67.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

katytc

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Brilliant, RevCat! She loves the pink and wanted to pinch mine, I said no chance, so she will be thrilled to bits having her own!
On the "smug" bench loads of hoovering, cleaning and washing done! It's near the "better you than me RevCat, all that train malarkey" bench!
Forgot to say was just through the gates on last journey home and a lady was being pushed in a wheelchair she slipped coming off the train and had broken her foot, now that's a lucky white heather moment xx

RevCat

I dind't sleep either Jane 😞 whacked now!

FF hope dinner was yummy and your daughter does not think you are too mad after seeing pics!

Katy - will do! Just sent the ones I had left to someone else in Glasgow!! What colour would you like? Will be at least Monday before I am back on line properly. Will email you to sort out details if that's OK.

Oh dear, yesterday I was meant to meet someone locally for a cuppa and clean forgot after I logged onto computer and started reading things. The shame of it!

Have packed cakes and gifts for the mother... then off I go back through all those stations again to Brm in the shadow of FF, and then local to House of Mother.
katytc

Hope you are sleeping now Jane, must be all the giddy excitement of the last few days!
Lots of boring things to do today..............have been on the "CBA" bench for the last 2 hours, another mugatea then over to the "get motivated" bench.
Foot is playing up a little it behaved wonderfully in M, once back to reality of tidying etc blah, blah it feels a bit tender so what I should do is have a stroll, sit down, eat, have another stroll, sit , eat..........
RevCat the lovely bracelets, YD adores it, would like to purchase one for her, can you send me info please? Enjoy weekend celebrations xx
Ali, loved your son's response hee, hee!

GIJaneH

Can't sleep.....

GIJaneH

As you say, out of e mouths.... Love it!

last benchie is home.... Pooped but happy. Great week with old friends and new ones.....the dancing shoes fair wore me outa, bit it was all great fun... Tiara unwrapped.... Glitter bury juice glass waiting for a refill..

the wheel came off my suitcase as I tried to stow it on the train, so I had to carry it through London 😞

good to be away, good to be home. how have the camels been after their adventure?
have a good time Catriona...
fab fab photo ST

Ali_H

You know the saying 'out of the mouths of babes'? Well, was explaining to my teenage son the concept of a thought for the day (which from my new book is 'I am willing to let go and be happy')
And he came up with "it's Friday mum, we can have chips for tea"
:) 🙂 🙂
supertrouper

Hiya FF - got your PM - and done it! (giggles)

foxyferret

Supertrouper - I have sent you a PM.
Hi All - can't stop - going out to dinner.
Back later.
katytc

The pictures are glorious! Well done JCJ for picking sunny M!
Mammo cancelled, it was from national screening, whew!
Didn't get my door fixed grrrrrrrrr,despite reassurances that it would be a def, so he'll be coming when I want him to now, such a nuisance.............
Grey skies here am missing the sunshine, just started reading The Dinner Herman Koch, only read a couple of pages was so tired last night, happy tired! xx

RevCat

It was splendiferous - six sandwiches, three cakes and two scones each! One of the cakes had five kinds of fresh fruit on it - so utterly healthy as well as calorie free!

PS don't forget to check this thread for news on the forum updates http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/comment/2123560#comment-2123560
benedictus

Oh my word! How absolutely glorious. Because your meeting was an extension of Benchland I am assuming that this feast, too, was calorie free?

supertrouper

Afternoon tea that lasted for nearly 3 hours was delicious. Certainly good value for money. Wish I had taken a large tupperware (other makes etc etc) as there was a lot left over.
Photo deleted so that I can repost a better one!

benedictus

Happy Days! What a wonderful time you've all had. Thank you for sharing it with all of us. Benchland was quiet in your absence, but this morning's flurry of posts has certainly made up for it. More pictures please x

Trisha_51

Morning ladies, Supertrouper your photo makes Morcambe look soooo glamorous !! Glad you all had a great time. Pat x
Lols

Hi benches, I'm soooooo glad you enjoyed your stay in morecambe. I'm from around there and one of my brothers still lives there.
Im sure morecambe didnt know what had hit it but good it needs livening up.. Glad the camels enjoyed letting their humps down!! Morecambe will be shock this morning. Gorgeous sunset girls, great company what more could you want xx
supertrouper

Well what do you know - it worked. Here is my photo of the sunset at Morecambe.

RevCat

Golly, I get a lie in and suddenly Benchland is a flurry of activity!

ST hope all went well yesterday. re: email addresses, I have five of the MMU people's so if any other MMU ladies would like to swap photos I am happy to receive your email addresses on PM. I use bcc on emails so you won't end up with your email address begin sent to all and sundry. Obviously I won't send photos of people outside that sub-group.
Here is my attempt at the Morecambe sunset not as good as STs (ST you ought to be able to copy and paste from FB)

Book sounds really interesing Ali - let us know what you think.

Awaya gain tomorrow... back on the trains!

Sorry if typing worse than ever - blurry eye is playing up !!
Ali_H

Lol Katy, thank you! The camels arrived home around 2am, wearing tiaras and knee highs (whoever got those spindly legs into pop sox deserves a medal). They've gone out again in search of seagulls to chase but I suspect they'll settle for pigeons.
Ive bought myself a self help book called The Dance Between Joy And Pain, it arrived yesterday and flicking through it this morning I opened it at random, to a page with the words 'acceptance and moving on'. One of those spooky coincidences, so I'll start there 🙂
Kayteeb53

Such a lot of happiness coming across in these posts! Did you all the world of good to meet up, chat and laugh. So wish I could have joined you. It's hard for 'outsiders' to understand how valuable this forum is to us all, and how the shared experiences have made us friends.
great that some of you got beyond 'virtual'
kay x
katytc

Searching for your marbles Tiny_Tina????
Nearly all the Benchland Girls are home now, only Jane and the camels methinks!
Still smiling to myself with the memories and giggling at the pics.
Ali, thank you for solving camel prob! You may not have been with us in the flesh but your camels were with us ALL of the time, trains, chariot racing, tiara wearing, running up and down the corridors of the travelodge, eating fish and chips, munching Afternoon Tea, in the pub and posing for lots of photos! You've done well girl!
Stepped off the train last night to torrential rain after having the most beautiful weather in M, we were so lucky!
Oh by the way, NO butter or marg please! xx

Tiny_Tina

What a fantastic time you've all had and what an enjoyable time I've had reading about it. I am apparently picking up
some of the Benchland lingo. When my daughter asked my little Grandson where I was she was told Grandma was in
the lost plottery shed!!
Hope Hump and Dink made it home safely.
Think someone should write a Benchland book- how's about it Rev Cat?

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes, we hung around the seafront to watch the sun go down over the bay and Lakeland hills - absolutely beautiful.
Guest user
Not applicable

How did FF manage to get all that way back 'darn sarf' before me??? Got in at 8.45 - thankfully my son met me at the station and carried my bag home. Must remember to leave kitchen sink behind next time - that bag weighed a ton!! Thankyou all for the MMMU (Marvellous Morecambe Meet Up) - I had a lovely time!
supertrouper

I am on the cream crackered bench tonight. Not much sleep to be had in Morecambe. I blame it on the lack of glitter juice. I have had a couple of glittery flutes full tonight so I think I might sleep tonight.

My Millie dog scoffed the last sausage from my four sausage no bacon one egg loads of beans breakfast. It did get a little confusing when talking about dogs that had the same name!

Wish I could post a photo of the Morecambe sunset on here but for some reason only Revcat seems to be able to do that. Ohh and I do love the bracelet and the cupcakes were scrummy.

p.s. The lovely young man who patiently took our photo at the Eric statue deserves a mention. He managed to work two cameras at a time! Which reminds me. Can someone gather email addresses so that we can share photos?

Ali_H

Makes perfect sense to me Jane 🙂
GIJaneH

Well done RevCat ! I thought all norberts posts were deleted, I'm so glad you found that wonderful description. The Tardis fridge is in the lost plottery shed, along with our marbles. We certainly lost a few more in Morecambe! hopefully they'll find their way back. Lots of people thought we were on a hen party, but we explained, carefully, that we'd left the hens behind and brought the camels instead. We got a few strange looks, not sure why. Those offering to take group photos of us always ended up regretting it, as they were handed one camera after another!

im on the pooped bench, which is next to the whycantisleep bench....

home tomorrow.... Night benchies... Thanks for a great few days

jane. Xx

Ali_H

Been feeling a bit down today, don't know why, but a very kind Benchie has just sent me a pic of the camels at the MMU (no people, just the camels!!) and cheered me up no end.... So thank you once again to the fabulous people of Benchland 🙂
foxyferret

Thanks Ali, now we know. Hope they get home safely to you. Thank you for sending them, Katy and Revcat's entrance was spectacular but ensured that we all recognised them as Benchies.
Accosting strange women in the street is not something I normally do but fortunately I was right when I did it.

Twice!

I'm off to bed now, catch up on some lost sleep. Not setting the alarm, will wake up whenever, no work tomorrow so who cares?
Ali_H

Oh it all sounds wonderful (except the baked beans down the blouse scenario) Norberte sounds lovely too, I like her description of the benches.
Ok, a clue : Dink will pack the dishwasher, Hump will say "that doesn't go there, you'd fit much more in if you put the cups like this..."
Hump thinks the floor is where dirty laundry lives before the washing fairies magic it away
Dink can't get the lid off child-proof bottles, milk, or jam jars
Hump believes the ref on televised football games can actually hear advice shouted from the sofa
Dink has no spatial awareness yet can fit all the groceries in three bags without squashing the tomatoes
Hump changes the light bulbs, but Dink buys them
Hump has tried closing the fridge door v e r y s l o w l y to see if the light really does go out when it's shut
Dink wiped the finger prints off the fridge door afterwards...
katytc

Toilertries unpacked and put away, washing machine on, glitterberry goblet placed on shelf, bracelet admired, catch up with mail and then down to earth with a bang..................letter for a mammo come on????? xx

katytc

Oh the Benchland gals are heading on home over the hills, lalalalalalalalala!!
Big big thank you to all (camels included) for such fun, woo hoo!!
So many stories to tell.................
Around the Eric Morecambe statue we were treated to some fabulously spectacular showmanship
FF, somersaulting and spinning on her head
Jenanne, newly named twinkle toes, dancing the light fantastic
Jane with her superly, duperly fantastical, magical shoes tap dancing
JCJ belting out the Benchland Tunes, truly superb singing especially first thing in the morning...
Grumpy and RevCat racing up and down the beach on Hump and Dink, throwing catcakes to all and sundry
ST glittery, goblet giver twirling and swirling around the blue flashing light steps
And me the tiara Queen who still managed to spill discreetly her breakfast beans down her blouse, can't let the side down, What ho!
Wonderful news Milly, hugs to you xx
Big special thanks to RevCat who lugged my suitcase around and patiently waited with me for my next train!
And to ST who also pulled said suitcase down for breakfast.
Ali something that puzzled everyone who is the female Hump or Dink?
xx

foxyferret

FF is safely home and collapsed on the knackered bench. Journey was ok except the train into Brum was late and going from platform 1 to platform 12 ( the furthest possible) had to be accomplished in 6 minutes. At one point I was running. I DON'T DO running! I caught it however.
Daughter coming over tomorrow to see the photos. How am I going to explain tiaras and camels without her thinking I've gone totally insane?

I have had a splendiferous time in Morecambe, thank you all so much ladies. I don't think we ever stopped talking and the world was well and truly put to rights at times, with much laughter.

Next time ?????? Yes please.

ST - it's called the transmat but I'm not sure where it is.

MMM fantastic news, so pleased for you.
supertrouper

Thanks for that Revcat - it was me that was asking if there was a map.

Now where is that "beam me up Scotty" mat that you were talking about (Yes I know it wasn't called that but I can't call everything "thingy") And the tardis fridge - is that near the lost plottery shed?

RevCat

Some was asking at the MMU if any of us knew where the description of the (orignal set of) benches was, and mistakenly suggested that I had tracked it down and reproduced it. In fact, it was someone called Norberte, who left the forum some time ago, who did the guide, and it can be found at post number 42 on this thread (currently on page 2 but no idea if it will still be page 2 after the forum gets its revamp). Anyway, I have copied it and here it is for your delectation and delight!!

Quoting Norberte:
OK, so just to recap the benches:
To your right as you come in you'll find the guilty bench - it's small, & there's a queue so when you're sitting on it you can feel guilty about that too
to your left is the long ****ing furious bench - it's become a circular bench (with a nice easy gap entrance for those of us who can't clamber) but there's always plenty of room, & it's the powerhouse for the whole bench area, in producing steam which somehow gets turned into energy
the straight ahead we have the we're-all-equal bench - as you'll see it's conveniently near the guilty bench so people can hop across from one to the other any time they feel like they should / shouldn't be moanin as much / little as they are, because compared to other people hey have / haven't got it better / worse
the just behind the large circular ****ing furious bench you'll find the fat b******s bench - reinforced, obviously - which is conveniently close to the it's-my-fault-i-got-cancer bench (queue there as well, sorry, we're working on making that one bigger)
the over to your right behind the guilty bench you'll find the is-it-me? bench - for hen we've been shafted by the nhs getting it wrong & somehow always manage to come out thinking it's out fault or we're completely mad
conveniently near that one is the sad bench - it does what it says on the tin
& next to that we have the my-oh's-a-b****** bench, some of us will nip on & off that one but if anyone gets glued to it there's a divorce / run away crane available
|& now i feel guilty that I've probably forgotten a vital one - don't worry, I'm typing this in the queue for the guilty bench - but I can confirm that each bench has tissues a tissue bin, chocolate, alcohol, wet wipes & a magic box with anything else you might need in it (meat cleaver, pin doll, photo albums ....)
hope having a map clarifies things nicely - you'll notice that large empty area to your far left where there's room for growth, & electric scooters / buggies are available for travelling around the site
pl note that us disabled people can't jump the queue for the guilty bench - that'd be depriving others of something else to feel guilty about, which isn't fair play
Ali_H

Welcome back Benchie Travellers! I'm so glad you all had fun, cause that means you might do it again and more of us can join you! Loving the photo of Hump n Dink, thank you .... And Revcat, a good way to mark such a momentous anniversary I think
GIJaneH

Still enjoying my adventure - won'Niger home till tomorrow h
i was treated to a fabulous three course Italian lunch, which was a challenge after the cooked breakfast! Cheese and wine now.... So glad the camels are safe.they had a ball..... As did we all... Lurved meeting you dahlings.... Seriously (or not) we did have a great time.. Tiaras and all...

RevCat

Thank you Benchland Ladies for a trully topping adventure in Morecambe... dispatched Katy safely onto the northbound train and the camels onto the south bound one - phew! Gorgeous glitterberry glass safely stowed at home - thank you ST - and now just chillin' in eaRly evening in Glasgow. Thinking of Katy, FF and Jenanne still travelling - hope you get home safe and sound soon.

Here is one of Hump's and Dink's photos...

As you can see they enjoyed the flowers along the prom prom prom - and were at one point seen galloping across the beach! Hope they are not too hyper when they get home Ali.

PS Three years ago today at about 10:30 p.m. I rolled over and discovered the lump that would signal the start of this unchosen adventure. Three years later I am lucky/blessed/both enough to be fit and well, healthy and happy... two days with the Benchies was a brill way to mark the unexpected joy those years have brought!
grumpy

Just got home, Millie dog MODERATELY pleased to see me and now waiting by back door for walkies....
''Didn't we have a luverly time the day we went to Morecambe'' etc etc it has been fabulous fun.
grumpy

supertrouper

Am I the first one to be back home from the MMU?

What a spiffing time we all had. The weather couldn't have been nicer and the Travelodge place was perfect. Full cooked breakfast eaten on the promenade this morning and lots of chatting and hugs. My tiara is now on the dash of my car.

When are we doing it again?????

JCJ

There's a shop across the way from my room in Travelodge called Humpty Dumpty. It seems to sell baby things. I'm rather worried that the camels will frighten the children. There's a bit of a fracas outside. Hump recognised his name. Better try and distract him with this stick of rock!
JCJ

Afternoon tea was amazing and we all ate outselves silly, including the camels. We got cooked by the sun in the rotunda (not a euphemism) strolled to the end of the stone pier (neither was that!) Took more photos with Eric (Morecambe, not puppy), supped alcoholic - or not - beverages outside a pub and GIJ & ST managed to devour some chips. Morecambe did us proud and showed us a glorious sunset over the Lakeland hills as a finale. Bacon buttie rendevous organised for tomorrow before we all head home(tent)wards. Lovely to meet everyone and pleased that the collision between virtual and real worlds was so successful.How about our next Benchland production is a good old seaside variety show?
Ali_H

Hump n Dink have uploaded some pics onto FB. So, who bought them the Kiss Me Quick hats? And the Eric Morecambe snow globes? And the giant sticks of rock? I do like the Dame Edna style sunglasses on them though, very sensible, and the bumper stickers on their bums saying 'my other camel's a camel' are very tasteful....
Lols

Hi, girls behaving badly and camels glad your enjoying xx
GIJaneH

Done the stroll from bench to bench.... Wore our tiaras round Eric, and he wore one too...been stooped and asked if we're at a co ference, with our badges! People very obliging about taking photos of us all, before they realise they'll be given lots of cameras! the weather is amazing.... So were revcats cupcakes! Afternoon tea has a lot to live up to....

GIJaneH

Done the stroll from bench to bench.... Wore our tiaras round Eric, and he wore one too...been stooped and asked if we're at a co ference, with our badges! People very obliging about taking photos of us all, before they realise they'll be given lots of cameras! the weather is amazing.... So we're revcats cupcakes! Afternoon tea has a lot to live up to....

grumpy

Right then, dressed, washed, dog walked, coffee drunk (not too much!!!), nose blown (hayfever...) birdfeeders filled up, open windows adjusted.
Now stand on front step to wait for transport to station..... arr Morecambe 11.30-ish.
grumpy

Kayteeb53

I do thnk you should do a sneaky bit of labelling to one of he benches - Benchies Made It (in all ways) would be appropriate. Even just a post it note would do x
Kayteeb53

Great that you all having a good time. Had a virtual glass of fizz with you all. Have fun today x
RevCat

great news MMM.

OK own up who set off burglar alarm outside TL at one thirty? camels snoring outside my room! hurrah for escape to benchland via kindle.

at least the cakes are in my room!
JCJ

Excellent news MMM! We will eat a cake or 3 in your honour! 🙂