67416members
355052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Highlighted

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Yes, we need trolley dollies!!!!

Ggrumpy

Highlighted

Lovely meal, choc cake, pasta, rasps and icecream in the shed xx

Highlighted

Yep JCJ, sounds perfectSmiley Happy!!

Am thinking air hostess..............going to wear a royal blue lurex (am fond of the lurex stuff), a catsuit nonetheless..............and as an added feature will wear my kniited green pants an outing for them before JCJ's daughter's wedding.

Will be taking orders for food, goodies etc sooooooooooo am bringing 5000 post its, just slap one on my suit as I pass, please, trolley at the ready..........

Gosh have to learn all that stuff that no one listens to better start now!

Rowdy passengers will be removed before take off and no singing allowed, thank you.

Am off shortly for GS's birthday tea, will bring back cake and anything else I can find xx

Highlighted

Camels attempting to walk the wrong way along the travellator(? moving no-stairs escalator type thing) with consequent chaos.

Batty woman who can't find her passport in DOZENS of carry on bags, coat pockets etc. She is wearing walking boots (or purple flashing light DMs?), several fleeces (in various shades if purple) and an enormous coat to reduce the weight of her luggage. She is hot and flustered, swearing like a trooper, sweating in an unladylike fashion and shouting at anyone who's within earshot (so the whole airport!) Finds passport but in the process loses boarding pass so the whole performance starts again. Repeat as necessary with purse/keys/phone etc.

Mmmm. I think that might be me?

Further scene, (one that actually happened to me and YD!) Have to take boots off for security scan, and belt. Through scanner. Have to hobble holding up jeans and clasping all bags and boots to find a place to stop and put boots and belt back on without being rearended by surging sea of  passengers behind. It's very difficult to lace up walking boots in a hurry whilst trying to hold passport, boarding pass and all the metal items that have to go through the scanner on their own, especially whilst trying not to be barged into! 🙂

Highlighted

Act I:

Set in the main airport entrance where people arrive in taxis etc.

Cue screaming matches, luggage crises, forgotten passports, lost keys and of course 'Did I turn off the oven?'

Smuggling of companion animals and/or indecent amounts of cash, and travellers squiffy due to unwise combination of travel sickness pills and glitterberry juice will all have to be sorted out by some NASTY airport staff.

You now have to decide on your character......and your costume.

Did I really say that - visions of camels in leggings and crop tops will keep me awake tonight!!!

Grumpy aka The Dame Director usually known as She Who Must be Obeyed - if she can remember the plot.

Highlighted

OKaaaaaay...heaven knows what I expected, but I wasn't disappointed 🙂  Has benchmadness all over it 😉  I reckon spinning on her head is rather useful in FF's line of work.  Bit like eyes in the back of the head and extra arms when you have kids...

Highlighted

Tat, ferret Dance - look out for FF, she's the one who does the amazing aerial displays!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S3xAeTmsJfg 

Still makes me laugh every time I see it! Smiley LOL

Highlighted

tat, FF is infamous for her dancing, she has achieved many spectacular feats, main one being spinning continuously on her head, it is a sight indeed to behold!!! You have never seen anything like it, last attempt was spinning on her head and juggling stuff with her feet simultaneously...........WOWEE or what???

FF, exactly my thinking, beginning, middle or end, fabulous hahaha!!! xx

Highlighted

Dance? Pray tell...

Highlighted

The dance is absolutely crucial.  Possibly at the start of proceedings, or in the middle or at the end??  I am practising right now.  

Ooooooh, upside down................

Highlighted

hahahahahaSmiley LOL!!

Can we please somewhere/someplace, incorporate your dance FF?? 

Jumping on the "grrrrrrrrrrr" bench, tumble drier not working xx

Highlighted

I do believe this role was written for me!!!!!

Highlighted

*riding*an inflatable camel?

Highlighted

And flip flops, and a flowery garland round neck, loud shirt, sombrero, carrying a camel..............xx

Highlighted

There's got to be somebody in the pantosrtavaganza that is inappropriately dressed for the climate and has drank WAY too much complimentary glitterberry juice whilst waiting for a delayed flight to somewhere hot. I think she should be called Squiffy in Shorts. 😄

Highlighted

On the Snorting with Laughter bench at the possibilities for an airport themed pantostravagnaza, mentally reliving some of the gems from the movie Airplane!  

Highlighted

Up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon, da da da dada................

Outstandingly pretty air hostess? Superly, strict custom control person? Moany passenger? Screaming kiddiwinkles? Lazy person who wraps the cling filmy stuff around luggage? 

Ideas are endless.................hahaha!

Golly gosh all that food sounds yummy and choc chip cookies???

Nope, snow did not lie, but it's brrrrrrrrrrrrrr here xx

Highlighted

Inspiration for the Summer Pantostravaganza has struck!!!! 

Setting will be airport departures terminal.....Meg will wear her tiara and pearls to staff the VIP desk, Joey  wants to be outside with paddles to steer aircraft in and out (SCAREY!!!) But I'm trying to persuade him that looking after luggage trolleys is a VERY important job. The camels want to audition as pilots WHO TOLD THE CAMELS?

I now need offers for characters and storylines........

Grumpy

Highlighted

We've just got back from a sunny but COLD walk around a nearby waterskiing lake and neighbouring wildlife park. I am so impressed with myself because I managed to set the oven timer to come on in time to cook the lamb shanks for dinner! We got back to the delicious smell of them cooking! 🙂

YD has just made us a pineapple upside down cake and that's gone in the other oven. Just cooking some cabbage, peas and mash and we'll have a yummy meal very soon!

YD just had message from OH - she says it's snowing in Norwich!!

Highlighted

'Waterground', that's the one, KTC 🙂  You can get it cheaper online from that South American river site if she discovers a love for oven cleaning 😉  Have you got snow?  Right, shove up, just arrived at the CBA bench via a bit of cookie baking.  Choc chip and double choc chip varieties, both 'tested' and approved by my long suffering daughter 🙂

Highlighted

Also think flowers are fine but small hamper full of goodies is a great ideaSmiley Happy!

haha tat, oven cleaning indeed!!! ED saw a cleaner in a waterground?? store think she is going with that.....She would rather someone else did it but needs to watch her pennies with removal and finishing off costs.

Both grandchildrens' birthdays next week, we are going for a meal, low key this year, mr will be one and GD nine can't believe it???

Would like a tv corner unit and found somewhere that makes them from reclaimed wood,  so will match console and coffee tables, very reasonably priced, maybe next month?? and found a artificial plant thingy that will just finish everything off nicely but will have to wait because of new tv and chariot, grrrr!!! Patience is not a virtue of mineSmiley Wink!

It's sooooooo cold today, beautiful sunshine but bitter, the kind of weather that brings tears to your eyes!!

Wait, what's that noise?? The "CBA" bench is calling me AGAIN xx

Highlighted

Or a small hamper?  Some wine and goodies?

Popped out to the Library this morning, goodness me I didn't realise it was so cold.  Got home as fast as possible and am now hibernating.

Highlighted

Oh dear - just looked at my post and the longest part is about oven cleaning.  I'm off to get a life.  I may be some time..... 😉

Highlighted

Been on the CBA bench since finishing chores this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the guilty pleasure (can we use the G word in that context?) of an afternoon nap 🙂  

I'm so pleased your daughter's flat is secured, KTC.  Re oven cleaning, I use Oven Mate (other...) - it's a gel so you don't need full breathing apparatus to get through cleaning the oven!  Paint it on, leave it overnight and all the gunk just wipes off.  It is a bit of a faff doing the roof of the oven around the heating/grill element, but I do my best with the oven cleaner, then heat an ovenproof dish of water to steam clean the rest.  Those heavy duty silicone sheets are great for the bottom of the oven - they catch all the crud and grease and simply need washing in hot soapy water to clean (cheap ones available from that budget supermarket that starts with an A). 

Hope you have a restful half term, JCJ, and enjoy time with your daughter.  Good news about your son's house purchase, it's so hard for anyone to get on the property ladder now with all the extra hurdles to get a mortgage.  I agree with grumpy that cala lillies are a good option for a bloke - very 'architectural' in their appearance.  Another alternative is a plant/shrub/tree for the garden?  He might also appreciate the distraction of a bit of digging/gardening on what's bound to be a difficult day.  

Hope everyone with a half term cold recovers quickly xx

Highlighted

JCJ of course you can send flowers to a bloke....tell the florist that it's for a chap and have lots of 'structural foliage' in it, with just a few blooms. Those arum type thingies are good for blokes. I am sure it will be much appreciated, especially if it's all tied up securely in a water bag so it doesn't need a vase. Bless you for being so thoughtful.

Much love

Grumpy

Highlighted

Ladies. Your advice please. Completely unrelated to BC. Is it appropriate to send flowers to a man? My B-I-L's birthday is the day after the funeral! I can't possibly send him a "Happy Birthday" card. I thought a nice simple arrangement/pot plant delivered to his house? Any other ideas? 

On Monday, M was fretting that she couldn't get out to get him a valentine card, or birthday card, without him knowing as he had to drive her everywhere. She mentioned an online card service (lunar pork) I hope she never got round to ordering!! 😞

Highlighted

Yum, yum, slurpy, slurp, thank you JCJ, have added assorted pastries for muggatea/choc/coffee later.!:

Great daughter is coming, she will make you smile and take your mind off things, fab news about son's house!! hurrah!

FF, glad you are a little better, there are so many bugs doing the rounds at the moment.........not good.

ED was thinking about having cooker done so will pass on news about costs, am not sure if it's worth it or not??? Positives, no sitting on floor scrubbing, ie no hard work haha versus cost? mmmmm think the latter winsSmiley Happy!!

Itching has calmed down hugely and no more bruising since stopping tabs, aren't side effects weird???

Thinking 2016 has not started well at all, aaah well things can only get betterSmiley Wink!

Sleet here at the moment, sooooooo grey.

Have my new tv now though I can't figure out how to get freeview?? Don't need it but tried tuning etc and there is no signal, ariel connection goes into a box that belongs where the sun is? Is that what's wrong? 

Oh my snowing heavily now, glad am cosy and warm, "CBA" bench is beckoning xx

Highlighted

Well I've made it to half term! For obvious reasons, don't feel as joyous as usual facing 9 no get ups, but looking forward to the break.

YD coming tomorrow for the weekend, :). I said she needn't come all this way when the funeral is in 2 weeks and she'll be coming over again for that, but she wants to see us.

Other good news to brighten a grim week: ES has, at last, managed to buy his flat (oops! Sorry! "House" - it's a detached coach house ie a flat above 4 garages, only 1 of which belongs to him!) He was at the point of buying it last August, having spent nearly 2 years saving for the mortgage, and watching the property increase in value by more than we paid for our house, during that time!! 😞 Then he left his job, so he's had to wait three months after securing another job before he could get a mortgage. 

Sorry you've been under the weather again, FF (what a ridiculous phrase that is?? Makes it sound like you've been standing out in the rain?) You do seem to be getting all the bugs lately? I've got a cough developing at the moment too.

Good luck with daughter's maths endeavours, KTC, though I think she's mad to want to be a teacher, if Scottish ones work as hard as they do here, she won't have a life!!

Carrot cake and home made roasted butternut squash soup (Mary Berry's recipe) in the shed. Help yourselves. xx

Highlighted

Glad that ED's flat is sorted Katy, hope the move goes smoothly.  Shame about the Maths but things don't always go to plan but a little more time and perseverance...........I'm sure she'll get where she wants to be.

Oven cleaning was £55.  Expensive?  I still haven't worked that out!  Yes and no. The reason I had it done was because it is a oven with an integral grill and I haven't been able to use the grill lately as when I've switched it on there has just been clouds of acrid black smoke!  Ok, it's an indulgence paying to have the oven cleaned but I couldn't have sorted the smoking grill and it really does look like new, inside and out. 

Hope your Mum is ok and her eyesight fixed soon with a new prescription.

Have had two days off school this week with a horrendous cough and cold but went back today and next week I have three days holiday.  Looking forward to that.

Hugs to all those who need them. Have a good weekend.

Highlighted

Snowed here twice today brrrrrrrrrrrr so cold has been -3 degrees all day............

Happy belated birthday tat's son, did you have cake?? Tradition is, any leftovers go in the shed haha!

ED's flat is all sealed and sorted, she moves at the end of the month, hurrah!!

Bad news for her she needs credit maths to go into teaching, she thought that her other degree would cover it but it doesn't so she's down in the dumps, she's looking at night classes, so disappointed for herSmiley Frustrated! Aaaah things are never easy............

Mum is still a bit funny her eyes are not right, she looks very well but tired, optician said they would come to her house to test her, hopefully be soon.

She bought a new fangled hoover prior to, so I now have her old one, am well pleased, it will make me maybe want to vacuum more????? Don't think so??? hahaha!!!

FF, was it expensive to have oven done? xx

Highlighted

Love and hugs JCJ.  My condolences to you and your family.  I'm glad that your sister's last wishes were respected. 

Highlighted

Just keeping you company for a moment JCJ. It sounds like her passing was as close to her wishes as is possible, she was in a safe and loving environment and free from pain and the mental anguish she wanted to escape. But still a sad loss xx

Highlighted

Sending hugs JCJ xx
Highlighted

aaaaah, my heart goes out to you and your family JCJ, massive hugs and love coming your way xx

Highlighted

Blankets, endless tea, tissues and lots of love around that bench for you, JCJ.  So very sad, but thankful your sister's final days were on her terms.  Lots of hugs, lovely lady xxx

Highlighted

Just snuggling up on the Quiet bench. My sister died this morning at 5:30am, peacefully, with her OH holding her hand as promised. He was staying in the relatives' room and the nurses woke him at 4am to say M's condition had changed. What lovely, lovely people who work in hospices :'(

Highlighted

Just so happy for you re the school bit of your update, JCJ.  Enjoy that vindication, bet it tastes sweeeet 😉

I'm glad your sister's wishes are being observed and you are happy with the care she is receiving.  Hospices are wonderful places indeed xxx

Highlighted

Ooh. Realise the last bit of that previous post may not make sense. I had a phone call from other B-I-L, last night, to tell me he'd been advised not to bother making the 80 mile journey to see her today as she was now settled in the Hospice and completely "out of it" unaware of visitors or anything. This is exactly what she was asking to happen. Thank goodness for the wonderful MacMillan nurses who let people retain some dignity in their final days. I'm putting money in every Hospice or MacMillan charity pot I see. 🙂 Heart

Highlighted

Had a really good day today! 🙂

It didn't start well when I saw *that* class had a supply in this morning and this usually makes them even more vile for me in the afternoon. However, HT called me into her office to ask about my sister and reiterate that I must take off all the time I need. She said the supply was booked all day, so if it got too much for me I could go home. But even better than that, she said the behaviour in the 2 classes I have most trouble with was so appalling yesterday (both had supply teachers in the morning!) that there are plans afoot to make some changes that may help! I cannot possibly be blamed for their behaviour when I was at home, so I have finally been vindicated that IT'S NOT MY FAULT!! 🙂

I have been waving whole class reward time as a carrot - they had earned 63 minutes over the 6 week half term (well, 5 1/2 up to today) and I told the children I'd come back specially to make sure they got it (little white lie, but it worked a treat!) They had to be good all day to have the last hour doing things of their choosing! Bingo! Success. Apparently they were talking about it all yesterday, and HT heard - so she can't possibly say I've not made progress dealing with their behaviour??!

Then I get home to find an email from the lovely mods on this site saying I've been chosen to be a BCC Community Champion and thanking me for my support to other users! How lovely! Though I feel a bit of a fraud, because I certainly feel I GET more support than I give!

Now I'm hovering near the guilty bench, because I've felt good today despite the **** situation my sister's in. Hopefully, she's still 'out of it' and not suffering pain or frustration, and I know she wouldn't want me moping about...  But still. Here alligators...guilt coming in CATCH! SPLASH!

Highlighted

So glad you had time with your sister, JCJ.  I hope the move to the hospice goes smoothly and she is comfortable.  Very tough times for you and your family, feeling the bl@@dy unfairness of it all for you.  Take all the time you need off school.  Kids can smell vulnerability and are ruthless at exploiting it.  You need looking after right now, not trying to be Wonderwoman for that ungrateful lot!  Lots of hugs xxx

My my youngest was 18 yesterday and my parents came over.  We had a lovely relaxed time, went out for a meal (I thought a mixed grill was appropriate after my rads) and consumed bubbles.  FaceTime (other...) with the son completed a super family day 😍🍾. Made it to rads and back in exactly 2 hours, the shortest so far - need my mum with me every day as a lucky charm, methinks 😉  One of my rads team (Shona, 22, 5 ft nothing and from Liverpool - I love her!) has started being cheeky to me, so that makes me feel much more at home 😉

Highlighted

So pleased you and your sister could talk, such a terrible disease and she has gone through so much.

Hopefully today she will be much more comfortable, sad times JCJ. Hugs flying your way.

And stay off if you want to, depends on your own frame of mind not HT. You do what YOU want xx

Highlighted

Back from Hereford. Just had the task of letting brother and other B-I-L (late other sister's OH) know what's going on. 

I was dreading seeing M. I thought she'd be far more 'out of it' than she was. We had a good chat, but she's so uncomfortable, can't move at all by herself, her kidneys and liver have packed up and her spleen is enlarged. She dozed off a few times while I was there, but she was very lucid with the doctor, demanding for it all to be over soon because she's had enough: "they'd shoot me if I was a horse!". I've always been a believer in quality of life not quantity - bit of a family mantra! - so I said I would take her to Switzerland myself, if I thought she could make the journey! :'(

She is being transferred to the Hospice tomorrow and the promise is she will be made as comfortable as possible. Hopefully, they will sedate her so she is less aware of her situation and the indignity of it all. She is staggered by how quick the deterioration has happened. Only last Thursday, apparently, she couldn't understand why the McMillan nurse said she needed to go into the Hospice. She thought she would be fine - hence the stairlift! 4 days later..... 😞

When I got home, I had a text from HT saying not to try to go to work tomorrow as cover has been arranged. I was intending going in, as I may need time off for a funeral soon - but if I've been ordered not to go.....?! 🙂

Highlighted

I really hope you are not doing a FF, Katy, that was quite an expensive time for me!  Glad that your new chariot has you moving better but sorry that you already have to clean it!

I have had my oven professionally cleaned today, cleaning the oven is not a job that I (or anyone else!) enjoy and, to be honest, I had put it off for far too long.  It took two hours and I am absolutely delighted, the oven looks brand new.  In fact, so brand new that I don't want to use it and dirty it!  And I will, in future, clean it regularly and keep it sparkling clean and if you believe that, you will believe anything Smiley Embarassed 

Cardigans that I ordered online arrived today as well. Two cardigans, same style, same size but different colours.  One is just a smidge too big, the other is just a smidge too snug!!!.........  Will keep both as a) they were cheap and b) I can't be bothered and c) close enough and a better fit than anything else I own.

Thinkig of you JCJ, more hugs for you.

Highlighted

As tat says JCJ, you just concentrate on your sister, don't even think about work, you have enough going on at the moment. Thinking of you and sending lots of hugs xx

Am having a wonderful time, NOT!!!

Switched main tv off yesterday afternoon, switched it back on again a couple of hours later and nothing grrrrr!! So chariot and tv will be going to the dump asap!Smiley Frustrated

Then this morning washing machine showed an error message.................cannot possibly deal with anything wrong after the 10 week carry on last time, grrrrr!

Then phone completely froze, hope I'm not doing a FF???

Went to meet friend for our muggachoc, then nipped into supermarket for a couple of things, bought well known Scottish soft drink and made my way home. Arrived at front door and saw a puddle underneath chariot, can had burst and was squirting orange stuff all over the place, grrrrrrrrrrr so had to walk all the way back to return them.......another grrrrrrrrrrrr!

On the happy front, new chariot arrived this morning, woo hoo, YD fixed and screwed things into place, I love it!!! Old one must have been on it's last legs for ages cause I am now gliding Smiley Happy!!

Bad news is I have to clean the new basket cause that's where juice was squirtingSmiley Frustrated xx

Highlighted

You'll be in our thoughts all day, JCJ.  Try not to worry about work, family comes first.  Lots of love x♥♥x

Highlighted

Thank you, ladies. Heart 

I'm going to Hereford today, on the train. Can't face motorway driving in this weather, or navigating unknown roads in my anxious state! 😞

HT being understanding, so I hope this hasn't added to my issues. Tough, if it has?!! xx

Highlighted

Oh JCJ, I'm so sorry sweetheart xx

Highlighted

Love and hugs to you and your family. JCJ.  I am so very sorry to hear your news.

Highlighted

I'm so very sorry, JCJ.  Sending hugs and love xxx

Highlighted

JCJ, such very sad news, sending you lots of hugs xx