69791members
366611posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

WTF indeed. Are you supposed to hide away? There is NO advantage in getting cancer and a bit of good fortune is well deserved
been to supermarket frequented by Heston and met grandson little grandson for a cuppa. He said 'Ive had 3 special days. I've seen you today, you and grandad yesterday and my friend tomorrow!' How lovely
kay x

FF, I was on the FF bench (the OTHER FF! :)) the other weekend because the BBC P***ed about with the scheduling, switiching channels, so I missed the Rally against Cancer exhibition match. We paused live TV so I could get the veg on for dinner and then when we got to the bit where they switched channels, of course it had already finished on live TV. I was livid.
The same happened last night - watching the Murray match but needed (note the choice of verb!) to get to the chippie for my tea so I hit 'record'. Fortunately, I decided to be a lazy ****** and go in the car, so I got back before they switched channels. If I'd walked, I'd have missed the match!
I am going to blast off "one of my letters" to the Beeb as this is unecessarily p***ing people off - both tennis watchers AND those who hate it. It isn't even as if some people don't HAVE BBC2 now we're in the digital age?! They're just following ridiculous habits and traditions. Grrrr

Oooh strawberries! Yes please. I was going to the farm shop this morning with the intention of gettign some for jam, if they're at a reasonable price, but ES has turned up so I don't want to go out. Maybe go tomorrow.

Some people have too much pride for their own good, Jane, and revel in giving others grief. Ignore them. You got the help you needed and deserved - (with a bucket load of luck thrown in!!) 🙂 x

Such sad news about Cromercrab. RIP.
Jane - to get help with hair/make up was the point of your evening, for anybody. WTF? indeed .Can't believe you got grief about it. But then, some folks are strange.
Garden or house work are what I should be doing but I cannot get off this Wimbledon bench. So cross last night with the BBC. Set BBC2 to record Murray's match knowing there was a good three hours of Wimbledon time allotted, and then what did they do after an hour? Switched it to BB1 and put the BBC1 programes on BBC2. So when I watched it I had one set of tennis followed by The One Show and Question of Sport. GRRRRRR!! The air turned slightly blue!
Not much else to report....sky blue....sun shining....strawberries and cream in fridge, local supermarket offer was buy the strawberries get the cream free. Well....I had to didn't I?

also on the Quiet and Thankful bench....

before dragging myself to the "do I garden/clean/iron or none of the above" bench... all need doing.... on call... working all day tomorrow.... but then I've got a couple of days booked at a spa place with best friend at the end of next week 🙂

bit reflective after hearing about Cromy...

Jenanne, I went into a well known department store who won't be beaten on price, when my hair was really short and a lovely lady at the Clarins counter helped with makeup. As a result, I bought some bits from her, and at Christimas, took my collueague who'd born the brunt of the work while I was off for an "evening". They had lots of raffle tickets, with great prizes. One you were given on the way in... others were in aid of LGFB.. At the end of the evening, after demonstrations and chat and eats, my friend won £150 worth of goodies from the tickets on the way in... and... I won the same on the LGFB raffle! Couldn't believe it, as we staggered home with our luxuries. Such a gift after a grotty year. I posted that I'd gone in without my wig to see who/what help I might get, and got grief on here for taking advantage of the fact that I had cancer. WTF? The lady was helpful - I spent money.... we both benefitted! Anyway, enjoy....

Right... garden.... vacuum... garden... ironing.... garden....

love
Jane

Quiet and thankful bench is a good place to sit and reflect, I agree.
thank you for the tip Ali
x

Quiet and thankful is a good bench for this evening, I think I'll join you there Grumpy. I've had an unexpected day off, my staff told me I looked tired and to have the day off, they could cope without me.... Actually I DO feel tired, out of spoons emotionally and physically. And my next six month mammogram is on Monday, I didn't think I was bothered about it but it's been on my mind today, it just never lets you go does it? Also had some sad news about a friend who's just had a cancer dx and a very poor prognosis, such a shock. So , thankful for health, and life, and friends....
Kayteeb I've found lots of craft projects on pinterest of all places, lots of tutorials too. I like bag making, so that's what I've done today - and really enjoyed it too 🙂

Sitting on the Quiet and be Thankful bench for a while tonight - God bless and sleep well Cromer.
Grumpy

Katyc, as I was siting on the CBA bench earlier today, I was wondering what to do with my spare paint pots! The Lost Plottery Shed!
Will come up with a 'design' for discussion
(heads purposefully into the distance!'
i used to love soft toy making when my girls were small, have been looking around to see if any workshops around. No luck so far
Cromercrab was just before my time on Bench land but the fact that she embraced the fun, as we all do, means that we were and are all part of the same group of lovely brave ladies. So sad.
take care all
kay x

Oh JCJ that's just the kind of unexpected letter no-one wants to get. Thank goodness it is 'just' a change of staff, but horrid to receive.

Raising a muggatea to absent friends, and knowing they would want us all to get on with living, loving and laughing. Lovely comment on Cromer Crab's memory thread that if angels knit she will be giving a masterclass...

So also raising my muggatea to you all, and wishing you a good weekend.

Drinks lined up on JM bar!!

\~/ \~/ \~/ \~/ \~/

I tried facial hair removal creams but they made my skin bright red and itchy - so I just had a more noticeable beard! 😞 Have had to resort to shaving chin and plucking separate cheek/lip hairs. So feminine?? Wondering about electrolysis or something for permanent job. I hope you get on better with it.

I'm on the shaky bench. I was shocked and saddened to hear about Sarah, AKA Cromer Crab, then got home to an NHS letter. Nothing expected - no apptmts til January 2014. Did have blood tests a couple of weeks ago. Panic mode immediately kicks in. When I finally stopped trying to guess what it was and opened it, it was changing my June 2014 appointment with onc. Thoroughly confused as it had the wrong Dr's name on it and the date and time were the same as on the appointment already given! WTF? I had to ring the hospital to find out my onc is "leaving the trust" (in more than one sense?!) and I've been allocated another onc. Apparently loads of people have had to phone today as the numpty who sent out the letters didn't make it clear. Feel strangely let down.

Right. Come on. Wimbledon bench awaits.

Thank you ladies/girlies!
Am a plucker Jen, so will be interesting to know how you get on am scared they ALL come in black, then I wouldn't go out at all! Also so glad you had a happy day, once you do something for the first time it kinda makes it feel alright to do it again! Woo hoo! GO GIRL!!!
RevCat all that cleaning, what's wrong with you????? Your pic is fab!
Kay, now you have a new expertise type thingy in windows, perhaps the lost plottery shed could do with a make over!
Was so shocked to see the thread about Cromercrab, hopefully Clare and Sarah are sitting together, amongst the claredrops, chuckling and giggling, so sad xx

Hi Katyc, lovely news! Great that you will be moving on with foot op.
will try the gunk GIJane (sucker for anything new)
going to do second Naturtint today, I haven't worn wig since Florida. By the way well known health xhop has on offer 'buy one second half price'.
Hi there Patty, welcome aboard.
have a great weekend all
kay x

Tip-toes to the Claredrop patch to sit quietly...

Just spotted very sad news on another thread that a Benchland contributor who had been quiet for a quite while died yesterday... RIP Cromer Crab (Sarah) I was only thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you were. If you look back you will see her humourous and upbeat posts here and elsewhere. Thanks for touching our lives Cromey, you will be much missed xxx

Well done Jenanne! When I look back at the photos of me when I abandoned my scarves (never used the wiig, recently gave it to a charity that supplies'pre-loved' wigs to ladies with hairloss) I am amazed how gallus (cavalier) I was sporting such a short cut! Here's one of my fave photos taken 3m after final chemo...

Seems a very long time ago now!

Hello All and Welcome Pat! Good news Katy.
Had Herceptin no.8 today on the mobile chemo bus. Also I decided to go out WITHOUT a hat or wig for the first time!! The nurse on the bus reckoned it looked fine. I told her that I still feel a bit 'manly' though with such short hair & a flattened chest- she said 'try wearing skirts Jen'! I felt OK, so I may try going 'au naturel' from now on, even though my hair is only a few mms. long.
Went into a department store in town via the Clinique makeup counter - talked to the assistant and may go in for a makeup session soon. Katytc - I bought some facial hair remover cream today - hope it works!

Great news, Katy, sooo pleased... so all now good for your op then?

BBC claim that the rain in Wimbley-don began in Scotland and moved south... well what do they expect, our schools have closed for summer, it's one of those natural law thingies.

Welcome to our crazy little world, pattyp, feel free to sit anywhere you like, or build a new bench if you can't find one you like.

Am feeling veey virtuous having decluttered and cleaned my office this week, I even cleaned the windows and hoovered the floor, so it is squaky clean ready for the people doing my summer cover whilst I sabbaticalise.

Sitting on one of the quieter benches today, thinking of a few bc buddies who have had bad news recently, and wishing them the very best treatment they can have.

Hugs to anyone who needs one, and a fresh supply of sweet, Scottish strawberries in ths Lost Plottery Shed!

Whoop de dooby booby. Fab news Katy!! 🙂

Great news Katy.

i was a grumpy old woman with those 2 noisy ladies!

gunk =' fat head' fudge... Not sticky....

Back to Wimbles Bench....

Back home woo hoo, some good news nothing bad happening with discs etc that they don't already know about!
Looks like foot op may cure the problem woo hoo!!! Am sooooooooooo pleased!
Found more arthur in my neck, feel really tired but very happy xx

You picked the wrong match, Kay. I LOVE wimbles but I can't stand watching the shouty women play either; and I'm sorry, I'm all for equal pay for equal work regardless of gender, sexuality, race, age or religion, but equal prize money for men's and women's tennis! Why?? The women's matches are shorter and rarely as entertaining as the men's.

Been out with 60 children to the inter-school cricket. Got back to school just before the rain. Phew! as half the kids didn't bring coats inspite of being told to AND forecasted rain. Parents are so stupid sometimes!!

Hope your day isn't too stressful Katy and your back issues don't involve too much (as my grandfather used to say) b***ering you about!

Am intrigued by hair gunk? What is it?
had three window companies round for quotes to replace all our windows. Am an expert on 'trickle vents' and toughened glass now! Make a decision this week once we get quotes. Ordered tiles for bathroom too! be lovely when finished. Then we start on the kitchen, that'll be more fun.
bargain skirts Ali. There used to be a Monsoon outlet at Bicester Village but its not there anymore. Bought dress for daughters wedding from there.
katy, don't beat yourself up. It's really hard to diet all the time and it does feel as though you are battling the hormone tablets too.
bit more sorting out of books today and taking them to charity shop
Hope you tennis lovers are enjoying Wimbledon. I looked at a match the other night with 2 shouty women playing, couldn't stand it!
good day all
kay x

Welcome Pat to Benchland!! We sometimes have adventures but all quiet at the moment, need to have a barbie soon, using our "ali" burgers and we also partake in supping the old glitterberry juice. Alligators are fed by the guilt! All food is calorie free so just pull up any bench you want!
Ali, it's not just the one day! Hoover????
Jane parking ticket grrrrrrrrr see them just waiting to pounce!
Have been munching chocolate ginger biscuits had 2 already this morning think they will help with the crazy flushing, cause ginger is good for you...........
Off to hos in another town today, back stuff don't think tests will make any difference but surgeon just wants a check, so will be a long day...................soooooooooooooo, that means substanial lunch for sustenance values.
Glad you are enjoying the tennis, better pop over to the "still disgusted with myself" bench near the "I don't care just now but deep down I do" bench that unfortunately is no where near "the get a grip" bench xx

Hello all you lovely ladies, I am on sick leave from school, I'm a HLTA, had my second WLE last week, and have been feeling so fed up, but after reading all your posts you have really cheered me up, thank you so much!!! Have got the awful Jezza on in the background, oh my goodness and I thought we had problems lol such a terrible programme!!
I too would love to lose some weight, but friends keep bringing me chocolate and cakes and it would be so rude not to eat them! Off to meet friends for lunch too, oh dear, diet starts tomorrow, well maybe ???
Pat

What an amazing day at Wimbledon! Secretly glad Sharapova's out - never could stand her loud grunting on court or her whiny simpering off court. But the other surprises today........wow!

Just spent 2 hours on phone to YD. 1st hour on her bill - free evening and weekend tariff . 2nd hour on mine, but I only have free weekend package. 😞 What a plonker/numpty. Should have used mobile: I have 149 minutes and 42 seconds left on this month's pay and go go go mobile to use before next week. Can't get used to mobile being cheaper than landline. Such a fuddy duddy?

I'll bet that we are all guilty of parking in the wrong place sometimes, I know I am. I have got away with it many times but have also had the tickets. I'm quite sure I'm on the winning side though!!

Skirts sound fab!

strawberries and cream after tea, in front of Wimbles.... Amazing day on the courts! I could NOT have watched the whole of the Sharapova match though, too noisy by half... Getting grumpier in my old age!
parked at the back of the cancer hair care place to buy some gunk...was only a few mins and acquired a parking ticket! I was in the wrong place, buOh it turned out to be expensive gunk!

I've been out for lunch with my best friend, celebrating our kids finishing various exams and stages in their education. Lovely Italian, very nice, enjoyed every mouthful. Then popped into one of our local charity shops, two gorgeous summer skirts (a Wallis and a Monsoon, other labels etc etc) for £10.50. Super.
Katy pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and Hoover for twenty minutes. One bad day does not wreck your diet x

Tee hee!
They say life is a learning curve, well, have learned that my willpower lasts a week...........am off to sit on the "disgusted with myself" bench, it's near the "reinforced fat b*******" bench xx

Oh dear Katy! I used to have a junior member of staff who would speak without engaging brain, she was a lovely girl but some of her comments were cringeworthy....to a customer trying on (and looking bloomin gorgeous in I might add!) a fitted, slinky, fishtail dress "oooh you look just like Ursula the Sea Witch in LittleMermaid!"

Def salad Ali and fish is so good for you (mini fish suppers) I like all of your ways of thinking!!
All these recipes, yummy, yum, my "good" spaghetti recipe is microwave onions and garlic then throw in tin of tomatoes and tin of tuna, season with salt and cayenne pepper. So not a fattening sauce but it's the amount I eat!
Remind me if grumpy brings her camper to MMU not to visit after fish supper eaten! Everyone always blames it on the dog, tee hee.
When I was at hairdressers, girl said have you ever thought of dyeing your hair?? It would take years off you, cheers for that, moi says, confidence soaring?? xx

My pasta sauce recipe, developed to con my son into eating veg...
Soften a couple of onions in a splosh of oil and a bit of butter, put the lid on and cook gently for 10 mins or so until squishily golden. Tip into a bowl. Add splosh of oil if needed to pan, soften chopped up celery and finely sliced leek till very soft. Add the onions back, a carton of tomatoes, a bit of tom purée if you like, simmer it all together while you cook some pasta or brown rice. Also fab with some narrow strips of bacon cooked with the onions, or brown some chicken and simmer in the sauce for an hour, or add more tomatoes and stock for a fab soup, or put some chili in with some browned mince for a chili con carne. Son also likes it with chipotle chilis in and cannelli beans and chopped manchego cheese, put in the oven so the cheese melts. Just don't tell him he's eating veg ok????

New piccy is me in training for MMU - scone with jam and cream. Naughty!!
grumpy

Fish suppers - Rev I know just what you mean! Been on the Solway coast for a few days, so had fish and chips for tea in Allonby. I was given two HUGE parcels to take to the campervan thinking I'd got the wrong order..... NO, a vast piece of fish and a massive parcel of chips - and I'd asked for small chips..... Millie's eyes lit up cos she always gets a bit of batter and a few chips. This time she had real fish and an awful lot of chips (then botty-burped all night in the confined space of a campervan!). I went a few days later for lunch and got 'fish strips' about a half portion and a MINI chips....perfect!
And Rev - those undissolving dissolvable stitches are a real nuisance, I felt like my bra was velcroed to my chest for about 3 weeks.
MMU is getting nearer and everyone is making a real effort, so I feel guilty. I was planning to just wash my face, pluck the whiskers and iron the twinkly tee-shirt, but I can see I need to do a bit more than that..... oh I know got a very pretty lace tee-shirt -over -camisole job from House of Oxfam (other charity shops etc.....) so that will get it's first outing.
Must try those healthy drinks - does a whisky sour count? it's got lemon juice in it.

grumpy

My pasta recipe - also good cold as a salad. Cook tricolour twisty pasta until still slightly munchy ( al dente) stir in a little extra virgin olive oil, a good squirt of tomato purée, a hefty sprinkle of basil - usually the dried variety, and a small dollop of ketchup to 'moisten'. Grate some cheese on the top if required (Use less of a strong flavoured cheese if you're being good!!)

Must stop talking about food or I'll end up raiding the kitchen!

So......turns out humous is high in fat , oops. And the lovely fish I thought had been grilled with a little lemon juice was actually fried in butter and lemon juice. Oops again. I should probably also confess to the strip of dark chocolate with ginger. You already know about the fruit bread. With butter . (well, you have to butter it don't you? It's the law I think, or something). And the mojito, which as well as the rum has a generous spoonful of sugar. However I'm sure the celery is completely guilt-free 😉

Our local chippie does a mini fish special. It, bizzarrely has a mini battered fish AND a sausage (battered or not according to preference) and a small portion of chips. It's my Friday night treat, only I'm not keen on deep fried sausage so I swap it for mushy peas. Douse the lot in half fat mayo. Nom nom nom!

I did a prawn stir fry for dinner and gave myself less rice & noodles because I've had a few 'naughty' things today (really shouldn't work in the staffroom - too many edible temptations!) Now I'm hungry and this cup of tea isn't cutting it! 😞

I'm on a bench in the garden enjoying the blackbirds' chorus and admiring thw tub I just planted (better late than never?!) Energy must be returning - can't remember the last time I felt like gardening AFTER work!! 🙂

Hugs to anyone feeling **** <<>>

Whew, indeed . With hindsight the fish bought at 6.00pm was obviously left over from lunchtime. Shouldn't have eaten it but I was hungry.
Pasta in itself is not terribly fattening, it's the sauces that we put on it that do the damage.
My recipie is fry onions and mushrooms add half a can of Campbells condensed tomato soup (half fat). pour over cooked pasta and enjoy. Garlic optional. Quick, easy, delicicious.

Both my dishwashers left home years ago (son and daughter), since then all dishes done by me in a sink. I cannot get my head around the water usage of a machine compared to doing it myself.

Entirely agree Ali, definitely a salad drink, very good for you,"a little of what you fancy does you good". Great saying that....... covers erverything.

Erm, mojitos.....surely a diet drink? It had a lot of mint in it, and mint's green, so surely it counts as salad?????? Oh and it had lime juice too, so def a salad 🙂

Woo hoo Jenanne!!! Psssst maybe we could compare moustaches and long facial hairs that appear from nowhere?? Oh what fun we'll have! Could have a competition to see who has the longest stragglers, think I maybe a winner here.
FOOD, FOOD FOOD obviously on my mind a lot at the moment, well, went mad tonight and had a HUGE plate of pasta, it was fabulous, back to salads tomorrow!
That's not good FF, food poisoning from a chippie, yugh!! but fab news everything is fine! WHEW!
Off to do my dishes by hand not in the dishwasher I've never used, mmmmmmmm maybe this year, oh and never got my nook due in Fri, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, "the girl gave me the wrong information" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when does anyone ever give you the right information nowadays??????? xx

Please stop talking about fish suppers, you've made me want one and my local chippie is one that I shall never go to again after food poisoning last time! Now, a fish supper means a round trip of 20 miles and is not happening tonight.

Been to hospital today to see surgeon (regular check-up) and everything is ok, thank goodness. Back again in 6 months. Actually saw the consultant that operated on me, not one of his underlings that I've seen last two times. It amused me when he looked at my boob and said "Hmm, that's quite a dent". A dent? A dent? That's not a dent, that's a good half of my boob missing!! AND HE DID IT!! From the way the rest of the conversation went, I deduced that he would have offered lipofill (sp?) if I'd wanted it. However, no-one will EVER put me under an anaesthetic for anything that is not life threatening!

On the tennis bench again now, watching what I recorded while at work.

Re. training for the MMU: I have lost weight over the past year (avatar is me nearly 2 years ago size 18-20, now size 14!) I'll be concentrating on new makeup & experimenting (a lot!) for a more youthful look! First I need to get rid of the moustache and chin hairs which are growing back well after treatment, and then decide what to do about my stubby eyelashes - too short for mascara. Also, I want to get my long-haired wig styled; I think it would suit me better cut shorter.
Fed up with looking like Nora Batty at the moment!

Yep we have mini fish suppers here too!
Good that niplet is looking good hurrah!! xx

Oh Ali, some choc fell again into my mouth, keeps happening.
Have been told that there are a small amount of steroids in tamoxifen, is that true??????? Has anyone ever heard of that???xx

Well, I was in training for the MMU with what is known at my local chippy as a "mini fish supper" viz one piece of fish and a copable portion of chips rather than *two* pieces of fish and a humungous quantity of chips. Not sure how much this is a Glasgow thing or whole of Scotland... but a fish supper here would serve two easily! Then it was strawberries - yum!

Nipplet is settling down nicely now looking a bit scraggy with "do not touch' crusty bits of skin and/or scab and long tails of undissolved soluble stitches but I can begin to see what it will be like and it's going to be good 🙂 I am so, so lucky to have one of the top oncoplastic surgeons in Europe, never mind the UK. Will be glad to get to the end of the process once tattooing finally happens - though I'm advised sometimes you need as many as three goes to get the colour to stick properly!!

On the wind-down-to-sabbatical bench now... all feels a bit weird but I'm looking forward to it.

Too many bc and other friends experiencing dark times just now, so am off to replenish the lacy hankies and spoons supplies for anyone who needs them. Hugs for anyone who needs them xx

I spoke too soon . The four o'clock munchies got me...coffee and a slice of home made fruit loaf, it was very nice. Hubby and son love baking....!!

Katy I seem to have stuck at a weight loss of three pounds! Am sticking with it though, have finally got past the 'kill for a kit kat' stage. My downfall is the five o'clock munchies...today though I'm prepared, I have hummus, celery and carrot sticks! I will get another pound off, I WILL..... 🙂

Lots of strawberries munched, yum yum no cream though and no tennis watched!!
Meeting friends most days this week so will have to be good, had half a slice of cake yesterday! How are you doing Ali?
Bit chilly again this morning, weird weather.
Told yesterday that "70% of women, during their 5 years of treatment gain weight" really????? It's nothing to do with the ta"poxy"fen or chemo drugs though, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! xx

I an firmly attached to the tennis bench for the next fortnight, with the help of the record button between 3.30 and 6.00pm . Such a shame that work gets in the way of Wimbledon!
Passing strawberries (that are better than raspberries) Pimms and the umbellas that will probably be needed. Is this summer? It's cold here and drizzling and just how am I supposed to get the washing dried?

Not a tennis fan (but do like strawberries, even if raspberries are better).
Love my Kindle, lives in my bag so with me almost of the time. Have also loaded Kindle software on smartphone so even when OH thinks I have left it at home I can have a sneaky read. As grandsons would say.....Epic!
kay x

Wow! The tennis bench is already exciting!! 🙂 I won't spoil it for anyone who's recording it!!
Pass the strawberries.