Did you mean: 

Being offered Eribulin for chemo treatment

14 REPLIES 14
KB

Re: Being offered Eribulin for chemo treatment

Thanks funny face for your help.  Xx

KB

Nicky - Thanks for the feedback. I also gave myself the injections when I was on Paclitaxel in 2014 - ŵill contact oncologist. And check out the other thread. x 

Community Champion

Hi KB

Eribulin absolutely hammered my neuts/wbc and I think I would have had every dose of every cycle delayed if I hadn’t had gcsf injections! I had to have them when I had FEC back in 2008 so was used to giving them to myself, funnily enough when I had docetaxel in 2013 my wbc stayed pretty high and in fact got higher over the course of the treatment - strange as I know docetaxel can affect them badly as well. It’s not unknown to have gcsf injections so I’m surprised if your oncology team think you should just wait and see each cycle for the wbc to recover on its own. It would make it a very drawn out cycle each time and you’d have to ask the effectiveness of it if the drug isn’t given according to protocol. The first cycle I had the neuts didn’t recover in time for the next (day 8) dose so I ended up not having it at all and went straight onto cycle 2 ,day 1.

Check out the main Eribulin thread in the Treatmwnts and Medical Issues section (its currently right near the top of the page in that section) and maybe ask on there. Most of the ladies currently on Eribulin use that thread so you should get some other opinions not just mine as I’m no longer on it (some others are a lot older and therefore the advice might have changed since posts were written).

Good luck and btw once I had started on the gcsf injections I didn’t miss a dose on any cycle.

Nicky x

Community Champion

KB, Here in the states they give you neulast a injections. Not just for first line treatment. If they do decide to give them to you ask your Dr about taking Claritin (loratadine) a couple days before and after to reduce side effects. FF

KB

Hi Nicky  I have had the first cycle of Eribulin - was to have First injection of  second cycle today but white cell neuts too low. Asked for blood booster like neuralsta  was told those injections are only offered for first line chemo. I had EC and Paclitaxel in 2014. Nurse said they prefer my body to recover naturally before giving next dose- rather than forcing it with a boosting  injection. 

That was chat with BC  nurse on the phone today. 

Will ask about Injections between the doses when I see the doctor next week. Any tips on improving bloods gratefully received. thanks KB 

hi Charlie

I was on Eribulin for 7 cycles in 2016 for liver and lymphoma. It was my 5th type of chemo, and I've 'done' all the oestrogen blockers when my cancer was oe pos- its now triple neg.

Eribulin knocked back the aortic and liver tumours sufficiently for me to have a chemo holiday for most of 2017 and I started back at the beginning of May as CT showed liver now CLEAR but aortic tumours above acceptable sizes.

SEs are minimal compared with other chemos, I suffer mainly from fatigue.

Good luck, keep focused, welcome the drug in to do its stuff (and its the quickest treatment to have!)

xx

Hi Charlie
I was on eribulin for 12 months before it stopped working no problems it is the easiest chemo you will ever have but since having that I am now on docetaxel I have had pacltaxol as well in the past plus all the hormone treatments apart from falodex I am 8 years in with secondaries 18 months with liver mets which shrank on eribulin as did all those in my chest wall till it stopped working I am now coming to the end of docetaxel and then ct to see if it has worked
So hang in there

Kay
Community Champion

No change usually means stable to my Dr. No worse, no better...hanging in there. Maybe you could get your Dr to clarify. Hugs. Ff

Highlighted

hi ff useful to see this list you have psoted. i'm halfway through a 6 month course of Eribulin and psychophosamide. had vist yesterday to consultant who said no change. extensive bone mets and soft tissue mets estrogen positive. not enough time for her to explain this but it sounds to me as if it's not working after this gruelling treatment although she wants me to continue. i felt pretty much inconsolable last night but have now kicked myself back towards acceptance.

do you know how bad no change is?

thanks and love to you

ramade xx

Community Champion

Charlie, Here is a list of chemos for metastatic breast cancer: capecitabine, carboplatin, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, epirubicin, gemcitibine, paclitaxel, vinorelbine, abraxane. Plus hormonal. Hoping you might find something in there that you haven't had. FF

Hi Nicky, thank you for your response it is very helpful. I will take a look at the link you mentioned. I am still trying to make a decision on what I am going to do but you have given me food for thought. Take care. 

Charlie. X

Community Champion

Hi charlie65

I was on this chemo last year and had 8 cycles.  It shrank my liver mets and keot my bone mets stable.  I also have has many different treatments over the years, going beween hormone and chemo (with a little side line onto Herceptin which is another story!)

There is a popular thread in the 'Treatments and medical issues' part of the secondary BC forum and you should have a look at it.  Its called something like 'Chemo buddy needed, about to start Eribulin' or similar. Many ladies stay on this chemo until it stops being effective, I jst came off it because the oncologist where I got my second opinion thought I should but it was still working fine after 8 cycles.

It's very doable and also very quick to administer - about 5 mins! However it obviously takes longer in total as you have to get an IV line set up, flush and flush after etc.

Main SEs are hair thinning after first infusion although it does tend to grow back over time.  I also lost my eyebrows and eyelashes with thuis chemo but hadnt done on any of the others I'd been on.  My neuts were also hammered but I used to have the GCSF injections to boost the wbc in between the two doses.  Each cycle is made up of a split dose, one on Day 1 and the second on Day 8.

Anyway have a look at the thread and good luck with the chemo, its a very doable one.

Nicky x

Thanks for that, I have had a second opinion and because of The chemo I have had this is the last in chemo line that is available.
Community Champion

Charlie, I have never had this chemo but have had many. I would go for a second opinion. There a lot of treatments in the doctors bag. Sometimes you can revisit drugs that have failed in the past if it's been awhile.  Hugs! FF

Being offered Eribulin for chemo treatment

Hi, I am new to the Forum. I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in October 2011 with mets in liver, bones and right lung. Over the last 6 years I have been on numerous treatments going between hormone therapy and chemo. I had a recent scan that has shown that the mets in my liver are increasing and at oncology appointment last week was told my last port of treatment was Eribulin. If I choose to do nothing I am on borrowed time. Is there anyone who is on this chemo and have the results been successful. How did you cope with side effects.