71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

JCJ

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Thanks for your support and understanding. After a lot of soul searching, I went with my initial gut reaction. Same as Quail suggested. BIL lives in London and doesn't drive. Can't travel on Xmas day! I told OH to tell him he can come on his own for Xmas day, or bring friend on boxing day. OH not tell him boxing day bit but apparently BIL happy to stay in London and keep Aussie pal company. Think I just made an enemy again cos it WILL be my fault! Families eh? They can be such hard work!

Right self-pity over. Time to scoff mince pies and look forward to seeing offspring tomorrow.:-) wishing everyone peaceful angst-free festivities. xx
katytc

Oh dear JCJ, Quail gives very good advice, it's amazing how a change can completely knock you to pieces, hope you feel calmer now. Another idea would be to have them for supper, leftovers, microwave and done! That would give you time to yourselves on Boxing Day..........and he would still be there for Xmas xx

Quail

Oh JCJ,sounds like such an unpleasant dilemma. I think you should think carefully and then do what YOU want to do. As my sister said to me on the phone, when you try to make everyone else happy, you wind up making NOBODY happy. Can you tell BIL that you'd like him to come boxing day, and that you've decided to spend xmas just with the children? Can you say that after all the treatment you are suffering from fatigue and have decided that a crowd will be too much for the day? After all BIL can spend the day with said Australian friend! Sorted! We are feeling your pain.
I'm feeling a bit lonely 'cause my family is in the States, and it's just me and OH. You've reminded me that there are two sides to the family coin--the holidays are so complicated, aren't they? Deep breaths everybody, and every time something threatens to get on top of you, just remember Ali at the top of the escalator, humps swaying to the music!

JCJ

Suddenly find myself on the CSL B-I-L just rang. Thanking me for my kind offer and yes please he'd like to come. Please could he bring an Australian friend who will otherwise be on his own. What is this? Open house for waifs and strays? I didn't give an answer - said I'd consult with S, D and OH - but I KOW S won't come if he knows this uncle is coming, never mind a complete stranger!

I can't win can I? If I say no, I am the evil witch again. If I say yes, I probably won't get to see S. Is it too selfish, after the year I've had, to want to spend Christmas Day quietly with my children, who I rarely get to see, and almost never together? Am I being unreasonable?

Sorry to dampen the joy of pantivity but I needed to vent somewhere: poor OH is stuck in the middle and D is having her own christmas Day today with her partner, because she's coming here tomorrow! Don't want to spoil that! 😞
katytc

For the moment the torrential rain and freezing wind has stopped, yippeeeeeeeeeee! Hope everyone is ok, especially FF.
nanna nice to see you again what a time you've been having, so glad your YD is better, she must have had a terrible fright and thank you for your kindness.
Picking up food today, all ordered so just to go in and pick up sooooooo easy, went over to Morrison's last night got a lift over because the weather was so bad (it's literally 5 mins from my flat) and started getting prawns, dips etc, halfway round discovered I had left my purse at home, couldn't believe it, had to ask one of the assistants to keep my basket, went outside and gales were brewing and battering rain, so off home then back out again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. On a good note got all the fancy stuff and only have to buy bread, milk etc, so sat on the "getting on my own nerves", "how could I be sooooooooo stupid" and the "soooooo annoyed" bench.
A DOCUMENTARY or TV SERIOUS??? SERIES??
Oh my will have to get myself in shape, tv puts at least 10lbs on you and can't keep saying the waist expansion is due to the fact I'm playing "Mummy".........................xx

JCJ

A documentary? How exciting! We'll be like calendar girls! 🙂 ( with one obvious exception )

Now THERE'S an idea for a BCC fund raiser?!
nannabarb

Ladies, I have been rendered SPEACHLESS by the splediforousness (???) of our A-MA-ZING Pantivity - and what FAB=U=LOUS reviews.
Just caught up on of 150 posts on this thread, and am now worn out!
Apart from Panto, been a busy week (belated Happy Birthday RC), darling GD in hospital again with this damned cyst/lymph node on her neck, it actually burst on Friday sending YD into a bit of panic, but she is fine now, on strong antibiotics and back to her usual happy, chubby self, so I'm off the worried bench for a while.
RevCat GIJane, you may be interested to hear that I spent this afternoon with Jesus (No I haven't seen the light, sorry, - my cousin in Law married a Mexican 🙂
Jelly, glad your surgery went well and you are without the dreaded drain now.
KatyTC , sorry to hear about your friend, I also have a friend who is struggling with secondaries, so if you want to chat, feel free to message me xxx
Christmas is a double celebration in our house too as it is Granson's birthday - on 25-12-01 he decided he couldn't wait until his due date in early January and wanted to deprive me of my Christmas dinner, as I was his mummy's birth partner and there at the hospital from about 7am to 7pm... still, at least I never put on 5lb THAT Christmas...
grumpy

I am puffed up with pride for you all, cast and crew and animals.....
Everyone did brilliantly, and I am in awe of your efforts. How everyone coped with costumes, escalotors, tinsel, piddling lambs, cardies, flushing (syncronised or independent) ice, SHOUTING, and temperamental thespian animals has been just ah-maz-ing.Bless you all (gestures with arms to include all participants)
Oh knickers I've got to send the frock back now......
Going to Edinburgh tomorrow for the festivities, Mille is all excited cos she will see Unkle Len and Anti Dawn (literacy - working towards level one) and go walkies by the canal.
grumpy
PS there's a rumour that a documentary team want to make a series about us.....

katytc

Congratulations JCJ, lovely, happy news!
What are you like Ali???
Bravo, bravo Dame Grumpy until next Panto (summer methinks) we all know that deep down you love organising our Pantos/Pantivitys after all where would we be without you?? Loved the dress, you shimmered across the ice soooo gracefully even when you tripped over all the flowers the fans had thrown, you still managed to look sooo dignified......well sort of?
Reviews are pretty respectable, we all put in so much work and it's great to feel appreciated.
Be careful and ever watchful, ladies and clunk, there has been a sense of freedom in the last couple of weeks but the alligators are back so watch your step.
PS Who was sick in The Bucket?? xx

Kayteeb53

Lol, love that Ali!
Ali_H

Grumpy have you seen my pic on page 3 of the sun??? The caption says 'cor....look at the humps on that!'
Kayteeb53

Ooh I need a calorie free mince pie, can I have a cuppa too please. (Avoiding alcohol today due to last nights excesses)
hitch up along the bench.
what about the reviews? I am reading them all as positive (Positivethinking doing her bit). Dame Grumpy must be really proud of us all!
if I could have the solar lights back I will twizzle them around he benches an trees n the Woods.
kay x
JCJ

I'll shove up and make room. Milk? Sugar? Mince pie or 3? they're only bite sized and full of fruit so you have to have at least 5! If we eat them in bench land they have no calories either. 🙂
Wendy56

Will join you JCJ can't beat a good cuppa. Never drank so much in my life ! (Tea that is )
x x
grumpy

THE REVIEWS ARE IN - HERE GOES...... Sunday editions hot off the press

The Dependent on Sunday -
'Set, special effects and moving escalotor a triumph of hope over experience'

The Moon on Sunday
'Costumes fabulous, altho' not revealing, beautifully blinged up. Head-dresses and jewellery amazing.'
(obviously Clunk did NOT wear his thong - whew!!!)

The Sunday Tines
'we have never seen such a crew of amateurs cope so professionally with so many catastophes '
Bit unkind that one I feel.

The Gobserver on Sunday
'A truly wonderful experience combining comedy, high drama and pathos in equal measures - a triumph'

The Sunday Telephone
'This has been an uplifting experience - and a falling down one!!! to be commended to the Prime Minister as an example of the Big Society, oh go on then, the smallish society.'

The Sunday Slow
'We have never had such a hilarious evening of theatre - music and dance deeply creative and entertaining'
Is that a compliment???

The Sunday Snail
'This show should be repeated all over the world, as an example to communities everywhere'
Example of what I ask myself.....

The Wezzie Gazette ( this is what they WILL report next Thursday when I send in the press release)
We have been privileged to witness a show of such breadth, imagination, enthusiasm, creativity and sheer hard work. It takes one's breath away, and the London theatres should be beating a path to their door to finance a worldwide run.

WE'VE DONE GOOD!!!!!!

HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
grumpy

JCJ

Cake iced. 4 doz mince pies made. Collapsing in sweaty heap on CBA bench. Nice cup of tea and a mince pie anyone?
Kayteeb53

Congratulations JCJ - nothing like a new life is there for bringing hope. Love the teddy idea!
If the relatives play up threaten them with the alligators!
Stay dry and safe Revcat and all others threatened by this miserable weather
Two Xmas cakes iced and ready for delivery to my daughters. Phew, glad they are finished!
Kay x
JCJ

RC - I know the perils of christmas-and-birthday combined! My own son was born 27/12/84! Mind you he LIKED it that he could have much bigger presents (eg expensive big Lego kits) if he had joint ones. Better than other kids' discarded selection boxes which was the other common gift! 😞 "Happy to you" was his way of giving Christmas OR birthday wishes for years, because he was so confused! I take no blame...........he was due on 12th Dec. He's always enjoyed a lie in!

Alligators eating apples and oranges steeped in alcohol? Wow! They're creating they're own flavouring - no need to add relish or sauce to the alliburgers?

FF I hope you are staying dry - the weather news looks scary for Devon & Cornawall! Also hope those of you in N. Scotland stay safe in the 'severe gales' forecast. Someone needs to inform the weather gods that the song is "I'm dreaming of a WHITE Christmas" - not a 'wet' one!!

I'm paddling through a wet christmas............... to be continued if I can BA! 🙂

I've just dashed into local small town to get a teddy for latest member of the family (it is my mission to provide each new arrival with a teddy, as OH never had any as a child - seriously deprived!) (Didn't want to tempt fate by buying it ready, because neice's last pregnancy ended sadly) Absolute mayhem. Soooo glad I've got all the shopping sorted.

Less good news is that it looks like B-I-L will be with us for Christmas. So, with OH and son, that'll be three hum-bu**ers in the house. Daughter and I will have to work overtime. Good will to all MEN etc? Still, I couldn't live with myself thinking of him on his own at Christmas, but he'll have to be under strict orders not to stir up arguments (his favourite past time. - If he hadn't fallen out with his partner and all his friends recently he wouldn't BE on his own!)
RevCat

Congratulations JCJ, what a lovely early Christmas present for you... word to the wise: never, ever buy her a "Christmas and birthday present combined"!!! Hope Mum, baby and rest of her family all well.

Now then, just look at the bits of fruit all over Benchland! I don't mind you picking it out of the no fruit punch but it's everywhere! Well it was, til I swept it up and fed it to the alligators... hope they like squished apple slices and mangled bits of orange! The good thing is the guilt for whoeve rit was who left it there went into the lake with it, so no owning up needed! How good is that? Looks like the alligators are all back in the lake now.

Took some goodies to the spider sanctuary too - I'm not scared of spiders! Boris and Charlotte were VERY grateful for a big bag of chococlate covered flies...

Dame Grumpy another triumph, surely you will get an OSCAR or a BAFTA or a whatever it is soon...? (demonstrates total ignorance of dramatic arts awards)

Next task... build an ark as the rain continues to fall on Britain... so glad I live three floors up.
JCJ

All the excitement helped my niece give birth! Her 1st - but I'm great aunt for 4th time! 🙂 they live in Torquay though so will have to make do with photos. Don't know about end of the world - life's certainly changed for them?!
GIJaneH

A triumph DAHLINGS, a triumph!

ooh.. my head.... sshhhh!

supertrouper

Poor turn out at the after pantivity drinks event......I think you were all too sloshed on glitterberry juice and the fruit punch!
I've collected boris the spider and am releasing him into the spider sanctuary - is it okay to let the Aligators back into the lake now?
Can't believe I am still awake - well I can! Having a 2 hour nap after drinkies after work does tend to mess up one's body clock.
Oh well, back to the woods to patrol the perimeter fence.
And to all a good night x
p.s. Well done everyone for an excellent show.

grumpy

Look, the spider is fine - IT IS ONLY PRETEND and I put a note in the programme.
However the sobbing audience is a tribute to fine acting (or something)
grumpy with hiccups

Ali_H

Lol!!!! Fabulous!!! Can I have some more fruit punch without bits of fruit in it please? Only I have to drink it through a straw cause of my camel costume and the bits of apple keep bunging it up....
Quail

Oh my!!!! What a triumph!!!! That escalator scene was just dazzling, and the way those colourful sweaters flashed on an off--well I heard more than one gasp from the audience. If I do say so, Mummy and I were affecting with baby, especially when the shepherd all started bringing the gifts of sheep. I'm sure that wee will wash off baby, and no one seemed to notice. And there wasn't a dry eye in the house by the end. Someone lead Ali over to the JM, we all deserve a party!
BRAVA DAME GRUMPY, BRAVA!!!!!
AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

Kayteeb53

Round of applause for Dame Grumpy, round of applause for the animals, round of applause or all the cast - oh that's it, sob, I'm off, sob sob. Where's those tissues...... (Sorry too much testing of the no fruit punch)
can I have a glass of something stronger (if there is anything)
didnt need my sewing box/toolbox - how magnificent. If we don't get good press well ..well bxxxxr them.
hic!
Ill have one of those baliurgers please
cheers fellow theps...thespians

kay x
katytc

Yep def an encore, Dame Grumpy get your skates on and take a bow with the rest of us xx

jellytot83

Let's get to the JM quick....unless we're doing an encore?
katytc

PS Have had to put Ali on the "crazy sobbing camel" bench, just till she calms down a bit! xx

foxyferret

Now, come on Ali, stop that sobbing. Camels do NOT cry. Have a quick snifter of the no fruit punch and pull yourself together, you are a strong woman/camel. Yes the ending is sad but it's only show business.
grumpy

Oh it has been just fabulous - the relif is overwhelming!!!! Hic!!!! Ahem, too much glitterberry juice has been imbibed to counteract first night nerves. Didn't spill any on the borrowed frock thank goodness.
EVERYONE has done a brilliant job, cast and crew, although I lost my place in the script several times, so I've thrown it on the bonfire.
I think the audience had a wonderful time judging by the applause, Mrs Clunk did a grand job leading the clapping, thank you.
Right then, everyone down to the bar for drinkies of choice and alliburgers, and the animals can have snacks of choice as long as they don't sqabble - Millie, you have to share, there's plenty to go round!!!!
Tomorrow's papers should have the reviews, hopefully we wont have to wait for the Sundays. But if they are unkind, do we care.....not flipping likely, we have had the best time ever.
Neighbours invited me for drinks tonight, had to refuse as I was directing a panto.... and they've been peering through the curtains all evening looking very puzzled!!!!
Thank you my darlings
grumpy

RevCat

Wow listen to that applause! We did it! Oh the poor, poor spider.... pass me a hanky please...
Ali_H

Crazy sobbing camel!!!
foxyferret

Ali - passing you a hanky. Don't worry no one has seen.
Ali_H

Ive forgotten my hanky for the sad bit at the end when the spider...you know..sniff
foxyferret

Grumpy is fine ,she's avoided the the non fruit punch and is still directing/SHOUTING at us to get this right. Believe it or not, it seems to be all coming together at this last minute.
Well done everyone!! Last Act coming up, the serious bit, we can do this, the story of the Nativity with feeling. Come on!!
Kayteeb53

Serious face on! Standing behind Mummy - she is doing so well, the sparkler on the donkey was genius.
Kayteeb53

I hope she didn't think the almost fruit punch was fruit juice and drink a tumbler full!
clunkshift

speaking of tablets, Grumpy's very quiet, has she been drugged?

JCJ

Stupid tablet (PC - not medicinal) takes ages to type then posts twice!!
Just attaching the tail sparkler. Hope I get the timing right!
Kayteeb53

All going really well, I'll top up the almost fruit punch. More ice, straws and umbrellas methinks.
are the cakes and mince pies going well?
JCJ

Interval. Time for a swift one in the bar methinks. Going well so far. The fans on the fans seem to be enjoying it.
JCJ

Interval. Time for a swift one in the bar methinks. Going well so far. The fans on the fans seem to be enjoying it.
foxyferret

I think we're doing well, the audience are making appreciative noises and clapping at appropriate times. So it seems to be ok so far.
Solar lights are fantastic. My socks (phew)!! do need a wash but I'll do that tomorrow.
Kayteeb53

Hope so, mine are a bit itchy - socks that is. Really pleased with the solar lights even though I say it myself
clunkshift

(stage whisper) Are we ready to start abiding in the field and washing our socks yet?

Ali_H

OH says can I giggle quietly, he's trying to watch mastermind.....
katytc

Here we are girls and clunk..........tonight is the night!!
The Dame looks fab and we are spectacular, costumes are soooooooo amazing!!
The bar seems to have opened early,time for a quick one, need one after the shock appearance backstage.
Congrats Jelly, perfect timing.
Oh feeling soooooooooo nervous, skates with bells on, off we go.................xx

foxyferret

No JCJ your costume is not back to front. Your're fine, there are no cats following you, you ate the fish before the chips, do you remember now? Everyone calm down ....breathe deeply....and we're calm.....we're calm.
We're going to give the performance of our lives and it's going to be AMAZING!!!
JCJ

I'm awake! Just made it in time for curtain up!! In my haste to eat my chips whilst changing into my costume, I seem to have mislaid my piece of fish and I can't see where I'm going so I may have the donkey suit on back to front! Oh dear! There seem to be several cats following me: I think I know where that fish went! 😞