327608posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Avrelia, I was diagnosed primary Dec 13 and secondaries to liver and spine soon after. I had EC chemo too then tamoxifen and denosumab. At that time I sought surgery but was denied it, then seeking a second opinion had more scans which showed progression so I had docetaxol chemo. After that I had letrozole, and that keeps me stable. I sought surgery again and had a mastectomy July last year. The scar is horrid but less horrid than seeing a diseased breast. I'm monitored with blood tests and the last ones showed an increase in liver enzymes. Last Monday in the bath I suddenly saw a huge red rash like area over the scar and thought the worst, but later found out that it was just bruising even though nothing had happened to cause a bruise.

But despite all I'm very fit and healthy and the surgery was simple with no muscle taken no nodes taken and no need for radiotherapy, so I've had minimal side effects from surgery. Long story but I'm happy I had surgery But in looking through posts beforehand surgery is not often given to people like us who get primaries and secondaries found at the same time. Good luck in whatever you decide!

PS onc seems happy that although a scan coming up may show progression in the liver as otherwise I still have very good liver function I will most likely stay with another type of hormone treatment.

Hi all, just wondering how many of you are in the same situation as me, I have been diagnozed July 2016 with primary and secondary at almost the same time, had 6 cycles of EC chemo, now on Tamoxifen and Zometa. I have had no surgery yet, and my oncologist is still thinking about that. Haveyou had surgeries, and what are the pros and cons of having one, what do you think. I know it may sound stupid, and we are not doctors and everyone's cancer is unique, but I do really need to listen to your experiences/opinions. Thanks

Janette...so pleased to hear your news.

Carolyn..hope you are feeling better today and hitting the chocolate as normal. xx

Hello ladies
Drippy nose not too bad today . Yikes horror but I didn't get up to mid day ..not like me !!
No Rudolph nose either so pound shop toilet rolls must be soft !!
Hope everyone else is feeling tickity boo ..i promise no more moaning about my cold here as most of you ladies have more serious problems to deal with !!
Hugs all xxxxx

Yep, you are definitely sick, Carolyn - not fancying chocolate!!!!!! Oh the horror!!! Terrys choc oranges will go out of business without you to support them! Hugs, and get well soon. Send hubby over for some more soft paper handkies - toilet paper is no good - you can't have a decent sneeze or nose blow with that! Sorry, probably TMI!

Hugs. Barton.x

Community Champion

Carolyn, You sure know how to party!! I truly don't want to join you though! I see a glow is that Rudoph?!?! No, it's Carolyn's nose! Feel better soon! FF

I know I'm poorly ..haven't eaten any choc for two days ..and I've got a good supply too !
Just crumpets with thick Cornish butter ..yum . Probably have a heart attack now with the extra fat !!
Off to bed now with lemsip, cough lozenges and toilet roll ....what more could anyone wish for ..ha ha.
Carolyn xxx

Hi Carolyn Sorry you are poorly. Keep warm, don't exert yourself and eat chocolate oranges?? you never know, they might have have something beneficial in them. Virtual germ free hugs B xx

Community Champion

Carolyn, so sorry....I know what you mean about bring aftaid to sneeze! I have hairlne rib fractures and we never know do we?

hope you feel better soon. Hugs

Moijanxx

Community Champion

Achoo!!! Feel better soon!

Hiya ff
I used up a box of the posh tissues a few days ago ..so using toilet roll now! I blame my son as he had a stinker cold ..didn't come into the house ..but delivered his dog and I bet the dog was carrying the germs somewhere !!
I tempted fate by saying to my sister last week ..I take vit c everyday and have been cold free for years !!
Aagh tissue !!
Xxxx
Community Champion

Feel better soon Carolyn!  I hope you have some extra soft tissues! I like the ones with lotion!  Curl up with a blanket and a bag of chocolates! I've been lucky too, no cold in four years! I don't ever remember missing even a year without a cold! I don't know how I've gone this long without one. I work in a germ factory and hubby is always getting nasty ones. I'm not bragging though..don't want to wish it on myself!

Thanks Barton.
I haved texted you but I'm just being a wuss and its nothing to what the other ladies are going through here with their treatments.
I need to pull on my big girl pants and grow up !!
Carolyn xxx

Carolyn, you poor lamb! Have txted you. Please get well soon - we need another coffee meeting! Stay warm.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hi Carolyn, aww sorry to hear you have the dreaded lurgy! You keep cosy on the sofa with the "poorly blanket" hey and you know what they say.....feed a cold starve a fever, so every cloud 😆😆
Hey FF, I'm always up for a pub lunch!
Hugs Janette xx

Hello ladies
Hope everyone is enjoying a nice lazy Sunday morning ...I've not been on for a few days as I have a cold ..first one in three years so guess it was my turn to get one !!
Eating like a gremlin ..but afraid to sneeze to much as I might break a rib or something !
Lemsip and a toilet roll are my best friends at moment !!
Xx☺☺
Community Champion

Jeanette, Maybe you, Chris and Ladybird could have a hospital and pub meet up!  FF

Community Champion

Chris and Ladybird, Sounds like a calm visit with no surprises! Going to lunch is always a wonderful treat. My hubby and I both work and are off Tues. and Thurs. We enjoy going out for a treat on those days instead of during the busy weekends! Good luck with the scan and results. Try not to suffer too much with the notorious scanxiety. It gets us all! FF

Hi Chris, glad to hear all went well at the Christie, I cannot fault this hospital and all the staff they are wonderful arn't they! I had my CT there 2 wks ago and everything went like clockwork. (Didn't get whisked off for lunch afterwards though! 😀  good luck with results, please let us know how she gets on. 

Hugs Janette x

Hi Ladies
Chris checking back in for Ladybird.
Visit to Christies Salford yesterday went quite smoothly. Onc asked if any pain and reckoned her leg pain was due to sciatica.
Blood sample taken and ct scan booked....what more can you ask!
Whisked her away for a nice pub lunch in Cheshire.
Good to hear the good news from others.
Thanks for the comfort.
Xx
Community Champion

woo hoo! Great news Jeanette! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Happy Heart

Community Champion

Getting my horn out for  Janette! Toot, toot, toot!! I want chocolate too!! FF

Janette - such good news! Brilliant - so pleased for you! Good news is always welcome.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hello Maldives, sorry to hear you had a wobbly yesterday. I hope everything goes OK tomorrow though.

I think Moijan has pointed you in the right direction for the Cape thread.

Hugs. Barton.x

Thanks Carolyn, oh I think a spot of chocolate is definitely called for! 😆😆
Janette xxx

Whoop whoop ..my letrozole / choc buddy ..brilliant news bet u r going to celebrate later tonight !!
It's always nice to hear good things with treatments .
Carolyn xxxx

Stable Mabel reporting in! 😆😆 all good with CT and markers in normal range!
Hugs Janette xx

Jeanette
All the best for your scan results . Aagh such a late appointment ..why don't they do them first thing in morning !!
Maybe a bit of retail therapy ..nice latte and a Danish pastry would help today before you go !!
Hugs xxxxx

Hi Moijan

My feet were terrible after FEC-T the 1st time round, no toenails, hard skin and corns. In the end my GP referred me to an NHS chiropodist which has been a godsend. Especially as since mets I can't seem to bend enough to cut my (now regrown) toenails. Has taken about 3 years to get them looking like human feet again!

Now I keep up with Chiropody every 2 months, a pedicure alternate months, reflexology every fortnight, in fact any excuse to whip em out and have something done.

Coupled with a bit of cream every now and then they've stood up to Cape pretty well, so far, fingers crossed.

Community Champion

Hi Moijan and other ladies with toenail problems! I remember when I was on Cape a few ladies started mentioning that their big toe nails were really bad and ingrowing. I thought it was just me. I think all said it was their left toe but can't remember now it was so long ago. My toe nails have never really recovered from Cape followed shortly by Taxotere and then don't get me started on how Herceptin seems to thin my fingernails so they are like razors - I regularly slice myself! And this is with very short nails as they don't grow long anymore before they split. Toenails tend to be horrible and thick, especially the big toe nails. Sorry for the description but you are not alone. I don't know if any of you remember watching the original Dumber and Dumber film (my 2 daughters loved it so we've all seen it many times). When Lloyd was getting pedicured for his date night they used an electric sander on his clawlike toenails - that's how I feel mine are now - but at least it makes me laugh if I'm trying to cut them.

Nicky x

Morning ladies, oh why does the "onc appt phobia" not get any easier??? Feel like running for the hills 😨 although I got fantastic TM results I do know they don't always go hand in hand with CT results! My appt isn't until 3.45 this afternoon so got to try and keep busy til then!!!

Good luck to those having scans / results and new treatments. 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Community Champion

Community Champion

Hi Maldives/Sue,

i dont recall talking about toenails...but as you brought it up...mine are quite awful! Awful toenails on 

Awful Feet!  And like you, my fingernails...well one thumb...is split down the middle...have to keep applying clear polish to stop it catching on things....maybe I should put some on my toenails too!

actually...am I the only one who cant easily cut my toenails any more?

i have dreadful probs every now and then with an ingrowing big toe nail?

I kind of nursed myself through it last time by putting a paultice on it, but long term I need help.

i am quite ashamed of my toenails/feet anyway!

Hi moijan
Got the toenail thing mixed up. I thought it was donba 58 lol. Sorry donna.
I know it seems like a never ending circle.
But thats what it takes to keep me alive so i just get on with it. Its funny when they said my last scan everthing was stable, i knew it wasnt. Thats why he did all the tests and i was right. It pays to speak up if you dobt agree with something.
Thanks for the support
Huggs sue xx

Thanjs barton.
I couldnt find the cape thread. What is it under? Sue xxxx

Thanks for the info is it donna. I cant see everybodies names on my phone. Its all blurred ir its my eyesight lol. Thats just old age lol. Are you havibg trouble with numbness too. My lips gone now and my teeth. They are hoping the cape may take the pressure off the nerve being effected. I hope so. Didn't start cape today. Had a bit of a wobbly day start it on friday now.
Look after yourself and thanks for takibg the time to write to me. Sue xx

Hi funny face. I dont know why i was taken off the cape. I think my onc is still trying the hormone blockers but they just arnt working.
Ive taken letrezole tomoxifen so far. Ive had vec and cape chemo. I had a good run until my first leg op. It seemed to stir up the cancer. I might go back on letrozole after tge cape unless he keeps me on it. The royal marsden is a shot in the dark i think. Fingers crossed. My nails are terrible too. They split right down the finger and my toes.
Take care xxx

Hello Maldives, thanks for getting back to us to let us know how you are getting on - it is a relief to hear from you. I won't go in to the details about Cape, because you have said you have previously done it, so you know all the tips and tricks. However, please join us for a chat on the Capecitabine thread if you are up to it.

Good luck with the chance of getting on a trial - hopefully you will be considered a good candidate.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hello Janette, lovely to see you back, but can quite understand you taking a rest from the Forum for a bit - it can be necessary sometimes.

Can't get over your wonderful TM results! That is so impressive! Enjoy the good news and celebrate.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hi Maldives, I read your post. I've been at the Marsden for nearly 11years it was just the hospital they sent me to at the beginning. I consider myself very lucky being there. Not sure about trials but they are always at the cutting edge of treatment . I'm going back on Taxol from next Wednesday which I'm not looking forward too !! Need to start to preparing myself...

i was on Cap for 3 and a half years an it worked really well for me. Like you my hands suffered a bit but my feet were the worst. A friend bought me a cream called Udderly Smooth Cream . They told me about it at the Marsden .. I think the extra care one was developed at docs request to help patients with sore feet . Sounds crazy when u write it !!! Sorry if it's something you already know about but I found it helped.

i know what you mean re feeling numb ... I just keep hoping it's a very bad dream .... if only....

big hugs to all of us xx

Community Champion

Maldives, Happy to see you posting! I figured with everything going on you might just pack your bag, catch a ride and go off on an adventure! Gosh, how I'd love too! Now back to reality! I think Nicky had a great idea on the oral bone strengthener. Hope that could work for you! I was wondering why you were taken off of capecitabine? I hope it is easy on you this  time too! Best of luck with the Royal Marsden! FF

Community Champion

Janette, Welcome back! It's OK to take a break! Most of the time I love coming here to chat, to be supportive, or understood!! Other times when when we lose one of our "love bugs" I want to scream, stomp my feet and bury my head in the sand so deep my bottoms up. I sure hope I have some nice knickers on if I manage to get my bottom up!! Thinking I need a nice hot pink pair with hearts! FF

PS: Good luck Thursday! One would think with markers that low that your results would be amazing! We still always have that shadow if doubt! I try to walk away after my scan, brush my hands, say scan done, it will be what it will be! Then I go out for a late morning breakfast. I have git better over the years at thus, unless I feel a difference then it's a whole different story!

Hi girls - need your help! I went to a BCC young women forum and they told us about a charity that would help for having weekend away or a bit of a besak in general.   Cant remember the name!!!! Can anyone help? Trying to see if we can go awway for a couple of days just to change the air after the dx. Thanks xxxxx

Community Champion

Hi ladies

Welcome back Janette - we all need to take a break at times so there's never a reason to apologise. Just come back into the family 😊 Good luck with the scan results but hoping that the fact your TMs are so low that you are not stressing too much.

Maldives. Sorry that you had a long time between scans, I had the same when I was very stable for about 4 years, ie no changes whatsoever. I asked for a CT as I had some pain in my hip and my oncologist was go smacked to see progression in my bones and also into my liver. A CT will show changes in the bone (or maybe it's only the newer machines?) and mine are always reported on even though the emphasis these days is how my liver is doing. Our hospital only uses bone scans for diagnostic purposes, not for checking how treatments are working so I suppose all places have their own ways of checking.

Just a quick question about your bone strengthen. I see you are going back onto zometa, did this stop for a while? Also, have you considered having Denosumab instead. It would mean not having to have an IV every 3 weeks, just a very quick (less than 1 minute!) subcutaneous injection. Just a thought as you will be on oral chemo rather than an IV one you'd only be going into hospital to be hooked up to have the bone juice.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi Maldives, have bern reading your posts with interest......am so sorty about your jaw / face problem....you have enough to contend with, but you do sound a little chirpier....I know things cant be at all easy xx

these awful spells, often go round in circles dont they...and then a little gem before another round xx have my toenails ( those that have survived) crossed for you and hope things are on the up and up

love,Moijanxx

Hi carolyn
Thanks yes im usually a happy positive person but ive just had a low period 1st since dx so not bad. Thanks for being on the other end for me.
I had to ask for my bone scan as my tumor markers were sailing up and scan said i was stable. I knew somwthing was up. I can tell when the cancer is on the move. He was shocked when he saw the scan. The thing is the ct scan only looks at the organs, they tend to ignor the bones because they are not life threatening. As long as you feel ok you dont need to worry about it. They dont like putting radioactive dye in you either unless they have to. Take care hugs xxxx
Highlighted

Jeanette
I haven't let the side down ..ate a Terrys choc orange today and I know Barton is keeping things going too as we were together yesterday buying walnut whips in packets of three !!
Ha ha xxxxx

Hi Carolyn, how are you keeping my fellow choco-ohlic?? 😀

No don't seem to do bone scans anymore, think iv had 4 since dx 3 years ago. My onc told me that they don't tend to do them so much now. 

Hugs J xxx 

Hiya sue / Maldives
Been waiting for you to post and let us know the results from oncologist ...well back on cape but you have had it before so will be able to prepare for the sore feet thingy again.
Don't forget the cape thread as lots of ladies there to support you ..just useless info but I read they are using cape and another chemo for pancreatic cancer now and having good results as it has a very low survival rate so those cape pills must be the good guys !!
Anyway ..you sound a lot more tickity boo now so hugs xx