66.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

grumpy

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Clunk - you've got the part as Third Shepherd CONGRATULATIONS!!! You will wear a fetching rustic robe, glitter optional, and carry a big stick with a hook on the end for catching wayward lambkins - or any other use you can think of!!!!
Speedos and budgie smugglers are NOT allowed, as hormonally-challenged wimmin can't cope, and they are rubbish for anyone riding a horse or camel.
Hope Mrs Clunk is doing OK, the pair of you are really in the thick of it so (virtual) hugs all round.
grumpy (not really, honest)

clunkshift

Well ChockieMuffin caused me to crash my dinky toy in the boy's corner with wild talk of "shoe in" and "speedos" (or was that someone else?) and auditioning for a play, but it did cause me to wonder where I was and I have decided that I am firmly rooted to the guilty bench.

I was happy being a Tapoxyfen eunuch, self-righteously enduring the hot flushes and other blessings but now my 5 years are up and I'm even more guilty to have finished the course more or less intact.
The trouble is that I have quite an affinity for the grumpy bench too; does anyone else feel the urge to punch someone who finishes a health enquiry with "but you're all right now though"? No I'm not all right and I don't like my new normal!

My wife and I like to share, so while I had BC that doesn't show too much, she went in for tongue & neck (squamus cell carcinoma) so she had the men's cancer while I had the "womens cancer"
I thought she had called a halt to the Gunga Din health challenge (your a better man than I am) but she's just pulled a sneaky move by growing a cyst. We are waiting for a scan to see what happens next but it has definitely moved me from the Grumpy Bench to the Guilty Bench again.

It is so hard watching your loved one having treatment and just adds to the guilt of being a survivor. So I'm on the Guilt trip again but infused with anger at life, the universe and everything.

I'm sorry I missed the performance but by the time I had got the budgie smugglers off and found a nice Toga, I re-read the description and realised it should have been a Goat. I have always excelled as the 3rd shepherd who waits until the moment of silence at the end of the play before the audience applauds and says in a loud stage whisper: "Lets get the flock out of here!"

With best regards to all those on an angry vibe and all the others trying to mollify them.
Clunk
(male survivor of BC)

katytc

Boo hoo hoo !! Sniffle sniffle.....
Oh grumpy you are bringing pantos to a whole new level, just sooooooooo fabulous dahling!
The audience will be uncontrollable, weeping and sobbing, no encores on the frozen lake cause it won't be frozen for long, all those hot tears..........

Did want to be the GOAT, not sure if I can do what is expected so better get practising!
Off to sharpen the "blades", onward chillow soldiers lalalalala, such a catchy tune.
Flirting what's that?? xx

Quail

Wondered why you had been such a prolific poster in the run up to Christmas, RevCat. Finding homes for sheep cannot be an easy task. Glad you pointed out about the dangers of the spider in the shower--VERY good point. In my house, it would end in a roar of the hoover sucking the spider up to shreiks of terror, I'm afraid, even though I LOVED Charlotte's web. Besides it's all about the cycle of birth and death, something rather close to my mind these days. (How to accept and embrace same).
Of course it will be a triumph, Grumpy; especially after your masterful casting (ahem, ahem). I just hope you don't get so swept up in your exciting sex & the city lifestyle that you forget to hold auditions.

RevCat

Weep, weep, 'Nativity Play' meets 'Charlotte's Web'... so beautiful and so sad... poor, selfless spider

Shower scene? Ali do you really want a spider in the shower?!!! What will the aracnophobes (sp?) think?

Back to work after two days off in a row.... and have to find homes for the rest of our sheep for our nativity sheep trail... like you do!
Ali_H

Sob.....that's beautiful....sob. Blows nose into already wet hanky....

Can we have a shower scene like in Dallas where the spider isn't really dead?
applestreet

what a sad ending...worth reading though...

nannabarb

Aw, sad ending, didn't expect that Grumpy, lump in the throat.....
Who was it said they wanted to be a goat....
grumpy

Soryy for the late post, Ladies, been to the pub to do some 'flirting' - can anyone give me lessons, it's soooo long since it happened that I'm quite out of practice!!!

Act III
Well, all the visitors left, and the animals cuddled up round the baby boy in the manger and the new parents to keep everyone warm. The spider yawmed and took up position near the mouth of the cave, ready to nod off after such an exciting evening.
Suddenly there was a terrible commotion in the pub yard, shouting, clashing, hooves stamping, waking everybody up. The landlord came out to remonstrate (good word ) but when he saw a troop of BIG soldiers he gulped a bit. The captain wanted to know if there were any babies in the pub less than one day old. The landlord, fingers crossed behind his back, said NO most emphatically - after all he knew they were in the cave. The soldiers started searching everywhere, making a reet mess of everything, and woke up the spider and all the animals. Quick, said the spider to the animals, usual positions and look sleepy and bored. He then rushed to the parents and told them to take the baby in the manger right to the back of the cave where there was a little dark tunnel. Get in there he said, I'll hide you.
Mary and Joseph (for it was they) grabbed baby Jesus and crouched down, in fear of their lives. The spider began to spin and spin and spin to make a big web to cover the mouth of the tunnel. Oh dear, he thought, I'm such an old spider and I can't spin as fast as I used to. Eventually he made a big dense web and decorated it with bits of wool and animal hair so it looked like it had been there for years.
Then the soldiers came into the cave with swords out..... the sheep lay in the way, the goats farted (sorry) a lot, and the cows butted the soldiers with their horns, so the soldiers didn't try to push away the cobwebs, and decided to leave - phew said all the animlas, that was a close shave but we did it. The special baby is safe and sound. So everyone snuggled up again and knew they had done a very special thing that night, but especially the spider - he knew his quick thinking had saved the world and was the most important thing he had ever done in his long long life.

And then the spider died......

CUE Do they know it's Christmas

grumpy

applestreet

As long as Gareth wears his specs I'll watch him conduct anything Nannab

applestreet

Hey ho...my sleep fairy has done a bunk so am reading this funny thread...the song has me laughing out loud..help..I'll wake everyone up...where is grumpy?..I was waiting for part 3 as well..still glowing but ready for an audition...going for a walk to the woods..hope there's no holes anywhere yet..can't find the lamp I borrowed off ST last time...

nannabarb

Can Gareth Malone conduct the singing of the new songs please Grumpy, and I really would make a good inkeeper Pleeeease
Quail

It's my bedtime and NO GRUMPY!!!!! She is really trying to rachet up the suspense, I may have to read on my ipod (other pods are available) under the covers again. I'll bet she's coaching Milly the OD on her tricks. Or maybe teaching her to skate?
I've learned about half the lines of the songs, though, so if she calls a quicky audition, I might be ready!
Onward chillow sooooldiers....

GIJaneH

Heavens! Auditions! How VERY scary... what do we have to "do" Grumpy? Be wise? Funny? Skate? Sing? (not all at the same time, PLEASE!!!)

Jane xx

GIJaneH

Heavens! Auditions! How VERY scary... what do we have to "do" Grumpy? Be wise? Funny? Skate? Sing? (not all at the same time, PLEASE!!!)

The words of the song are fantastic, btw....

clever frogs in these boxes!

Jane xx

foxyferret

Brilliant JCJ - wonderful lyrics.

I was sitting comfortably but keeping this position is now getting painful, I will have to get up and move around to ease the joint pain caused by the Tapoxifen.

No, Grumpy has not chickened out, she's able to cope with anything. She is a wonderful woman, I'm really sucking up here in the hope that I'll get a good part. Have I mentioned that I can ice skate?

Ok , back to sitting comfortably and waiting for Act lll.
supertrouper

I am laughing out loud at these refrains that are being posted in here. Keep them coming! We could make a book. Maybe we should make a book!

RevCat

The gremlins altering the posting order AGAIN!
RevCat

That is BRILL JCJ, am soo jealous of your song-writing skills... best version of that song yet (thought the Mighty Tortoise version is pretty good too) Let's see if this attempt has fixed the formatting....

Onward Chillow soldiers, marching up to bed
With the hope of sleeping firmly in our head
Sweaty nightime waking is their only foe
Forward into battle with the quilt we go!

Refrain:
Onward, Chillow soldiers, marching up to bed,
with the hope of sleeping firmly in our head

At the sign of truimph sleep fairies do flee;
On then, Chillow soldiers, on to the settee!
Hell's foundations quiver as we shout again;
Bother and blast this ruddy Tapoxyfen!

Refrain:

Onward then, ye ladies, join our happy throng,
blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud, and honour unto Hokey Poken
Due to countless flushes, women have awoken

Refrain:
RevCat

Yeay! what a team we make!
JCJ

Gruuuuuuumpyyyyyyy! Where are you wonder woman? We're all agog waiting for Act III! You have us hanging on your every word!

Do you think she's had cold feet - even before we freeze the lake! - and chickened out of trying to manage the box of (mad) frogs and assorted children and animals?? Can't say as I'd blame her.

I have a new song for the soldiers. We can manage two??? Ooops! Sorry - whoever gets through the auditions to be soldiers can manage two?

Onward Chillow soldiers, marching up to bed
With the hope of sleeping firmly in our head
Sweaty nightime waking is their only foe
Forward into battle with the quilt we go!

Refrain: Onward, Chillow soldiers, marching up to bed,
with the hope of sleeping firmly in our head 

At the sign of truimph sleep fairies do flee; 
On then, Chillow soldiers, on to the settee! 
Hell's foundations quiver as we shout again; 
Bother and blast this ruddy Tapoxyfen!
Refrain:
Onward then, ye ladies, join our happy throng, 
blend with ours your voices in the triumph song. 
Glory, laud, and honor unto Hokey Poken 
Due to countless flushes, women have awoken
Refrain:

Ah well - it's a work in progress - RevCat does it better!

JCJ

It's beggared up my formatting and I'm too tired to fight it!
And it's reversed the order of my posts - but cunning plan: adding this edit may fix that?! Mwahaha
foxyferret

I am sitting comfortably and waiting expectantly.
Auditions - Grumpy could you let us know when as I need to practise and practise to be any good.
Please do not include my breast care nurse in anything as she was NOT an angel! Your embargo on the medical profession prevents further comment!!
applestreet

about the glitter...I won't get it on the floor..promise!!!!!

applestreet

Cleavage??? what's one of those...wouldn't want anything down me vest..christmassy or not!!!..where are we queueing..is that how you spell it???..I'm still up for the glowing parts..at the moment you could use me for lighting..I'll just hover over in the corner..glowing pinkly..I'll chuck a bit of glitter on me vest if it helps..ST..be careful with that digger..I fell down the other holes taking a late night walk the other night...mind you..I had been in the JM...waiting for part 3 if grumpy is ready...

Quail

Oh my, auditions, of course, how could we have got so far ahead of ourselves? Just tell me where to queue. I hope we don't have to actually prove we can skate beforehand. I have lots of coloured paper and glue and brushes. Better bring a ladle for Grumpy, not that she is grumpy, of course (she says, ingratiatingly)
I am so excited to hear part three.
Are you sitting comfortably, children?

supertrouper

I would like to audition please - not bothered about what part to play but I think I would make a brilliant ugly sister or wicked witch - or have I got the wrong panto. Or I could help build the scenery - and JCB is a make of plant equipment. What I brought into benchland was a 30ft telehandler and an excavator so there! Telehandler would come in handy for stringing the christmas lights from the fans that hang down from the sky.

JCJ

Home from a stressful day at the chalk face to my daily tonic in Benchland. Smiles replenished 🙂 :). Laughs rediscovered. 😄 😄

I found a LARGE but not too scary-looking (he has a cheeky grin on his face!) spider that someome had put in a pot plant in the (sorry, *my*) library at school. It made me think of frogs - (mad ones in a box!) I have borrowed him to audition for the part of the Very Important Spider. In the meantime, he can stay with his cousins in the spider sanctuary, so as not to alarm all the arachnaphobes (sp?). I have also negotiated (virtually) the loan (ditto) of a baby doll, just the right size for the Special Baby. and it fits snugly in the crib full of barley straw that I've (really) got!

Can I please remind everyone that if there's any decorations for the Holly and the Ivy carol that we keep them well away from cleavages (oops guilty benches are over there and there!) OK then: vests/bras, as we don't want anyone having the fright I had when cutting the hedge in the summer!

Can Mike and the techies do the sound and lighting, and make sure the ice stays frozen, from their cupboard under the stairs?

Can't wait for rehearsals to start. I'll bring tea, cakes and other sustaining victuals to keep us going. Oh, and spoons.
ChoccieMuffin

Do you think the woodies would mind if we nicked Jason Statham or Daniel Craig for one of the male parts? Or how about our very own men who are on their own "Am I on my own?" thread in the boys' corner? Do you think we should invite them to benchland to see if they'll audition? Surely they'd be a complete shoe-in for the boys' parts.

katytc

Ahem, soooooo sorry grumpy just obviously got carried away in all the excitement, would love to audition for the GOAT part, as previously explained will have the beard required in time for panto, I can breathe quite softly have been practising now for a couple of days and appear to have it under control, must remember if I am successful not to eat anything garlicky the night before.
Would also love to be a soldier, can they have glitter too or is it only the wise ladies and the camel/horsey things??
Please, please grumpy can I be the GOAT??
Does anyone know if we still have the "wind" lot or have they been disbanded? xx

applestreet

revcat..love the song...all this panto talk is brill..can I audition for a part..not quite sure as what but if it involves flushing or glowing..I could be the star..not of the show the one in the sky...grumpy...I am a lancaster lady and could nominate a v wise man...persisting it down in the Nwest today..off to get dinghy out to go to town..

grumpy

I'm not quite sure where this notion of cast selecting their own parts comes from - THERE WILL BE AUDITIONS........
Some people get a teeny bit too luvvie!
No-one has yet suggested an OH or similar for the part of the Daddy - any offers? It's the same arrangment as before, don't tell them they've been volunteered until 10 mins before we go on stage. NO SPEEDOS
And I did think we could have some Honorary cast members - Lancaster Ladies will know who I'm thinking of for a supplementary Wise Man. And we could include the breast nurses in the choir of angels perhaps? Please do NOT suggest a member of the medical profession for part of cow, goat or donkey - that would be incompatible with the sprit of Christmas!!!!
Sheep and lambs are cast, but we can always do with more - PukeyCat, Millie only dog, Buggerit, Sodditt, ch280's grandson, the Under the Bed rabbits, someone else's grandbairn, the two hand-reared sheep, next door's staffie Diesel cos he's a softy and loves children, and anyone who is good with glue and cotton wool (and silver glitter...... and a hoover)
Memo to self: how can I do virtual auditions with a box of frogs (mad as.....)
Act III this evening all being well.
Still p***ing it down in Lakeland
Walkies, then supermarket
grumpy
PS can anyone think of a role for Mike and the Techies in the cupboard under the stairs - drunken - sorry exhausted customers in the pub perhaps??

Guest user
Not applicable

laughing my head off this thread is soo funny has brightened my day so glad I dropped by for a read 🙂 and it looks like there's a spare part for a third wise woman not that am wise but am good at ad-lib , and as yet haven't heard them in glitter (phew big relief) unless of course I've missed that bit which is possible.

Ang xx
ch280

Can I be the 3rd wise woman please? I'd like to try riding a camel - not sure how good I will be at it though. Used to manage to stay on the donkeys on the beach many years ago - is riding animals anything like riding a bike in that you should be able to do it again if you have managed it before? I really like the sound of the ice skating camels - but will that make it more difficult for me to balance? AliH what colour glitter would you like - haven't any in stock so I can certainly order the right variety to match with you.
My grandson lamb would make a good hot water bottle as written in the script if we can just get him to sleep before the performance - if he is awake he won't stay still long enough!
Looking forward to a fairly quiet day today - only one grandson in residence - had 3 of them since Friday at various times which got fairly hectic, especially for the 4 year old's birthday party and at bed time!

Ali_H

And I must liaise (how on earth do you spell that???) with the wise woman whose camel I am, to make sure our glitters match nicely. Don't want clashing glitter, I have standards you know! (said by a woman who is looking forward to dressing up as a humpectomied ice skating horse/camel/narrator....)
katytc

Whoa, have to be quick to grab a part, would like to be the goat same reasons as Quail (Joseph) beard will be in full flow between now and Xmas if I don't tweeze! Would also like to be a soldier as long as parts don't clash.
Act 11 Sooooooooooooo exciting to see everything coming together, rivited to my laptop at the moment.........
Away to get the alligator saw out of the shed to try and extend seating area around the lake, stage area is easy frozen lake but how do we freeze it??? Have to also get the alligators out of said lake as if everythings frozen someone may trip over an alligator head or tail (Health & Safety)
Hard hat on
High Visibilty jacket and trousers on
Saw in hand, off I go, oh the grand old lalalalala xx

Quail

Slightly???? I'm having the time of my life!!!!
Could I be Joseph??? I have the beard, and my hair looks a little like his.... Did Joseph have a large pot belly? Or perhaps I could give some of my headscarves another airing and be a shepherd? I though somebody (was is FF?) was stealing a baby doll to play jesus (woops, I meant to say "liberating" a baby doll, needn't end up with one of us in the dock)
We need to get cracking on the scenery; is it time to get out the JCB? (what other kinds are there; those JCB folks have really done their marketing well, but I'm sure if you want to buy one for xmas, you should shop around for the cheapest model)
I am SO excited to hear Act III!!!!
I have double booked myself. This morning is my second to last herceptin. Although my appointment's at nine it always takes them about two hours to finish playing "hunt the vein", so I am worried I won't be out in time to get to my one o'clock appointment at another hospital I am going to for my first "alternative therapy" appointment. (I trek between four different hospitals circling the perimeter of Manchester) I'm a week out on this Herceptin due to the cold I got seven weeks ago, so now it's going to be a mad scramble with public transport. So much for "Relaxation therapy". I think I may be on the cream crackered bench when I get home.

GIJaneH

laughing out loud! Brilliant!
FF - that makes two of us being wise women now... just need a third (and our camels!!!!)
Can't help thinking we're all concentrating on the perifories of the story....
who do we cast as Joseph? and anyone fancy being MummyMary?
who's grand-child should we borrow for the baby Jesus? (in glitter nappies)

Oh Grumpy - never work with animals or children they say don't they? You ARE brave!!!!

I shall smile more today because of you all...
who said we were "in control" ? I'm not sure, but we could be gathering round the SlightlyHysteriricalBench
Jane xx

nannabarb

What a talented bunch.... can't wait x x x
ChoccieMuffin

Well clearly I have to be a cow. After all, that's what SO many people mutter under their breath when I'm around, so I reckon the part's made for me...

And the spider is obviously not called Patrick, or he'd know what that shiny thing up in the sky was all about.

Ali_H

THREE CAMELS!!!!!!!! Yay, I get company!
foxyferret

Humpectomied camels?? On ice?? Wearing glitter?? Oh yes ,this is going to be SO good.
Can I be a Wise Woman? I'm extremely good at putting the world to rights without actually stirring from the sofa.
Brilliant joke Revcat.
Love Act ll Grumpy, can't wait for Act lll tomorrow.
grumpy

Act II -
So the spider watched while the baby boy was born, and how the young father helped his wife to get comfy on the straw. When the new parents looked for a place for the baby to sleep, the cows offered their hay-manger, and all the animals promised to breathe gently around the little boy to keep him warm. As they crowded round for a good look, the spider announced that this was a VERY SPECIAL baby - he knew this because he was a very old spider who had seen everything in the world.
A bit later on there was bit of a disturbance in the pub yard - it was a group of shepherds with the first lamb of the year all cuddled up under a cloak. The landlord was a bit cross at first until the shepherds explained that they'd been visited by an angel, up on the fells, who told them about a special baby boy born this night. They had come as quickly as they could, and brought the lamb to tuck into the baby's cot to keep him warm like a hot water bottle. All the animals stood aside so that the shepherds could see the baby, and meet the new parents.
Even later, when the stars came out properly, there was another upset in the pub yard. At first the spider took no notice because he was looking a very very bright star up in the night sky. Funny, he thought, I've never seen a star quite like that, and I'm a very old spider. Then he realised there were 3 camels in the yard, and 3 richly dressed exotic chaps were dismounting. THEY were asking about the baby boy, just like the shepherds, and they had 3 wonderful presents with them - the new parents were thrilled to bits, but becoming a little puzzled by all the fuss. So everyone knelt round the manger and gazed at the baby with love and delight.
And the spider said 'I told you all this was a very special baby, and we must all protect him as best we can'.
Act III tomorrow
grumpy

Ali_H

Am just working out how to get the air conditioning unit built into my camel costume, cause otherwise it will be too hot. If I use a chicken wire structure for the hump it can go in there??? And....having never seen a camel up close, are they greyish brown or brownish grey? Under the glitter, obviously..... 😉
JCJ

If it's on ice I'll need to be the donkey cos I'm bound to make an ass of myself falling on my ass! No sense of balance and weak ankles. Will be nice and cool down there. A megga chillow??

There's glitter ALL OVER the school carpets - after our Diwali activities last week, (in spite of all the best efforts by caretaker and cleaners!) so I could just 'borrow' them for making costumes. They are camel coloured so would be excellent for a blanket-type costume for Alice the bilateral humectomised horse!
Ali_H

I wanna be a camel!!!!!!!!! Or am I a humpectomied horse? Confused now...sounds like I still get the glitter though so that's ok.

Welcome Angik, sorry I've nicked the star part of confused, glittery, multi-humpedhorse-camel narrator on skates...that glows in the dark...(radiotherapy skin GLOWING redly). Have you chosen a part yet, what do you fancy? Lambs get to wear cotton wool and go to sleep, wise women bustle around putting the world to rights, oooh no ones bagged the part of donkey yet, that would have been my second choice. I can't remember the other characters, what were they? My brain is addled, delays at rads today because one machine being serviced...and then the other one broke....
Quail

I'm pretty sure this creature will be wearing a lyphoedema "leg-sleeve" to complete the look, aren't you?
We love you Grumpy (and you too Millie--I'm off to the shops, and this piddling rain is NOT making me want to venture out!)

katytc

hahahaha!! tee hee!! The visions are amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing, it's going to be fabulous girls and grumpy is a true stalwart, she is as we all know a very important director type person with her own special chair xx

RevCat

ROTFL

Either a horse with a prosthetic hump, a dromedary after a humpectomy or a bactrian after a bilateral humepctomy and appropriate prostheses...

Poor Grumpy, herding cats WOULD be easier.
ChoccieMuffin

Angik, did you say something about us being under control? I can't imagine a group even more OUT of control than this lot!

And grumpy, it's not a camel, it's an ice-skating, narrating HORSE WITH A PROSTHETIC HUMP dressed in glitter. and probably waving a magic wand (to cast spells on the alligators under the ice to keep them asleep, of course).