69748members
366381posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Ah I shal miss being Kayteeb Benchland. Problem is that if I was going to Morecame as my surprise I would be on my own as you will all have gone home!
well YD move went well yesterday. YD Both SIL and OH worked so hard. I not allowed to lift due to having had another epidural on Tuesday, so I made bacon and sausage rolls for the workers breakfast, cleaned rooms as they were emptied, and various other bits and bobs.
house cleared and lorry packed by 12. We then had to wait for completion. YD money was sitting waiting with her solicitor but the buyer of her house's solicitor was really dozy, and all were chasing him to get a wriggle on. Finally completed at half past three, and we thought they would have to keep the lorry overnight but they worked so hard the lorry was emptied by 5! It is a town house over three floors, so what with the heat and 2 flights of stairs they were exhausted. At 6 we shut the door on it and came back to my house for a Chinese takeaway and a glass of wine. Back for round 2 today, although carpets not being fitted until Monday
moving house is sooo stressful for all involved, I am so glad it is over for her!
stay cool everyone
kay x.

Lol, if you pronounce it 'Benchlund' it sounds rather posh....

Hahaha. Like minds, FF? I didn't see yours re understairs before I posted mine. STEP AWAY WITH THAT SHAVER!

I think the guy in the restaurant was a little sceptical about the name Benchland, probably because the hotel is in an area close to the promenade where there are an ENORMOUS number of benches! But I brazened it out and even spelt it for him! He took my mobile number, which is just as well, because if he rang the landline and asked to speak to Mrs Benchland, OH wouldn't know I exist!! 🙂

Oh dear.... I find facial hair rather atttactive..... must clear out the cupboard under the stairs! 😛

Those booking names are just hilarious! Gareth Malone now a sort of cross between Rolf Harris and Frankie Boyle??

You are sooooooooooooo bad! xx

As a disguise it doesn't work, I recognised him at once. But the hairiness was really off-putting, hence the lie down.
Now I'm thinking.............I can soon shave him.......... starting to clear out understairs cupboard right now!

FF, he's in disguise, he was held captive, by someone????????no names to be mentioned whisper, whisper!
Yep love booking name!
FF Benchland
GI Jane Benchland
grumpy Benchland
JCJ Benchland
Jenanne Benchland
Me Benchland
RevCat Benchland
What a coincidence we all have the same surname????????? How weird is that????????? xx

Brilliant name to book under JCJ - think we can all remember that.
Glad you got out sucessfully Katy but please don't overdo it.
I now, even more, realise how lucky I am to have both my children and their families within 10 miles of me. Will be seeing both over the weekend.

Anyway....what I actually came here to say.....is, that I have just seen a trailer on T.V. for the Coronation Gala with Gareth Malone. Yes, our own Gareth but he's grown a beard and moustache and looks............. Judge for yourselves but I need to go and lie down in a darkened room!!!!

Lol. Glad your venturing out was successful. I bet that's made you feel much better? Whoop whoop! xx

Right! Time for mugatea on the TFIF bench before venturing to the chippie for dinner. 🙂

Afternoon tea booked, for 8 at The Midland, Wednesday 7th August at 3.30pm, in the name of "Benchland". 🙂 Thought that was something we'd all remember - and didn't want to share my surname, publicly on here! I said there were no allergies that I knew of, but will get back to them if I find otherwise, or the number of us changes! So please let me know - by DM if you want - if you have allergies/are veggie or anything.

So excited! 😄

DID IT!!!!! woo hoo be dooby/booby!! Tri walker saved the day which now leaves me more confident for the MMU! Am absolutely terrible at letting others do things for me sooooooo am happy to know I can get out, by myself. Am off to sit on the "independent Annie" bench.
Bought a few tasty things one being a big fat scone, ate with lashings of strawberry jam and on last mouthful said jam managed to drip all over my new tshirt! Lesson number one Be careful (me) at the afternoon tea in that popular resort, so will now have to be checked hourly for buttons popping and for slabbering food all down myself xx

Thank you JCJ!
Aaaaaaaah Jane, it is hard, ED moved out 10 years ago was very sad but also sooooooo happy for her, it's such a weird feeling and your tummy will be twirly for a long time, still saw her most days and still speak daily, YD is still with me so the nest is not completely empty..........
All joking aside, wear what you are most happy and comfortable in whether it be dresses, skirts or trousers, am just sooooooooooo looking forward to meeting my "kookie" virtual friends in the flesh ! xx
Am trying to build up courage to have a wander today, need to blow away the cobwebs......luckily there are a few BENCHES situated periodically along the path, try with tri walker cause crutches are very hard work! xx

GIJ I know exactly how you feel about empty nest. I remember both our offspring going - within 3 weeks of each other. 😞 I kept going into their rooms and standing there. It was like a bereavement! Didn't last long though. We are used to our own routines now - I use her room as a 2nd sitting room to escape OH's TV choices - and sleep in there when he snores/I'm too hot/fidgety -(ie for some of every night!) We love it when they come to visit but it's also nice when they leave and we can settle back into our routines. I never thought I'd say that!
The main thing is to know they're happy - it was hard when either of them were going through stuff too far away for me to be mummy and rub it better! We just got used to having the place to ourselves and ES came back! Twice! 🙂 😞
YD's birthday on Wed (26! How on earth did that happen??) and she's coming for the weekend. I'm so excited! 🙂
Better get dressed and ready for work. So tired. TFIF! Only 5 more work get-ups. (Which is 5 too many)

Sounds brill....Hubert good if you could do the honours jcj... Can always add or subtract newer the time. We seem to have dwindled a little, but the enthusiasm hasn't! Baby left the nest today. OH and I wobbly and emotional. We'll get over it/used to it...love Her to bits..

I've just had another look at that link to see the clothes and realised just how much food is involved. I will definitely need a doggie bag!! Perhaps I'll skip breakfast as well!!
Smart casual I can do, or even smart at a pinch but I do not own a frock....nice, little or any other description.

Grunpy - glass of champers is available......................£8.50 a glass!!!!!!!! I'll stick to the tea.

Been swimming tonight, so I'll phone and book it tomorrow when I get home from work - unless I hear otherwise.

Looking at the hotel's own advertising, the people in the photo seem to be dressed quite casually, so I think I'll leave the ballgown at home! Don't think it'd survive packing for camping anyway! 🙂

Ooooh tea at 3.30 on 7th sounds WONDERFUL!!!
I think the dress code is a 'nice little frock' so I reckon the Benchies may be sitting in a corner.....but it's holidays so anything goes.
Must check the menu to find out if (whisper) we could have a glass oc champers with the cakes.
Off darn sarf tomorrow but will be in touch via wi-fi so you can't talk about me - Millie is ever so excited.
grumpy Marj

3.30 sounds ok to me. I shall be skipping lunch that day to make room for tea, and then probably won't need any dinner either!!!!!!

Yep that's brilliant if you can book! Should we wear our tiaras??? Never been to an afternoon tea either so not sure of the protocol required..............you must tell us if it's yummy JCJ. xx

Booking for 3.30 is fine for me JCJ.

*sings*
Up all night eating buns......
Up all night feeling yucky.... 🙂

Katy, we can do a lot of sitting. May not be able to get up for several hours after that tea anyway - even if we do deploy "doggy bags" ( which has a whole new meaning these days? Ew!!)

I'm having an afternoon tea next week too! For a colleague who's retiring. Never had one before, now 2 in a month!!

Shall I phone and book for 8 @ 3:30pm Wednesday 7th - that leaves a spare seat in case I forgot anyone else (or Kay turns up..... WHAT a surprise that'd be?! 🙂 ). Does that time suit everyone, or should I say 3:00?

Ladies looking at the afternoon tea menu I think you had better starve yourselves for a couple of days before you go !!
Marie 🙂

That's funny JCJ, very clever!
Me and RevCat will be arriving after 4pm can't remember exact time on the 6th woo hoo!!
Golly gosh the menu afternoon tea, do we eat all of that each??
Had a thought we can have a midnight feast, running up and down the corridors with our tiaras and onesies, we can even try and smuggle in Jenanne!
May still be wearing my BIG shoe was told would be wearing it for 3 weeks then change to another type, looks like it maybe 6 weeks now, finding it really hard to walk with it so hope you are all still up for carrying me................will be such a mess xx
PS Kay your surprise trip maybe Morecambe???

I am a definite too!
Will be arriving Morecambe at 2.30 on Tuesday 6th. Staying at the Broadwater guest house.
Chips on the seafront and tea at The Midland.

http://englishlakes.co.uk/restaurants/restaurants-in-morecambe/the-midland/#AfternoonTeaMidland Hotel Morecambe

Menu available from link above. Price £16.50 each but it looks like a good feed! 🙂

Opening Times - Afternoon Tea

• Afternoon Tea: 3pm – 4.30pm
    (Reservations advised) Tel: 01524 424000

Yes I am a definite, and tea at the Midland sounds lovely.
Foxy PMs arrived and replied!!!
Got to pack PERKY tomorrow, ready for the off on Friday HURRAY
Grumpy

I was thinking we ought to book the tea at The Midland, if we still want to do that, to avoid disappointment. I can look into doing it online, if you like, once I know for sure how many. Unless someone who's nearer wants to do it in person??

According to my reckoning the definites at the moment are:
Katytc
RevCat
Foxy Ferret
GIJane
Grumpy
JCJ
EDIT: and Jenanne (sorry, didn't mean to exclude you - memory like a sieve - blame it on the Tamoxifen? Why not? I blame everything else on it! :p)

Is that it? Have I missed anyone? Are we all still definites?

Heard the Daft Punk song on the radio earlier and immediately had new lyrics in my head (think I may need psychological help?! 🙂 )

We've come too far
to forget who we are
so lets race to the bar
Fill our cups and our bras
We're up all night til the sun
I'm up all night with my tum
We're up all night, it's no fun
We're up all night feeling sweaty
The hot flushes keep on coming
Tamoxifen keeps on giving
What is this I'm feeling?
My face has gone all red now
We're up all night feeling sweaty
(Repeat various lines at random ad nauseam)

I'm in....(for mmu). Will be arriving Tues pm, prob havIng some time with an ex colleague...be there for chish 'n fips later if we're gathering... Got wed am free... Xpecting to meet some mad friends for afternoon tea somewhere .... No camels joining us isagreatdisappointment

niptiip or. Nipbling (amazing tiara) sounds fab!

clear mammo is good....

A proper titara? Ooh now there's a good idea!
Ok, MMU. On the back of today's good news hubby and I have added a few more days to our summer holiday, which my lovely staff have agreed to cover for me...but it does mean I can't really expect them to cover for MMU too. So it looks like I won't be there this time! I'll send the camels though, they like beaches. And afternoon tea . Andfish'n'chips on the pier. 😞

Grumpy - I have PM'd you, at least I think I have, never done it before!

I have enjoyed my day off doing absolutely nothing! Tidied up a bit, read a bit...ok a lot...and generally tried to keep cool. Things to do tomorrow so I hope it's cooler. Our weather just goes from one extreme to the other!

Just a very quick thunk before I disappear for a few days.... Do we have a definitive list of who/how many are meeting up in Morecambe? A few names on the old lists seem to have vanished... it probably makes sense to be sure who is going to be there! And related to that, is someone going to book our afternoon tea at the posh hotel, name of which escapes me? Not meaning to be bossy or owt, but just wondering.

Sorry you can't make it to join us - but a good excuse for another MU?? Your "mystery" trip sounds exciting - even if the mystery is somewhat spoiled by you having to set the Satnav! If it tells you to cross the sea, make sure you get a ferry!

Ali, can you aquire a set of nipples? Then, instead of wearing it on your forehead you could actually make a titara out of them? 🙂

Sooo glad to be of service re the limbo, Katy. I just wish I (or someone!) had given you the info earlier, because it would have saved you the hassle, and more importantly, the CSL bench! I think such services - and I'm sure there are other companies that make similar products - should be recommended by all plastering depts. My (A&E Dr) nephew says Limbo are the ones he recommends to patients.

I just made 7 jars of strawberry jam! Just got to print off and stick on the labels. 400g punnets were 2 for £3 last night in Sainsb, so I bought 6! When I came home from school and saw them there on the side, I wished I'd not bought them, but now the jam's made I'm glad I did. Also Veeery glad it's not so hot today - the heat would have killed me making jam yesterday!

BTW - love the songs Katy & RC: We really should make an album?! 😄

So sorry will be missing the MMU. Back with grandsons on 3/8, doctor and physio on the 7th and off to .... Somewhere for a week on the 9th. All very hush hush for my 60th. OH said he will have to tell me where we are going when we get in the car because I will have to set the sat nav, LOL. So by process of elimination I guess we are not going to place we have been to before.
tactical questioning going on at the moment!
movng my YD into her new house on Friday. I am not allowed to lift because of back so am on bacon and sausage sandwich making and cleaning!
surveyor been to finalise new windows, tiles arrived for bathroom and got designs for kitchen through. Busy times coming!
revcat, glad nipples working out well. Ali, whatever you decide will be good for you - yay for the mammogram results.
katy, could it be the wheelchair racing that caused the puncture? Just saying........
hope all are well
kay x

Hahahaha, Revcat, well Ali we will recognise you easily now with a nipple on your forehead hee hee, can stick a rhinestone on it and it will match your tiara. Gosh you will be making an entrance riding the camels and now with the"Special" forehead adornment!
Soooooooooo pleased your mammo results were good, woo hoo!
Enjoy Bath RevCat and keep doing your exercises, if you can avoid a sleeve etc all the better!
Jenanne sounds like you will be gorgeous for the MMU, well jealous...................!
Wanted to give a big thank you to JCJ, got my limbo, had a fabulously long shower and emerged with a dry foot!
Soooooooooo am off to the "happy and clean" bench, thank you xx

Loving the party song! Yep, surgeon very nice, says its up to me. Dont like the sight of it 'au naturel' but at least I match up now in my summery vest top which I do like.
Cooler here today too which is quite nice, although sunshine promised/threatened again for tomorrow. If your arm feels better Revcat then it is doing you good, nothing wrong with feeling better! I visited Bath when I was little, all I really remember is touring the baths and being offered a cup of the water to drink, which smelt and tasted awful! Do they still let you drink the water I wonder? Bet H and S have had something to say about that... Anyway, enjoy 🙂

Yippee! We love normal mammograms... time for cake (with calorie free middles) and any other little treats.

Hope the stick-on nipple helps with your decision making, Ali... it's good to take some control back rather than being rail-roaded or roller-coastered into something. And of course you can nippled and nippless days just as you please! How cool is that?!

Oh dear, I wish you nurse hadn't said that... I feel a really bad party song coming on...

♫ Hold a camel in the air
♫ Stick a nipple on your face
♫ Put your knee highs on
♫ And your tiaras too
♫ Dance aorund Benchland
♫ Chase away your fears
♫ And though you hate this song
♫ You'll be singing it for years

Gorgeous kitty cat Jenanne

Cooler here today - thankfully... mega hot flushes and 30C or thereabouts temperatures was not a good mix. Being good and doing new arm exercises and SLD... no idea if it makes my arm any smaller (hard to be sure when it was 'mild' to start with) with it feels a bit better anyway.

Heading south and west at crack of dawn tomorrow to go to Bath on a study trip... never been there so am quite excited.

I'm just back from check up with my surgeon! Mammogram 'normal' woooo hooooooo
And, I've got a stick on nipple to see how I get on with the idea of having a nipple again, before making a decision on surgery. So thank you all again (specially Revcat) for support.
Off to the 'having a cuppa in front of a mirror so I can admire this strange projection on my left boob' bench 🙂
Ps the nurse who helped me with the sticky said I'm allowed to wear it on my forehead at Christmas parties if I really want to. She must think I'm mad.......I didn't tell her about the camels.... 😉

Aw Jenanne, love your cat picture!

Lol. Crossword clue in my puzzle:
"I'm Helen's fashion guide as to these
And their relativity to her knees"

Answer is obviously 'tights' ( though I'm not sure who Helen is?) but it doesn't seem to fit. 🙂

*real* answer is, of course, 'hemlines', but I had to laugh and think of you lot! 😄

Katy, get yourself over to the lost plottery shed (we will thwack away any alligators that may be roaming). You can make use of the transmat beam in there, but take it easy and rest a while on one of the comfy chairs while indulging in a little/lot of what you fancy from the tardis fridge. Take it easy!
Grumpy, your friend's parents probably had a brilliant time at Glasto! I'll have to go again one day - been twice, loved it.

Foxy I shall be in Cotswolds this weekend then on to west country.
PM me so maybe I could be near you the following week..... with twinkly tee shirt and Millie Senior Dog...
Rock on - friend at w/e told me her elderly parents saw the Stones at Glastonbury!!
Grumpy and sweaty........

Making my way alternatively from the "CSL" bench to the "laughing in a deranged manner" bench, both near "the lucky four leaf clover" bench......................."the getting a little p**d off" bench, "things can only get better" bench and the "getting a tad fed up" bench and it's all taking ages cause can't find the transmat, oh and I'll probably be eaten by the alligators shortly...................knowing my luck????xx

Sorry but laughed out loud regarding the appalling grammar remarks, JCJ's a little tough on you at times FF! tee hee hee! xx

Oh, absolutely brilliant Katy. That song (in it's original form) brings back so many memories of good nights spent at a local British Legion Club.
Now to have it immortalised for us Benchlanders..........

Start spreading the news
We’re leaving 4 weeks today
We want to be part of it
Morecambe, Morecambe

These flashing light shoes
They are longing to play
Right through the heart of it
Morecambe, Morecambe

Wearing our tiaras, in that city
That doesn’t sleep
And find we’re Queens of the bay
Top of the heap

Our huge red flushes
They’re melting away
We’re gonna make a brand new start of it
In Old Morecambe

If we can make it there
We’ll make it anywhere
It’s up to us
Morecambe, Morecambe
Do da doo dee do lalalala! xx

Having misunderstood you once, I'm not about to do it a second time. Knew what you meant........and I totally agree with you about the doughnuts.

Oh FFS! Now it looks like I'm accusing FF of apalling grammar! 😞 Wouldn't dream of it. *stomps off in a huff to fetch another mugatea and anotherr donut*

Apalling grammar above. We're not camping for first time ever - been going at least once, every year but one (when ES was 6 months old and it persisted down all summer!!) for the last 43 years (well, she hasn't, obviously!). It will be the 1st time we've gone away 'without the men' and not gone to the sea.