68388members
359828posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any dog lovers? How is your best friend helping you?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Any dog lovers? How is your best friend helping you?

@catokitty wrote:

Have you thought about a rescue dog? Rescue centres will match a dog to your needs and what you can offer the dog, plus the dogs are usually house trained already so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Often dogs have to be rehomed because of changes in their owner's circumstances.   Smaller breeds like terriers like lots of exercise so are great for getting you out and about whereas some bigger breeds need less exercise.  Dogs are such wonderful companions. Also when you are out walking you get to meet other dog owners who like to stop and chat.   I would be lost without my little Jack Russell  

I like Jacks too but it always reminds me of a silly film I do not like "The mask", still the dog there was a lot of fun:) Do they bark a lot? I need something the same size:) 

Highlighted

Yeah I would prefer short legged:) And name will be Fate or Faith:) I absolutely love the names of your ones. Actually I found a really nice dog on one page which  I pretty much feel connected to, but it somehow makes me put the name Gypsy on him:)

Highlighted

Have you thought about a rescue dog? Rescue centres will match a dog to your needs and what you can offer the dog, plus the dogs are usually house trained already so you wouldn't have to worry about that. Often dogs have to be rehomed because of changes in their owner's circumstances.   Smaller breeds like terriers like lots of exercise so are great for getting you out and about whereas some bigger breeds need less exercise.  Dogs are such wonderful companions. Also when you are out walking you get to meet other dog owners who like to stop and chat.   I would be lost without my little Jack Russell  

Highlighted

Such a positive thing, and thank you for sharing. I figure long legs= more active, than short, but I've no real understanding!  A Name! That now is part of the fun even before you have found the perfect match. My moggies (both classic tabbies) are called Toots and Beeps. 

Highlighted

So lovely to see you Stillhere, I think I came upon some of your posts 2-3 years ago, forgive me if I am wrong. Yeah I think I will go for it, you have to me selfish sometimes, up to now I have been trying to please all people around me, parents first, then my husband, may be it is time to think about myself. Hope I will have more years to come to enjoy its company. How have you been? What breed is your new pup?

Highlighted

Hey Kinden English setter is a breed I have never seen anywhere. Probably my knowledge of dogs is not so vast, anyway I am hoping that I will be the one to walk the dog and that is my husband saying that he will have nothing to do with it, but ..........hope nothing bad happens to me, possible if it does he might find some comfort with the dog, do not know.....

Highlighted

It is so ok to speak to us Secondaries and I am pretty sure that no one got offended. Thanks for your advises I highly appreciate that. Will probably search for some rescue centres nearby. Stay cool and good luck in searching let me know how it goes please. Would love to see your bunch of cats too:)

Highlighted

Hi Avrelia. First up I think I should point out I feel a bit bad, in that I saw a thread on dogs and jumped in without realising I was in the 'Secondary' section. I am 'busy' on the forum as I get a lot of comfort from it. 

But I also hope I give some comfort with my posts. But I have accidentally intruded as I'm not 'S'. So sorry if this upsets anyone.

Before all things doggy, I had to laugh at your typo....but moving swiftly on (lol).

I'm more inclined to go for an old dog for lots of reasons. They are not as easily rehomed, I don't have 'back up' and I don't want my cats freaked out with an exuberant puppy. Also already house trained and happy with gentle strolls.

But what works for me is entirely different to others.

I'm planning to visit rescue centres soon, I have only just got written permission from my Lessor that I can have a dog.

I'd be wary of on-line as you hear so much about 'puppy farms' and such. I think 'rescue centre' is definitely the safest option. 

I know from my adopting my cats, both 'rescue' , there is an embargo, especially on young animals nearing Christmas, so they aren't seen as 'Christmas Presents' and obviously you are vetted. I think my local rescue centre will actually help me to make a good choice.

Being very sensible, as you should be, but it's also quite exciting to think that in a while I could have a waggy friend.

Hope you are having a lovely day. X

Highlighted

Wanky I have been thinking about getting a rescue dog too however the once I see seem to be old, like 5-6-7 years of age....It may sound selfish but I will probably not be able to face their death (see how optimistic I am about my condition, lol) so that is why I have been considering getting a puppy as I am still fit and asymptomatic. However I am starting chemo in 10 days time and I do not know how I am going to be in terms of SE. So may be better to wait and see and then get one for Christmas with Gods help. I have been thinking of cross breed like Beaglier but have not made up my mind yet. Have you done your research how do you plan to take it, did you visit any rescue centres or you just do it online?XXX

Highlighted

Hi Avrelia, I'd say go for it! We have always had dogs, they are the pet that is always overjoyed to see you, that don't care how you look, that love you unconditionally, that are cheerful and interact with humans at a greater level than most....just my view, your hamster may be the exception!!!!

The only 2 things I'd advise is that you have another family member that can step in when you feel unwell and that you think through the dogs welfare when you are no longer around.

We had our beloved two dogs pass away of old age almost together a few months ago.It was heartbreaking, the only time I have ever cried in front of a Consultant! We got a new puppy almost immediately and she is the cutest, happiest, naughtiest little bundle of joy!

My hubby takes over when chemo side effects hit though so a puppy may not be a great idea, she is a little dachshund but a very lively one. Good luck with your decision x

Highlighted

We have a medium sized dog (English setter) who is only 16 months, so very young and full of beans. I have not been able to walk him since last Monday when I developed a pulmonary embolism, which means that I am out of breath most of the time (injections daily, working very slowly). Luckily my husband is able to walk him all the time (and sometimes our teenaged children walk him!) so the dog isn't suffering. A dog Is a big commitment, albeit lots of fun too.

all the best

Kinden

Hi Avrelia. Snap! I'm also thinking of getting a small dog for very similar reasons. Big decision really but it feels right. I have two cats ( no hubby) and I truly believe they made a difference to me, as regards comfort and calm through the nightmare. Before BC, I worked long hours and commuted into a city  M to F. New perspective on life now and one good thing has been I am now predominantly able to 'work from home' and enjoy fresh air and greenery, instead of traffic and pollution! 

What breed are you thinking of? Really interested in your thoughts. I would prefer a rescue dog; a wee old soul in need of a nice home. Thanks for posting. X

Highlighted

Any dog lovers? How is your best friend helping you?

Hi all have been thinking recently alongside with making tough decisions about my therapies to get a dog. I live only with my husband but I have more love in my heart to share. I am thinking of getting a small dog so I can manage with taking it out for a walk and will be motivated to do it. What are your thoughts about that are you managing with your pets?