71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

JCJ

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Oh what a lovely tonic. OTT of course. Outrageuously so, and that's why it's so hilarious.

As to Clunk's thong........... ♫ "Sing a thong of sixpence, a pocket full of..........STOP IT NOW!

Thanks for all your good wishes. My Onc. app. went OK. She seemed surprised that I was healing so well. The pains and swelling(? FEELS swollen, bra feels tight, but she said it isn't swollen) near my SNB scar are probably nerve damage and therefore nothing sinister 🙂 but also, possibly, permanent 😞

I asked how real the risk of Lyn Fodema was for me, expecting her to say that there was only a slight risk as I only had 4 or 5 nodes out, but she said "There's always a risk" and offered to refer me to Lymphodoema nurse to see if the reason my clothes feel tight across my upper arm and affected boob IS that and not the nerve damage she believes it to be. I declined for the moment - but there's something else for my hyperactive worry mode to fret about!

We called at a local garden centre for tea and cake on the way home, as it was too early to go to the pub for dinner, and I CBA to go back out later, especially with the pub serving for Christmas, not just the usual Steak Night. We stood for 5 minutes and nobody could be ar*ed to serve us because they were too busy faffing about with a large children's party, so we gave it the F*** IT stamp and came home. I see enough kids all day at work, and anyway I have perfectly lovely chocolate cake of my own to eat, and a decent mug of tea!

OH now cooking sausage, egg and chips so I really should snap out of my supergrump.

I know I should be feeling relieved that Onc says everything is OK, but I just don't. Maybe after stabbing at docs tomorrow I'll feel better. Or perhaps I'm just end-of-a-long-term tired!? Or perhaps I just need a kick up the whatsit?
Good luck tomorrow Grumpy!
grumpy

(whispers) Where can you get spray tan with glittery bits??? Answers in a plain envelope please
grumpy

katytc

Oh deary me. a THONG, think Dame Grumpy will have a turn she's bad enough about the speedos, must admit you certainly will make an entrance, thong, lamb around the neck and a spray tan with glittery bits, you will be spectacular!!
Pssst stay away from FF, she has a history of kidnapping...........
I am the "mummy" Clunk, not a camel and I have to be fabulous!
Jane love your little lamb xx

clunkshift

Well GI JaneH, don't think that you can spike my performance with a splash of lamb pee! Oh no, I had a good shower but there was still a lingering taint. Fortunately Flavia thought I smelled like a sweaty goucho and I was swept off into a fiery Argentine Tango and I don't mind telling you that my poor old back aches a bit now as she is very demanding when roused. So just beware if the lamb lets go again, the sobriety of awed shepherds could become a wild scrum if Flavia catches another whiff.
That wasn't me in the speedos, i think katytc is trying some camel one-upmanship but I shall have a spray tan with sparkle highlights for Wednesday. I'm wearing a shepherd's thong for the evening performance (just a thong at twilight, when the lights are low, as the flickering shadows etc etc) so my lack of speedo lines will prove my innocence of speedo flashing if I should slip up on something smelly and have an Anne Hathaway moment. I'm sorry about the thong Madam Grumpy but its the only way I can get near a tenor top C when I'm hearking to herald angels.
Also Miss Grumpy, I've not only practiced the lines and carols but I can offer a good line in off-stage muttering and the odd guffaw and chink of glasses behind the innkeeper while he says there is no room, as we wouldn't want him to sound like he was on his own in front of an empty inn would we? I found this large bar of swiss chocolate and I'm sure it must be yours...

RevCat

JCJ hope onc app goes OK for you today and no nasty surprises.

Over the top? Noooo, just super splendidly creative and maybe just the teeneist bit avant garde. And NO WAY I am I going to leap over the top of the escalator without a suitably glitter bespangled parachute, so there!

Well, survived playing Angel 3 yesterday morning, did a costeume change worthy of strictly during one verse of 'away in a manger' and then sang Alto 5 in the evening! Back to work for a rest! And back to reheasing the flushing troops... thought I was literally going to melt at one point yesterday!!
GIJaneH

DD had the lamb taken to the groomers to make sure his costume was OK for the performance - and very cute he looks too!

Kayteeb53

Over the top? Us? No!
am going to see Louie Spence in panto, now I hope that's over the top!
off to the JM for winter Pimms and toast to all friends, past and present.
wishing you all a week or 2 of no SEs
kay x
grumpy

Over the top??? Us???? Never........
We are the innovators of British musical theatre - we may not be very good at it, but gor blimey we are having the BEST TIME .
grumps

nannabarb

Christmas puddin vodka? Think thats got my name on it!! Where's the recipe? By the way Dame Grumpy (loved the TV appearance), dont see why I cant jump out from behind the bar on the stage to the one off stage..
Love the pic RevCat 🙂

Good luck this week JCJ and Grumpy xxx
All this talk of bling, think I will have to wrap fairy lights round my Fez and stick diamantes to my cummerbund (?) although I dont want my Innkeeper to look too camp....
OTT Jane? Never....
Role on Weds, cant wait for dress rehearsal
PS It wasn't Gareth in the Speedos was it
GIJaneH

do you thinkg there's just a tiny risk people might think the production is Over The Top ????? Mind you, the thought of you in a camel/donkey onsie, running at escalators in a dept store should be a show on it's own!!!! love it!

Dame Grumpy, you're going to be SO glam...

Ali_H

So what's unsophisticated about insulation tape??? Round here it's the height of fashion.... I need to get out more, lol... I'm liking the sparkler on the donkeys tail, I think it will add a certain something to the production. Do you think we should decorate the escalators? Perhaps we could cover the steps in pritt stik and then smother them in glitter, cause then it wouldnt disappear when they go upside down. And I've bought a laser light show thingy, you know- like they have at discos, this one plays stars and Christmassy pics over the floor (or ceiling, very pretty). We could have it shine on the ice at the bottom of the escalators to disguise that awkward moment when you need to get your feet co-ordinated with the moving step. What d'ya mean, no-one else has problems with this? Even in real life, out of the camel costume, it takes me a couple of run ups to get on an escalator...I can bring a large, multi floor department store to a stand still in moments....
And....well, you know....what with still not being allowed deodorant...or perfumed products...in the arm pit area...and with wearing the camel costume a lot (it's the onesie of the panto world)....ummm, sorry..bit whiffy in the stable at times. Maybe I could pop one of those room freshener thingies in my hump............
Foxy I think the bottle of Christmas puddin vodka (did anyone else watch the Hairy Bikers Christmas programme??) while we glittered up your costume was a ver good idea, hic....
Take pity on Kayteeb, st Eroids is bad enough without the thought of speedos too.... (I once, for a joke, bought a friends OH a snowman posing pouch for a really daft secret Santa gift...except he modelled it there and then. Right put me off my carrots...)
grumpy

It wasn't that I didn't want the lace, solar lights etc, I just want something SOPHISTICATED as befits my position as TV superstar and VIPD Person......
Tried to put up a piccie but it didn't work .......
grumpy
PS watching the lion the witch and the wardrobe cos it's all ice, snow and animals

JCJ

I had to laugh when I saw OH's swim trunks on the washing line yesterday. They are speedos, but definitely NOT small - it made me think of you lot and smile 🙂
Kayteeb53

FF, happy to help bling up your costume. Grumpy didn't want my lace, coloured insulation tape, tinsel and solar lights so got lots of spares. How about we trim with lace, thread solar lights through the gaps (I am favouring solar because of the sudden impact when it gets dark), can then edge with glitter and tinsel. As katytc suggest baubles are good too, I quite like the ones that are snow globes!
leave your costume in he hut and I will work on it during St Eroids time!
JCJ, embrace your inner Bratz and go for it! Do you think the sparkler is a good thing? Don't want mummy to move too quickly!
ooooh the speedos................. Ouch
;-)
JCJ

If it's going to be a bling competition perhaps I'll try and get my decorated tree on my back along side the FB bench and the faux hump for those that WILL INSIST on calling me a camel.

I've put tinsel around all the hooves of the donkey costume and a sparkler attached to the tail - just have to light it at EXACTLY the right moment - don't want to fire mummy off into the air too early! :-0
Quail

EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeek. Those speedos are TOO SMALL!!!!

katytc

FF Kay is fabulous at the tapestry so have a few words with her, if you have any old Xmas bobbles or lights just stick them on, you'll look fantastic. Do you have your bells on your skates??
Was a bit worried about the lights because of all the water but they have LED ones in the pound shop so will def feel a lot safer..........
grumpy, really hope all goes well for you!
Now where are those pies?? lashings and lashings of cream of course.
Don't want to alarm anyone but someone is slinking around in a pair of speedos, (the Dame has warned and warned everyone, NO SPEEDOS allowed) run for cover girls xx

foxyferret

Thanks Ali - it sure needs something. It was alright until everyone started with the BLING and I realised I hadn't gone OTT enough. I think flashing lights are the way to go. Multi-coloured of course.

All help gratefully received and an alcoholic mince pie.....or two....would go down a treat.
Ali_H

Good luck to JCJ and Grumpy for appointments this week, hope all goes to plan. Looking forward to seeing Revcats costume once our costumiers have blinged it up..... Pssstttt, Foxy, I have loads of glitter...and alcoholic mince pies...I'm sure we could soon sparkle your costume up... 😉
foxyferret

I think I was just a little Bah Humbug last night. Today I've put up the decorations so I feel a little more Christmassy.
All your costumes are now making mine look shabby. I'd better get to work on it.

Loads of luck for your appt. Grumpy.
Same to you JCJ for tomorrow.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you both.
GIJaneH

Fantastic Avatar..
GOod luck Grumpy for Tuesday. I put pics in by inserting them into a word document, then, for some reason, we seem able to cut n paste! Have to make sure they're not too big though, or it doesn't work (so have to resize before start) Make any sense? No? Ah well, par for the course...

I HAVE told the wee lamb's owner about taking him out BEFORE the performance... sorry...

RevCat, you look FAB... as the others have said, bit of bling and you'll be dazzling next week! Love the thought of Katy's solar lights...

my OH is good at bars and catering.. he's been volunteered... (as we speak he's making mince pies!) I won't tell him though, because he thinks the whole concept is completely mad!
Jane xx

Kayteeb53

Foxy, how can you be Bah Humbug when you are part of such a momentous occasion as our panto!
katyc, love the way your coat is all encompassing, I like the bling too.
revcat, have some spare twinkly solar lights for your outfit. Will leave in the hut - great photo by the way!
so much good luck for Weds Grumpy, hope the PS is good for you.
all hands to the beer pumps for the bar!
have good day all

kay x
JCJ

OR, Grumpy. I've just discovered you can reset your avatar picture in 'profile' and drag it into the comment window from the posts page. Like this:

You can always change avatar back after! Only gives a teeny pic though.
JCJ

Good luck for Tuesday Grumpy - glad it's got to that stage at long last! 🙂 I'll think of you while I'm having my Zoladex invasion - sorry, injection! (Provided the sh*t doesn't hit the fan on Monday at onc app!)

I struggled to put pics in, but the way I got around it was to post it on twitter or upload to another web-based photo store (photobucket, flicker etc) then copy and paste it (right click) into the 'comment' window on here. I'm sure there's a neater, simpler way and hopefully someone will tell us soon.

Right! I'm off to do battle with the bird feeder stand as it's at about 45 degrees at the moment. If I don't sort it out the birdies will be eating their Christmas dinner off the floor - can't have that!
grumpy

Dress Rehearsal is Wed - make sure that bl**dy lambkin has had a wee BEFORE he goes on stage, we don't want Clunk to have a wet neck again.....
Could the alligators wranglers please make sure the beasts are corralled well in time, maybe they will settle in their temporary home and just go to sleep.
Has everyone collected their cobwebs for the spider to put over the secret cave?
How do you put piccies on a post? Millie wants her piccie in her new coat to go global and I don't know how to do it.
BAR - who's doing the bar for interval drinkies and the after show party????? I knew I'd forgotten something!!!! HELP please volunteer OHs as per the summer panto.
Please wish me well for Tuesday - seeing the PS about nip and tuck, so rather excited that he will have a godd suggestion.
Love to everyone, chin up .....

grumpy

Ali_H

Love your new avatar Katytc, I like the bit of glitter on his shoulder that's going 'ting' in the light.....
katytc

You look faaaaaaaaaabulous, few boobles oops bobbles, glitter, tiara, necklace, your ice skates and you are all set for the glorious Benchland Panto! It's amazing how only a few accessories can alter a look. Not sure about the sheep though wee bit scary!! Glad Clunk has a little lamb.........
FF, I was not a Blue Peter fan (too serious), I was a Magpie girl, one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl and four for a boy, maaaaaaaaaaagpie!! Aah those were the days??
Recieved an early Xmas present, padded coat (not jacket, lost marbles etc) it's the cosiest coat I have ever had, look a bit like the Michelin Man though? at least I'm warm xx
PS Avatar is me, out and about yesterday.

RevCat

OK so here I am in my shepherd outfilt... what d/ya reckon? Needs lots more bling for our nativity-on-ice, but getting there maybe...

Today I have to be angel 3 in the Sunday School nativity... white nighty, tinsel and one line to learn: "it's so amazing, why don't you come and see?" Now, here is my stategy for remembering it... simples... think of Benchland perfomance... it's so amazing, why don't you come and see? Of course, should long term chemo brain strike might start singing the flushing troop song by mistake...!
foxyferret

The lamb's indiscretion brought to mind the elephant on Blue Peter. Anyone remember that? I know some of you are around my vintage.

JCJ I'm with your sister on the Bah Humbug, I dislike Christmas these days and cannot summon any enthusiasm for it at all. This will probably be the last year that three of my grandchildren will believe in Santa so I am really trying for their sakes Some would say that I AM really trying!!
My house could well be mistaken for a bookshop. So no room for a tree but I might put tinsel alaong the bookshelves!!

Oh well, off to decide about dinner.
Quail

JCJ, I think the tree looks superb!!! And everyone knows that christmas is all about phone calls and tears (of both rage and laughter, in my experience!)
Dame G., what a star!!! Now I can visualise you in the LBD. I am so pleased you are finally delighted with our hard work. I can hardly wait till the performance. The audience (we have sent out invites, haven't we?) is going to be over the moon. Do you think there may be a Women's Hour slot open before the day--Grumpy would be perfect explaining about our fab show.
Now to address Christmas cards, I'll be humming carols while I work.

JCJ

Don't worry Katytc, I wasn't on the CSL bench when putting up my tree. I just forgot to move the phone and box of tissues back out of the way for the 'photo shoot'.

I'm trying to find somewhere to store above, where they are easily accessible, but struggling due to mountains of OH's cr*p everywhere. Who NEEDS to read 15 books simultaneously, or have 7 dictionaries/thesuaruses (thesauri?) within permanent reach? Not to mention a million CDs and DVDs festooned about the place. Maybe I should take them out of their cases and hang them bauble-style from the tree/ceiling? Whoops! where did THAT rant come from?? I told you I was jittery this weekend!

My sister just made me laugh. Daughter and I exchanging 'tweets' with pics of our christmas trees. She sent a photo of the empty space in her living room (just floor and the bottom of a curtain) labelled 'bah humbug'.
Kayteeb53

Wow, when you see Dame Grumpys composure you don't wonder she shouts at us sometimes. You do suit pink!
Clunky laughing us probably just stage nerves. I play the words of the carol on my iPod when I am gong to sleep, sort of subliminal learning ( when I remember to put it on!)
going to the woods for breakfast then off to town (must be mad!)
kay x
GIJaneH

As the lamb round the neck belongs to my daughter, I sent her a message to tell her about his "indiscretion".. fortunately, she has inherited my sense of humour, not her dad's, so she's laughing! (Weren't we all???)
you must be tired today after all that Grumpy....

Had the words going round my head all night... SO clever.... (actually, I was asleep, but if I had been awake, I'd have had the words going round my head all night).....
think it's time for coffee...

katytc

I've seen you too Dame Grumpy, in complete awe, a proper tv star/director type person in our midst! How simply glorious! See you had the Cumbrian version of our script in your hand..........well done, the publicity is invaluable!!
GD was off school, stayed in her onesie all day, no sickness hurrah.
YD rested most of yesterday, hopefully now on the mend.
JCJ (love the tree, why is there a box of tissues??), fingers crossed all is fine, nanna bad time of year for all the bugs hope you and your friend are ok.
Soooooooo sorry Clunk but laughed and laughed at the little lamb's indiscretion..........tee hee hee xx

nannabarb

Dame Grumpy, I've got some magic knickers (shame the magic wasn't strong enough, think it would take the whole of Hogwarts waving their wands to 'magic' my lumps and bumps away) but you are welcome to try them if you want... I have washed them 🙂
Thank you all for asking, the move is all but done, only another 100 boxes to unpack...
Katytc hope GD and YD are OK now, and JCJ, if it is real and not psycosomatic pain, another friend of mine who is now 3+ yrs post DX kept getting pains in her affected breast and had a course of acupuncture which did the trick and she is pain free now.
My friend with secondaries is still not doing too well, is feeling quite poorly, and unfortunately someone with a bad cold has been to see her and infected her, so I dont know yet if she had her sceduled chemo today, waiting to hear. I suppose no news is good news..
grumpy

Well, that was superb!!!!
Cast and crew did good, and the Animals have finally got themselves sorted NB the lambkin around Mr Clunk's neck needs to go for a pee BeEFORE rehearsals start.... oops!!!!
I am still a teeny bit worried about the dance routines, as Bruno is still rather pale around the gills!!!
Gareth is absolutely thrilled with the soldiers chorus and all the carols - to be fair, he hasn't quite got to grips with the lyrics altho he has said we've finally got the melodies cracked - HURRAY
Now we've got the whole production co-ordinated, lines learnt, costumes all blinged and glittered, crew got escalators and light working beautifully, and I didn't have to SHOUT at all!!!!
Thank you so much for the frock in the shed, I shall have to get some magic knickers just to make sure.....
grumps

GIJaneH

forgot SOME of the lines, but you all kept going - so porfessional!

Waiting iwth bated breath for The Verdicit.....

RC, you are SUCH an a** licker, giving DG the designer dress in the right size....!!!! Can't compete!

RevCat

LOL I moved my box of tissues!
JCJ

It balances the box of feature tissues on the other side, RC!
RevCat

Me too... saw you via the wonder of t'internet. Haggard...? Elderly...? Nooo not our Dame Grumpy. Grumpy...? ONnly when justified. Very impressive DG.

JCJ loving the tree... hee hee you have a feature telephone by your tree... I have a feature super-duper modem by mine... Just dug out my light up star ready to take to church tomorrow, as one does!
JCJ

I've SEEN you on the telly oh esteemed Grumpy one! 🙂
JCJ

Sorry I'm a bit late I've been putting this up! Determined to distract myself whilst waiting for you all!

*I* feel like a Lancashire person and I only lived there for 3 years whilst at Lancaster Uni! Daughter went to UCLAN though and stayed on in Garstang for 3 years, so I got to go and visit again for a few years.

Right nightie's on but I've shoved the soldier costume and donkey suit on over the top. Just have to be careful which bits I take off in the Soldiers dance! Tea and mince pies at the ready. 🙂
grumpy

Go onto Border News, Ambleside Campus - I'm the rather haggard grumpy elderly womin in the pink jumper.... please note wall behind me is also BRIGHT PINK, nowt to do with BC, I just wanted a bright colour in a dark-ish room!

VIDP comments will posted after rehearsals.........

grumpy

Ali_H

ATCHOOO!!!!!!!
I have glitter up my nose 🙂
RevCat

[rushes around catching up on news]

Golly goshkins, Katy hope YD and GD are feeling better now and JCJ that the pain is indeed nothing of note. Hugs abundantly.

Cressida, shouting the words sounds good to me - you can be the Captain of the flushing soldiers and give the orders (so long as VIP Dame Grumpy is Ok with that of course).

Dame Grumpy how rubbish, I could not even find a photo of you on Border news website and I was sooo looking forward to seeing you. Now then, if you look in the shed there on a hanger is a gorgeous creation by some fancy French designer I can't spell let along pronounce and it's in just your size.

I have been busy decorating thwacking ladles for the soldiers - what do you think? Lovely tinsel, glitter and flashing lights... Took a lot of sticky tape to hold all th etinsel in place but it looks pretty impressive to me.

And an extra special lace shawl to wrap up the special baby...

Anyone seem Choccie Muffin recently, she's very quiet?
Land of NED extra busy just now... must fly... on my broomstick.... be back soon!
[exits stage right]
foxyferret

Picked up my prescription for next month's Ta'poxy'fen today and guess what??? Yes, another new brand to try and to worry about. Now got Wockhardt. Find it hard to believe they can't get either of the two other brands I've tried. Do drug companies suddenly stop making drugs for a while or what?

Will be thinking of you Monday JCJ - good luck - and of course it's psychosomatic. We all think ourselves into every imaginary scenario!

Katy - hope your GD and YD are both better.

I really wish I had Border News. Although I live way down South I am a Northern girl at heart. I was born in Lancashire, and often go back.

Right, costume on, lines learned (Ithink) rehearsal underway.
JCJ

Ooooh real live fame in our midst as well as virtual supremedom! 🙂

I'm on the jittery bench which is now right along side the "Why Is My Boob So Da*n PAINFUL" bench. Convincing myself - again - that the oncologist will find something hideous on Monday, as my affected side feels swollen and sore.

It's probably psychosomatic and will cure itself after my appointment but...................

At least tonight's rehearsal should help take my mind off it. 🙂
grumpy

That's it, I'm going to drag out the black velvet trousers and the sparkly jumper if that's the best you lot can come up with.....
Northern ladies - I should be on Border News tonight in a PINK jumper, fame at last!!!
grumpy

Cressida

Well benchlanders, I have a bucket but I need it right now. I have also taken a lot of steriods so let me know if any scenery needs painting.

RevKat - what time do I start shouting (did I mention lack of singing ability?) the marching up and down song? I am relying on you as a nice reverend lady and I don't want Grumpy to shout at me.
katytc

What a day, GD being sick all over the place and YD emergency appointment for bleeding, by 8.30 pm things had calmed down whew, in bed by nine! Hope today is better.
Perhaps Dame Grumpy should have a LBD, very stylish and professional looking in keeping with her role as very important type person, an interesting hat can add colour and with a few bells added DG will look wonderful.
Bit messy have had to write words of the carols all over my hands and arms, cause no matter how hard I try I just cannot remember all the words. Anyone excel at calligraphy because then it may look like an intricate design?
Think most here would fight tooth and nail for the role of the bucket........
Nanna hope you and your friend are ok xx