71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

JCJ

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

No spoilers from me! 😜

Friday again! How did that happen? I'm sure Fridays never came around this fast when I was working! This time next week we'll be on our way to the Peak District! Correction: this time next week I'll be waiting for him to STOP FAFFING ABOUT so that we can leave!

Great news your eyes are better, Katy, even if you do have lots of bother to keep them that way.

Good to hear your YD is getting better, Jane. I hope she doesn't try to go back to work full-time until she's ready..... although sometimes the anticipation of going back after a long time off can be worse than actually doing it? Will she be able to do a phased return?

It wasn't genius so much as cowardice that made me take the Tapoxyfen less regularly for the last box, Katy: I was putting off the moment when I'd no longer have that comfort blanket!! Ironic when you think I numbered the first few boxes with the idea of counting down from 60 because I was looking forward to stopping them! Before I knew it would be TEN years, obviously!!

Sunny today and forecast to be so for the next few days (saving up the blizzards/monsoon for next week? 😛) but I suspect it's still quite chilly out there.

Ooh! Just seen a female blackbird taking nesting material into our privet hedge. 😁 Must check the Bobville camera. 

GIJaneH

how the heck did my last post come up as a "spoiler" - did nothing different!

YD came up on Wednesday, and was going to come up on the motorbike, only it was raining brown rain (Saharan Sand rain) so she came by car - phew!  Lovely to see her.   She's just beginning to feel that maybe she COULD get back to work in the hospital after 6 months off with PTSD post covid...  good to see her feeling stronger.... not there yet, but on the way....

I cut the finger out of a white glove I wear to protect sore hands (chemo) yesterday, and cut the wrong finger off!!!  Wore it anyway..... Doh!

forgot two appointments/meetings yesterday, so today is a bit full catching up...

sun looks hopeful for the weekend... enjoy!

katytc

Aaah Jane you are a right spoiler.....................🤣

Oh my gosh what a clever idea regarding the Ta"poxy"fen, I just stopped it dead prob why I had side effects haha.

Bras, bras bras, the bane of my life, I cannot find ANY that are comfortable at all, trying another soon, so will see how that goes, am not hopeful.

We have been purchasing stuff for GS and holiday, 10 t shirts, 7 pairs of shorts, swim vest, 2 swim suits and a pair of sunglasses we are on a roll, haha, Am not needing much because still have all the things I never wore from the holiday that never was.

No sitting out here, apart from the cold it's raining as well brrrr.

Eyes are doing well, antibiotics def worked so that's good news, still lots of faffing around to keep them that way but it's a small price to pay.

That's not good about your friend JCJ, will it ever get better for her? xx

GIJaneH

Spoiler
How uncomfortable! But I'm sure the bas are 'armless!!!

We had 5 mins in the garden the other day, not long enough for coffee! Thanks for the glitterbury juice - I'd forgotten how good it tasted.  We've not tried putting the watch back together yet...  Need OH to have the time to do that!

Of course you must swim downhill!!!!  Good for you! Give the T'apoxyfen time to come out of your system. The Letrazole finally has...

The local chippie sounds a tad unreliable.  Maybe we should keep some in the shed?

JCJ

Cold much improved. I only felt really rough for just the one day but that was enough to frighten me into thinking I'd got Covid! (Just "man flu"? 😛)

I met up with my friend, on Saturday, for coffee and a croissant (your fault, Jane, putting that idea in my head! 😁). Friend is still suffering with long Covid! She now has asthma - possibly permanently - and gets regular headaches. For a few weeks, in January, she couldn't move without excruciating back pain or string a sentence together! She is the only person I know who's had more than mild cold symptoms and she was previously fit and healthy (although probably exhausted being a primary teacher in late November?!) and double vaccinated. Scary! 

Took the last Tapoxyfen about 10 days ago..... I didn't take one EVERY night through the last pack - thought I'd gradually reduce it in my system. I was so looking forward to my nails improving (possibly even being able to stop taking daily calcium!) and my internal wind (hurricane!) issues easing as they seemed to start as a direct SE. Disappointed on both counts. 😕 Nails worse than ever. All breaking at the slightest provocation and I'm still gurgling like an old drain - perhaps the lack of gallbladder might be the issue there. Hmmm.

Today, I finished my round Isle of Wight 90km swim. 🎉 It's  taken since mid December 2020 (pool closed mid December 2020 to mid April 2021 though). Aliburgers are cooking on the bonfire in celebration. 

New virtual swim challenge is the Yorkshire coastline. Just over 62 miles (100km) from Redcar to Flamborough Head. I'm swimming North to South because we all know that's downhill. 😜

Lovely sunny day today and I actually had my coffee in the garden this morning! There are crocuses and daffs galore and loads of frogspawn in the pond. I can hear little froggy croaks from outside now. Spring is definitely on its way! Hurrah! By 2 weeks time, when we're away, it will be back to zero degrees and blizzards though just you watch.

New bras. Grrrr. I finally found a style that's supportive, comfy, padded to hide the lopsidedness and available (online) in my size. I have had a few of them over the years. Tried to get the same again but of course they no longer stock that model! Ordered 2 similar looking ones but neither are as good. I swear this one is currently trying to amputate my arms with the wires. 😡

katytc

🤣Seriously offended🤣

Both daughters phones were in puddles of water, both did rice in a bowl and both phones started working so can only say woo hoo to rice haha. Did they dry out naturally? I don't know haha.

Was thinking it maybe no longer swallowing the ta"poxy"fen JCJ??

I remember def side effects..........

Train coming home was mobbed, was lucky I had a seat, delayed half an hour due to signalling issues, arrrgh, thought I am def going to chippie now and guess what? It was closed another arrrgh. It was also raining.

Good news just ordered a takeaway and settled down.

Have to go out later cause there is nothing yummy in house at all but am waiting for a delivery, if it doesn't arrive before I would like to leave, will pop over to supermarket, later, later.

Another dull day here but it's not raining yet haha xx

JCJ

Croissants! Yum, yum. None for you Katy - they have butter in. Hehehe.

Great that you got your scan results so quickly and that it's good news. Hurrah! Glitterberry juice in the shed to celebrate.

Not so good about the watch. I hope it dries out (sorry Katy, according to QI, the rice thing doesn't work: it is just as likely to dry out by itself.... without risking getting bits of rice inside 🤓)

Oh dear. It is starting to look like a "get at KTC" post. Sorry, no offence meant!! xx

Fish, chips and mushy peas in the shed. Yes! Friday again already. Where does the time go? Also homemade lemon Victoria sponge with homemade blackcurrant jam filling. You're welcome. Felt pretty c**p all day today. I've mostly sat about. Thought the mile walk to chippy and back in the fresh air would make me feel better. It did not. Drizzly rain didn't help.

I do remember The Dark, Dark Wood. We had some overlap between that thread and this but I didn't really post on it as I felt I was a bit of an interloper having escaped chemo. It was very funny, though, and I have recommended it to others. 😁

Oh gosh. That takes me back: it was exactly this time, 10 years ago, when I was trying to decide whether or not to have chemo (I was borderline so it was entirely MY decision! Grrr!) That was a vile few weeks. 😕 Looks like I made the right decision. Hindsight is a wonderful thing?! 😛

katytc

Brilliantly fab news Jane woo hoo for you!!!

Oh no about watch put it in a bowl of rice, did that with a mobile phone and it worked, hurrah so always worth a thought...

Hurrah as well for you JCJ, no covid it maybe that horrid cold, I felt a little dizzy and oh so tired. Hope you feel better soon.

Have ventured through to YD'S and for the first time in ages it not raining.

Just short visit this time, will be back on Sunday.

Am going to nip up to shop later and find something yummy for tea, am so tempted to order a takeaway....xx

GIJaneH

Oooh!  Hope you feel better soon!  We're still ordering LFTs online.....

OH has finished decorating the bedroom, and the new carpet has been fitted, so we moved back in.  Somehow I had forgotten that my watch was in my PJ pocket (I know, PJ's with proper pockets!) and my watch has been through the washing machine.  It's currently drying out and we're hoping for the best, but it was 20+ yrs old and never meant to get wet even, never mind washed!

It's funny how folk pop into your mind.  I was thinking of StayCalmAndCarryOn this morning, who started the Dark Dark Wood thread... don't know if you were ever on that, but it was so funny.  She's sadly no longer with us...

I got two phone calls from different nurses yesterday with my scan results (only had the scan Tuesday!)  All stable.... so as far as I understand it, my cancer is no worse now than it was a year ago when I was diagnosed, which is brilliant.  So kind of the oncologist to read the scans and get someone to phone me.  He's on holiday next week, so got it done before he went.  I've found out his favourite tipple....

Blood and covid test this afternoon - treatment again next week.  If it works....  

I'll be on the happy bench in the sunshine if anyone wants to join me.  Croissants in the shed...

JCJ

Both lawns done; one of them twice: once on high setting because it was so long and then again on the normal setting. Also both neighbours front lawns (both small). All edges of our lawns trimmed. I am completely kna****ed now. To think I used to do all that AFTER a morning at work!! Suddenly felt really awful: headache, toothache, ears buzzing and sinuses pounding so I took the last LFT. No problem this time (it must have been something he did wrong with his!) Negative. Phew!

When I got our box of tests (because neighbour's daughter tested +ve just after visiting her mum and also chatting with me) I got one for next door and I'm sure she won't have used any because D had ordered a PCR for her. I'll see if I can "steal" them back off her. 😁

JCJ

At least you didn't spend 4 hours crawling around under furniture trying to fix your broadband only to discover it was somebody else's problem, Katy! (I'm still smarting from doing just that!!) I hope it's all working OK now. 

I hope also, Jane, that you get good scan results - from a reliable source! - without having to wait too long. 

I'm on the CBA bench with a mug of coffee, enjoying the empty house, having deposited OH at the library. I'm not going swimming - despite only needing to swim 36 lengths to complete my around the Isle of Wight challenge - because the "lawns" are ridiculously long and finally dry enough to mow. I'm determined to get them done today before the forecast rain tomorrow....... but someone appears to have spilt superglue on this bench! 

I've got cold symptoms now! Don't know whether to take the last remaining LFT or just assume it's a cold, as OH's was -ve. I struggled with his test because there didn't seem to be enough liquid in the little pods: I had to use 2 in the end. I've had the tests over a year so I wonder if the liquid is evaporating somehow. They're still well within their "use by" date though. Strange. And it's not so easy to get hold of LFTs now. 

I'm supposed to meeting a friend - the teacher I used to work with - on Saturday, for coffee. She had Covid in November. She was really ill with it, spent 12 days in bed, had weeks off work, only managed to work part-time last half term and is still not properly recovered. She was previously fit and healthy!! At least she will have some immunity to it now?! 

Right. Grass taming. Before I have that second mug of coffee that's waiting in the cafetiere! *peels ar*e from bench*. 

GIJaneH

Makes you wonder where you'll end up Katy!!😂

Thanks for the hot cross buns..yum...

I went to outpatients to have finger checked. Kind but useless doc put it in the sort of splint a&e decided wouldn't work...I asked if I could do pilates "no!" he said very firmly.  Then "what is pilates? People can fall on their fingers doing sport "  I ended up calling a nurse friend in the evening and the splint is too big for slim fingers. we somehow gt to the notion of padding it with foam pad for feet! Works a treat.

Scan yesterday.  First available appointment with Dr I usually see to get results is end April, yes, April, when we'll be in Amsterdam. Have a telephone call appointment booked in early April with different Dr that the team don't rate. I'm hoping usual onc will call me before then as our paths have crossed professionally, but I can't expect.  They are so busy...

OH has been decorating our bedroom.  Carpet arrives today 🙂

Time to get up now....and graze in the shed to see if there are any fresh croissants....

katytc

Remember am the no butter ever, ever haha............

Glad you all have no covid, there was a nasty cold doing the rounds here and people were feeling tired for weeks afterwards so maybe that???

Have just suffered a morning without broadband checked to see what was happening and said there was an outage issue, after 4 hours and still nothing decided to switch everything off and lo and behold it all came back on, WHAT? Did I waste all that time? Yep think I did.

YD had two garden waste bins instead of just the one, i telephoned just after lunch to see if one could be removed, 2 hours later it was uplifted, think I live in the wrong place, super fast or what?

Hope you had a fun not too messy library day.

Sun is shining but oh my gosh it's bitter.

Went to travel agent this time instead of doing everything online must be the first time for around 20 years, wanted to make sure there are no issues for refunds etc,  YD noticed that they had the wrong date for return, went down next day and everything was sorted. Received stuff at the weekend from them and first page was my booking and next pages were someone else, another phone call and it's sorted, mmmmmmmm makes you think xx

JCJ

Ouchy, Jane! You take care of your poor finger!! 

A hotel on the beach sounds idyllic, Katy. Let's hope it all goes to plan. 

OH has a runny nose so he took a LFT to make sure it's not Covid because he has a dentist appointment tomorrow. Test negative but dentist have cancelled anyway! I've been sooo tired lately I'm wondering if I'm fighting something off too.

Neighbour's son has got Covid - only fairly mild cold symptoms and feeling a bit rough, which is lucky as he has asthma so was worried about catching it. He has no idea how he got it because he's been working from home, as has his wife. They've not even been anywhere, apparently!!

I'm going into school tomorrow, for the first time since before Christmas. I'm dreading what state I'm going to find the library in after more than 6 weeks!

Homemade hot cross buns in the shed. They're a tad solid but very tasty with lashings of "butter" on (low fat spread - the not-4-leaf variety). Also apple danishes: I was very hungry after swimming and couldn't resist them when I went into the "chicken shed" supermarket to get milk. Oh yes, also minted lamb steaks, from last night, with all the usual roast dinner accompaniments and chocolate puddings with raspberries and ice-cream. Nom nom nom. 

katytc

Good journey home was quiet, it's so much better that way instead of being squashed and just too much going on all around arrgh.........

Ouchy Jane, sounds sore, good luck for all appointments. Not too long till your holiday, weeks are just speeding by, can't believe it's March already.

woo hoo for holidays!!

We are, perhaps if all is well, going to Bulgaria, YD has been hundreds of times and really enjoys, I have never been, managed to book a lovely hotel right on the beach which has just been completely refurbished.

Going over to supermarket shortly, only need a couple of things, then to chippie so there will be lots in shed tonight. Yum yum.

Cousins family all have covid, they don't live near each other and didn't see each other over the time period, all doing well, just a little under the weather. Weirdly cousin's partner doesn't have it. xx

GIJaneH

Woo hoo!  Abroad!

Pleased eyes are better and trains OK, and good food in the shed....

Where are you going, when?
We're off to Amsterdam 19th April..

I managed to squash my finger in the loft ladder Sunday - ended up at the Urgent Care centre - bit of bone chipped off.... duly splinted for 6 weeks.   was a bit of a challenge because I'm allergic to plaster...  Have an outpatients appointment next Monday, so we'll see what that brings.

Scan Tuesday...  bloods Friday... and 3 more appointments the week after!  Well looked after I guess...

Take away curry tonight.... in the shed....

JCJ

Yes we had a lovely time. No I wasn't locked out, KTC, OH texted me to say the external door was slightly ajar when he got back so he left it like that and he left the room door unlocked too. As it happened, he was still awake, watching tele, anyway. 

The train trip back was much quieter and uneventful. I love travelling by train when it's like that! I just read my ebook all the way and the journey just flew by. 

Hurrah for holidays. Where "abroad" are you off to?

Turkey & chorizo chilli noodles in the shed. Yum. I saved the chorizos and some turkey, in the freezer, from Christmas. I've kept back enough of the defrosted turkey for sandwiches for lunch tomorrow too. 😁 I love my freezer.

Good news that your eyes are so improved. Must be a huge relief.

I took my last Tapoxyfen last night. After 10 years, it feels like that moment should be celebrated somehow? Now I've just got to stop myself getting anxious now that protection has finished. 

katytc

Hope you weren't locked out JCJ hahaha.

Cake and all other things yummy, thank you. 

Sounds like you have had a lovely time and so glad GD was delighted with the jammies, all that hard work def worth it to see the joy.

Hope also train journey was quieter on the way home?

Abroad holiday booked, just have to wait and see what happens from now til then. Purchased insurance that covers everything with all medical declarations etc. Thought price was fine best to have all situations covered for piece of mind. So kinda woo hoo..........

Eyes have improved greatly, felt as though it was going backwards a few days ago but swelling and redness have gone woo hoo!

Pouring with rain here this morning, house is super messy as GD has opened toy box and there are toys everywhere.............we are not going anywhere so plenty time to clear up, she's not bothered about box now haha. xx

JCJ

Rainbow nearly birthday cake in the shed.

We've had a lovely day celebrating GD'S not quite 3 birthday: soft play at a cafe where the grown up girls had a breakfast and grandparents drank tea (we'd just had cereal, croissants and yoghurt at the hotel) interspersed with GD having a tremendous time clambering and rampaging about. Then back 'home' for birthday cake, nap and presents. The mini mouse pyjamas went down a storm and YD was delighted with the knickers. 😂 Both GD and her bear immediately put the pjs on. Brilliant. She loved her knitted sheepdog too.

YD and DIL have gone out for a meal tonight leaving us to babysit - including putting her to bed. She was golden and settled without too much fuss. Magic Nana did her stuff. 🤗

OH has returned to the "hotel" (rooms above a pub) in a taxi - to stop him turning into a zombie like last time - and there's another one booked for me at 11pm so hopefully the girls will be back. They planned to walk the 2 miles back from the city .... or use the electric scooters that are everywhere here....but it's pouring with rain so we'll see. I hope OH doesn't fall asleep as he's taken the only key and the pub will be shut by the time I get back!! 

JCJ

Glad your eyes are improving. Hope they continue to do so.

No roast dinner tonight but YD made us delicious pulled pork with BBQ sauce, mash & veg so I've put some leftovers in the shed. Also salty crackling. There'll be "nearly 3" birthday cake tomorrow too. Covered in sprinkles and sweet prawns & mushrooms (GD chose the decorations!)

The train and replacement bus service were sooo busy (so much for quiet Sundays!) but luckily we managed to get seats - not our reserved ones on the train as we couldn't get to them (coach A at the back!  and OH can't move quickly....or on a moving train!) - and reserved seats didn't seem to be labelled anyway so there would probably have been someone in them! The bus seemed sooo slow but we got here in the end. 

katytc

Have a fabulously wonderful time with your girls, woo hoo!

Just realised no dinner tonight.................ah well a takeaway methinks??

Eyes are looking def better, thank goodness, there was a huge difference after one day, kinda slowed down but fingers crossed I can get on top of things. Feel as though I'm spending all day long squirting stuff and using heat pads haha.

Brilliant sunshine here, it's cold but beautiful blue skies. xx

JCJ

Grrr! Didn't pick up the rail tickets. I paid for them with my credit card (not enough in the account this close to pension day!) but, as usual, only took my purse, not my whole handbag, to swimming. My credit card is kept separately from my purse for security/emergencies. DOH! I'll have to go back tomorrow to get them.

That'll teach me not to be such a dinosaur? 

It was snailing when I came out of swimming: a mixture of snow and hail with a fierce breeze. Brrrr!

JCJ

I was just composing a post, to ask about your opticians visit, when my phone pinged to say you'd posted, Katy. We seem to be making a habit of posting at the same time. Great minds?? 😁

Start again: I'm glad it was productive. Fingers crossed the anti bs work but at least you have a next line of attack if they don't. 

I've just booked our train/replacement bus service tickets for Sunday. We're only going for 2 nights and the journey back should be all by train. I'll collect the tickets tomorrow: too much of an old fuddy duddy to trust having them electronically! ☺

OH had a difficult day today. He asked me to sort through,  and dispose of, all his car paperwork because it was too painful for him to do....or keep seeing in the file. It was quite upsetting even for me. Finally the reality has hit him. 😥 I have been amazed by how well he's taken giving up driving- bolstered by relief because it was becoming such a strain - but today he became hyper-aware of all the things he can no longer do. He had a little meltdown (and a pep talk from me!) and I think he's a bit better now: certainly looking forward to seeing the girls at the weekend.

I thought I'd better not spring it on him, today, that I'm planning a wee trip away for a couple of days in May. Perhaps not the moment to rub it in that I CAN still do stuff? - (when not held back by his needs or guilt! *feeds alligators*)

Hope you're both doing OK, Jane and Grumpy....and any other silent Benchland visitors!! xx

katytc

No, haven't watched....

Joining you on the soaked to the skin bench arrrgh, came home today and had to put all clothes and coat in washing machine. No thunderstorms or snow just torrential rain and icy wind.

All went well at opticians was there for ages, mostly hanging around, chronic inflammation and swelling, blocked ducts and all glands but eyeballs are fine haha. Antibiotic cream plus all the other stuff if this doesn't work a hospital visit, am hoping I see a difference very soon fingers crossed. Optician was super good.

Holidays have finally been discussed, short break in may, abroad in July and caravan in October. So hopefully will all work out, at least there is a plan now haha.

Hope weather is good for you on Sunday, how long are you going for? Xx

katytc

Tower sounds super scary............

Munching in the shed, thank you, have popped in some chocolate viennese biscuits they are my new favourite haha.

Arrived home safely train was a little late but nothing to do with the weather, thank goodness, we had torrential rain, then wind, then snow, more rain and wind not really any different from the usual here.

Hope you are all doing well seemingly it's thunderstorms and snow tomorrow.

Finally decided to phone docs about my eyes (you have it forever) it's meant to come and go, mine is there all the time despite using all the stuff I'm meant to use, am getting fed up, it's irritating and annoying and still look as though I've been crying for days...........

Anyhoo, spoke to reception and they said I should contact optician, I said optician had written to docs and all my prescriptions come from yourselves, she said oh ok can you send in pics arrrrrgh. Decided to phone optician anyway and within 10 mins received phonecall back and have an appointment tomorrow, woo hoo!

Am hoping I can have an antibiotic that can clear it then continue with the rest of stuff I have to do, we'll see xx

JCJ

Keeping everything crossed that the railway lines are clear of flooding/wind debris by Sunday for our trip to Norwich. 

It looked like a lovely sunny morning, for a change, today, so I planned to go for a walk. First, though, I cleaned the ovens. I loath and detest that job but I promised myself, when we had the kitchen done, that I'd do it every school holiday. It's easier if it's done regularly but still........!! After lunch on the smug bench, I set of up the canal towpath in the sunshine. The wind was a a bit fresh and it was VERY muddy but I'd donned the trusty walking boots so all was fine. Literally 5 minutes into the walk it started raining. Horizontally. Into my face. ☹️ Hastily exited the towpath at the next bridge and came soggily home via the village shop to get milk. I'd not been back in the house 5 minutes before the sun came out again!! Grrrrr!

A medium-sized tree came down, in the park, on Friday, but luckily it fell sideways onto the grass and not across the path so, presumably, no-one was hurt. By today it had all been cleared away. What tree?

Does anyone watch The Great British Throw Down on tele? Last Sunday's episode featured a brilliant abstract self portrait sculpture by a woman who had been through BC. Made me a bit emotional! 

GIJaneH

I'm in the shed if anyone needs me... calorie free cake is too good to miss...

Tree down at the end of our drive/Road on Friday.  No-one could get in or out.  Fortunately there was a tree surgeon in the pub and he came to see if we needed his services.   Win win. It's a private road, so we rang the owner and got her permission.....

In the Great Storm of '87 (or was it The Great Wind?)(vicar of Dibley fans may remember!) my OH was working in a tower block and I was scared for him I remember phoning and he agreed the tower was swaying.  I begged him to come home,  but he explained the tower was designed to sway and said all would be well.  Didn't help much at the , but it is still standing...

Hope you are all safe...

JCJ

I hope everyone is staying safe in this wild weather. Are you snowed in, Katy? 

Everyone's favourite older sister, Jane!! 🤣

We're very breezy at the moment and raining - off and on. I put all loose objects away and stacked the garden chairs and put some bricks on them, yesterday, to stop them making an escape but, so far, it's not too bad. Amber weather warning is in force until 9pm tonight though so it could get worse, but we're right at the edge of the area shown on the Met Office map so we might escape the worst. 🤞🏼Not planning on going anywhere except the chippy later - and, if it's too nasty out, I'll make some instead.

There is a barabrith in the oven and some homemade carrot cake and S********y's special hot cross buns - I'll put them all in the shed along with the fish, chips and mushy peas.

I'm off to watch the women's curling semifinal while I scoff some lunch. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

katytc

Hahaha older sister indeed??? Made me laugh a lot.....

What a lovely surprise though. Glad outing in banana went well.

Made it through fine to YD's just decided to go with an earlier train though there was torrential rain, was kinda lucky as I jumped in a taxi pretty quickly so wasn't drenched, woo hoo.

Then nipped over to shops and YD managed to get me a car ride there and back, fabulous.

Winds were quite rough but sunshine here earlier today, oh so very cold though, brrr can't seem to get warm at all, heavy snow forecast more brrrrr....

There is birthday cake in shed more to come at the weekend. Xx

GIJaneH

Generous Granny!  Well done you 😂

I watched the ice skating... and some of the snow stuff I've never seen before, jump after jump after somersault... good grief!  Bottom firmly on the Benches....

Hope the lido effect is noticeable now.

We had a good trip in the "flying banana" (OH very happy), and I was flavour of the month for the weekend with GD, but I managed it....  Our visit co-incided with a dear friend's birthday (deliberately) but I didn't know when we decided on the date that it was her 80th.  I arranged with her daughter to surprise her for lunch on Friday, and it was a real treat to see her face/the emotion/shock/joy etc... we all joined their larger family "tea and cake" Saturday afternoon, and her daughter had arranged for several other surprise visits too, so it was a fantastic weekend for her, and I was really pleased to be part of it.  That was, until she described me as like her "older sister".... She's 80 and I'm OLDER??????  Teased her about it!

It's been so wet here... dogs and mud..... yuk.... there is a bench in the dry somewhere, isn't there?

Heading for the shed to see what's there....

katytc

Have not watched any...

But have been ice skating due to cold weather here brrrr haha.

Thank you for super yummy dinner.

Oh my gosh was boiled alive sat night with GC haha GS slept on top of duvet, little one was in the middle she slept 12 hours hurrah unheard of.

Am going to ED s later if it's not raining 2 birthdays this week so delivering presents.

Was caught out on sat we went to toy store and GS picked out his presents he was so delighted we proceeded to check out and paid for items I almost choked.....one of gifts was a much higher price than anticipated arrrgh there was no way I could say I'm not paying that. That now means I have to up other 2 GC gifts so they are all the same arrrgh. That'll teach me to be more observant haha xx

JCJ

The Snowboard Cross was fabulous too..... especially the team event.... but there is absolutely no way I would  consider, for even a second, doing anything like that!! 😁

JCJ

Hope the lido effect kicks in soon, Katy, and that you managed to get some rest despite the GC in your bed!!

The "basic caravan" might still be fine if it is where you want to be and with family?

We've just had rump steak, mushrooms, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots and gravy followed by homemade apple pie and ice cream. Yum. Some in the shed as per....

I'm off to catch up on some of the HOURS of recorded Winter Olympics. Loving the curling. I found myself thinking it would be fun to try it and wondering if there was somewhere nearby (unlikely!) until I realised that I'm too scared to even go out of my house when it's even remotely icy let alone deliberately slide about on the stuff chucking great lumps of granite about!! 🤭

katytc

Oh no lots of expense but realistically they are all good things especially the holidays woo hoo!

YD texted me about the holiday with rest of family...............there are now only kinda basic caravans left arrrrrrrrrgh so we will see.

Lido went well, headache only lasted a very short while and no nausea. As it is a slow release am not feeling a huge difference at the moment, have noticed am super tired after even a short trip into town. Not good.

Have eldest GS and youngest GD with me, a sleepover tonight, they have been very well behaved am going off to bed early, it was decided that we are all sharing the same bed haha there are other beds, but no they all want to stay with me, what are they like??

Am off to YD's next week, it's all go haha xx

PS Munched everything in the shed, thank you xx

JCJ

Hope you are still -ve and lido went OK.

Hurrah for good results, Grumpy. I hope the new pain meds are more effective.

Boy racer (mid-life crisis? 😜) OH and motorbiking daughter, Jane? As if you haven't got enough to worry about? 😀

I'm having an expensive day/week. Finally got around to organising a new tyre; it was an "advisory" on the MOT last August!! Ordered it online, expecting to go in and have it fitted today or tomorrow. Earliest appointment next Tuesday at 8:30am! THAT's not happening - I'm never up at that time but especially not with Winter Olympics to watch into the small hours!! I've arranged it for next Thursday after I drop OH off at library. It's cost more than twice what a tyre for "Uncle Fester" used to cost probably because they're bigger on Polo. 🤨 (No jokes about inflation please!)

I have to pay the balance for our March holiday, this week, too, and I've just booked a hotel in Norwich, for 2 nights at the end of Feb, so we can visit the girls. I shall be able to see, in person, their reaction to the pjs, knicks and knitted clothes for GD's birthday. Her big day isn't until 20th March but they will be away then. It turns out they are staying in a cottage IN THE SAME VILLAGE as we are, in the Peak District, the week before us!! Completely accidentally - although I had shown YD our cottage so may be her sub-conscious was involved? Our booking is Friday changeover and theirs Saturday so we're going to meet up for a couple of hours before they start the loooong drive home!

The train journey involves a bus replacement, from Peterborough, on the Sunday, but OH says he will be able to manage that. Still preferable to driving all that way! I think I'll wait and pay for that another week!

I made a sherry trifle on Sunday, for the first time in years. There's some in the shed. Along with homemade dark chocolate coated brownies and some chocolate, salted caramel hot cross buns I "rescued" from the nearly-out-of-date shelf, yesterday, when I went in for milk. 😁

Mugatea time! 

katytc

Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, jammies and knicks are brilliant, very well done you😁

That's a lot of work, your GD will love them.

grumpy happy to hear you are stable, hope these pills work for you.

I didn't know a 4th jab was on the cards just now?? Thought it wasn't happening till August.

Motorbikes arrrrgh, though hope daughter does well with test.

A boy racer, well why not?? hahaha 

Covid has gone from family hurrah, they all were feeling a little yucky but all on the mend. Have been doing LFT's and all negative, lido tomorrow, thank goodness am feeling it, ouchy ouch.

Have youngest GD with me and we have just come back from our jaunt to the shops, for her birthday she received a make up set, she put powder and eye shadow on me earlier and I forgot.................

So have gone out with yellow eyeshadow, looks like I have two black eyes, ah well.

We have the girliest girl ever hahaha xx

JCJ

20220207_225008.jpg

 knickers!! 😀

GIJaneH

Pyjamas look A-MAY-ZING.  Such talent!!!  Hope they are adored (at least for a while!)  I don't think James The Red Engine has been worn....😏  She's at school now, in uniform 5 days a week....

Sorry to hear about the family Covid-dose... what a *****r.....

YD popped up yesterday unexpectedly for the day, which was lovely.  She's preparing to dip her toes back into work sometime this month, after nearly 6 months off with post-Covid PTSD.... and this week, she has a motorbike course and test!  EEEK!!!!  She's a sensible woman, but......  I shall be on the **** Scared Bench!!!

Meanwhile, in the "real world" (???) OH has chosen himself a last "boy racer" car while he still can.  I have to admit it's fun.... and quirky.... and expensive..... and noisy.... and a VERY bright yellow!  He wanted something different.... I hope he loves it..

Pilates soon... ttfn.. see you on the Kn*****d bench!

Guest user
Not applicable

I received a letter telling me I am eligible for a 4th jab/booster this month - I only had the 3rd booster in Nov!

How many are we going to need?

Poppy xx

grumpy

Covid jabs - I had two plus booster, then a letter to say have another one due to my vulnerability.

I think you have to wait for the letter....

grumpy

Joey thinks the pyjamas are wonderful, but he doesn't know how you put them on!!

Clinic went well, everything stable HURRAY.  Just got new pills for pain, not very hopeful, and using CBD oil.

Just watching a good film in front of the log burner  - blissful.

Grumpy xxx

JCJ

mmpj8647-Minnie-PJs-x_1000x1000.jpg

 original pyjamas

20220204_195245.jpg

 Scaled down version. (They fit exactly on the length of my thigh) I wish the embroidery was neater but I have to remind myself that GD is only 3 and she won't care!!

20220204_195028.jpg

 My bear modelling them. I hope they fit Loufy too. 🤞 Creating them has taken HOURS and lots of fiddling about - and sore hands - but I can't stop grinning at the sight of them. Resisting the temptation to send YD a photo: I won't spoil the surprise.

Now to try to figure out how to make him some knickers! 😃

katytc

Jane, hair growth is very interesting...................have no doubt you are still beautiful, white gloves and all. That's def a ballgown and tiara moment.

Glad your results were good and hoping yours are just as good grumpy. Opiods am so against them after trying every tablet under the sun but then again they do work for some.

Great joey is doing well too.

Woo hoo JCJ for having lunch out, nice to do something again.

Perhaps it is all the lunches...............do I buy a cheap secondhand chair? Ideally I would like a new table and chairs but the one I like is £900 already had a look. Think I may just spend a fiver haha.

well, well covid has struck GS first, then YD, then GS's Dad and now GD arrrrrrrrgh. Was meant to be through at YD's but obviously not happening now. Everyone is doing well though which is main thing.

Have my lido next week and have been sent a message saying can I do a LF before I come in? Would be very upset if it came up positive, too ouchy just now arrrgh.

That's also good news about your thumb JCJ xx   

JCJ

Forgot to say: 4th Covid jab?? I didn't know that was a thing. Is that going to be everyone or is it just because the chemo makes you more vulnerable? 

JCJ

Good news about your bloods results, Jane. I hope your clinic appointment went well, too, Grumpy.

I was thinking about white gloves and wondering if they'd help: I had to wear them, as a child, when I had impetigo (I vividly remember hating them because I couldn't suck my thumb! ☺️)

I'm glad Joey's tummy problems are fixed - shame it had to involve expensive food! - and that all the adorable pups have good homes lined up so you're not having to restrain yourself!

Hope you enjoyed your lunch, Katy. Are all these lunches making you so heavy you are breaking your chairs now?? 🤣

I went out to lunch, yesterday, at our local garden centre, with the TA that retired at the same time as me. We had planned to make it a monthly event, but only managed 2 before the pandemic hit! As she has been taxiing her cousin to chemo, she hasn't risked meeting other people, so it was last July that we last saw each other... and that was at at our leaving do afternoon tea at school!! We only had a sandwich and a cup of tea, yesterday, but we were there THREE AND A HALF HOURS!! 😁 Already put next month's on the calendar. Hurrah! 

I've spent most of today sewing Minnie Mouse onto the front piece of a tiny pyjama top. So fiddly but I'm quite pleased with it.... so far. I've had to stop because my hands hurt. The hand sewing aggravates my thumb - which is otherwise mostly absolutely fine: It's more-or-less permanently straight now with just the occasional very painful "lock" (which almost feels like I've dislocated it!! 😳) - and my right hand gets a bit sore too: probably a touch of Arthur.

YD has asked if I can make some knickers for the teddy too. There'll be enough white pj's fabric left to make some - maybe with red trim. 😁

Also, today, I've made Chelsea buns! Never made them before but they've come out really well. I've put some in the shed. Enjoy. 

grumpy

Joey's tummy is much better, due to a few small meals daily with expensive food from the vet. Bless him, he can't hear or see much but his legs, nose and insides are in good order!!

Clinic tomorrow for scan results, I shall be making my usual comments about cancer fatigue on the principle if I don't go on about it, everyone assumes it is no problem.

Had a lovely time with friends, good food, no pressure, and a visit to see the new Labrador puppies. Nine of them and all in fine fettle, 8 black and 1 blonde. They are just delightful, and I remember the first bitch of this line over 50 years ago. Good homes are lined up for them, there is a queue at the farm gate.....

None of the pain pills worked so now on CBD oil at high dose but it does take time to kick in. Next plan would be opiods but don't want to start that yet.

Been very windy here again so keeping away from big trees, we have had tree surgeons all over the place since that big storm and they have worked so hard.

Hope everyone is keeping well and cheerful.

Love

Grumpy

GIJaneH

That's happened to me a couple of times - write a long reply and it disappears!  SO annoying!  I agree about the alternative reactions too - though I never get an email so say anyone's responded?

I've bought white gloves to protect my hands - which help.  I've got to wear one while typing now as well!  The blood test results were all perfect (inexplicable other than prayer) but the side effects are multiplying.  I mentioned a few things "in passing" today, and they are all chemo related.  The gift that keeps on giving....  

I don't lose my hair in this chemo, but now that I'm off all hormonal drugs, I have fine hair growing upwards between one eyebrow and the hair line, across my temple!  WTF?????????

Sitting on the CBA bench, trying to summon up the enthusiasm to go and get my 4th covid jab... and shop...

katytc

Right start again..... Am calmer now I think, don't know what's going on but it's beginning to grate on my nerves.

Jane your trips sound wonderful some things to really look forward to.

JCJ, yours too.

Laughed about man in cafe, if he just had a cold? Hee hee.

Gosh that really sounds like hard work, you will need to post pics when you finish.

Jane ouchy, your poor fingers.

How is your thumb JCJ?

Am out for lunch tomorrow, was also out last week and only managed a sandwich, am back to normal now so something yummy is in order haha.

Have a little bit of an ouchy foot, have sensation of not being able to bend big toe, am assuming it's arthritis, has been like that for a while but is worse when lido wears off.

Short while ago, one of my kitchen chairs fell apart arrrgh, impossible to repair. Something else annoying...xx

katytc

Have calmed 

JCJ

I feel your frustration, KTC. I sent you a hug but then realised you would get an email telling you I thought your post was "awesome", which would no doubt make you even more FF! I didn't think it was awesome, I merely understood your furiousness! 😊

I wish the hug button was just that - a way to send sympathy, empathy, condolence, comfort, celebration or whatever else you might want to actually hug someone for rather than the equivalent of a "like" button on other sites. Sometimes, especially when one has shared sad or scary news, it is neither appropriate nor helpful to be told one's post was awesome! Just a thought. Not wishing to criticise. This site has been - and is - a lifeline to so many of us and I really appreciate all the techies' hard work. 😁