers, full fuel injection clean out (OUCH), check all gaskets and leaks etc. Must mention it to the onc next time I go to clinic.
Boil Wash completed so dogs snoozing on the hearthrug as next best place to personal cushions, and my stuff has been through on several Quick Washes - why do holidays produce so much laundry when staying at home just makes one load??? (Sorry, dreaded housework topic)
And someone asked me today how I coped with a vehicle breakdown 'on top of everything else you've had to deal with' Answer: life goes on, with or without breast cancer, and she nearly said oh you are brave but (sensibly) decided to keep silent!! We know it's well meant but it's still annoying......
And I've used the jolly as part of the Stop Smoking Plan, and it's going OK, just had 2 fags from the breakdown driver to help with the stress bless him. So it's patches still and those little nicotabs to suck for a few more weeks yet.
AND IT'S STILL BL**DY RAINING
grumpy

Hi Grumpy [waves] we've missed you. Poor Beryl the Peril, hope she's fixed soon.

OK, so GP was adamant ... no to backflips... even pressed down to make sure I did not try! Been poked, prodded, scraped, sawbbed and other things too numerous to mention, well actually no, that was about it. Now just have to wait for referral to "the other side" of the river for gynae O/P where they will do even more yukky probing and prodding "to rule things out". GP seems pretty relaxed about it, she's sure it's the Tamoxifen but they have to make sure... On the soft cushioned bench now

Lovely sunshine now... and back to work!

GOOD MORNING, LADIES ....
Been on a little jolly to the West Country - lovely - but had to come home 2 days early cos Beryl (the Bongo campervan) decided to have several hot flushes, and the staggers. I know how she feels...... Anyhow had to be relayed home, and the doggies had to stay in Beryl on the low-loader, so OF COURSE they both had a wee on their cushions in spite of frequent stops for 'walkies'
So now I'm on the Boiling the Washing bench, shortly to be followed by the Gardening bench - strange that 2 of my garden chairs have disappeared while I was away, on no, found one all smashed!!! If this is due to branches falling off that f###### tree overhanging my garden that I've been trying to get the landowner to cut down I shall be on the FF bench!!!

grumpy

Hope everything is ok, RevCat, been thinking about you xx
FF glad you have decided, you may have NO side effects whatsoever! Keeping fingers crossed!!
Am on the "totally over the top emotionally" bench as I seem to be shedding tears at everything, not blubbing but silent, tear flowing, firstly it was the olympics, then a tv programme and finally this morning wait for it................................an advert!!!
Will be popping over to the "getting on my own nerves" bench shortly if I can stop snivelling xx

Good luck tomorrow Revcat. Will be joining you very shortly in the synchronised flushing as I have decided (finally) to take the dreaded Tamoxifen.
Had the appointment with onc last week and discussed it thoroughly and after much research and soul searching have decided that I have got to give it a go. It is still a bit unclear as to how much good it will do me, but I've decided I can't live with the "what if?" if this bc comes back and I hadn't taken it. My thinking pretty much changed when he showed me the path. lab results that said my results for ER+ were "100%, strong". Until then I didn't know how ER+ I was and that gave me a kick up the proverbial!
I need to deal with the here and now, not what might happen in the future!
I think I've spent so much time trying to downplay this diagnosis with my family that I started to believe myself that it was no big deal!

Gold medals to everyone here, we all deserve them in one way or another. Olympics were fabulous, don't know what to with myself now there's nothing to watch. Hope the BBC give good coverage to the Paralympics.

Best wishes to everyone.

I should think the gynaecologist is hoping you don't do double flips.... brings a whole new meaning to "synchronised" !!!!!!! Hope it al goes well tomorrow Revcat... have a hand to hold....

Off into the Great Silence tomorrow, but I can still hold hands.... which reminds me, when I was being kept awake by StEroid last year, a friend lent me a dvd of an order of completely silent monks who lived in the Alps... she hoped it would be sopporific - which, to an extent, it was... I watched it one night, nodded off and woke up to see these monks (in white habits) having an amazing time sledging down a local slope in their "free time". It was SO funny and unexpected (and woke me up again!) But it did make me laugh (silently, of course, so's not to wake anyone else up!)

The olympics bench is looking sad... roll on the Paralympic bench...!!

TTFN, love to all, Jane

(Flushed ever redder)

Aw thank you Katy. Squeaky that's what I hope too - crazy hormones for a crazy vicar - quite appropriate, don't you think?

Murky and muggy in old Glasgow town today. Synchronising flushes.... whoooosh! Will let you know how I get on with the first round of gynaecologicial acrobatics tomorrow! Hope it's not like the diving where you have to do six differnet attempts with double flips 'n' everything!!!

Hugs to all, stay cool, and DON'T FEED THE ALLIGATORS!

Special, special thanks to RevCat for her wonderful words of wisdom and kindness to others in need of reassurance, always there even when she has her own issues so belated gold medal on it's way to you along with many hugs xx
Well even though olympics are over am still keeping up the sychronised flushing just have to try and find a way to calm down the bright red face, perhaps another event???????
Murky day here yugh xx

Revcat hope your test goes ok, its hopefully just crazy hormones. Enjoy your holiday.

Squeakymouse

I'm on the 'been a good girl and had my smear test done' bench. Lovely nurse was just reading my notes as I arrived, she obviously didn't want to distress me by saying "cancer" or "mastectomy" but we managed quite a nice chat along the lines of "and how are you feeling after the ummmmmm, errrr, op? " along with a running commentary about my cervix being hard to reach. Bless her!!

GIJane, you've had my daughter asking what I was cackling about again. I'd LOVE to do an induction course with you, though I promise I'll avert my eyes at the right moments.

Just completed (finally) the Jobseekers application pages on the internet. Couldn't find the box asking what I had for breakfast a week ago last Wednesday but they asked questions about everything else... I hate that kind of thing, and I get all in a tizz. Ridiculous, I know, but I think that sort of stuff is designed to scare off people who don't like dealing with numbers. I didn't even do the ESA when I would have been entitled to it. You never know, I might even be entitled to it now. Cancer recovery and depression, do they count?

Anyway, back to less miserable topics, I spent yesterday evening with some very good long-standing friends who I don't see nearly enough, and we had a Closing Ceremony gathering. Four women, four teenagers, two of whom had been Olympics volunteers. What a weird - and totally British! - closing ceremony. I doubt anyone from outside the UK would have 'got' most of what that was all about. One question we asked was, 'Who did Emily Sande sleep with to get such high profile?' Thought she was dreadful, and sings through her nose. (Someone else said 'we could ask the same question about George Michael'.) But at least the two Sirs (Cliff and Paul) weren't allowed out of their bathchairs.

Oh, oh, I'm going to visit norberte tomorrow! Can't wait, it's been far too long since I last saw her. (I admit, I still have her Christmas present to deliver...)

Anyway, back to playing silly games on Facebook. I would be out in my garden but in my mad moments I went wakeboarding on Friday and completely ricked my back. No, it wasn't the wakeboarding that did it - it was putting on my wetsuit! I was completely incapacitated, and couldn't even walk without having someone to lean on. It's still REALLY painful, but I have ibuprofen, and some left-over cocodamol to take the edge off. Darn nuisance, this is the last day of reasonable weather for a while and I wanted to get out and cut the grass and do some more garden improvement tasks (have a few laylandii to cut down) but really don't think I should stress my back for another few days yet.

So I suppose I'm on the Enforced Rest bench, and feeling rather frustrated by it. Ho hum, should be better in a few days I hope. And at least the cushions here are comfy.

Katy, posted on your new thread, but have a Benchland hug too...

Realised I typed some twaddle the other day... 'postmenstrual bleed'? Nope. Should have typed 'post-menopausal bleed'... evidently after 12m they term any bleeding thus. Still not too perturbed but not looking forward to the acrobatics and internal investigations required to rule out anything nasty. I'm convinved if it were men that'd have a blood test by now... 😉 Reputable websites don't help on this as they say medics 'assume sinister until proved benign'.... thanks!

Anyway, Olympics over, and on my wind down ready for a week of hols next week. Not going away but have some plans for chillin' locally 😄

Hope all are OK , especially anyone in waiting rooms or having treatment.

Thank you Jo, great help!!

Hi Katytc,

To start a new thread, choose the area you wish to post in from the list on the left hand side of this page (you will have to scroll down quite away as they are in the wrong order again - technical hitch - sorry) click on the forum this will then see a small purple bock with the words 'new topic', click this and you will then see a grey page, scroll down this page to nearly the bottom and you will then see an area with boxes, one for your subject heading and then one below where you can type your text. After completing these two boxes scroll down a bit further and you will see two grey boxes, one on with 'post' and one 'preview'. If you're happy with what you've written click 'post', this should now be directed onto the forums.

Hope you can follow that and it works for you, any problems let us know.

Jo, Facilitator

What were you getting up to Jane on that induction course???????????
Can anyone tell me how I can start a new thread please, can't seem to find any answers!! xx

Love it Jane!

Ah.. RevCat... these referrals can produce the most surreal moments... had to go for a colposcopy.... entered the room, new female gynecologist (however you spell it). She looked up, smiled and observed that I was a member of staff. Yes I was... We've met before haven't we? Yes we have, at..... "Ah, I remember, I knew it was more than in passing"... 10 minutes later, i've got my legs in the air, she's looking into a dark place when she suddenly looks up and says "I recognise you now! You gave a talk at the induction!"... and you recognise me from THERE????? Made me laugh...

welcome back - you've been missed!!!

love Jane

Goodness gracious - even with this new forum and its v-e-r-y long pages of posts we slipped onto page 2... there was a time in the 'old days' when we'd have been hald way down page 3 and making appropriate jokes!!!

Anyway, just as I think I might fade away, I get dragged back to the Land of Benches by the elastic cord known as bungee. Have just had GP give me a gynae referral following what she termed a postmenstrual bleed 22 months since chemo tried to wipe out my menstrual cycle. Not too concerned, as it's most probably just one more Tamoxifen side effect to add to my collection, but it is a bit of a nuisance. Well Woman Clinic and something with a weird set of letters on Wednesday, and watch the post box for hospital appointment... So, on the bemused bench, twiddling a large thwacking ladle just in case I need it!

Have loved the Olympics, and am just so glad to be bascially well again. Hugs to all Benchies.

Rant away Eve! I was training volunteers last month and one of them heard "don't try to pin silver linings to someone else's cloud"..... Love it! She thinks I said it, but it was new to me, so someone must have said it in a group, but it's so true.... "Rightly pissed off bench" methinks! Thwack!
jane

Now seriously, if one more person tells me how well I look, I'll get out that thwacking ladle...! Argh!!!
On top of that my Onc was as jolly as Santa Claus, pointing out how well I am doing 'being half way done with chemo' -
hold on right there - I still have to get through the next 2 weeks and finish this cycle, before I reach the halfway point!
Mentioning that my last treatment should be on Oct 8 she happily declared 'it's August, only 2 more months and you're done.'
No, chemo doesn't end on the day of the last treatment, there are 3 weeks of crappiness following and even after that I'll be far from my pre-chemo self!
I guess, I teleported to the 'mightily pissed off' bench. Hoping there are lots of cushions available...
Sorry for the outburst and thanks for listening to me ranting away! xx

Lovely news Ali, glad you are comfortable now! Where are those creme eggs???
Eve nice to see you popping in, hope you are feeling a bit better, do enjoy the extra super duper comfy sofa.
Good luck to eveyone with appointments, fingers and toes crossed for you all.
Been glorious today, can't quite believe it!!
Still on the olympics bench, do I feel guilty? Not a chance enjoying it too much! xx

Hope appt goes well Eve, and you are "heard".... for me, it felt important to plan treats for the 3rd week after chemo, before I got battered again. Need something to look forward to, in the middle of teh grot - so well done you! Love the Ed. Festival! Totter gently, and see if you can flop into a sofa today, rather than a hard bench - they are dotted around! The Olympics sofa's quite crowded - might need another one...
Jane

Thought I pop in and see what's been going on in Benchland.
FF - I hope your (ex)friend apologised for the highy insensitive comment. I am all for using the thwacking ladle.
Sorry, but all that talk about snails and froglegs is making me a bit queezy... Am not usually that squirmish so will blame it on the chemo.

Been absent for quite some time, turning into a bit of a hermit. At the end of the second chemo cycle last week things started finally catching up with me, going all emotional. Luckily I had a friend drag me out of the house and we enjoyed a lovely Sunday with a visit to the Edinburgh Fringe, lunch at a restaurant - no cooking for me! - and a glass of bubbly (first one since treatment started) - well deserved if you ask me to celebrate the 1/3 mark of chemo in style.
Had my third treatment on Monday, but felt rougher than last time, so more reclusiveness and plenty of rest to have enough spoons for the one fun outing of the week (which was last night and absolutely worth it). Also bummed I haven't been able to enjoy all the lovely sunshine we've been having - better not dwell on it and chuck the guilt in the lake, watch out...!

Had a quick visit to the 'pissed off' bench - thanks to the benefts' people... (don't get me started).
Now on the 'am not quite sure how I am feeling' teeter totter - as I have my appointment with the Onc later today.
Not sure what to expect...

Hope you all have a good Friday and wonderful weekend! xx

Thanks ladies, I'm not bothered by the lack of nipple at all but a couple of my non BC friends thought it was strange to not want one...maybe you don't know till you're there. So I'm pleased to read that I'm not weird after all!! Actually the stick on ones sound like a good compromise. 🙂

Hadn't found the word games Val, will have a look for them. It's nice just to be able to chat to ladies who understand how you feel without having to explain all the time!!

I have managed without having a new nipple for 23 years and I wouldn't say I hve missed it. But everyone is different. I am just pleased that my new boob still looks as good as it did when I had my mastectomy with reconstruction. Pity gravity has affected the old one though! With a bra on no one would know anyway and my Oh says he is happy with the way I am and is just pleased I am still around after all this time!
Now going in to have a complete hip replacement as the pin they put in my leg last year has fractured! Any day now. So I am going to sit on the quiet bench to watch the sun go down. Good to see Benchland back as I have missed the thread.
Do all of you know about the word games on the Chitchat (see left hand column) as new people are not joining it and I would love to keep it going.A few ladies have already posted that they did not know it even exisited! It used to be a very active thread and was a chill place to be where you can escape BC yet communicate with other people and get to know them. If you are in Benchland and fancy a game or two we would love you to join us. Val

That's great news Ali. 18m on I've become totally accustomed to the one side with and one side without nipple look, and actually not sure I can be bothered with the nipple recon option as it will be a minimum of 6m after my symmetry procedure which won't be anytime soon! My hosp offer you stick on ones (made to measure!!) if you don't want a surgical one. There is no right or wrong answer, just what is right for you. I quite like my smooth perky boob!

Hope you continue to enjoy your new look and grow in confidence daily.

Yippee!!! Had the cling film and dressings off new booby today (henceforth to be known as 'Perky' for fairly obvious reasons!)... Relief to get all that wrapping off, really pleased with result too, had implant after skin sparing mx. However only got one button on my vest now....is this something you get used to? I've got an appointment in six months with lovely surgeon to discuss creating a nipple, not sure if I want to?

move over..... annual check up tomorrow... Olympics more interesting.... Jane xx

Well, well, well (three holes in the ground) suddenly I get a notification of new posts on this thread... not had one for yonks (not since that time we've all forgotten when everytime you turned round your inbox was deluged with them).

So, as I'm here I'll top up all the spoons and hankies, and I'll even give you some virtual cupcakes in whatever flavour you fancy. Tomorrow it's two years since I found the lump that started me on this path.... can't believe it's gone so fast. So grateful for the friends I've made along the way and happy to be NEDy (check up in two weeks time... two days before second anniversary of dx....)

Joining you all on the Olympic bench...

Ali, real pleased your learning fast, healthy eating what's that again???xx

Oh, and I discovered the olympics bench at last!!! Is there any more gymnastics to come??

My sports bra / straight jacket is driving me potty! How long do I have to spend strapped in to this monstrosity? Had mx with implant reconstruction three and a half weeks ago...lol...how impatient am I??

Katytc we have a sweetie shop near us that sells close to date sweeties, crisps etc...so we get Easter eggs in august, advent calendar chocs in feb..mis shapes and weird foreign brands, and after season excess stock .
I've decided to sit on the 'just because I ate that creme egg and really enjoyed it, it doesn't mean I've failed in my healthier eating plan" bench. See, I'm learning to let go of the guilt!

Yahoooooooooooooo!! FF braless no longer!!! I wore a sports bra for months and months they were just so comfortable.
Good luck with your onc appointment on Wed.
Well that's been some weather today brilliant sunshine and torrential rain, it's bouncing down at the moment unbelievable, I had my heating on again for a while tonight, crazy times!!
Ali where did you find creme eggs, this time of year?????????????
Still on the "olympics" bench, it's been soooo good xx

Like your benches Ali might join you later.
Today I'm on the happy bench - why? you may ask................. because today is the first time for six weeks that I've been able to wear a bra!! Ta..Daaaaa!! I have been so self conscious about being braless in public. Ok it's only a very soft cotton non wired bra unlike my usual underwired padded ones that actually give me some shape ( I'm very small breasted, and even smaller now!). It's still a BRA!!
I am now four weeks post rads (can't believe how quickly time is passing) and feeling fairly normal again. Still taking work easy and resting when needing to but better. Have an appointment with oncologist on Wednesday and will see what he says but I will be grilling him over the Tamoxifen question again. I need to find out exactly how ER+ I am.

Enough of me and sorry to have bored you with what is really trivia. Aren't we doing well in the Olympics? So much better than I thought we would and I am so pleased for all our medal winners especially Andy Murray yesterday. I am about to move to the Olympics bench now for tonights coverage.

Hope you are all well.

Not sure which bench to sit on today, the 'I really enjoyed that creme egg' bench, the ' damn, I was doing well on the healthier diet/ cut out sugar until that creme egg' bench, or the 'hmmmm.....six creme eggs for a quid, pass me my purse and a large carrier bag' bench....

Sorry, don't fancy snails (slugs with a home, my son calls them) but frogs legs in garlic butter are lovely. Food obsessed, me???

Sounds delicious CM !!
Back in the day...................we picked our own wulks (Scottish name) and dulce, so day at the seaside then back home boil the wulks and seaweed and have a feast. Makes my mouth water thinking about it, truly! All had to be covered in vinegar, best ever. Those were the days..........feel a song coming on Mary Hopkins me thinks xx

Snails - garlic-flavoured pencil erasers. A bit like squid or octopus rings, which are just like the rubber bands the posties discard.

I've eaten frogs legs - they tasted like chicken. Quite like snails too, take me back to my childhood when my dear Dad used to go to the market on a Saturday and come back with a brown paper bag full of winkles that we used a pin to get out of the shells.
Aye - "back in't day"

Have a wonderful holiday Vercors - it will be so lovely to speak your first language I'm sure.

Had snails way back in 1975 on a school day trip to France... all I can recall is the garlic butter and the chewiness! I'm sure Benchland snails will taste wonderful. Never tried frogs legs though.

Back to watching the Olympics for me!

WHO turned on that tv????????xx

Never had snails or frogs legs (have led a sheltered life) I think we could munch them around the bonfire with the marshmallows and toffee apples whilst singing merry tunes. Have a great holiday!
Have had to turn off tv and get on with the dreaded H, which includes a bit of ironing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next what to have for tea................................mmmmmmmmm off to sit on the CBA bench instead xx

Vercors, lots of macarons please, rose petal is my favourite... Have fun!!!

Nice one twinky!
It's been busy here. Singing starting again. If I join you it will rain even more, so I will sit back and enjoy.
Can't sit on the Olympic bench, it is not comfortable enough for me. Every time I sit on it within minutes I am off do to something else except when the tennis is on.
Now on the hospital bench, having a loading dose of herceptin, tonight rest, tomorrow pack, sunday off home for 3 weeks. Going to the Alps, via Normandy and then visit a couple of Chateaux along the Loire Valley.
During that time I will be a lurker as I will check my emails but it is unlikely that I will post.
Shall I bring back some frog legs or snails to benchland?

Love the poem Twinky - very thoughtful and thought-provoking.

I did some ironing in front of the Olympics last night - I can multi-task, me! As I did so I remembered an absent friend who loved to iron, and I smiled.

Mysterious golden orb back hovering over Glasgow this morning.... so long as it's not hoovering eh ladies?!

Twinks, did you REALLY use the H word?! Shame on you!

Life is short, live it
Love is rare, grab it
Anger is bad, dump it
Fear is awful, face it
A memory is sweet, cherish it

Saw this posted on Twitter this evening by @OfficialCancer.

I too am glued to the Olympics bench. Finding it absolutely riveting & euphoric too & still over a week to go! Housework can wait....

Twinky x

Well done Revcat and Katy an amazing performance.
Revcat , that's not good news. Ok your op is not life threatening but a 3-4 month wait turning into 12 for something that's very important for self esteem is unacceptable. I would be doing more than muttering if I were in your shoes.

Yes, there is superglue on Olympic bench I can't get off it. Have just watched Chris Hoy etc. win the gold medal, threw my arms up on the air and have hurt sore boob. The Olympics are dangerous! Haven't we done well today!

Will join you all later at the bonfire after tonights coverage ( go Rebecca!) finishes and the superglue melts until tomorrow.

Revcat, muttering is human behaviour and you're allowed. Can I dip my strawbs in melted chocolate please?

La di da di da di da, la di da di da da.... OK Katy let's get singing!

Defending our title in 2016... yes, indeed quite feasible

Well I'm alternating between the muttering bench and the guilty bench this evening.... muttering cos I rang my PS's secretary to see what was what, only to be told they've cancelled the entire list and I *might* get a date in September but I might not. So annoyed... the 3-4 month wait is heading towards a year now. So guilty... this is just evening up my lopsidedness, it really does not matter if I get bumped (again) for someone having an immediate recon. Oh mutter, mutter, mutter...Not very rev-y behaviour I fear.

Guilt hurled into lake [SPLASH] and off the bench.... now here are some strawberries and cream for anyone who'd like a few...

Well done RevCat, clap clap clap!!! Must say special thank you to you for the sychronised flushing, I would never have made it without you, I knew we would be winners!! Wearing my gold medal just now and still flushing, I think I am going to be available for 2016 (will still be taking tamoxifen) so yippeeeeeeeeee!!!
Toffee apples yum yum, I'm up for the bonfire, can we have a barbecue and a sing song too???
Please, please!
The Benchland choir (who can forget that wonderful singing) re the Summer Panto, c'mon girls!! meet you by the lake on the sandy bit, near the boingy stuff, in between the life belts and the bungees, not far from the trampoline but not as far as the cave xx