71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

katytc

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Lemon mouse and chips and mayo no thank you haha xx

katytc

Ouchy, ouchy Jane, fingers crossed for fast healing, sounds incredibly sore.

Glad you are enjoying sunshine and tulips perhaps benchland can also have some, between tulips and bluebells will be so pretty.

400?? geez that is a huge amount of children. How long was it for?

Am on train off to YD's just for the day was meant to be weekend but will be through again in a week or so therefore we thought just today was fine. 

Had a mad cleaning spree yesterday hoovered radiators, washed down doors etc to be fair it was a half hearted attempt haha.

No sunshine here but not raining YET.....xx

JCJ

That should, of course, have been lemon *mousse* tart. No mice were harmed in the making of it!! 😂

JCJ

I hate to break it to you, Jane, but the chariot champion was not 5 but 3 years old!!

So glad you are enjoying Holland - t'achemo  SEs notwithstanding (literally?! 😛). It's the best time to be there. I have fond memories of a school trip (school centenary celebration - 400 of us went, including staff, on 7 continental coaches and a whole train! A special brass band greeted us as we docked at Hook of Holland.) years and years ago. I was stunned by the acres and acres (hectares and hectares?) of tulips. Never to be forgotten. Also enjoyed the rollmops and chips with mayo. 😁

We've been to a country park with gazillions of bluebells today. Beautiful! They were near enough to the car park for OH to get to them easily: he can't manage to walk to the ones in the woods near our house. It's been lovely and sunny but with a cold wind.

Pork chops roast dinner in the shed, along with Lemon mouse tart and thawed frozen berries. Later in the week, there will be homemade pizza, coleslaw, garlic wedges and a blackforest gateau: OH's birthday requests. Enjoy. 

GIJaneH

We lost! To a 5 Yr old!!!

Shopping trolley sounds great...eyes positive news.. t'achemo affects mine.

My feet are falling apart  - t'achemo burns its way out of hands and feet, looking for scar tissue as an easy option.  I have scars inside of both heels, and one of them has split.  Toe is better but still oozing, so we put a dressing back on.   OH pushed me round a massive garden full of tulips and other bulbs and shrubs. The sun was shining and the tulips iridescent.  Fabulous.  A gentle trundle round the town centre this morning...funeral of a dear friend this afternoon which we will join by zoom...amazing parade of flowers tomorrow. Holland is great!  Mayo comes with the chips!  Sticky spare ribs in shed....

JCJ

Tempted to get one of those shopping trolleys with a seat..... if only so I can join in the chariot races - otherwise I might have to get some roller skates and we all know how badly THAT could go!! If I got one, though, he certainly wouldn't use it! I will subtly plant the suggestion so that he thinks it was his idea. 😁

The advertised £6 glasses are probably *from* £6. Add in varifocal  and reaction/transition lenses and I'm guessing it would be a LOT more! Also, these are frameless: even more expensive. Sorry. That sounds like I'm bragging (flashes diamond encrusted Rolex 😛). Just explaining why I'll stick with the ones I've got for now.

Glad you like the new 'do' Katy. No more bald patches! 😂

Mayo: liberally all over the chips (it's fine. It's half fat so I can have twice as much! 😂) but each mouthful has a bit of everything. Yum.

Picked up the sewing machine yesterday. All fixed apparently. When he called to get me to fetch it, he said "Your sewing machine is b.... (I was fully expecting" bu****ed"- or, more likely, as he is too polite for that: "broken")..... eautiful!!" I bet he says that to everyone though? 🙂 Now I've got to find something to sew to test it out. 

Sitting in the garden, in the sunshine, with my coffee. It might be quite a struggle to extract myself from this CBA bench to go for a swim! 

katytc

That's a good idea grumpy, maybe your OH would use one of these JCJ? He would be permanently shopping haha.

Good news about eyes, what about the place that advertises on tv? £6.00 a pair??

Where do you put the mayonnaise? chips, peas, or egg?? oooh yuck hahaha.

Had hair done yesterday, really like it, did feel nervous though. It has really brightened hair greatly, had a patch of grey in my fringe and in certain lights it looked like there was no hair there, you can see it now haha.

Little person that pipped me to the post, wonderful made me laugh and laugh xx

grumpy

I bought a shopping trolley with a seat, I can lean on it when walking, and hitch the dog to it for walkies. The deal is I walk slowly and Joey doesn't drag on the lead. It can carry plenty of shopping, discarded jacket on a warm day or a book and picnic. It doesn't look like a mobility aid and traffic stops to allow me to cross the road! And I meet a mate with one and his dog in the park, so we walk and chat and agree they are very helpful.. it doe fold down to go in the car.

I'll try to put a picture on my profile.

Hope this helps.

Grumpy

JCJ

Saw these today in a charity shop. Soooo Benchland?! 🤣

20220419_144949.jpg

JCJ

Here comes Jane storming down the final straight on her chariot as Katy passes her on the inside. It's going to be a photo finish..... but who's that small person whizzing past on her balance bike, leaving them both for dust?! 😛😂

10 mile bike ride for a 5 year old?! That's impressive. 

Ouchy toe. Jane. I hope the rest, elevation and antibiotics are improving things.

I have just been to the opticians for my annual check up. Now I'm no longer taking Tapoxyfen, I can go back to 2 yearly eye tests. Hurrah! My prescription has changed slightly. Both eyes are improving and are now closer together (prescription-wise: I'm not becoming cross eyed! 😂) That can't be a coincidence, surely, 2 months after stopping Tamoxifen my eyesight improves? Or perhaps it's retirement? Rather less of the scary eye hospital warnings this time. Thank goodness. I'm not bothering to replace my glasses as they cost a fortune and I only got them 2 years ago when I broke my old ones: annoyingly, my prescription was unchanged then!! I'm still safe to drive with these and they shouldn't cause me any problems so hopefully I can squeeze another 2 years out of them.

OH came with me to town and he's stayed there - probably going to have his dinner in the pub so I've got some rare place-to-myself time. 😁 Egg, oven chips, mushy peas and mayonnaise planned for my dinner. My favourite CBA meal. (Might nick some sausages and a roll from the shed to accompany them)

I got tempted by the ring doughnuts in the supermarket so I've just had two (oops! 2nd one was an "accident"! 🤭) with my mugatea. I'll put the rest in the shed along with the delicious (even if I say so myself) homemade pizza and extremely moreish wedges I made yesterday!! Enjoy.

Just contemplating whether I CBA to walk up to the woods to see if the bluebells are out. Hmmm. Probably not. Snzzzzz. 

katytc

Oooh sounds awful Jane, hope antibiotics work quickly. Good job you now have rollator, will make life so much easier.

Chariot race is on, not blowing my own trumpet but have huge experience hahaha.

Aaah lovely GD is having fun on her bike. YD and I were just speaking about her cycling, when she was 5 she cycled 5 miles to nearest shop and 5 miles back home, I can still picture her now😊. Don't know how she managed..........

Am stuck on the CBA bench, nipped over to shop early this morning and did not wear a mask........felt so liberating haha.

Have eaten breakfast, sausages and rolls in shed, yum and now don't want to do anything.

Hair will be done this week, not sure if I am going for a whole new look or not, am so nervous haha.

Lido is def not doing it's job☹️, feeling a bit sad about it all.

Did go for coffee with ED, it was fab, munched a raspberry and coconut slice with a little cream delicious. xx

GIJaneH

Mind that biiiiiikkke!!!!!!!!  Oops!  Too late!

Latest adventure was A&E last night...toe nail was lifting, having gone purple at the base,,,,yesterday it was sore so I took my sock off to check...it was wet... toe wet... abscess in nail bed, which had fortunately burst.  Antibiotics and padded toe...shoes are optional,  aren't they???

Sitting on the comfy bench with my foot up...

Hope you had a good weekend 😊 

JCJ

The rollator sounds like an excellent plan. Now you and Katy can have chariot races! 😂

I've been trying to persuade OH to get one because he keeps searching for a walking stick that is also a reliable seat but not too cumbersome or heavy. I worry that if it's easily portable it won't be stable.... or high enough to get up off... but he is even more averse to a rollator than the wheelchair!!

Disappointing about your daughter but you can see them another time and it would be even more disappointing if you caught the cold and it ruined your holiday... or stopped you travelling!

GD has had a "new" (to her) balance bike and she's bombing about everywhere on it. YD says she rode it all the way to a park, a mile from their house, this morning, and at a tolerable speed. Tour de France here she comes!! 😁

GIJaneH

Your sewing machine sounds ds as if it's in safe hands!

I compromised and bought a rollator I can sit on when I get tired. My own, portable CBA bench!  He's called Rolo, my 4b4!

Superb weather today... and we went for an unplanned curry tonight,  which was great,  even if the dish I ordered was too hot for me! Oh and I swapped.  YD was due for lunch Sunday,  but her partner has gone down with a stinking cold,  and as we're going away they thought they ought not to come. We're disappointed,  but it's the right decision...

Curry and trimmings in the shed...I've got my feet up now....

Have a great Easter xx

JCJ

I understand your reluctance to resort to a wheelchair, Jane, I'm sure I'd be the same. However, I believe it's a good idea. Don't think of it as giving up but more as a means to keep doing what you (both) want to do without so much pain. After all, you don't HAVE to use it all the time; just when you need it. Even if you don't ride in it: just have it with you to sit in sometimes.

Good that you've been able to enjoy all the family, Katy. Enjoy the peace and quiet when they go, knowing you'll see them again soon.

Hopefully,  early recognition of GS's ASD will enable him - and the family - to get the support to manage it. There is so much more understanding about these conditions now.

OH came out of his sulk quicker than usual.... for now.... but I'm going to be very careful and try not to show my excitement about my trips. Soooo looking forward to both of them: chance to just be me for a wee while. 😀

Left my sewing machine in a garage FULL of other sewing machines of every type and style imaginable - there was, literally, only just enough room to squeeze between them into a tiny space around a small work bench and stacks of drawers of parts - with a man who says he can fix it. Hurrah. It will cost £120 or thereabouts but he advised me that it's a good machine and I wouldn't get one of that standard, even second hand, for that price. OH will probably pay: he wanted to get me a new one for my birthday but I said that would be wasted expense because I use it so rarely... and hate chucking out things unnecessarily! ..... so I said I'd try to get this one fixed instead.

We've had lots of rain over the last 24 hours so I can't mow the "lawns" as planned. Shame. I'll just have to make some coffee and settle back on the CBA bench. Gutted. 😛

katytc

Aaaah Jane, neuropathy so very painful, what tablets have you been given? Hopefully they might ease some of the pain. If things get awfully bad you could hire one over there as a last resort? Fingers crossed for you.

As you say JCJ it's 5 nights in the year, so very difficult for you though, at least he did show some enthusiasm if only for a short while. It's in May so there will be a long while for the two of you to venture. Not easy for either of you to come to terms with PD.

Have been with all the family over the last few days have enjoyed greatly, nice to have everyone here and about. YD and GS leave tomorrow, will feel sad but will have sometime to do a super clean haha. Will be going backwards and forwards anyway but just nice to have them here. Youngest GS has been referred to lots of places he is showing strong signs of ASD hopefully with the right help in place it's something we can also be on board with to make his life easier.

ED has found an italian cafe that sells most wonderful coffee and cakes, have not been so am going to ask her if she wants to go on Fri, her last day off before restarting on Mon.

Just looking out of window and it's getting darker and darker, yuck xx

GIJaneH

thanks for the pasta! Yummy...

I am struggling.  My feet are so painful for the last couple of days (earlier in the chemo cycle than usual) and OH is going on about buying a wheelchair to take to Holland for me!!!! NOOOOOO!  I'll hobble.... NOOOO!

I don't mind for the odd day round big things, but NOOOOO!

JCJ

I'm feeding the alligators! 😕 OH was in such a good, relaxed mood at dinner yesterday that I braved the topic of my camping trip with YD. He said, "You must go!" but has been in sulk mode ever since. The very reason I was putting off telling him! It will pass, it always does - (I'm more than used to it!!) but for the moment it has stolen all the joy out of the idea and made me feel soooo guilty. I really do understand that he must feel so frustrated and isolated but it's not MY fault he's fallen out with his brother and friends and I need to have a life while I still can. It'll be a total of 5 nights I'll be away - over 2 trips - in a whole year. Is that really too much to ask?

Sorry. Needed to vent..... and don't want YD to feel guilty too!

Not going to school today, obviously, as it is Easter holidays but I'm going to the same village (100yds from the school) to take my sewing machine to, hopefully, be repaired instead. 🤞🏼

JCJ

I hope the breathlessness doesn't get bad enough to spoil your holiday, Jane and that the op. - when you get back - sorts it out.

2 weeks instead of 1, Katy? Can't be bad.

I've still not braved talking to OH about the potential camping trip with YD. But I'm already really looking forward to it!! Got to pick my moment because I'll be gutted if he makes me feel guilty by getting in a huff about it!! Makes me think I DESERVE it for putting up with him for 40 years!! 😜

The girls have bought a new front-facing car seat for GD in the hope of curing.... or at least reducing.... her car sickness. On her first journey in it, YD announced: "Big Ann (that's their name for their car) is going forwards like the other cars! Will we go forwards every day now?" 😂 No wonder the poor little mite was sick if her brain was struggling with them going backwards and everyone else forwards?!!

Time to cobble some dinner together - if I can drag myself off the k******ed bench: we've just been swimming!! Smoked salmon, broccoli and cream cheese pasta in the shed shortly. 

GIJaneH

holidays...books... chips... what's not to like?

The breathlessness has taken no time at all to come back this time - 24 hours!  I do need that op.....  Still, it's not as bad as it was before I went, so 🤞

Beautiful day here, but cold.  The heron has had 5 of our 8 fish from the pond!

Pub Sunday lunch today - last minute decision last night.... I'll get some for the shed....

I put up a little prayer station or two in church for Holy Week.  One was about guilt.  OH made me take out the reference to alligators!!!!

take care, and enjoy the rest of the weekend...

katytc

Oooooh how fabulously wonderful JCJ, that's happy times.

Am so very pleased for you!

Ate all the chips as well as my curry (takeaway) yum yum.

Not been out and about today despite weather actually sunny, just lingering around the CBA bench.

Just chilling with YD and GS.

The other evening I read a whole book in 3 hours, can't remember the last time I did that??

Holiday is just the same but longer, we will end up at loggerheads hahaha, xx

JCJ

Is your holiday at the same time as before, Katy? Same place or somewhere else?

Chippies in the shed. They are sooo expensive now! 😱 I got rain, snow and sun on my walk to get them!

So excited this morning because YD messaged me to say that DIL had asked her if she was going away with me again this year. Apparently she just assumed we'd keep doing it every year, despite now being parents. She also added the condition - half jokingly, half deadly serious - that immediately YD gets home I take DIL away and spoil her too. 😂 This has made me very happy as I wasn't expecting a holiday with YD to be an option this year as DIL still hasn't had her long weekend away from last year (and it shows I can't be THAT bad a MIL? 😁) However, I've already planned a mini break away, in May, and I don't know how OH will take the idea of me beggaring off again so soon. Part of me wants to just do it..... while I still can!.....but perhaps I'll wait to see how he copes in May first. Hmmm. *starts browsing campsites*

katytc

Yes all went well, upped to 12.5 so that means from now on I should be back to 4 hours, hurrah.

Still in tum, speaking to the nurses said didn't feel I was having the same effect as from intravenous, they said quite a few are saying the same. It is sooooooooooo easy having it in tummy than trying to find a vein am hoping things will adjust soon.

Wow consultant is great Jane, hope you are feeling the benefit and enjoy seeing daughter, is she back at work now?

JCJ 4 hours? That was a lot of chatting................haha.

Had a telephone call this morning from travel agent, holiday is cancelled, WHAT?

We could have money back, go for 7 days or for 14 with a reduction in price, we have opted for 14, done, dusted and confirmed. 

ED back at home, weather has been awful but kids had lots and lots of fun. She said it was super busy.

YD & GS here, we were bad and ordered a takeaway, ah well xx

JCJ

My hair has had highlights for years. Grey ones!! 😁 I've been reluctant to get it dyed as that would mean having to keep dyeing it (and I hate going to  the hair dresser!!) ‐ wouldn't attempt to try myself having seen the mess YD sometimes makes in the bathroom and she's got VERY short hair! 

I hope the lido went smoothly and does its stuff.

What a lovely consultant you have, Jane, being so kind and accommodating! Enjoy your trip to Holland. I hope you're there in time for the tulips. Incredible sight!

I've just had a 4 hour lunch (only a sandwich and pot of tea) with my friend/ex-colleague at the local garden centre. Good to catch up.... and have someone other than OH to talk to!!

Later: just had to dash out to rescue OH. He's had a problem buying stuff online (my birthday presents! ☺) with his new bank card and I suggested it might be because he needs to activate it at an ATM. He set off, in bright, breezy sunshine, to walk to the village. He'd been gone less than 2 minutes when the skies opened- with strong winds. Vile. Especially when he can't walk fast. I've jumped in the car and picked him up. Now parked in a nearby carpark while he staggers across to the shop/ATM.

Jane, are you still taking peppermint oil? I bought some online but I think they're making my wind issues worse because they seem to give me heartburn. I don't want to throw them away and can't offer them on Freecycle.org because medication of any kind - even vitamins and supplements - aren't allowed. If you can use them, DM me with your address. 😁

Later still: edited for typos and spellong ossues 😂

GIJaneH

Just back from the hair dressers - brown hair again!!!!  The first lot of chemo made my hair curl, so with the grey too I kept seeing my mother in the mirror!  It took me 9 years to embrace the curls, now this chemo is making it go straighter again and I want to keep the curls!  What are we like??

flat roofs being replaced.... windy and dark grey clouds amongst the blue skies!

had my lung drained this morning - took longer than usual because they needed two goes, and  wanted a post procedure Xray to make sure.  They don't want to drain it again, so that'll mean sticking the pleura together with a kind of talcum powder!  Overnight stay at least.  Still, very kind and lovely consultant who would have got that going today, to happen in a couple of weeks, but when I explained we were going to Holland in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to be able to walk easily, agreed to another drain today - see me when we get back!  Yippee!

YD is coming for the day tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to....  

have a good weekend xxxx

katytc

Oh dear JCJ, taking photos of people's washing lines haha, made me laugh crazily hee hee.

Glad you arrived home safely and no cooking cause it was Fri.

I don't agree with cooking on holiday at all....if unable to go out have a takeaway, woo hoo. Really any excuse from me.

Jane fingers crossed for something that makes neuropathy less painful and hope all of your next appointments go well for you.

Arrived home late Monday, because of the roadworks ordered taxi early, no delays at all and actually managed to catch an earlier train train, the 59 min one so was well pleased.

ED and family are off for a short break, weather is awful but there are lots of kids activities etc so all good. Youngest GD has chickenpox again, she's covered this time but all are scabby so she can have fun too.

YD and GS are down here at end of the week.

Am in hospital, lido day, 5 more hours and will be done.

Have finally plucked up the courage and am having highlights put in my hair, have never dyed before so am hugely nervous haha.

Not for a few weeks yet, hair is so dull and grey is appearing, geez am getting old haha xx

GIJaneH

Gosh, I'd forgotten about Hump and Dink!!

My BCN friend I'd back at work after 7 months recovery from surgery. Suddenly I have a date for chat with onc about neuropathy.....I've lost the feeling in my fingertips as well as feet. The breathlessness is getting worse, so they referred me to respiratory and I'm having the fluid drained next week.  Woo hoo!!! I've been holding off, but it's nearly 6 months since the last drainage...

Bara brith in the shed, along with scones,  jam and clotted cream.   11ses...

Cold but bright here.  Singing all morning....the rest of the community choir are singing all day....I'll go back for the sing through at 4pm...

Can OH cope with a meal deal from somewhere to save you cooking once a week?

The bit I always hated wasn't the cooking, but the choosing all the time.

Ttfn. Time to.leave the warmth of my bed....

JCJ

Hope your train journey went OK, Katy, and you got it together enough to get off! 😜

I spoke too soon about dinner at the pub. OH suddenly decided he couldn't face a place he didn't know, or manage the short but steep walk to get there. So I cooked. Again. Grrrr. Every night except Tuesday when we had chips. 2 pub lunches. Both with the girls. 

Home now and Chippy night tonight though so I braved the intermittent snow/sleet/hail to get them. No cooking. Yeah! 

Whilst looking through my holiday photos, I found the below picture, which I took because it's 2 camels on a washing line and it reminded me of Benchland and made me laugh. It's not a very good photo because I was trying to take it surreptitiously - having first ascertained that there was no underwear or such on view! - as it seemed a bit dodgy to be photographing someone's laundry. But 2 camels! What are the chances? I bet Hump and Dink were FURIOUS at being hung up by their humps!! 😂

20220327_151918.jpg

katytc

Aaah how lovely GD was so excited to see you, aren't they just brilliant.

Am on train again, was a massive effort today....on a later one than usual just couldn't get my act together at all. It is a beautiful day though.

We have had a little snow on for 2 mins and hailstones according to forecast we were meant to be about a foot deep in snow.

Glad you are having a good time JCJ, just doing what you want and when nice to putter around.

Hopefully pub meal is on the cards tonight.

Did you have another prawn sandwich?? Haha xx

JCJ

Glad you had a good time, Jane. How lovely to surprise your GD at the school gate! 😍 Grrr about the coat.

Last day of our holiday. What a mixed bag of weather!! At the start of the week - and it seems impossible now - we were sitting in the pub garden and had to move to the shade because it was too hot! It has got steadily colder all week and today it has alternated between gorgeous sunshine and pelting it down with snow. Every 5 minutes. Luckily, the snow is melting very quickly. It was white over at 7:30 this morning (I noticed on my trip to the loo, before going back to bed 😊)

OH just went out for a little walk.... I watched him shuffle the 25 yards to the top of the steep road, disappear down it for about 30 seconds and then reappear. It obviously got the "f*** it!" stamp. I don't think it's icy. I hope not because I was hoping we would be going to the pub for dinner tonight. It's snowing again now so it's just as well he came back!!

We've had a good week. He's been more relaxed and I have got used to doing so much less on holiday..... and taking myself off for a walk when I need to (the step counter app on my phone is a great excuse!!)

Hailing now! Ah well, at least we're not in a tent. 😁

GIJaneH

Stocking up the shed as we speak.....  all sounds good,      togetherness, no vomitting....

We had  fab time.  GD's little jig when she saw us outside the school gate was brilliant to see.  doingo bedtime on Saturday, we were reading about Gordon the Big Engine (who had a grumpy face) and I said "grandad gets grumpy sometimes too" and SHE (age 5) said "with you, I think" !!!!!  Observant little one!

Fish and hips on the beach in the sunshine Saturday...

good to be home, but I left my every day coat up there... that'll be a challenge.  I have others, but.... 

men here re-roofing the garage.... another one due to finish off some wall-building in the garden...  I'm off out!! Supermarket first (great joy of life, having once visited Romania when you bought whichever toothpaste they had, if they had it)

ttfn - be good xx

JCJ

The girls got home safe on Saturday with no vomit!! I've put it down to Magic Nana because GD is ALWAYS car sick. She spent the last 2 hours of the journey here throwing up. Last time they went home from our house they were vomit-free too. 😄

They have decided that they're going to holiday in Norfolk for the foreseeable future as it's just not worth the long journey if they can't even walk in the hills when they eventually get to them. 

We've had better weather than forecast today. Still warm and sunny after a cloudier start to the day. Sleet and snow are predicted for Wed and Thurs.... I hope that's not going to happen: our cottage is up a short but very steep, very narrow road!!

I hope you had a good time "oop North", Jane and safe journey back.

Might investigate chippie possibility tomorrow as we missed out on them on Friday. There's nothing in this village - apart from the pubs, obviously - but Bakewell is only a few miles away. Otherwise I'll be raiding the stash in the shed! 

katytc

Really, how lovely you are all there together, an unexpected adventure, indeed.

Mmmm prawn sandwich yum yum bet you will have more than one while you are there.

Hope you weren't too tired, getting up sooooooooo early Jane.

Had a lovely time, barbeque first of the year yesterday, woo hoo, delicious, sitting in the sun.......

Mad rush for train home, roadworks, had one minute to spare, arrived home 59 mins later, woo hoo!

Chippie was open hurrah.

Still trying to get over that long, long walk, I slept for 14 hours Saturday night haha. xx

JCJ

Tried to reply earlier whilst babysitting at the girls' cottage. Hadn't bothered to connect to their WiFi and phone signal rubbish. Then my battery died (drawback of using phone as satnav). So. I'll try again.

Met the girls at the pub for a late lunch when we arrived. They'd already eaten and needed to get GD back for her nap. We had a delicious lunch: the best prawn sandwich I've ever had, then went for a mugatea at their cottage before going to ours to check in. All within 5 minute walk (even manageable for OH although it took him a lot more than 5 minutes!) En route, we also passed another good pub!! I think I'm going to like it here! 😄

GD settled well and the grown up girls enjoyed sampling the cheese boards at both pubs but didn't stay out long because YD was very tired. She's still recovering from Covid!! They've all had it but are all testing -ve now.

5am alarm, Jane: ouch! Hope your journey was safe and uneventful. Enjoy spending time with family.

So, we're all away from home at the moment! Enjoy your family too, Katy.

katytc

Oh my goodness.....

Such an ordeal but so glad nothing was taken and it's all been stopped, it is so easy to be deceived, arrrgh. 

Am also away, quick visit this week then back through for a little longer next week.

Glad your day went well Jane, have a fun time.

Hope you have a fabulous holiday JCJ, amazing girls are there too.

Weather is beautiful today, hurrah for the sunshine xx

GIJaneH

It's easily done.  Throw the guilt to the alligators,  they are looking hungry...  after OH mistake, it isn't unreasonable that the bank phone, which of course the scammers know.  At least payments have been stopped.

Medicinal fish and chips in the shed...

My assemblies went well, and I wasn't as worn out as I expected.  It was great fun getting the children cheering and booing....it was a series of assemblies for world women's day,  looking at people in jobs that only men used to do.  That would be me as a CofE vicar sort of person!!!

Lovely time sitting in the sunshine when I got home. We used to have 8 fish in the pond...only got 3 now.  I've seen the pesky heron perched....

Off up north crack of dawn tomorrow. 5am alarm..😱

JCJ

OH was a numpty and responded to one of those "post office" text phishing scams and paid for "redelivery of a parcel." Then I, angry with him (I have warned him about these scams!) and tired, last night, was an even bigger numpty and got completely taken in (despite loudly clanging alarm bells in the back of my mind! ) by a call from "L***** Bank" (phone number almost identical to bank's) trying to "refund money that had been fraudulently taken from the account". Utter tosh, obviously, because the bank would not ring OH's mobile to do that. I realised my stupidity straight away, logged into Internet banking to see 2 unauthorised pending payments to a company we would have no cause to pay. I froze the card straight away and tried to ring the bank. I was advised - after the rigmarole and faff of entering all his details on the automated system - that there was a 40 minutes call waiting time! It was already late, lines close at 11pm, and I was exhausted so I gave up. Stressy sleepless night. Spent all morning on the phone to bank, fraud team, payee company (bank wanted me to try to recover the money from them myself.... they gave me the number for an entirely different company/branch) then bank (number given me by fraud team woman) and then transferred to fraud team again (WHAT?!). Each call involved a long wait listening to recorded messages, automated switchboards and having to get OH to confirm his identity and say it was OK to speak to me because, unfortunately, this was on his solo account, not our joint one! One of the calls that DID get quite quickly through to the fraud team got cut off as she started to key in the case reference number I was told to give. Back to square one.... by which time I'm literally losing my mind!

Anyway, after playing the "Parkinson's card" (I had to explain why it was me making the call) the bank have agreed to refund the £140 and investigate recovering it themselves. A new card is on its way and another attempted £950 payment has been stopped and flagged as fraud. His account should  now be safe from further attack. Phew!

I am sooooo annoyed that I got us in this mess in the first place but so proud of myself for being polite, calm and friendly with everyone I spoke to - despite seething with frustration at the system. I have to say the bank and fraud people were all sympathetic, helpful and non-judgmental. Imagine having to spend your entire day having to sort out stressed idiots who've succumbed to cunning scamming b*****ds. Rather them than me: you'd get a pretty jaundiced view of the world?

I've been into school for an hour or so: arrived somewhat later than usual due to the above, and now I'm enjoying a mugatea in the lovely sunshine and trying to calm down. 

katytc

Typical haha.

What's happened??? xx

JCJ

They picked up as I was on the loo so OH answered. Helpful chat. Asked to contact payee. Rang the number bank gave me. No joy after 20 minutes on hold - not on their system apparently. Now back on queue to bank fraud team. Thank goodness we've got "free minutes" in our phone calling plan!! 😱

At least the card has been cancelled so they can't take any more money while we're fighting to sort it out. 

katytc

Oh no.....

Just go to loo but don't flush.

Fingers crossed you are now talking to someone x

JCJ

Need the loo....but probably only stress....but you know what will happen if I go......I'm not talking to the fraud team in the bathroom!! 😳

JCJ

Hahaha 😂 You'd need to be sitting in the lido to eat a soup and prawn sandwich?! Love a prawn sandwich!

Currently losing the will to live waiting in a queue to talk to the bank (not the chemist with the same name) fraud team. I, stupidly, fell for a phone scam last night following on from OH responding to one of those dodgy Post office redelivery texts.

"Thank you for holding. We are exceptionally busy at the moment but we expect your call to be answered shortly" ad nauseum for 42 minutes so far. 🤬

katytc

Not soup and prawn, soup then prawn sandwiches😁 xx

katytc

Thank you for all the yummies...........

Oooh sounds exciting JCJ, indeed what are the odds?

Hope weather stays good for you all.

Is this a new patio Jane? Or is it a replacement?

Hope feet are sorted soon.

My friend is/was always going on cruises so this year they are still not venturing afar and new kitchen and bathroom are due to be started soon, she would rather be on a cruise haha.

JCJ has explained well, I don't think we call them lidos here, just outdoor pools haha.

Had lunch out yesterday soup and prawn sandwiches, no dessert or cake. What's wrong with me?? We have decided to try somewhere different next time, just for a change. We are going to a place we went to a few years ago, Italian, yum.

It's sunny but oh so cold, was actually shivering earlier.

I still don't think it's normal to feel so cold haha. xx

GIJaneH

I have the same mental image!  The comments are usually less encouraging though!  Thanks for the roast in the shed.  Hugely grateful for the knitted blankets with sleeves too!       Real bonus!!

We had a busy weekend and I'm tired.  Just been prescribed something to stop the feet burning (which will also help me sleep) only they never told me I couldn't drink alcohol with it!!!!😲

Still, a meeting tonight has gone on the *uck it list, so that's a bonus!

This week there's a man relaying the patio outside the front door.  Next week roofers arrive.  In between we'll go and have a quiet weekend with the grand daughter!!

Chicken Fricasse in the shed tonight, with mashed potatoes and veg.... marmalade B&B pudding too...

JCJ

PS. I'm sure Katy will explain, Jane, but lido = lidocaine; a pain relief treatment. Although, every time it's mentioned, I have a mental image of Katy lolling around in an open-air swimming pool. 😂

JCJ

No birdie in the camera box..... yet..... but sparrows and blackbirds are busy gathering bits and bobs and secreting them in the hedge and bushes. 😁

We're off for a week, Katy, from Friday. The girls are already in their cottage in the same Peak District village (I still can't get over that coincidence!!) and they've been sending photos of GD enjoying her birthday presents. We will see them on Friday and/or Saturday before they go home. I have offered to babysit for them so they can have a rare holiday night out. Probably just to one of the pubs in the village. I'll get to spend time in 2 different holiday cottages in one weekend! 😄 It makes the holiday anticipation even more exciting knowing we're going to see them.

Roast chicken dinner in the shed along with black cherry crumble and custard. I've knitted some blankets - with sleeves! - and put them on the CBA bench. Help yourselves.

Stunning moon last night! It made the trek to the shop for milk (yet again. I don't know what he does with the stuff: bathe in it?!) much more enjoyable.

I'm having Dancing On Ice withdrawal. Apparently, there's some men (or women?) kicking a ball around a field on tele instead tonight. 

GIJaneH

I think I missed something on the journey - what is the Lido all about?

Having felt rubbish on Friday, yesterday was great.  No rhyme nor reason.

Today seems to call for a wee sit, well wrapped up, so make space on the CBA bench...

Croissants in the shed, along with good coffee...

katytc

Hahaha, the good son indeed, made me laugh😂

Glad daughter is on the mend, fingers crossed all works out well.

Wrong finger??? Aaah well.

Oooh holiday? Lovely, how long are you away for?

Is birdie nesting?

Gosh it's sunny today and not freezing cold, hurrah.

Am firmly placed on the CBA bench, no motivation whatsoever.............

Am away to sound like moany minnie but am def thinking lido is not so good in the tum as it was intravenously, may just need to have a few more twirling in my system before a "good" difference is made. On the positive it's still better than not having it at all.

Nothing planned this weekend but am out for lunch on Mon, yipee! xx

GIJaneH

yep, phased return at some point.  It can feel a little de-skilling after a holiday, nevermind 7 months when you're supposed to be the expert, but they've appointed a co-team lead while she's been off (she was the only one without that support AND the one responsible for non-invasive ventilation and respiratory work during Covid).  Hopefully that will be better.  At the moment, she'd rather be a motorbike instructor!!!

Lovely weather... man digging up patio outside front door today - eek!  I'm off out for brekkers....  I'll put some in the shed....

Great the eyes are doing better.  Peak District!  Fabulous!  We've been invited up to Newcastle next weekend.  I said to my son "I hadn't realised you invited us up for Mothering Sunday - that's lovely".  "Nor had I" he replied.... so we had a good laugh...