71092members
373653posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

grumpy

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

R I P Barley

My dear little Barley was put to sleep this morning due to massive kidney and organ failure.
She isnow having the best sleep of her life.
grumpy and very sad today

RevCat

Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
Put the alligators on the top
Borrow a Woodies flame-thrower
And burn the rotten lot!

Well I am having a lovely fun day in my kitchen... big cauldron of roasted butternut squash soup about to be made; blackberry and apple flap to be made (like a crumble but with flapjack mix in stead of crumble mix) and batch cooking some mince with assorted accessories! Should make a good bonfire repast.

Barley brown, Pukey cat sends you her favourite treat of roast breast of chicken and hopes you soon feel back to yourself.

Stash of glitterberry juice (which does not cause problems to carpets) by benches round the bonfire. A big box of 'extra sparkly sparklers' has been delivered too. And we have a speical installation which will reproduce the Woodies two-fingered salute in gold fireworks, how good it that?

Forty fleeces, gloves and hats at the ready! A grand night in prospect.
GIJaneH

Thanks FF (for tip toeing) and no, it wasn't me on the Glitterberry juice last week. I don't think I'm going to live that one down - but it was a good wheeze.
Now, can someone fill me in on this weekend's malarkies? I hear in the Woods that we're having a firework fest of some sort... do I need to bring anything? when? where? what's happening? My nosey nose is twitching!!! Can I dry the washing round the bonfire? Or will Elfin Safety object?
J xx

foxyferret

Welcome back Jane , of course we noticed your absence but we knew you were enjoying the sunshine and those of us not on holiday were properly jealous. I hope you had a wonderful time.
I'm tip toeing ....
JCJ

Welcome Back GIJ! I hope you had a good holiday? So It wasn't you, off your face on glitterberry juice putting toffee apples in inappropriate places last week?
GIJaneH

Hellooo... I'm back!! What d'you mean, you never noticed I wasn't here??!?! Been in 30 degree sunshine for 2 weeks, so much in need of a bonfire. I can't hope to catch up with the 147 posts I've missed, so.. tittoos? Barley poorly? Chocc & Pear cakes, yes PLEASE! Got to bed at 3.30 this morning.. bit tired now.... please tip toe round the benches for a while.. thanks.. zzzzzzzz....

JCJ

Oh dear Grumpy - it all comes at once doesn't it? Here's a virtual get well card for Barley:

GET WELL SOON BARLEY! Woof!

(Oh b***er! It lost the font and colour when I pasted from word - It had pink text and pawprints around it - ah well - it's the thought that counts??)

All the best for you appointment too, I hope you finally manage to sort your balancing operation out!! I'll keep everything crossed and save you the most luscious of the choccy pEAr cakes. Just laughed when I noticed I'd writted chocolate and pAIr in last post - ha ha! How Freudian was that??????

I blame it on Friday night tiredness - who was I kidding saying I wasn't as exhausted this week? It's hit me now! zzzzzzzz
foxyferret

A virtual Get Well card is on its way to Barley. Hope that maybe some tablets will be able to keep her healthy. Pets are such a joy and such a worry and I agree vets bills - ouch - but we pay them willingly. I have no pet at the moment but I am seriously thinking of getting a cat/kitten.
Monday is a big day for you, I really hope all goes well for you and hankies,glitterberry juice (still haven't tried that) and cake will be available at the bench right next to the lake .
grumpy

Thanks everyone for your good wishes for wee Barley - she's just had 24hrs at the vet with a drip in. She is receptive to the notion of virtual Get Well cards she said to tell you all!!! Dicky kidneys seems to be the problem, so just keeping fingers,toes and everything else crossed until our next appt on Monday. Which also happens to be clinic day re: nip and tuck, and the Big Rehearsal in the evening. So I shall be in need of lace hankies, glitterberry juice and lots of CAKE by 10 pm on Monday. Choc and pear cake sounds wonderful esp as virtual cake doesn't contain calories.
Now must do the on-line banking to take money out of the Dogs Account to put in my account to pay all the vet bills - ouch!!
grumpy ( and a bit flustered today)

JCJ

Be careful ladies, if those glam frocks are not flame proof. What with bonfires, fireworks and the Woodies (with a 'd' or an 's'!) wielding flamethrowers. We don't want to alarm Elfin Safety!

YahoooOOO! It's the weekend! 🙂 And I do believe I'm not quite so exhausted this week - perhaps that's because I know there's only one more week to go?!!

Really excited about tomorrow's fireworks!

I've been given 2 big bags of pears, from school - (free fruit for the kiddies but most of them won't eat pears!) with demands for my chocolate and pair cakes, so I'll make a megga batch: some for school and some for Benchland.

Welcome back Evie - just in time for the pretty sparkly things tomorrow - no writing rude words with the sparklers now (that's MY job! )

I hope it's not our fireworks that have made Barley ill? - oh it can't be, virtual fireworks don't frighten the pets because they are silent! Phew! We want her to get better, not worse.
katytc

Back is ok, still a little tender but am moving around a bit, made the mistake many years ago of taking docs advice and rested for two weeks, don't think I have ever been as pained as I was then!!!
grumpy seems to be the clear winner so far regarding the "tittoos".
JCJ looks like we will be having a "dance off" regarding the "hairy" face, still think I can win this!!!
RevCat, great you enjoyed your glam evening, perhaps next party we can all be glammed up!
Really good to see you back Eve, hope you can come to the fireworks party, lots of hugs to you xx

Eve76

I have just joined you ladies with tittoos, I got mine on Tuesday. Only 3 though, so not enough to win any competition.
By now all eyebrows are gone and the last one of the eyelashes is clinging on desperately. There is a thin layer of fluff sprouting on my otherwise bald head, making me feel like a dandelion clock. Can't wait for 'proper hair'...
10 days of my last cycle of chemo left and then radiotherapy starts straight away. No rest for the wicked... 😉

Katy - yahoo and congrats! CM - congrats on having your port out. 🙂
RevCat

Well lovely ladies I am on the unusually-glam bench tonight after going to a BCC lingerie evening at House of Fraser in Galsgow. A really, really good evening, lots of laughter, lots of good advice, 'real women' modelling lovely bras one with a prosthesis, one with a reconstruction, one who'd had a WLE, optional fitting with no obligation to buy... but I did! Also lots of free samples from the store's cosmetics counters. Now have two gorgeous new bras that fit really well and the sports ones can be consigned to the back of the drawer! If you get the opportunity to go to a BCC lingerie evening take it - very worthwile and full of 'feel good' factors.
applestreet

I was terrified of my hair not growing back...now it has...don't get me wrong..I am v grateful..I know some ladies struggle...I look like my nanna...literally...I know I am nearly 54 and shouldn't be bothered but I am...it just has to grow a bit more and then I can get something done with it...I hope my hairdresser has some ideas...anything not brillo grey and curly would suit me to the floor...it's quite wiry in the feel of it which no amount of conditioner seems to improve..I tried to straighten it a bit yesterday and ended up crying with laughter at the state of it...it just stuck up everywhere..mini ken dodd style...onwards and upwards...it'll soon be the end of nov and I'll be on the way to looking a bit more like the old me...katy..jcj is right..gentle movement is better than staying still..hope it's improving...

JCJ

Glad you lke your new hair Ali, and I hope you will like yours, too, applestreet. Mine is still long (sorry) wavy and increasingly grey. It seems to be getting much thinner and drier - it's becoming like old straw! I always wanted to age gracefully - I didn't want to colour my hair as once you start, you have to keep on to avoid the badger look, but I'm not sure whether to do something radical now.

Keep moving gently, Katy. That always seems to be the best policy when I put my back out - fairly regular occurance - but when I did it a couple of weeks ago it got better much quicker than usual - so perhaps I AM taking the anit-inflammatories, not the placebo, on the REACT trial??! 🙂

I think I shall be a serious rival for you in the hairy face competition. I struggled BEFORE hormone 'Therapy' so it's just awful now! (We need a new furry-faced emoticon!!)

RevCat, I'm glad it's not just me in the half-and-half freeze/flush brigade! Knees downwards are freezing and waist (well, OK, middle - don't really HAVE a waist anymore thanks to Ta'podgy'fen!) upwards boiling. The hotter my top half becomes the colder my legs feel. Horrible. Granny blanket deployed.
applestreet

I am planning a haircut around my birthday at the end of next month....I'll have enough then for a cut that someone would choose...am going to have it coloured from old lady brillo which I am sporting at the moment...to what..I haven't decided...it's grey and curly at the moment and I hate it....but..it's better than being bald!!!!!...Ali..congrats on your new do....katy...hope the glitterberry juice works and you can start moving...

katytc

Thank you girls, I seem to be a big loser regarding "tittoos" so not even going to enter, but the hairy face comp is a different matter, maybe a clear winner there!!
Ali, glad you love your new cut!!
Woke up not as painful so see what today brings, maybe even be up and around on my skateboard soon, that glitterberry juice seems to work wonders xx

Ali_H

Hi all! All this talk of glitter, food and fireworks is just what I need on a cold, wet night! I've only got 3 tattoos, but I did get lots of pen lines too at yesterday's simulator session.... Dummy run on Friday then 25 sessions start on Monday. Yippee!!! Well, sort of yippee anyway but you know what I mean!
Had a FABULOUS hair cut today, the new spiky growth over the baldy bit now blends really nicely with the lanky straggly bit that managed to hang on in there thanks to cold cap. It was such a wonderfully normal thing to do

Big smiles to everyone with good news, clear scans and otherwise happy days, and huge hugs to anyone struggling xx
RevCat

Hurrah Katy, that's fabulabulous news! Glitterberry juice all round methinks. 🙂

Hurrah CM on freedom from portacath 🙂 Go carefully on that blue mean machine!

No danger of glitter here... far too sparkly!

Hot flush, cold hands/toes... not a good mix! And back to ark construction in Glasgow.

Busy, busy... but looking forward to another bonfire soon... 🙂
nannabarb

Big congrats Katy, rest up that back ready for the Dance of the 40 Fleeces.
Foxyferret you are oh so lucky to mot have the flushes, but im sure its ok for you to join in the dance.
I defo wouldnt win tittoo comp as I only have 2 dots... unless you count the semi permanment eyebrows
Choccie Muffin, ditto foxyferret
Grumpy, reckon Barley will be just fine soon xxx
foxyferret

Thank you JCJ but glitter was NOT necessary for Yr 2 lighthouses. I hope your caretaker appreciated your efforts to clean up , or maybe he /she doesn't have the aversion to it that I have. I think I will start a campaign on here to educate all teachers and TA's that glitter has no place in a classroom!!!!
Katy - brilliant news, but sorry about your back.
I'm eight weeks into Ta'poxi'fen and still no hot flushes so can't join in with the 40 cardies and can't win the tittoo competition either as I've only got three. Hope Barley is better tonight.
CM - glad port removed and you're ok.
ChoccieMuffin

Just a quick one, as I've got to get on a bus in a minute. Port removed safely, and I'm allowed to drive now but as I stayed at OH's house (and it was a bit cold and rainy) I haven't gone home yet. But have something in town in - omg 20 mins! - so I've got to dash.

grumpy

Bags I win the tittoo competition - I've got 10 dots! Beat that if you dare!
Barley progress report - as soon as one symptom is under control another one rears its ugly head. While she can still give me the dirty look when the vet sticks in a needle, she can't be all that poorly!

and it's raining so hard that the Lakes will overflow soon - thank goodness I live up a bit of a hill.

grumpy

katytc

Your beef stew sounds lovely, look forward to having some on Sat!! Easy tea for me tonight pizza and some spaghetti, then a lemon tart with double cream, obviously not caring about the blobby belly tonight!!
I'm with you for the 40 fleeces JCJ, have got the heating on but can hardly feel my fingers typing this, treated myself to a cosy zip up and thick jogging bottoms for wearing around the house, also bought a summer dress (sale) for my holiday!! I too cannot believe you could be soooooooooo cold, my teeth are chattering but when I go to bed I'm boiled alive, why can't you be like this during the day?????
Back is still pretty sore so have to alternate between standing and sitting the longer you sit, the stiffer you get, have got some tablets from doc so hopefully this won't last too long! xx

JCJ

Cold and flushes are a horrid combination, I've decided! How is is possible to be cold and boiling at the same time? It isn't? Well I can. So there... with knobs on!!

Katy Yahoo de booby indeed! That is super news. More excuse to celebrate! 🙂

I hope everything went OK for you yesterday, Choccie and you're not too woozy ( no. I DIDN'T say woosie!!) from the anna's pathetic (anaesthetic to people outside our family - son had friend called Anna in primary school and, years ago, he mis-heard me when I was talking about an operation - wanted to know WHY Anna was pathetic! Hehehe)

Thought of you today, FF, and found myself apologising to you in my head. Yes, you guessed it.... glitter!! Year 2 decided it was a vital necessity for their lighthouse models. I did my best to get it all off the tables and carpet before the caretaker arrived! I seem to have quite a bit about my person though - I'll dump it in the lake so the alligators think they've got glitterberry juice too! Or should that be GUILTYberry juice? 🙂

Yummy stew cooking. It took a mammoth effort to prepare it as soon as I got in, kn***ered from school, but now I can plonk on the CBA bench for a couple of hours while it cooks. I'll save some for the firework party.

I'm practising a new version of teh dance of the 40 cardis: It's the dance of the 40 fleecy jackets, as befits the change in season!
applestreet

Dance of the 40 cardis sounds just what I need today...tights on under thick leggings..soggy but sunny in the Nwest but just opened the patio doors and its bl**dy cold!!! You would think with flushes I would be warm but I'm not....have to go out this afternoon...furry boots and a scarf for me then!!...

applestreet

Katy...congrats...that it for another 12 months?...take it easy with your back....

katytc

On the "happy NED, Nedette, Neddy" bench, just received my mammo letter, Yahoo be dooby!! I'm normal!!
Only thing is that I can't actually sit down to celebrate as I bent down to put frying pan in drawer must have twisted funnily and my back has gone into spasm, It's ouchy ouchy sore, so I'm the one who is grinning but also grimacing standing near said bench, think I need the glitterberry juice now, xx

katytc

Glitterberry juice ready, marshmallows ready, I'll bring desserts, choc cheesecake and trifle!!
It's gonna be a feast!! Shall we dress up cause of Halloween?? Am thinking I could be an ice statue, though when I flush that may cause problems so may have to do a rethink?
Can we also have the "dance of the 40 cardis", I just love it!!
The barge can perhaps bring the "woosies" oops sorry typo the "Woodies" and we could have a fanfare entrance, it's just toooooooo exciting for words!!
May introduce a new competitions for who has the most "tittoos" and who has the "hairiest" face, oh what fun!!
Forget "hump day" (though I do like it) there's lots of fun to be had here!
Hope you got on fine CM, keep seeing a flash, I know it'sthat blue mean machine, you are just sooooo whizzy.
YD is a bit calmer today, thank you for your kind words, the worry never ends regardless of how old they are and grumpy hope Barley is better xx

nannabarb

As I never knew the old forum, haven't had any problems with this one, just save threads im interested in, in a BC forum folder in my favourites,
OOOh may have to change the drink of choice to Gin, and the butternut squash and bean casserole sounds delish.
Know what you mean about days... hump day is an expression my daughters use, really one day is much the same as the next to me, being 'self employed' (ie doing as little as possible in the longest possible time :))))
See you Saturday Supertrouper xx
supertrouper

stupid new forum

supertrouper

Happy Hump day indeed!! I had forgotten about that. Wednesday is a bit of a "nothing" day for me. I love Tuesdays and Thursdays and obviously Fridays! Hate Mondays - think I will throw them into the lake.
I've made a Butternut squash and mixed beans casserole - will freeze it for the next bonfire. Anyone who's following a diet at the moment will be delighted to know that it has only 4 pro points in it for a huge portion. Although if you are a woodie you will know that any food eaten in the woods has no calories at all (and that includes all the drinks that involve alcohol - and anything including GIN has negative calories!!)

supertrouper

Off to the tent in the woods - time to hoist the two fingered flag and retire for the night.
Come along Buggerit and Hogie - "Heal"

nannabarb

Supertrouper, nice to meet you. Think I have called Buggerit a few times today, so apologies if I've distracted him.
Having trouble sleeping tonight, so gonna sit on the bench for a while and watch the moon set over the sea, and day? dream about lovely sunsets, relaxed meals in beachside restataurants and carefree days. Dont have any glitterberry juice (tried it last summer - yum) so a large glass of Smirnoff Blacklabel vodka, pressie from my 50th, nearly 3 years ago will have to do. Cant wait for saturday's bonfire, will be throwing a few things to the aligators, then barbequeing them on the bonfire while I eat a few jacket potatoes with lots of butter and chilli. Hope to see you all there to chill out for a few hours. Happy Hump Day (mid week, all downhill to the weekend...) everyone xxx
supertrouper

Back again with Buggeritt and Hogie (new foster dog from land of NED)
Flipping freezing today although I had a random hot flush that I managed to plug into the national grid and I believe it ran Blackpool illuminations for over an hour tonight! Feeling chilly again now so will go and sit on the heated bench whilst the dogs go and rummage around looking for any left over Alli burgers from the party.
Hope Barley is feeling better soon - I am a qualified distant healer so just bring him into bench land and I'll try and sort him out. Buggeritt is a good healer too.

foxyferret

I'm bringing the baked potatoes and lots of different fillings. I've never had glitterberry juice but i'm looking forward to trying it.
CM - hope your portacath removal went ok. Hopefully you're now home and able to eat whatever you fancy.
Katy - hope YD's surgery goes ok. My daughter had an operation last year and I've never worried more.
It's been a lovely day here in the SWest, no wellies needed here, oh parkin, yes please.

Pets....it's horrible when they're ill, they can't tell you what is wrong. Hope Barley is getting better.
JCJ

Yes please. More fireworks at the weekend, and every weekend until Bonfire night is officially over! Hopefully, we'll be celebrating Choccie's release from her portacath! MMMMnnnn I'll have some parkin please. I've got some bananas ready to stuff.
applestreet

Soggy day today in the Nwest...have donned my wellies to walk the pebble path down from the woods...tent all soggy again....grumpy..best wishes for your little girl...our own is a killer cat with a mind of her own and indiana jones tendencies...she was stalking a big seagull before..it'll just peck her on the head again...we would be devastated if anything happened to her...Katy..best wishes for your daughter...I am the ultimate worrier where my girls are concerned....choccie...I had my hickman out with a local but wouldn't advise it...is a portacath different?..best wishes for your stay in the stalag and congrats on the end of your treatment..Ohhh..the sun has made an appearance..wonder how long for...are we having another bonfire this weekend as I have made a big parkin cake and will bring it along with more fireworks...

ChoccieMuffin

Well, you disappear for a couple of days and there's a massive flipping party going on!

I've been zooming around this weekend on the blue machine (sorry if I went a bit close to some of you, those exhausts are very loud) but had a blast. Did a bit of observed riding on a scheme run by the police, and knocked up 150 miles over the weekend, just riding, practicing, and hopefully improving. So I'll be less likely to crash into any stray alligators. Just as well, they make a real mess when you squish 'em.

Off to the Stalag this afternoon for what I see as the very end of my cancer treatment. My lovely breast surgeon is going to whip out my portacath! I'm so excited! And I'm also a complete wuss so I asked for it to be done with a general anaesthetic, so my car is parked and will have to stay that way until tomorrow evening.

Not enjoying the lack of anything to eat or drink though, so I'm drooling at the thought of the toffee apples and perhaps some kebabs, or a baked potato in the embers of the bonfire.

Right then, off to find my dressing gown and slippers, and need to download a book onto my kindle. See you on the other side!

katytc

Hope your girl is better today grumpy.
Found out yesterday YD has to have an op, minor but still a worry, be very glad when it's all over, they can fit her in during the next fortnight. She is such a big scaredy sooooooooo will be on the "reassuring" bench over the next few weeks.
Pouring with rain here, YUK, anyway, it's an excuse for another cup of tea xx

grumpy

Please explain re: alligators - you throw your guilt/anger/frustration/fear into the lake and the alligators eat it up! Then we eat the alligators - job sorted!
thanks for good wishes for Barley Brown - I have passed on the messages from the Virtual Aunties so she's VERY puzzled!!! Aunties (and Uncles) are people who give out biscuits and tasty snacks..............

grumpy

RevCat

Grumpy I hope poor Barley Brown is soon feeling better... still eating is good but even so a worrying time for you. Big hug for you.

Nannabarb, the less welcome creatures in Benchland are alligators but they make yumy burgers - taste like, well whatever kind of burger you prefer. Glitterberry juice was a J2O flavour last year but we took it to new levels!

Hugs toall who need them.
nannabarb

Thankyou for the welcome Foxyferret/JCJ and everyone else, I do love a good firework party (especially as the 'official' one is my birthday)
Me and my OH and Grandson have pledged that WHEN my hair finally makes a re- appearance, we are going to tie my wig to a rocket and send it to the stars (GS thinks it would be very funny if it fell back to earth and landed on someone's head )
Looking fwd to next w'end, like the sound of lots of glitterberry juice and what is an Aliburger???
Grumpy, hope you pet is OK, have 2 cats and we (particularly soppy OH) would be devastated if anything happened to them
JCJ

At least she's still wanting her food, grumpy, so she can't be that bad. I hope they get her sorted soon. Doggy hugs.
katytc

Oh grumpy, what a worry, hope she is better very soon, xx

Quail

Oh Grumpy, how awful for you, and, of course, for her. I hope the vet can help her feel better soon!!! Aren't SEs the WORST.
q.

grumpy

But she's still wanting her food, and did a little walk this morning. She just paces round and round all the time and she is worn out.
grumpy

grumpy

I'm on the Very Worried Bench today - little Barley Brown is poorly, back legs all wobbly, streams of saliva, being sick. Vets yesterday, today and tomorrow. Apparently her new drops have s/e (nothing new there then) so just hoping there's no permanent damage.
oh dear
grumpy

Quail

Oh no, a fireworks party and I missed it. I come back from a weekend away in the land of NED and find that, once again, the fireworks have been spinning, the bonfire burning, the liquor flowing and ali burgers all round. So, yes please, lets do it again next weekend.
I can join you on the freezing bench today, Katytc--its so dull and chilly out. I am wearing my "puff", a down zip up the front sleeveless vest (gillet?) that one is supposed to wear outdoors, but I live in it indoors during the winter, and that and a fleece scarf seem to help ward off the chill. I look like a dammed idiot, but better a warm idiot than a cold fashion plate. Especially since I am still sporting hair that is so short that it would flatter no-one but a skin-head. I'm thinking about digging out one of my merino buffs that were the standby last winter just to try to keep my ears warm!
Anyway, I'm all set for next Sat, and have started hording fireworks for the night, in the meanwhile, hope you are all enjoying a quiet day in benchland or beyond.

katytc

Aaaah, glitterberry juice not had any for ages.........def have some on Sat for the next fireworks party!! ( who can forget Jane's adventures with said juice)
Thank you JCJ for tidying up, as I managed to let hoover out of cupboard thought I would give Benchland a hoover too! There was a funny rattling noise at one point, I think I may have hoovered up someone's marbles!! Soooo sorry!!
I am sitting on the "freezing" bench this morning, heating on, multi clothing, cup of tea and a hot water bottle on my back, I don't think this is normal to feel this cold, any ideas ???? I asked at the docs ages ago and he said some people are just COLD, cheers for that doc xx