71280members
374407posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

nannabarb

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

See you later fellow Wooden Benches xxx
katytc

Reformed group and the dance of the 40 cardis, sounds like a dream come true, getting more excited by the minute, we are famed for our singing perhaps we can join in chorus and dance at the same time?? xx

GIJaneH

me 4! Love it!

Def. a stage in the JM - the band (The Twisted Nipple) sang regularly, and we're hoping to re-form tonight, so if you want to do the dance of the 40 cardigans, it would be great. Lots of us could join in !!!!!!

Bacon butties being served in the JM, to fortify us as we get ready....

Just leaving a tray-ful by the CBA bench....

see you later! love Jane xx

katytc

Yahoo be dooby/booby, it's Sat, party time lalala!
All the wonderful smells of cooking wafting their way around Benchland, it's just soooooooooo exciting.
Can't decide whether to have face paint or not, might get lost in all the hairiness, oh what to do???
Thought we could show the woodies our 40 cardi dance, what do you think?? Or do you think they will think we are showing off? Is there a stage in the JM?
"Wooden bench" yep that sums it all up, hee hee!
See you later at the barge, such an adventure.................xx

jellytot83

Haha, me 3! X
nannabarb

Hahaha Ali, brilliant, I must be one too xxx
Ali_H

I'm a Benchie and a Woody....does this make me a Wooden Bench?
jellytot83

It's me who's offered to do the face painting so just let me know what you need doing 🙂 x
RevCat

hee hee hee .... just so long as you don't meet yourself coming back...

See, it IS possible to be in two places at once after all!
Ali_H

Help, dilemma!!! My two favourite places on here are the woods and benchland, I wander between the two.... Do I get on the barge at the woods and come through to benchland to collect more friends.... Or wait for it here.... Or wait in the woods to welcome it.... Confused!!!!!!!!
foxyferret

I've got sparklers too so there will be lots to go around. Dress rehearsal for my costume today and it's looking good, I think a Woodie offered to face paint so that's all I need now.
There's no rain here so canal banks will be safe and we'll all get there. Is this the first Woodies/Benchland get together? If so, I can see it being the first of many.
I feel a definite yen for sleeping in a yew tree nest.
RevCat

Whooppee! Hope the ark/barge has lots of space to carry all the cupcakes and lashings of ginger beer and alliburgers and everything! I'm so glad you ordered the weather. I will also bing an extra large box of sparklers for everyone.
applestreet

Katy...I bet we're all going to look fantastic!!!...benchland ladies...you will see the barge on the canal...sometimes it's an ark but it's all decked out with green and orange lights to transport all our benchland friends for frivolity in the wood..oooohh i'm all excited....ST is a bit worried the canal banks may give out with the rain but I have ordered dry weather for tomorrow...

katytc

All quiet in Benchland, I'm assuming all busy baking/making goodies for the Woodies party!!
Can't wait won't take me any time at all to get ready tomorrow, what time is the barge leaving?
We're going to make a Grand Entrance, Don't think the Woodies realise how attractive, stunning etc we all are, think they're in for a great surprise xx

foxyferret

Firmly on the IDIOT bench today. I was at work this morning and now that the floor is done,the tables and chairs needed to go back. Chairs were no problem at all so I picked up the table ( please bear in mind that I've done this 100's of times before) and carried it to its place.
On putting it down I quickly realised that I really shouldn't have done that! Shoulder and top of arm now aching.
I was totally on auto -pilot and just did it without thinking. Other tables have been left for teachers to do with an apology note on them.

Ali - that made me chuckle.
nannabarb

Thanks Jelly, yes my friend mentioned the Olive Tree as well, and I think our Macmillan /BCN is partly based there. May have a look x
nannabarb

Its done it again!!! my comment went above your post!!! Is Dr Who in the house again? (I see we are still posting in the future too...)
jellytot83

I'm in Haywards Heath so not too far at all. I had other treatment at Crawley. I think that's pretty close to you 🙂 if you google Olive Tree that's cancer support based at Crawley Hospital & they offer same things as Fountain Centre (massages, reiki, acupuncture, reflexology etc etc) all for free. Worth haing a look 🙂 x
Ali_H

I enjoy the dance of the forty cardis, also the duvet hokey cokey (not to be confused with duvet hanky panky, which is a different thing altogether;) )
I rather startled someone recently, I was having a chemo pause / tam-enhanced hot flush and a very nice lady said "it can't be a hot flush dear, you're far too young". I replied "I'm afraid I can, it's the drugs you see"....sadly it was a long time later I realised she would have no idea I meant cancer drugs. Ah well....
nannabarb

Hahaha Ali, that made me laugh out loud, sort of think I do (foot >mouth = direct line) xx
nannabarb

Jelly, it made it so much nicer, I live near Reigate, so could have done the A25 or M25/A3 routes, but Ranmore was so much nicer, and didnt take any longer. I had nearlt all my treatment at St Lukes, and my friend with secondarys is back there now every week for more treatment. Rads were fine there, you do need to take your own dressing gown though 🙂 , but out of 15 rads, I think I only had to wait longer than 10 minutes twice. Easier to park in Tesco than try to get a space outside St. Lukes.
I never made the most of the Fountain centre, as its a bit of a trek from mine if you aren't actually having treatment, but I did have a massage there, was wonderful, and you stay fully clothed (loose clothing) throughout, very relaxing. May go back for another one of these days (think I am still eligible)
jellytot83

NannaB, as well as being my Fester twin we must be located fairly near each other 🙂 I'm having my treatment at Guildford at the moment. Soon to be having radiotherapy so will be driving to St Luke's every day for a number of weeks, good job it's a pretty route x
nannabarb

Evening all - sounds like we're going to have a FAB party - I make it 3 Uncle Festers, Me, Jellytot and Eve76
GIJane, Cousin IT is a character in the Addams Family, long hair from the top of its head to its toes.
Oh Grumpy, wish I had read your post last night - should have had 'flu jab today and completely forgot - think I need to sit on the Oh Sh** bench with Buggerit and Feckit for a while.
While I was driving around in the (little bit) od sunshine we had today, it reminded me that exactly a year ago I was in my last week of rads, and every day drove across Ranmore Common (near Guildford in Surrey) through all the beautiful autumnal colours. It was always such a bitter-sweet journey, because every time I did it I was one step closer to the end of my treatment, and because it reminded me of my mum who was killed in an accident in October 4 years ago, Ironic, cos Autumn was always her favourite time of year.
Probably some of the reasons why I like BENCHLAND and the woods so much
foxyferret

Just tell me who they are and I'll bite them. I'm just in the mood to annihilate anyone who crosses me.
Eve76

Thank you, everybody, for the encouraging words regarding the Tamoxifen and skin care during rads.
Am already experiencing chemopausal hot flushes and really don't like the idea of spending the next few years with more of the same. It's about 20 years too early for that. 😞
Foxyferret, thanks for the tip about the aloe vera. I have some of that too and will definitely use it. Btw I like your choice of costume for the party and could think of a few people I'd recommend to be bitten...
Have a nice evening everyone!
supertrouper

Okay, Okay - I want to come to the party too. I have my costume all ready for the weekend for a party in NED so I guess it will work in here. Might have to paint some white spots on Buggeritt and FECKIT. Have you guessed what I am going to be yet?
Cruella DeVille!!! BRING ME THOSE PUPPIES

GIJaneH

BOth! AV Gell and Cream (though I used a baby moisturiser)...
flamethrower in benchland could be interesting FF!
cousin ltt?????? que? pray enlighten me......
just fell asleep watching Autumnwatch....

have a great evening - I'm off to the JM...

Jane

Cackles

Thanks Foxy....what can I bring? I did visit the odd distillery or five!!!! Who likes a Malt?
A lovely version of porridge is to add brown sugar on top and melt it under the grill. Then add a couple of teaspoon of Drambuie. I used to take it with salt but have been converted by Craig at the Sorn Inn to this version!!!

foxyferret

No you've not missed it, it's this weekend, so you're just in time to sort out your costume.
Glad you enjoyed your holiday.
Cackles

Evening all. I am uncovered. I have just returned from a super couple of weeks in Bonnie Scotland enjoying that rare thing called sunshine. As for a lovely visit to a virtual friends kirk..... What more can I want. Perfection. Revcat you were all I expected plus some!!!! Spurtles this way please. I bought a sack of oats on my way home in a superb butchers in Lockerbie. A visit to this establishment as become a ritual over many years. Vecors you sound in need of a lunch. What a horrid day.
Applestreet , Grumpy katyc and foxy have I missed yet another party???? Blast.
Everybody having DXT slap on the aqueous every night and all will be well. You don't have to rub it in just slap it on thickly under a cotton tee shirt and then go to bed and let it do its work. If you are getting pink you could take a low dose asprin, I found it helped with the inflammation...in fact I didn't get any.
Off to the contented bench
Hugs allxxxx

foxyferret

Well I'm going to be a vampire and hopefully will be able to get back some of the blood that everybody wants to take out of me!!
Ladies, dont worry, you'll all be safe, I shall only bite any medical professionals I recognise on my way to the party. My GP surgery nurse is first on my list. Don't think I've ever had such a bruised arm as I've got tonight.
How nice of the Woodies to invite us. I quite fancy a go with a flamethrower but that might be a bit dangerous....no, it could be VERY dangerous!.

Eve - although I did use some aqueous cream during rads I am a real fan of the Aloe Vera 99.9% gel which I found less messy.
katytc

Wow apple, wolfman how GLORIOUS!
Have had to have a seat, have been laughing so much xx
Two Uncle Festers
Morticia
Cousin Itt
Tin Man
Wolf Man

We are going to be SPECIAL, girls xx

applestreet

Revcat..I am sooooo..envious...no leg hair!!!...never really had hairy legs before...now could do an impression of the wolfman..legwise..and also in..whisper...facial hair...mind you it might come in handy if I rip an old blouse a bit and turn up at he party as the wolfman..wouldn't take much...just no shaving for a couple of days..leg shaving that is...just read that back to myself..I pluck my face... I wouldn't admit that to anyone except you ladies..I know you all understand se's...Eve..take the tam if your onc has prescribed them..flushes are all I've had...the rest of the possible se's on the sheet in the box haven't happened...yet..but I am of the thinking that tam is another thing to chuck at this crappy condition that we've been saddled with...see you all at the party ladies..bet we all look fab...

katytc

Eve, I was an aqueous girl too, lathered the stuff on , you may have no side effects whatsoever regarding "tammy", you just never know. The dance of the 40 cardis is lots of fun so it's not all bad.......!
No wet armpit here either and only a little hair grows at the top, pretty cute!!
RevCat, I would def go for tinman!
We are all going to be gorgeous, so far two Uncle Festers, cousin Itt and the tinman, the WOODIES really don't know what they are letting themselves in for, how fabulous are we???? xx

RevCat

Hee hee Grumpy, I too used lashing of aqueous and have frequently been told how beautiful my scars are! Between that, my amazing reconstruction and lovely veins (depsite six rounds of chemo!) what more could a girl want? Well eyebrows maybe. But if that's all I've lost (apart from leg hair - an unexpected bonus!) I have no grounds for complaint.

Eve, I'd echo what others have said about Tam O'Xifen the leprechaun. Most people find he behaves really well, or if he plays tricks they soon settle down. If he plays the 'boil 'n' drown' trick too much you can get meds to help with that, or just join in the dance of the forty cardis. Whilst I am clearly his favourite victim of the moment, having what feels like almost every side effect going, most people I know are se free. Hopefully you will be one of them.

Hmm, still not quite sure what to wear to the Woodies party... Oz scarecrow (no brain)... Oz tinman (creaky joints)... what d'you reckon? Maybe I should just swoop in on my broom from umpteen pages back!
grumpy

Hi Ladies

I used aqueous cream all thro rads, and am now told my skin is in excellent condition. I used it as a cleanser as well, cos I had double sided rads, so TWO sticky armpits!!!! But now I don't have armpit hair, and it's not grown back so no faffing on with the ladyshave.
Yes you can get cording in the armpit - I did and it migrated down to my wrist, so a couple of sessions with the physio 'popped' it, and did lots of massage when sitting in front of the telly.
Oh dear, that's one emergency ambulance and 3 Mountain Rescue landrovers gone past with sirens and blue lights - someone has come a cropper somewhere........
grumpy (and still sniffly and snotty)

Eve76

They did tell me about using gentle, perfume free soap, though not about what to put on afterwards, just said 'don't put anything on'. I have some aqueous cream at home, might use it then..
As the lymph vessels go all the way in/through the armpit I imagine you can get cording there too. Mine has been acting up during the chemo, a lot of tightness - sometimes only the upper arm, recently all the way down to the wrist - so I am expecting it to be annoying during the rads as well.
Shoulder exercises today are limited to pouring the kettle and lifting the tea cup... 😉
Ali_H

I'm using aqueous cream, got it from Boots but lots of chemists/ health and beauty type places sell it, a huge tub for three-ish quid. You can ask for it on free prescription too. My rads dept said to pat it in as often as I can, and that it's ok to leave on your skin during treatment so long as its not a thick layer. Also to use baby or simple soap, nothing perfumed etc. my armpit is starting to feel really tight (can you get cording in your arm pit ladies???) so I'm massaging the aqueous cream in before the shoulder exercises.
Eve76

Thanks, Ali! 🙂 Am putting my feet up and taking it easy for the rest of the day.
The skin is doing ok so far. Internally there is some pinching and pulling going on though. Having no problems with wetness in the armpit as my sweat gland hasn't been working since the operation (ANC). Unfortuntaly that means I am loopsided, as the other armpit is happily sweating away...
What kind of cream are you putting on? I was told not to put anything whatsoever on the boob that's getting nuked. Huh, it's puzzling how patients are getting given completely different advise in different places/from different health care professionals...
Quickly pinching a biscuit, then I am off for another cup of tea...
Ali_H

Eve I've put the kettle on Hun, there's biscuits too. Please remember that ladies with no, or manageable, SEs won't be asking for help on the forum. Some tam users are having a really hard time and the advice and "oh crikey, me too" comments on the forum are incredibly supportive, while others are getting along just fine....hang on in there, see how it goes??
Hows your skin doing so far, is it ok? I keep patting the cream in. Nice nurse today said I can use a bit of baby talc (the unperfumed variety) if I'm really bothered by wetness in the un-deodorant-able arm pit. She also very kindly said I'm not whiffy 🙂
Have a rest this afternoon, put your feet up, put the radio on and just let the world carry on at it's hectic pace without you for a couple of hours. I know it takes me much longer to do stuff when I'm bone weary, and I end up doing it again properly anyway the next day, so I figure I may as well cut that middle bit out...
Eve76

Ooh, a party sounds lovely! I might just join the other Uncle Festers, not much dressing up required.
Have been for zapping session number 4 this morning and afterwards did some quick grocery shopping. Bah, utterly exhausted now from the walk around the shop and to the bus stop with my one bag.
I am trying to be patient with myself and pace myself and rest when needed, but there is so much to do and I can't keep up with it... Ugh!
During my chat with the Onc on Monday she gave me the prescription for Tamoxifen. So here I am sitting now with the box of tablets, trying to convince myself to start taking them... Not much success just yet. So glad I made it through the chemo and relieved that right now I don't have to put more poison into my body. Until I start taking the tablets... Also very much put off by all the side effects. This is not what I had in mind for the next 5 years! I just want my life back. I want off this roller coaster ride but it just keeps going!
Sorry, rant over.
Might need some time on the CSL bench... Off to make a cup of tea...
Hope everyone else is in a better mood. xx
Ali_H

Cousin Itt, fabulous! 🙂
katytc

Woweeeeeeeee! A party in the woods, will bring the aliburgers, salad, sweeties and glitterberry juice, may even make potted meat sandwiches and sardines!!
What time shall we meet on the barge?? And what to wear?? Ali, am sure you will look tremendous!
Hope you're not tooooooo snotty grumpy!
Never had Winter Pimms or any other kind of Pimms...........am so excited!
Does the JM have a wooden floor, FF?
Lightbulb went off in head, idea coming I'm going to be Cousin Itt, I'm not going to have to buy anything cause of induced tam affects ie: hairy face, how lucky????
Cupcakes and all things delicious, soon to be loaded on the barge xx

Ali_H

I watched the Addams family film last night, so I think I'll come as Morticia. Although I don't have her figure, nor her hair...and the eye make up looks tricky...but I like her dress 🙂
grumpy

Does anyone remember a TV series about a Scottish budget airline, with Alan Cummings as a cabin steward???? The senior cabin steward was - wait for it - Miss Spurtle!!! and she was a harridan of the first order....
When is the next party? Put me down for Lentil Slice and Cheesy Puffs, and Millie for at least 3 alliburgers. I've chucked soooo much anger and guilt into the lake this week that the alligators will be VERY FAT.
Snotty nose has come back - flu jab effect???? -so it's hot lemon and scotch on the Boingy Bench tonight.
sniffle sniffle
grumpy

RevCat

Ooh Quail what a fab idea! I haven't been in the woods (except wearing an invisibility cloak to borrow the gin which of course I don't drink anyway) for a-g-e-s. Oooh, now what shall I dress up as... how exciting. I will bring cupcakes and lashings of ginger beer as well as a big bag of spoons for anyone who needs a little bit more energy for these revels.
Quail

Ladies, you are all (ALL!) invited to our delightful Fancy Dress Weekend Winter Pimms Party at the JM over in the (dark, dark) Woods. If you have never visited Do Not be Afraid. All reports of Daleks were greatly exagerated. Pimms, Toblerones and a brightly lit barge ferrying guests from the Benchland Canal to the Woods will all be provided by us. We hope you'll bring (back) the Gin, and Parkin is always appreciated. Marshmallows grow on the trees, so pick your own, we'll have a supply of sticks next to the roaring fire.
I hope you'll be as excited as we are. Fireworks!!!

RevCat

FF - a spurtle is a wooden stick for stirring porrige with, somtimes with a thistle shaped handle (but no spikey (or jaggy as Scots say) bits). I did not know until about a year ago cos I'm a Sassenach too. You can google it and see what they look like!

The light/dark thing is "complefied" as we used to say as children... roughly in summer it is light longer/later the further north you go and the opposite in winter. By mid-December it gets dark here by about 3 p.m.!
jellytot83

Foxy (et al), sure thing we can share the Winter Pimms come on down to the JM & join our fancy dress Halloween party 🙂 Me & NannaB are the Uncle Fester twins (given our bald heads & dark circles under our eyes!) x
foxyferret

My floors look fantastic until umpteen feet trample all over them.
I've always believed that the further north you are the later darkness occurs....am I wrong?

Thank you for the spoons, I really need them. Er, what are spurtles? Sorry I don't speak Scottish.....that should probably be Scots...I.'m a sassenach and I'm sorry.