67.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

GIJaneH

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

slippers, swimming, hair cuts, knitting.... so much going on!   I get the need to book a holiday....

I've had another week of antibiotics, and still think the UIT is ignoring them.  I took a sample in to the Chemo suite when I went for a blood test Wednesday.  They rang me yesterday to say that the blood results were good (I have the same immune markers as someone not on chemo :-)) and that I still have an acute UTI.  I rang the GP to get a prescription... come and give us a sample.  I did one yesterday, shall I ask the hospital to email you the result?  No, we can see that, but they didn't ask what antibiotic you should have... no but the doctor did that last week... need an up to date one... grrrr.... GP will ring sometime today (maybe/hopefully).  Got Pilates soon.... and then some friends coming over to sit outside with a coffee.  My OH will light the chimenea, cause it's still cold.  Still, the sun is trying to shine...

Having prepared for the chat with the chemo nurse yesterday, I realised that I have 9 side effects!  Thankfully they're all reasonably mild, but they're mounting up!!

Think I deserve a toddle to the pamper bench.....  Hope the chips were good!!!!

JCJ

Forgot to say: my slippers have lasted years because they have a thick plasticky sole. I've trodden the backs down terribly (too lazy to put them on properly!) so I'll probably have to replace them long before they're worn out. They are Padders. The lining was fluffy, but even though it's thoroughly flattened now, the thick sole provides a cushion.

My hair needs a trim but, even though our salons reopen on Monday, I'll give everyone who's more desperate a chance to get in first. I've got to find somewhere I feel comfortable going to anyway as mine has closed down. The girls have been cutting each other's - reasonably successfully!! 

JCJ

Whoop! Whoop! Swimming booked for Monday night. Hurrah. Also for OH for Tuesday afternoon (already looking forward to chips afterwards! 😁) How tragically sad has our life become that putting those (swimming sessions, not chips!) on the calendar caused a little celebration moment?!

Opticians has been pestering me, for weeks, to book an appointment, as I'm supposed to go annually now due to potential tapoxyfen cataract problems. I've been putting it off until it feels safer to go: maybe when I've had my 2nd vaccination, but I might book it for when he's swimming as I'll be hanging around in the vicinity for a couple of hours; “2 birds (swans?) with one stone"!

Another indication of how sad I've become is that, when I put a new bag in Henry the Vacuum Cleaner, yesterday, even though the old one wasn't quite full, it felt like a deliciously decadent treat! Sad, sad, sad!

I've been researching holiday cottages for September: I want to be away when school starts up, because I can and because it was lovely last year. I've found a dozen or so places, all within 2 hours drive (so no seaside 😢), and I've marked them all in the road atlas, with post it notes, for him to pick one. Just got to wait until he can be bothered to do so. Trying very hard to be patient and not nag (or he'll decide he doesn't want to go ANYWHERE 😡) whilst worrying that everything is booking up fast! (One cottage was £100 dearer the day after I first looked at it - and it was Saturday changeover, so we'd lose a day anyway. **** that!!)

It has been lovely and sunny here, although it's a bit greyer today, but the wind is icy; causing the dance of the 40 fleeces whenever I'm outside, depending on sun/shade/exposed/sheltered location! We had some serious snow flurries yesterday, but nothing settled. I got the "lawns" cut on Monday but otherwise it's been mostly a case of hunkering down in the warm with my knitting and cross stitch (16 pockets and 8 ornaments so far and the x stitch owl is about 3/4 complete: still a few months to go!!) 

Well, I suppose I'd better get off the CBA bench and organise some lunch. xx

katytc

haha JCJ you are funny😀, you will just need to find polo shirt with a pocket!!

Glad there is not too much difference regarding wool, think it's a brilliant idea.

Has been a woo hoo day, hair has been cut, so very pleased, clasp discarded, woo hoo.

As I walked down to hairdressers there were lots of queues outside barbers, we seem to have an abundance of hairdressers and barbers here. Hardly any shops................even less resulting from closures.........

Seemingly the powers that be, want a cafe society here but you do have to entice visitors with some shops perhaps??

It is so, so cold here, sunshine is deceiving, brrrrrrrrrr. Have heating on, dressing gown on top of clothes and a throw and am still not that cosy.

Have purchased a more expensive pair of slippers with added support, will see how they work, loath to pay dearly for slippers??? but realistically I go through about 5 pairs a year, when they flatten down feel as though I am walking on sharp stones arrrrrrrgh. fingers crossed. xx

JCJ

Wool came this morning. It's almost exactly the same. I finished off pocket 12 and OH couldn't see the join - I thought I could but I know where it is! Phew. Should have plenty now because I panicked and changed my order to 2 balls.

I don't know how long it will take to finish: several weeks probably - each pocket takes a whole evening - but there's not exactly a rush for it as long as I can get it to them by 1st December. While waiting for the wool delivery, I've knitted a star, a mini wreath, a candy cane and half a mini Christmas pudding, so the ornaments won't take too long. I don't like all the ones on the pattern (eg: apple, pear, orange, pig, Who hangs those on their tree??!) so I'll be substituting in some others I've got patterns for. 

Just got back from 3-weekly food shop. Put it all away and I'm on the Kn******* bench. To think I used to do that AFTER a full day at work!! Retirement and lockdown have certainly destroyed my stamina!

I bought a shirt for OH's birthday, (because none of the summer shirts we bought together last year will button up over his rapidly expanding belly!) but now I'm wondering if I should just give it to him in case he doesn't like it and it needs to be returned. I'm trying to persuade him to wear polo shirts or something with a bit of elasticity, but he insists on having a top pocket to keep his phone in. Gaping buttons exposing hairy flab is not a good look. Need to sort that out before we're out in public again! 

I was remarkably restrained and managed to resist too many treats, although a did buy a 4-pack of luxury hot cross buns AND a 6-pack of "Be good to yourself" ones, even though we've still got a big dish of bread and butter pudding to finish. Hmmm. That's not going to help the aforementioned expanding belly situation? Or mine either. Freezer is rammed so I can't put any away in there. 

Lovely and warm and sunny here. Sitting in the garden with my mugatea and a bun whilst the CBA ready meal shopping  treat fish pie cooks itself in the oven. Bliss. Or it would be if the sunshine and easing of lockdown restrictions hadn't prompted our noisy neighbours (at the end of our garden) to play loud music in their garden. Here we go again. I've not missed that. 😖

katytc

Made it out and missed the rain woo hoo! Just so happened that chippie had opened, feel as though this has happened before, so couldn't really avoid............bad moi.

Also lots of sweet things fell into my chariot along with a restock of choc gingers.

Feel as though I wont be able to fit into any of my clothes soon haha. 

Purchased some nice things well before first lockdown and they are still hanging unworn in wardrobe.

Had some little visitors, ants arrrrrgh, around 10 dotted around so have purchased stuff to get rid of them, fingers crossed it works, am not sure how they are getting in, yuck yuck!

6 days now till hair, woo hoo.

Forgot to say hope wool is a good match, how long do you think it will take to do?

Lovely than it can be kept forever.

Finally am reading a good fiction book have had so many just blah ones over the last few months. Find I get really bored with storylines.

Really windy here, a little grey but not cold. xx

katytc

Hope things are picking up for you Jane, oh no an infection.....fingers crossed meds are working and you feel much better.

LND?? which one? and where? hahaha

Thank you for dinner and coffee cake, have a muggatea at the ready, slurpy slurp, yum yum.

Oh my gosh the staining was soooooooooo easy, had plastic down, cloths etc at the ready, no need, no splashes, nothing. Therefore if you have anything to stain go for it, haha.

I had a veneer unit which I didn't like but didn't really want to throw out because it had lots drawer space, I painted it difference was amazing, you can buy paint that can go straight on to veneer so no sanding etc, maybe worth a thought JCJ., was also easy to do but I'm super messy with paint........splashes on floor hair, hands, clothes etc I don't know how I manage it...........

Quick nip into town, just two shops so will be home quickly, rain is forecast but cannot move from my spot on the CBA bench, ah well xx

JCJ

Coffee cake with mocha butter icing in shed. Although I shouldn't say it myself, it is fabulous. One of my best. Half of it was supposed to be going into the freezer.... but that's not happening! *goes to further reinforce the FB bench*.

I hope the painkillers and antibionics are making you feel better, GIJ. Napping sounds like an excellent strategy! Zzzzzzz

If your eyes have stopped itching and are looking less red, it sounds like the treatment is working, KTC, let's hope they continue to improve.

Staining the furniture! I'm not sure I could be that brave: our dining table is badly chipped around the edge (cheap veneer) and I keep wondering how to make it look less cr**. A tablecloth is not an option the way OH slings his food about!!

The lady next door (LND) rang the other day to say she was having garden furniture delivered and could I help her put it away in her shed as it would be too heavy for her to manage. Of course. No problem. I listened out for the delivery man and heard LND say "It's OK, the lady next door will help me move it." That was weird. I'M not "the lady next door", SHE is!! 🤔😛

Run out of wool less than half-way through knitting the pockets for the advent calendar. The pattern grossly underestimated how much it required. I discovered that the wool shop is open, by appointment via Facebook, so I went onto my FB account - for the first time in years - to request an appointment and see if she'd got any more of the same green wool. Appointment duly made but then I got a message to say that colour is sold out. Oh no! I've ordered some more online, but it's had to be a different dye lot number (like wallpaper, batches colour may vary so you need to stick to the same number). I hope it's not obviously different or I'll at least have to unravel and re-knit the pocket that's half done! Intensely annoying but "1st world problems"?!! I shall have to wait now to knit the remaining 12 1/2 pockets, so I shall start on the ornaments.

Chicken dinner tomorrow. Don't know what pudding will be; I'll see what I can BA to make! 

GIJaneH

Helloooooo.  I'm over here on the Kn..k...d bench (waves weakly).... 

I am in a fair amount of pain from the procedure - popping proprietary pain killers...  and on top of that, I appear to have a UTI.  Someone  phoned from the chemo suite, with my blood results and was asking about side effects etc.  I mentioned something "odd".  Bring in a sample when you come for your injections tomorrow, I was told.  On antibiotics now, so hoping to feel better soon.  I've just had a long nap.  

I really like my lockdown curls.  I had straight hair before chemo.  It came back curly/wavy and I spent 9 years trying to get it to look like it did before (failed).  I embraced the curl finally, but kept it really short, as before.  Now it's down to the bottom of my ears, and I have worked out what products to use to keep it looking OK, and I am getting lots of compliments.  It looks thicker too (optical illusion after estrogen-suppressing drugs for 10years!)  Still, I'll be happy to have it coloured again (moi? colour?) and to have it tidied up.

Is there anything to go with the cuppa?  (not tried the Bara Brith yet)

katytc

Am still not receiving notifications arrrrgh despite ticking all boxes...............

Glad your fitting went kinda well Jane at least you didn't have to go back for blood, hurrah!

Did you mow JCJ??

Also forgot about the very funny carols, hee hee.

Did a huge tidy up yesterday, a little bit of touch up painting, wiping all the little fingerprints from windows tv's etc. Also made my small coffee table pretty again, children have been drawing (missing the paper) etc so it was looking very tatty. Do not want to buy a new one when they are so little so had a brain storm and purchased wood stain, thought it would take me ages but actually less than 10 mins. It is now transformed, woo hoo, well pleased.

Very grey day here, think rain is forecast, don't have to go out now until next week for some shopping again so weather can do what it wants.

11 days till hair is cut, who says I'm counting??

ED says she really likes it, what's wrong with her?? 

Have been doing the blep stuff for over 3 weeks now and itching has gone, redness not as bad but it's not gone so will need to contact doctor, so can't be bothered............

Will be sitting on the "CBA" bench all day, have cooked sausages and have lovely bread sooooooooo you are more than welcome. Never tasted bara before is there any left? xx

JCJ

I have DMed you the bara brith recipe, GIJ.

It was very helpful of the BC nurse to save you another trip today. Now you can rest and recover. Gentle (Covid-safe! 😁) hugs. xx

I did quite a lot yesterday, by lockdown retirement standards anyway, but the CBA bench has got me again this morning. If it stays dry, I'll run (yeh, likely story... Me? Run??!) the mower over the "lawns" this afternoon (*does a sneaky rain dance*). 

GIJaneH

oh thank you for making me laugh!!!!  I'd forgotten those carols!

Bara brith sounds good - the recipes I've seen don't have marmalade in, but that would make it for me!  We make our own....

Thanks for topping up the supplies by the Pamper Bench - much appreciated.  The procedure went well, and I was looked after by a Snr Sister I know and have worked with, which was lovely.  Very sore today, but they did shove and push rather a lot, so that's to be expected!  One of my cancer treatment drugs causes increased bruising, so I could be a picture!  taking it gently today....  I was due to have a blood test today, but the lovely BC nurse suggested Radiology could do that for me.  Fortunately, her colleague had given me a print off of the request, so it was all done in one visit, which is great.  

If you need me, I'll be on the TLC Bench...

hope you're doing OK...  Jane

JCJ

The sunshine was intermittent but at least it wasn't too cold to wander from bench to bench. We enjoyed getting slightly further afield (about 10 miles rather than <2); the car battery appreciated the longer drive and the bara brith and tea, in the car, afterwards, enjoying the view of the park were lovely. We've been to this park a lot, but not since before Lockdown 3. OH said he really enjoyed it. 

My mum was Welsh too! I always make Welsh cakes at Christmas, and maybe a few other times. Love them - though bought ones are often extremely disappointing! Bara brith is a fruit bread made with mixed dried fruit, brown sugar (soaked together overnight in warm tea), SR flour, egg and marmalade, but no fat. Delicious. I make it a lot. It was my "go to" cake (without the butter spread on it) when I had the gallstone and couldn't eat fat.

The drive in Carol concert sounds amazing. You should have let us know we could have brought the Benchland silent choir along to sing our infamous Benchland carols! 😛 Maybe we could even have put on one our amazing performances! It's years since I've belted out "O Holey Tights", "Onward Benchland Soldiers", "We Three Queens of Benchland" or "Sleepless Night". 😂

I hope the port goes in OK: These things are usually nothing like as bad as we anticipate?! 🤞🏼

The pamper bench is all ready for you; I've stocked up the snacks and beverages stash so you can spoil yourself this afternoon. Take care x

GIJaneH

Hope the walk was good and the sunshine lasted!

The roast lamb was delicious - tart too...  I'm putting on weight....  My mam was Welsh, so I heard about Barra Brith, but she made Welsh cakes and not that... Nice?

Hope you enjoyed your car picninc.  I organised a drive in carol service up at our local stately home, which was amazing, and meant people could sit in their cars and sing  carols (when we couldn't sing in church or anything).  Have about 100 cars and approx 300 people.  Deer were in the field behind us, star lit night... everyone said it was memorable..

Off to get the port fitted at lunchtime.  My head knows it'll be fine.  The rest of me isn't looking forward to it!!!

I shall need the pamper bench afterwards...

JCJ

Roast lamb dinner will be in the shed later. Followed, I hope, by Tarte tatin. My first attempt at making caramel but I used shop bought puff pastry for the top(bottom) I'll put it in the oven later. 🤞🏻it's edible.

Lamb is in oven with roasties and the timer is set: we're off out for a "walk" (painfully slow dawdle) somewhere while it's sunny (cue rain!) We're being naughty and taking a flask, tea makings  and slices of buttered barra brith. I know there's a "no picnics" rule so we've not taken refreshments with us for aaaaages, but we've missed it.... and what harm is there when we'll be by ourselves in our own car!!

katytc

Happy birthday JCJ's grandbaby, 2 can you believe it??? Thank goodness for zoom..........

Have GS for an extra day, Mum is at home, boiler is fixed but stuff to organise so easier if he is here, coming tomorrow to pick him up. They were here much longer than planned so it's a bonus. Am very lucky all GC are close.

Lovely sunny days here too, just fab.

Back is fine but obviously with chariot I can sit down, too long standing doesn't appear to be good nowadays, mmmmm.

Am joining you on the CBA bench, muggatea and 2 choc gingers each, slurpy yum!

Enjoy time with your son, Jane.

And something to look forward to, your swims, plan your next voyage.

Hope there is something super tasty in shed tonight, JCJ, hint hint xx

GIJaneH

Our GD is 4-5 hrs away too, it's hard isn't it?  Roll on May, if people haven't been too stupid by then and we're back in another lockdown like Europe.... we seem to be a few weeks behind them all the time.  Our son is coming by himself to see me over Easter.  Taking the train down.  His mental health is fragile, and I think he really needs to see his mummy after this new diagnosis...  He'll get a rest too, which will be great for him.  I'm looking forward to seeing him more than a little bit.  His daughter would have been a bonus, but I'll take what I can get.  

Another ballet tonight.... and I've bought tickets for a couple of concerts from the Albert Hall in the next few weeks. Whilst it's "not quite the same", I do like the journey home!!!!

We have no frogs!  The garden is bursting into life, but it seems the newts eat the frogspawn.  We have newts...  Lovely sunny day today...  still, move up on the CBA bench... I'll join you..

Hope you're having a good weekend xx

JCJ

I hope your back is better, KTC. No more galavanting about with the double buggy!

The garden is starting to look pretty with all the daffodils and the frogs are busy spawning in our pond. Spring equinox is upon us and next week we'll be putting the clocks forward so we'll have lighter evenings. Hurrah! 

Also hurrah that I've had an email from the swimming pool which is reopening on 12th April with booking opening on 5th. That will give us something to do at last - and a chance for me to get rid of OH for an hour or so!

GD's 2nd birthday today. She's currently in the park where they're "accidentally" going to meet up with DIL's best friend and her daughter who is 5 today. DIL was there when she was born and is her godmother.

We're planning a zoom later so we can wish GD Happy Birthday and see her with her presents. Not quite being there in person like I'd hoped, but the best we can manage. Can't meet up with family in the garden, unless they are allowed to stay overnight, when they are a 4 hour drive away. 😕

CBA bench has a firm hold of me today!! 

katytc

Roast beef oooh yummy my favourite thank you JCJ, plus dessert and lemon cake, all my dreams come true haha.

Lovely that you could celebrate in style, different from the norm but amazing still.

Both GC here yesterday so YD and I went for a walk with them, laughed so much............but had major back issues later, grrrrrrrrrrr am going to just take my chariot next time had double buggy and it wasn't helpful for me at all, mmmmmmmmmm. The kids didn't want to go in it anyway. Could have cried late afternoon was so painful, but then again could be worse.

Have been helping YD get things organised and my brain is going to mush, so much to do..... but we are finally there. Couple of small phonecalls and it's done woo hoo!! 

Had a message from hairdresser, hair will be chopped on the 5th, can't wait to feel tidy again. hurrah!! So glad I texted her last week.

Sun is shining here, it's cold but doesn't matter. xx

JCJ

Don't worry, there were still some sleep fairies loitering around here so I managed a good night's sleep. Not having to get up at rude o'clock does help in that regard!

The lemon cake sounds amazing. Wish I could taste it - other than virtually!

I'm glad you had a lovely Mother's day. You are right: make the most of every day; something we should all do as none of us know what's waiting for us around the corner. Bit difficult at the moment tho?!

I miss-read "streamed from a the Royal Opera House" as "steamed from....." conjured up an image of wonderfully sweaty ballet dancers - or a particularly steamy/risqué ballet. Made me chuckle. 😁

So bored this week I've cleaned the car again (and left the engine running to charge the battery, while I was out there with it, so no muddy country roads this time!) and cleaned the kitchen drain (yuk!! 🤢) I've even hoovered (henried) 3 times in a week: unheard of! Today, I'm cooking triple cooked chips to go with the boxing day pie (in freezer since that day!) for dinner tonight. Such a faff. Can't usually BA, but it's not like I haven't got time! 🙄Made a bara brith yesterday. Yum slathered with butter. There's some in the shed. 

OH asked me if I'd go back to work (is it that obvious I'm regretting leaving?) Grrrrr. It's a bit late for that. I can't go back anyway: my job's not there anymore. 😒 I'm enjoying not having to get up early, and I don't miss the stress but I really miss being part of something and having other people to talk to. Roll on the end of the pandemic so I can find some voluntary work or something. There's a knit and natter group I might join when/if it restarts. 

The back of the advent calendar is made. It's huge! Not sure how I'm going to get it to them: tricky to post and I wouldn't want to take it on the train! Hopefully, they will be visiting between when I finally get it all done and 1st December. Number 1 pocket is done. 23 to go and 23 ornaments to knit or needle felt (already got a needle felted one ready).

Time to chill my chips..... not a euphemism! 😊

GIJaneH

Yes, it was lovely - the roast beef and the daughter!  We had been following the rules, but she came to take me to oncologist, which was allowed. After my "incurable" diagnosis, she felt it was important to keep coming to see me, which is lovely.  I think both kids and I had "will I be here for next year's Mothering Sunday" in the back of our minds.  Have to make the most of each day, so she brought champagne and we drank that whilst watching a ballet streamed from the Royal Opera House..

I've put some sticky lemon cake in the cupboard, that OH made yesterday.... lots of lemons, yoghurt, ground almonds... it's yummy.  Help yourself.  Daughter hates almonds, but loves this cake!

I took some Piriton and grabbed the sleep fairies last night.  Hope you didn't suffer!

Won't it be great to be able to see family again?  In a couple of weeks, we can chat in our gardens.... progress I guess!

ttfn  Pilates calls....

JCJ

Grrr. Where's that FF bench? Typed a long reply without noticing - until the last second - "authentication failed" message at the top and it's disappeared into the ether. Grrr

Roast beef dinner in shed along with ice cream cake (not arctic roll ‐ it's made with melted ice cream and SR flour. Not as delicious as it sounds. Made it weeks ago and put the last 2 slices in freezer) raspberries, raspberry sorbet, ice cream and choc syrup. Looks and tastes an amazing dessert but minimal effort because it was all in freezer (or a bottle).

I hope your lunch was yummy, Jane, and how lovely your daughter could be there with you.

You had your YD there too, Katy. I hope you had a good day ‐ and that they sort her heating out before too long! 

We had a Zoom chat with the girls. They have a count down chart to GD's 2nd birthday on Saturday. They've made little "party" bags to give to all her little playmates in the hope that, in return, they'll receive videos of the little ones playing with the enclosed bubbles and balloons (biodegradable, apparently!), planting the bee & butterfly-friendly seeds and eating the Bing birthday cake. What a lovely idea. She's had 2 lockdown birthdays in a row. Luckily, she's too little to be disappointed. Shouldn't be too long now before they can get together to celebrate properly.

I had a lovely card from the girls featuring 3 gorgeous photos of YD and GD: the best of which is them both asleep, in their garden, on a lounger and in her pushchair, respectively. Adorable.

I did think we'd be in Norwich for GD's birthday, what with not having to wait for school holidays any more, but hey ho; it could be worse: imagine if she'd been born this year!!

🤞🏻this posts!

katytc

Skipped over to pamper bench while you are lunching.............

Sounds good, fingers and toes crossed, so lovely daughter can be with you😀

YD will be with me for a while her heating and hot water not working arrrrrrrrrgh, too cold for that, brrrrrrrr, they thought it would be sorted this weekend but not to be. 

Have nothing interesting in the fridge and am entirely relying on you this evening JCJ, will be loitering around the shed in great anticipation haha.

Hope you are enjoying Mothers Day, well as best as you can in these times xx

GIJaneH

OOOH! The pamper bench is amazing!  Just what's needed!  We got a trip to NZ in before lockdown started last year, and the lake where we first stopped was the brightest turquoise... so that's the view from the pamper bench...  I've put some home made marmalade in the cupboard to go with the rolls....

Pleased the lido is behind you... hope you recover from the experience soon!

I have a date for the insertion of the port-o-cath... and my newts are OK... and my cough is reducing significantly.  I'm taking that as an indication that the treatment is working (as I have to wait till end May for another scan to find out)

The boys behaved fine again last night, thank goodness.  I suspect they picked up the stress levels the night before....  

My daughter came to take me to the oncologist appointment, and so she's decided that she feels OK about coming up tomorrow for Mothering Sunday.  We have ALL had our jabs, and she does Covid tests twice a week... looking forward to that.  Our local pub is doing take away Sunday lunches - got three booked!!!

Have a good weekend.  I'll try and leave the pamper bench free for you sometimes.. x

katytc

Can only echo JCJ and agree what a day................

Glad ECG was fine, the relief, whew! Think it does really depend on who draws blood, some are just brilliant and others, well...........

Hope you are having a better day/night.

Lido went well, slight issue with canula at first attempt, it was a new nurse and she warned me prior to, all seemed ok till she tried a flush and hand started to blow, stopped immediately and handed over to someone else, all sorted with their first attempt, hurrah. Was in a room on my own so fell asleep which appears to be really good because no bad headaches or nausea so was well pleased, hurrah!! 

Aaaah how lovely JCJ, your girls will need to frame the cards.

Been busy here, YD is down as she has a few appts here and sadly she had a funeral today. A friend from school, so sad.

GS was tired by late afternoon and was in a foul mood, grumpy boy, he went to bed a short while ago and was asleep in less than 2 minutes, hurrah.

Am going to bed soon too, have been really tired since lido this time sometimes like that sometimes not haha.

Hair is now a complete state, yuck roll on when hairdressers reopen, arrrrgh!

Spoiled ourselves tonight and ordered a takeaway so no chippie needed, leftovers in the shed along with more choc gingers, yum, yum xx

JCJ

Good grief, Jane, what a day! No wonder you are feeling fragile! Must have been very scary having 111 ring YOU. Three cheers for the NHS! 

The massage bench is ready and waiting for you with the best masseur in the business. Next to it, I've dragged the pamper bench: it's got ultra soft cushions, a snuggly duvet, guaranteed uninterrupted (but non-carcinogenic) sunlight, calming views of the lake and trees and an endless supply of your  favourite beverages and tasty snacks (non fattening, of course.) There is a dog walker hovering to relieve you of your beasts for a loooong walk if they cease to be a comfort and become a pain.

I hope your lido went OK and it's doing its stuff, Katy. Any more of those delicious chocolate ginger biscuits? I've put some hot homemade rolls in the shed. 

GD came back from nursery on Wednesday - she only goes Mon and Wed - with TWO mother's day cards! They were card teapot shapes that, when opened, revealed GD's "signature" and a herbal tea bag sachet. YD and DIL were both very touched. How lovely that nursery thought to do that. 😊

GIJaneH

I'll leave the choice of masseur up to you!  as long as they're good....

I am just a pin cushion!

I went to have the pleural effusion drained yesterday morning, and had hoped that would ease my breathlessness.  A very "to the point" consultant said they would take enough fluid for a biopsy.  I said I hoped she'd take as much as possible... "This procedure will not help your breathlessness.  I'm only doing a biopsy"  Rats!  In the event, it was too "sticky" to get anything out anyway.  So, a disappointed me went down to the MacMillan centre to have bloods taken (traumatic as I've no veins left after chemo).  Eventually 2nd person got some.  Then I had injections in both buttocks.   I felt a bit fragile after all that.

We were just settling down to sleep last night when the phone went.  It as a GP from 111.  The labs had spotted that I had high potassium, and he was ringing to tell me to go to A&E to have the bloods redone and have an ECG.  Not in the morning, now.....  He did say the reading could be because there had been a tight tourniquet when taking blood (yep!), but as it can damage the heart, he wanted to be safe.  Off I toddled.  I showed them my ALERT card, and the triage nurse was wonderfully concerned.  He phoned and found a side room for me to wait in safely.  Nurses there managed to get blood first time and were so lovely, as was jnr dr (who made me a cup of tea!).  I had to wait a wee while for the results from the lab, but all good, so I came home.  The NHS at it's best I thought....

On the weary bench today, cause on top of all that the 2 dogs cried while I was out on and off, and then proceeded to howl/sing/bark every 30-45 minutes for the rest of the night!  I'm not talking to them this morning!!!

I've just had a call from radiology for a date to fit the port-o-cath...

maybe it's time to get dressed.....

JCJ

Ooh! Massage bench!! Who shall we have as masseurs/masseuses? What uniform? Stephen Mangan in a white lab coat would be my ideal. 😁

JCJ

Good luck with lido tomorrow, Katy (it's a pain-killing infusion "lidocaine" (sp?), GIJ, not an open air swimming pool - which I often imagine whenever it's mentioned: KTC in best Benchland finery, including tiara, swimming laps of an Al fresco pool 😂) I hope it's trouble free and effective with no ickiness.

I'm glad, this year, that I didn't decide to have my long hair chopped off when it became grey - and that I don't get it coloured; I normally go months between hairdresser visits anyway so the restrictions have not affected me in the slightest. The tangly ends will need a trim, when salons reopen, but my favourite place has shut. Boo Hoo. I loathe hairdressing salons. It took me ages to find one I was comfortable with, that doesn't look at me condescendingly for being old and grey, charge the earth for a 5 minute job or try to persuade me to have a major makeover/unnecessary "products" or "a colour".  I'd do it myself only I'd need to be a contortionist!

Talking of hair colour, I had a shock, the other day, when I opened my new conditioner! It was a different version of my usual (bird associated with peace) brand - recommended for grey hair. I squirted a good splodge onto my hand, ready to apply to the bonce and was amazed to see it wasn't white, as expected, but very blue!! So I've joined the blue rinse brigade??! 😱

A woman in our village posted on Freecycle.org that she'd got a box of stuff suitable for a car boot sale that she didn't want to take to her new house (moving on Thursday) but was too good to bin and she  couldn't take it to a charity shop as they're closed at the moment. Seeing no-one had responded and not wanting it to go into landfill, I offered to collect it and keep it until the charity shops reopen. She put it out for me and I picked it up (just around the corner from our house!) at the weekend and I left it in the boot of the car for a couple of days to avoid any risk of infection. Anyway, today, I needed the boot space for the supermarket shop so I removed the booty from the boot and had a nose. There was some quite nice stuff in there (I was dreading having to palm off tat onto some poor charity shop... who would think it was mine!!) I helped myself to some Bluetooth earphones and a couple of interesting looking books. I felt guilty "stealing" these items but had to remind myself that I'm saving the WHOLE LOT from landfill!!

The gender swapped fairy tales sound like a brilliant idea. I've added the book to my wishlist (the private "shopping" one, not my shared one) to remind me to get it for GD when she's a bit older. I'm sure YD will approve: she grapples daily, as a senior software developer, being a lone woman in a male dominated profession (though WFH means she no longer has to listen to all the football talk!)

Sainsbury's (other.....) shop successfully negotiated with no steaming up of glasses - mask nose clip really works, yay! — or breakages thereof. That's another 3 weeks sorted. 

GIJaneH

Your lido?  New to me!  I'm looking forward to seeing a friend in the garden at the end of the month...   My hairdresser has me in for 12th April (very organised lady!)  Having come off the Letrazole, which caused "male balding pattern" (as the GP so kindly put it), I have little bits of new hair/fluff growing at the front!  SO hoping this treatment works and I don't end up on full-blown chemo again (which is one of the possible options)....  My hair was straight, but is now curly.  It's taken me most of the last ten years to stop trying to get it back to how it used to be (what felt "normal") and embrace the new normal... which I actually like now.  There's a lesson in there somewhere!

Thanks for the Ginger/Choc biscuits - much appreciated!

I've been told I can't have a massage at the moment, so can we have a massage bench?  Duly installed, with all the accessories/staff...  enjoy

katytc

Brilliant detective work indeed, you are right JCJ hahaha.

Car washing, book buying, card making and Bruno, everyone has been super busy.

Good luck with draining and hope it makes huge difference to you Jane.

Have my lido on Wed, woo hoo, will be glad..........

Been pretty quiet really, just faffing around.

Just saying to friend maybe May for our lunches?? Seems really long this lockdown......

Spoke to hairdresser and she said she will have me almost top of list, hair is ok apart from fringe which I am pinning back cause it's driving me mad.

Have found wonderful dark choc ginger biscuits (will leave in shed) supplies will be replenished today, hurrah xx

GIJaneH

You washed your car?????😱  Well done you!  Can we put a car wash beside the benches?  I've not washed mine in..... too long to say!!!  Mind you, I think I'm only on my 3rd tank of petrol since March last year!  Not been anywhere very much in it.

We just go into the garden and do half an hour... it's enough, with my breathing.  It's amazing what a difference just a short amount of time regularly can make. I hope!  I am going to have the pleural effusion drained on Thursday, and hopefully that will make breathing easier.

OH is just having fun printing off some of his (very good) photos on to special card/photo paper, so that we can send our own cards.  Fun might not be the right word, our elderly printer won't do useful things like save settings (or something like that!)

I just bought GD a book entitled "Gender swapped Fairytales" so that she can hear stories where the hero is a heroine, and the guy can be in touch with his feelings.  Hope she likes it! The Sleeping Prince.... etc...

Hope you're having a good weekend x

JCJ

I googled "children's clothes Z" and found what I assume KTC was referring to. I think there's a member of the royal family with the same name.

To subscribe click on the "options" tab above the pink "STOP feeling guilty......" heading and choose "subscribe".

No after effects of jab.... yet. Can't even see where the needle went in. I was very tired yesterday afternoon but I don't know if that was more due to two walks down to the village, and back, after 2 c**p nights.

Surprise package arrived this morning! Addressed to "Magic Nana"! It was a "Bruno the bear" mug! Impulse purchase by YD because we have a big teddy of that name who I made for OH, nearly 40 years ago, as he said he'd never had a teddybear. Bruno sits on our bed (or the floor when the bed is in use). ES & YD both liked to snuggle up with him when they were small. YD says it's targeted advertising proving that it works! (This is why I always turn it off, whenever possible.... or I'd be stony broke! 😛)

Cold here. I want to get in the garden and do some spring tidying but, every time I go outside, I think "maybe not today" and come back in and put the kettle on!

I actually washed and polished the car, for something to do, the other day. The next day, I had to take it for a run after my opticians visit, because the battery needed charging. Foolishly, I chose quiet country roads where the farmers have been busy in their sodden fields, spreading mud EVERYWHERE! My car is now dirtier than it's ever been and it's too cold out there to be wanting to wield a hosepipe! Hey ho.

1% for the nurses is appalling! Less than inflation. No pay increase at all would have been less of an insult. After all their hard work! Grrrr. I think we should shove a hefty tax on every company that has profited from the pandemic (just on the income over and above normal levels) (especially cronies of the government.... but that's never going to happen is it??!!) This will help pay the NHS staff what they deserve and help support all those people who've suffered financially.

Anyway, I'll get off the soap box bench and return to the CBA one.... via the kettle and coffee jar (need to test this mug) 😁

GIJaneH

We're all on the jabbed bench then!!!  I booked my 2nd appointment at the same time as 1st..  All the young people will have been done by today as well.  Two work for the NHS, so were done ages ago, son is flagged with MH issues (depression), so he's being done today.  The vaccination programme is amazing.  The 1% pay rise is an insult...

Couldn't agree more about girly clothes.  My d-i-l and I often buy GD boys clothes.... even young girls clothing is so sexualised.  Makes me mad..... and WHY do they not make women's jackets with decent pockets???  Inside pockets?

Z*** = ?

pleased the chippie was open!  Yes, it's always worth checking ourselves, and I had got very lax.  Found this BY ACCIDENT!  It's so high and off to one side I don't think I'd have found it during a routine check.  My hand happened to sit there when I was trying to catch a sleep fairy.  It's under where the bra strap meets the cup, if you see what I mean.

I'm afraid I have probably had all the sleep fairies for the last couple of nights - I'll send some over tonight..

I joined you on the CBA bench yesterday, and actually watched TV all afternoon - unheard of, but great...

have a good weekend.  Hopefully the sun will shine on our benches...

how do you subscribe?

katytc

Woo hoo!

Not so woo hoo if wrong arm, you may know soon as a huge red splodge appeared a few hours later.........

We receive a card which has your appt for 2nd dose, how good is that?

Holiday, what's that?

I love Z***, bought 2 coats for the two year olds which are brilliant, they do lots of unisex clothes so have a look next time you are searching. Don't like Daddy's princess etc either.

Gorgeous sunny day here, will be hanging around shed later chippie night, hurrah xx 

JCJ

Successfully jabbed. Walked there and back and I was home before I'd normally even be dressed! Clinic is right opposite chippy so I'll be down there again later. 10am was too early to get them.

OH had his about 3 weeks ago and was told 12 weeks to next one so it should be the first week in May. I panicked that 12 weeks from today would take us to the first week in June, when we're supposed to be in the Peak District: the postponed holiday from last Easter (and it looks like we'll be able to go. Fingers crossed.) but I checked the calendar and 12 weeks today is 28th May so hopefully..... 🤞🏼

I even remembered to make sure they stabbed my right arm. That would be just my luck: safe from Covid but get Lynn instead?!

Lovely delivery this morning: 3 tiny t-shirts one red, one yellow and one royal blue and a tiny pair of navy cotton trousers covered in silver butterflies. YD and DIL have been complaining about how hard it is to get toddler clothes that aren't either pink, frilly and impractical (no cover for shoulders, silly fabrics, itchy, lacy frilly bits) or with "Daddy's little princess" emblazoned across (wrong for GD on so many levels!) or blue with superheroes or soldiers. I found some plain, bright coloured t-shirts online (big river) and took the liberty of buying some - I've got her birthday as an excuse - and then I spotted the trousers and couldn't resist them. I've also ordered a couple of pairs of "boys'" jogging bottoms in navy and grey so they're practical and unisex. The older I get the more annoyed I'm becoming at how badly children - and even unborn babies! - are gender stereotyped. It's the 21st century. We should know better, but it's getting worse. Grrr. 

katytc

Have you now had jab JCJ?? When is your OH getting 2nd?

Thought you meant fat bottom hahaha. Laughed and laughed...........

Wow Jane really does make you think about checking must admit have been pretty lax lately not like first couple of years after diagnosis where I was checking to extreme. So glad you found the "pea" and fabulous that you have been seen so quickly. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you xx

Mmmm seem to have a thing for music just now it's really grating, what's that all about? Who knows? haha.

Have three sets of clothing, 1. tatty hanging around the house clothes, 2. tidy set and 3. pretty ones, tatty hanging around ones are winning..........

Am on the grrrrrrrrrrr bench near the dumb and dumber bench. Had to make a few calls for YD and have been given wrong information on three occasions from different places. Phoned CA and have been given correct information so know exactly what I have to ask for, honestly can't face speaking to anyone else so will pick up on matters on Mon.

Did manage to hoover, woo hoo!!!

And did nip to shops, went really late and guess what chippie was open by time I finished, an amazing coincidence or what??? xx

JCJ

I seem to be getting all the notifications now, but I do tick the "email me when someone replies" box as well as subscribing (reminder to self: must check the other thread I occasionally post on.)

The CBA bench is almost continually occupied. It's extremely comfy and the cushions have a permanent dent in the shape of my "not insubstantial" (to quote a doctor I once saw - referring to my weight affecting a sore foot! Rude! He was a worthy occupant of the FB bench himself... if he'd been allowed in here!) ar**. 

It was lucky you found that "pea", GIJ, and at least they've got cracking quickly on zapping all those nasty cells. I hope the treatments are effective and not too invasive. I must admit, I had an extra thorough grope this morning whilst in the shower! Trying really hard not to get paranoid about the long delay in routine mammogram.

Did you snag all the sleep fairies last night? I had a terrible night.... and, for once, I couldn't even blame it on eating inappropriately!! 

Love the idea of your night at the ballet! It's made me think I might get a virtual opera ticket for OH, for his birthday, at the end of April. Probably won't join him because I can't stand soprano voices (or "screeching cats" as I call them) at the best of times and he has to have the tele on so LOUD because he won't admit his hearing is going. Maybe I'll get one for his friend to watch from his house at the same time, as they can't go to the theatre together like they used to. There's a thought. 

I was reminded of a couple I heard about, on the radio, who were disappointed that their holiday was cancelled so they packed weekend bags, put them in the car, drove around the block, came back to their own house and stayed the weekend in the spare room (which they'd equipped with a TV, small, stocked, fridge, toaster and kettle) They used the family bathroom instead of their ensuite, ordered in takeaways, and locked their offices out of bounds. Brilliant! 

Successfully got rid of 2 items on Freecycle. Both collected yesterday and today (safely, with no contact) when the recipients said they'd come. Win. Win. If only it was always that simple!

GIJaneH

Yay to glasses and Yippee to getting dressed up!  I found myself putting "good" clothes on to go to the hospital - how sad is that?!?!?  Any excuse to change out of jeans and.....  I bought virtual tickets to the ballet at the weekend, and we both got dressed up for that - I even put make up on!  We pretended we were sitting in one of the "boxes" and even had ice cream at the interval!

I hope the jab goes well.  Sorry you were affected by it KTC.  I had no adverse reaction at all, not even a sore arm.  Hubby had a slight sore arm, but nothing else.

I found a small "pea" on the good boob, and rang the breast nurses, who booked me in to the  next available one-stop clinic (2 weeks)  From there they said it was almost certainly benign, but given my history had done a biopsy to be "ultra cautious".  The next week they told me it was malignant and I needed a CT scan.  The next week they told me I had secondaries in liver/lung/chest wall linikng and some nodes.  A week later I was seeing the oncologist!  So, very fast, and I'm hugely grateful to have found that small lump.  I think the disease progression is not too bad yet, so hopefully that's more hopeful ....  I have been breathless and coughing, but that wouldn't have been explored in the current climate!  If we'd had to wait for liver symptoms to show, I gather that's a different story, so I am very grateful/blessed.  Keep checking girls, though my pea was so high up and near the armpit that I don't think I'd have found it in a normal once over!  

Have a good day.  I've taken to ticking the "email me when someone replies" box before I start, in the hopes that will work, but it doesn't seem to.  I've signed up for the daily digest, which is the only way I know you ladies have been here.

How's the CBA bench doing?  

JCJ

Glasses fixed, fetched and fitted - free! I take back all my comments about breweries and arranging events therein!!

I even made an effort and put on some smart(er) clothes (got a wardrobe full of outfits that look professional enough for school but no cause to wear them any more!!) because I was sick of wearing jeans and fleeces ALL the time. Trousers a tad tight but, to be honest, I was surprised I could get them on at all after months of lockdown including the excesses of Christmas! (oops WAY to early! 🤫🙊)

Hurrah for the sleep fairies! I hope you've managed to make them stay around. Tether them?

Sorry you had a yucky weekend, KTC - but better that than actual Covid?!! — glad you feel better now. It looks like our village vaccination clinic is just on Fridays: maybe that's to give people the weekend to recover. Or it could just be the quietest surgery day as it seems to be the Drs doing the jabbing. Hehehe. 

GIJaneH

and on to the "Yippee" bench!!  So pleased you can have it done locally, it makes so much more sense.  Our regional vaccination hub is 3 miles away, so we're lucky!

I slept really well on the sleep bench last night.  The Piriton found loads of sleep fairies and they all did their bit...  so I'll join you on the Yippee Bench

I spent a little while on the "normal" bench yesterday (at least, I think that's what it was called)  I attended a webinar about Mental Health Awareness (for teachers, I'm a school governor).  It was good to focus on something other than myself for a little while!  Then I went and lay down!!!!

Very murky and foggy here today...  but enjoy it!

katytc

Hurrah for the new gold shower rooms, love them! And gold bidets?? Aren't we spoiled.

So glad you are not having side effects Jane, fingers crossed you will be able to sleep well soon, difficult when your mind is racing. Did you start to feel something wasn't right and did you contact doc etc?

Ooh blanket is lovely and advent calendar sounds brilliant!

Oooh vaccine for you too JCJ. Bet you are well pleased that you don't have to travel far now.  After phoning 500 times you will be jabbed on fri haha.

Had every common side effect listed so had a pretty yuck weekend and was in bed at 6 pm on Sat, def picking up now, woo hoo!

Said to YD that stuff from opticians seems to be really working after only a couple of days, she looked a little perplexed, think I was hallucinating?? Cause it's not any different, another unknown side effect or wishful thinking? The latter methinks..........

Urgent shopping required today but am in no real hurry still have to hoover this morning and do a quick tidy up, though at the moment am perched on the CBA bench luxuriating on the new cushions, so comfy! xx

PS am only being notified sometimes. xx 

JCJ

Hurrah! Sooooo glad I didn't book a vaccination at the back of beyond. Text from Dr's surgery this afternoon asking me to ring to book my jab! 😁 Fourteen attempts and then a half hour wait in a queue of 9 on the phone later and it's booked for Friday at 10am. I'm off the moaning Minnie bench!! 😛

JCJ

Yay! I got a notification email this time.

I am knitting the advent calendar. (Of course 😊) I found the pattern on line and bought the printed version. It has numbered pockets with 24 little, knitted, Christmas tree ornaments that can be taken out and hung on the tree. GD will love it because she'll be nearly 3 by next Christmas, as will YD and DIL: both just big kids at heart. I'm hoping it will become one of their family Christmas traditions. I've already made a little needle felt (newly discovered crafting obsession) tree with GD's name on it for pocket 24. May make others with "Mummy" and "Mama" on, respectively: Depends how much I like - or otherwise - the suggested ornaments.

Glad you've got away with no diarrhea. (Hope that's not tempting fate!!) That's definitely a bonus! I hope the Piriton summons the sleep fairies for you. 

NHS letter came for me today! Yay! Which one of the eagerly awaited appointment invitations?! It was for Covid vaccination. Hurrah! I have to book into a vaccination centre - unlike OH's letter this one doesn't say "or wait for your GP to contact you". BOOO! I looked at the website and the nearest centre is "12.5 miles" (as the crow flies) away: a chemist on a busy road near a big city! The next option is a football ground in same city! 😱🤬 I loathe and detest city driving at the best of times but after over a year of staying local and not venturing anywhere new -  and months of not risking contact with people from other areas, I'm a blithering wreck at the very thought. Apparently, there's a bus stop outside. Great! I'll get on a bus (several) BEFORE my vaccine! Madness! No wonder the "uptake has been disappointing"! I was happily visualising a gentle stroll down to the Dr's surgery in the village, where OH and all our neighbours had theirs, staying safely away from strangers. I'm going to give it a week and see if I hear from Dr's - or a more convenient centre opens (after all, if they're using chemist's, there are 100s between here and that one!!) before booking. 

GIJaneH

The blanket looks lovely!  How are you making the advent calendar??

Yes, the loos are great, aren't they?  I am having bidets fitted to the shower rooms.

So far, I haven't needed either - no diarrhea at all, which is brilliant.  Nurse seems to think I won't get any now, so that's amazing.  I feel a bit tired, but it's hard to know if that's drugs or lack of sleep!

The weather over the weekend was lovely, we had lunch outside, and did some pottering in the garden, which is good for the soul.  Decades ago, when I was a young wife setting up home, our neighbour told me she had cut the edges of her lawn with scissors.  I kindly offered our long handled shear things.  She scathingly told me "We have one of those.  Scissors make a better job".  I always thought the weeds grew in my garden cause they didn't dare show themselves in hers!!

Hope glasses appt goes well tomorrow, and nothing else clashes..

Off to get some Piriton (not Piriteze), which BCN advised for the sleep bench...

JCJ

Oh! I stopped getting notifications too! Didn't realise anyone had replied! I've turned "subscribe" back on so 🤞🏼

Nope. Still not got my glasses back but I have phoned the opticians (should've gone there? 😛 - Not without an appointment at the moment!) They are fixed and I have an appointment to get them fitted properly on Wednesday afternoon.

Blepharitis! Had to look that up! Sounds painful but at least it seems to be easily treatable. I hope it's improving. Did your vaccination go OK? No SEs, I hope. Still waiting for mine.... what's the betting I get asked to go Wednesday afternoon? Just like the buses: you wait for ages then they all come at once?! Still not had mammo letter either.

Has your stomach settled down yet, GIJ, or is the diarrhoea a lasting SE? I love the gold plated, padded portaloos you've installed in Benchland. Very posh. The showers were an excellent addition too. Back on the hospital appointments conveyor belt, eh, must seem even more of a whirlwind after months of lockdown!

We've not been anywhere for days, although it was nice and sunny over the weekend and I soaked up some rays in the garden. Had my coffee out there on Friday morning. Bliss. Also managed to get the "lawns" cut - the front one was so long, and a bit damp, that the mower really struggled. I could have done a neater job if I'd got down on my hands and knees and chewed it! Ah well, it's done and next time it will be easier.

The blanket is finished. I love it even though it is a bit wonky. Started on the advent calendar for GD. 

20210227_211918.jpg

20210227_211605.jpg

GIJaneH

Thanks Ladies

The sun is so needed isn't it?  It is actually sunny here today, and we have been out for a short walk with the dogs.  I started treatment Abemaciclib or something yesterday, and one of the side effects is diarrhea, so we had a swift walk and I had tissues and a poo bag in my pocket! (used to be a girl guide!)  So, I need to put some luxury loos up ....  Having had an injection in both buttocks, I'm appreciating the cushions on some of the benches!

Onc was very helpful about the neuroses - if it's just a day or two, don't worry about it, we all have twinges and are getting older.  If it's consistent for a week or more - tell us.  I had asked him to be honest and not use euphemisms, and he complied.  His statistics were shocking really... it's taken me days to begin to get my head round, and poor OH is really struggling.  However, everyone  reacts differently to the treatments, and when this one stops working, there are others...  I have a series of appointments now, as one does....  Injections, bloods, injections,  respiratory clinic to see if they can drain the fluid in the lung, covid test, injections, more meds..  you know how it goes.....

How about the glasses?  The blepharitis? ****indeed!

big knitting needles are good!

How are the glasses doing?

katytc

It's always sunny in Benchland😁

Lovely you have seen daughter that's a bonus indeed. Even better she has knowledge too and will be a great help to you.

Good you are not feeling so neurotic now but so very, very understandable, everything is the C word, graze on knee, sore earlobe, etc etc.........

Do you have your glasses back now JCJ?

Do have big needles, knitted the cover for a blanket box which turned out pretty nicely and no sewing involved at all haha.

Was diagnosed yesterday with blepharitis (sometimes accompanies the skin condition I have) a little annoying but hopefully stuff will work and it won't look as though I have been crying for days, argh!

Have had a really c***** day, everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, all little things, BUT they add up, grrrrrrrrrrr.

Get vaccine tomorrow xx

JCJ

All benches are on turntables so you can turn them to face the sun - or spin round like a mad thing if you so wish. 

Glad you got to see your daughter and that she is qualified to help you understand your results!

I can fully empathise with the neuroses: I've spent the last few days, since hearing of *your* dx, catastrophising about *my* little aches and pains. The hip problem I get intermittently, especially at the moment because I can't go swimming so I'm walking more, is obviously no longer just wear and tear (and I've ALWAYS had joint problems!) but, of course it's secondaries. And that Tamoxifen/gall stone removal wind is now liver mets - even though that was thoroughly investigated and found not to be. So I hate to imagine what I'd be like in your position! Hugs. Virtual, Covid-safe ones, obviously. 

Still not heard about glasses. Still just about managing with the old ones. He said it would be "Wednesday or Thursday" so if I don't hear tomorrow, I'll give them a ring. I'm a bit concerned that he didn't label them or anything, while I was in the shop, so they might not even know who to return them to!! 😕

Started assembling the blanket. I stopped knitting at 66 squares. 12 so far sewn together. I've a LOT more sewing to do. Then I'll attempt to crochet a border all around it. 

Ooh. That reminds me, Katy, I meant to say to you that you might find knitting with bigger (as in fatter, not longer! 😛) needles and chunky wool less painful. Bing and Flop were knitted on size 11 needles, so quite a bit smaller than the 8s I usually use, and I my hands didn't appreciate it! I've heard others say that knitting with chunky needles is less painful. Just a thought. 

Love the Fbucket list! 😂 Trouble is, retirement in Lockdown has meant that nearly everything has gone on that list - it's attached to the CBA bench!  😊

GIJaneH

I wondered what the gale was!  Lavender and roses etc sounds a fantastic addition.  The Flutterbies will like them too...

I sneaked into the Second(ary) wood, but not spoken to anyone yet....

hope the glasses were OK.  Flop looks great!  

I'm feeling less neurotic today.  Yesterday I thought my breathing was worse... there's a lump on my elbow I'm sure wasn't there before and so on.  Today, the elbow looks normal, and I walked the dogs AND did an hour's Pilates!  Can't be bad..

Advice from a good friend yesterday was to create a "f-it" list (or chuck-it list if you wish to be polite)... sounds good to me.  First thing on it was a Governor Training Course 1.5 hours after my appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday!  Cancelled!

The good thing in the middle of all this was that my daughter came up to take me to  the appointment last week, and as she's a respiratory physio team lead, she knows about lungs. Evidently it's legal in lockdown. More importantly, we haven't seen her since September, so it was just brilliant to see her again. She's coming back this week, and I hope onc will let her read the CT scan... it'll help her... (I hope)

Which bench faces the sunshine?  It's in short supply round here, so could do with some!