cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Srilata, Its good that you spoke to your doctor. I'm sorry your taste is messed up, but at least nothing sinister is causing it!! FF

Highlighted

Thanks . it feels good to be sharing with you. My doctor said the loss of taste is because of the medicines.
Highlighted

Im confused .com ...as I'm a townie through and through ..I thought Jamal was a lamb but looking again ..it's a baby donkey then ?
Glad u got rid of old sofa ...moijan ...I'm really into clearing out ..just dumped some old bobbly jumpers and leggings ..and some old boots !!
Not showing off but my house is like a flower shop today ..got five vases full but hubby will be moaning about the lilies as they make him sneeze !!
Highlighted

Natalie,  that sounds very exciting....the delivery man! How long has that been going on? 

I occasionally ( rarely) get flowers, but then, I havent got a tame delvery man, eitherxx

ive decided, what I really need is a baby donkey! Could keep the grass short and manure the flowers etc.

am hiding from oh just now.....as I decided, time to dump an old sofa at the dump , but would you believe the fuss and all the 'but we wont get it out of the door' ' the dump shuts at four oclock' 'im not leaving it outside overnight' you never heard such a fuss and faff, really.......

The sofa made it down the stairs, out of the door and to the dump by four! But only because I kept telling him to shut up and stop stressing! So now I feel as if ive had an overdose of oh!

Mx

Highlighted

Hello srilata, welcome, but sorry you have had to join us. We're a friendly lot though, and will help in any way we can. I'm afraid I can't help with the loss of taste and appetite - sorry. Someone who has good advice should be along shortly, though.

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hello PMOL, I hope your back is OK after your injection, and no spasms (they are awful, aren't they?).

Lovely to hear from you, Corey - and he is just lovely! I don't know how you cope, living on a farm. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid (too much like hard work for me!).

Hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hello Pippin, sorry to hear about your hip pain! I hope the beer helped!

Waving back, ff!

Sorry Carolyn, I thought you said your scan was in April - or is that your Onc appointment for the results? Oops! Glad it went so smoothly - they usually are quite efficient in that department, aren't they?

Hope everyone else is getting the sun like we are - it's absolutely gorgeous in Devon today (and yesterday, in fact). I hope your snow has finally gone, ff.

Yes, Carolyn, looking forward to coffee and cheese scone tomorrow! I wouldn't miss that for the world.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Srilata, Welcome! Taste is effected by many  different treatments. I do think most people get a metallic taste. I haven't heard many people complain of no taste. Are you losing weight because your not eating as we because of no taste? I don't know of any tricks to help the no taste. If this is the reason f r weight loss you are just probably have to eat regardless of taste. If you don't know why you are losing you definitely need to speak to your oncologist.

Corey, Jamal is adorable. He is sure to lift your spirit. Best medicine! Is he a miniature donkey?

Happy to sed more activity on here!  Happy Mothers Day all. Hope the chocolates and flowers are rolling in. Our Mothers day isn't celebrated until May. May 14th this year. Our Fathers Day are both June 18th. Have a great day! FF

Highlighted

Hello shrilata
Welcome to the forum and we hope you find a lot of kindness and support to help you.
Arnt u lucky ...loosing weight ..the less I eat the fatter I get !!
Seriously ..I do not have any medical advice for you and its important you chat to your oncologist if you are worried about weight loss which you can't explain ....
You might be able to find some old threads about weight loss if you do a search which might help .
Hugs xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Jeanette
Yes ..no brownie points for being absent but its that time of year to be busy .
I've got house ful so no cleaning for me today ..I'm cooking too ..don't like the commercial mothers day thing eating out either.
I've got loads of stuff ..chocs flowers and even from granchildren so being spoilt .
So happy mother's day to everyone ...
That cute photo of Jamal has certainly activated this thread !!
Xxx
Highlighted

Morning ladies, sorry I'm also guilty for being absent for a few days. Busy doing up the bedrooms now our daughter has flown the nest!
How beautiful is this weather, it's been like a summers day here 🌞🌝I have yet another wash load on as I post!
Aww loving Jamal he's gorgeous!
Happy Mother's day all hope you all have a lovely day! I've just received some flowers from the delivery man, got son and daughter here for dinner today (think I got that wrong some how! ) hahaha, they did offer to take me out but I don't enjoy going out on mother's day it's like a production factory and rushed, I'd rather just relax at home with my babies!
Hugs Janette xxx
Highlighted

Hi 

Jamal is so cute .My love to him.

I am new to this group.

Had bone met from primary invasive ductal cancer diagnosed in 2014. I am on hormone therapy and zoledronic acid  for 9 months. I have a loss of appetite and no taste, Is this normal side effect ? Can anything improve this becuse I am loosing weight.  

srilata03

Highlighted

Hi 

Jamal is so cute .My love to him.

I am new to this group.

Had bone met from primary invasive ductal cancer diagnosed in 2014. I am on hormone therapy and zoledronic acid  for 9 months. I have a loss of appetite and no taste, Is this normal side effect ? Can anything improve this becuse I am loosing weight.  

srilata03

Highlighted

Hi Corey   lovely to hear from you again, hope you are OK.  What a lovely little fellow - thank you for sharing. 

Hugs B xx

Highlighted

Hello all
Nice to see some postings again here on the thread !!!
Corey ..that is really the aagh factor ..I just want to cuddle Jamal ..will think of him when I pass through on my way to bude next time.
Bet u r glad the chemo is over now and you now have some hair growing again. Doesn't it take a long time to grow a fringe though?
Hugs xxxx
Highlighted

Aaaah
Highlighted

hi everyone sorry i haven't posted for a long time just been busy with things on the farm and thought perhaps you would like to see this little chap two weeks old now. he is gorgeous,named him jamal. a happy mother day everyone tomrrowxxIMG_1011.JPG

Highlighted

Hi girls - think everyone's been out enjoying some rays! Beautiful day in Pembrokeshire 😊☀️☀️☀️
Had my 3 zoladex yesterday and feeling a bit sorry for myself (just hate the injection bit 😒) And back a bit sore today but praying for no spasms.
Good luck with results ladies! Think I have mine sometime in April 😲
Pippin - cold beer/cider/glass of wine sound great!!
Xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Hi Carolyn

Hope your scan results are good, will think about you during the waiting period. I went in early for a bone scan on Thursday. Discovered on Wednesday that i could have had a hospital parking permit for the past year. Must read the small print. Amazing sunshine today, did loads of washing (including my daughter's)

hugs to all B xx

Highlighted

Hello ladies
Was feeling like Billy no mates here lately ..
Pippin enjoy your beer and maybe a tube of Pringles too ...
FF
Hope your scan results are good ..mine arnt to beginning of April ..squeaky bum time again.
Xxxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies, Yes it's been quiet! It is warm here today, but the sun is hiding! The snow is almost gone. I really wish the warm days would stay. Carolyn hope that cold disappears and you get good scan results. Hoping your appointment is early April to discuss your teeth. Pippin, I don't like beer but a wine sounds good. Waving at you Barton! I have a scan on Tues. results on Thurs.!! FF

Highlighted

Hi Carolyn and everyone else

No such luck with the bunjee jumping, strictly not allowed to do any sports! Sat at home on pc, my hip even hurts sitting down. Thinking about painkillers or a beer. I think I will go for the beer.

Weird how with stage 4 we seem to break the rules. I would never drink on my own but do so now.

Everyone is kind to me and that somehow sometimes gets my goat then I feel bad about it.

Pippin

Highlighted

Hello Barton
Yes have a cold but hopefully better by Monday for our coffee meet up.
Had my scan Wednesday ..couldn't believe it ..empty ..straight in and out and home within a hour including travel !! I love the nhs !!
Nanas magic soup lovely but added too much turmeric and it overtook the flavour ..whoops.
Yes ...quiet here ..I give up as I feel I'm only posting to myself ! Everyone must be busy bungee jumping and gardening !!
Hugs xxxx
Highlighted

Hello Carolyn, sorry to hear you have a cold. How are you feeling today? Better, I hope. The soup sounds nice - haven't seen it though.I didn't realise you had a hospital visit this week - I hope all was well. I expect you told me, but chemo brain (or age!), is definitely kicking in!

The round yellow ball in the sky has arrived! And it is so warm here in Devon today - it's been beautiful!

It is so quiet on the Forum lately - where is everyone? I only hope it's so quiet because everyone is feeling well, and not the reverse.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hello ladies
Well hope some of you have seen that yellow circle in the sky today ..we in Devon are cold and wet so it's about time we saw it.
Well I have another cold ..achoo ..sure I caught it at the hospital on Wednesday !!
Anyway I decided to make "nana soup" from the Tesco ad on tv ..never attempted anything like it before ...it's lovely ..worth all the washing up ...and would u believe it ...I'm being very healthy !! Only one lot of choc in a week and no McDonalds for a month !!
Hugs xxx👍
Highlighted

Hi girls - sorry but I've been able to sleep through the night so haven't been posting. Plus I've also left all the painkillers (seemed to be on a cloud/fog) and loving my clear head and feel that I can actually recognise the pain as either muscular or not. Fear not, I go around with my little pharmacy in case a spasm/major pain hits. 😉
I've gone back to work this week - just for mornings... need to try to find some routine and think it helps everyone...
Much love and you are all in my prayers
Xxxxx
😘🌷🌷🌷🌷☀️☀️☀️
Highlighted

Hello pippin
I have no experience of a hip replacement but had a femur nail put in to support my rotten hip !!
I think hip replacement is quite a quick recovery ..in hospital they get u walking the next day after op !! I think its about six weeks of physio and walking on crutches ..the hip has to be quite good for the replacement hip ..mine was too far gone !!
I saw people in their 80s having the op so if u are young ..it will be a quicker recovery .
Like u I prefer not to take pain killers if I can manage without .
Xxx
Highlighted

Hi all

Bit quiet here.

I understand the reluctance to start painkillers. My hip doesn't bother me much until I put any weight on it. I guess I probably would walk better if I were doped up but so far I have valued a clear head over a good gait. It's over a month now since rads and my mobility is improving now.

Does anyone have any experience of hip replacement? Like I wondered how long before you get home, how long before walking unaided, how long before driving and generally was it worth it?

Best wishes

Pippin

Highlighted

Thank you for your quick reply Nicky, definitely going to ask to be kept on with zoladex not comfortable with stopping it this year.
Also going to question my denosumab with her too, can't have anymore rads in my hip because I had a blast there 3 years ago, also I am extremely stubborn when it comes to painkillers won't take anything stonger than co-codamol 15/500mg....feel like I'm giving in to "the beast" if I do!!!
Hugs Janette xxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Janette

I agree it's a worry about the menopause as none of us know when we would naturally go into it therefore it's a bit of an assumption that at 50 you will be! After my primary treatment of zoladex for 2 years and hormone treatment my oncologist was sure I would be in the menopause - this was at 41, so a bit of a radical assumption! Of course when I stopped zoladex my periods came back and I think that's what caused my secondaries to develop sooner than they would have done. Having had chemo when I was dx with secondaries I made sure I was post menopausal by having my ovaries ablated (surgery ie the general anaesthetic wasn't an option due to heart problems). It may be worth you exploring this if you feel you want to be definite or ask to continue on zoladex if you are ok with carrying on, I don't think they can stop you.

As to Denosumab being 8 weekly it seems to vary between hospitals/consultants - as do so many of our treatments! I'm happy with the 6 weekly schedule I'm on, mainly moved to as I'm on 3 weekly other treatments so it fits in with those. I thought at first, when I went from 4 weekly to 6 weekly, I would feel more achey as I was convinced I used to ache just before my injection, but I've not had any real changes to my achey-ness at all - still ache a lot! Maybe as to move to 6 weekly and see how that suits you? Also you have said on some other posts how you are struggling at times with the pain, you could mention this as well? I hope you're not worried about it as you have had a recent scan but if it's affecting you maybe there's a pain killer you could take if it's particularly bad, or even have a shot of rads if it's always in one place? Anyway, take care.

Doodles - quick note for you - the lingo is very weird at first but you will get used to all of our abbreviations, but, again, ask us anything, we are happy to explain and we don't bite - promise!

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi Doodles,
Although I have bone mets for three years now, My oncologist tends to use my liver mets as a recovery measure, so I haven't really paid the bone mets as much attention....what I did want to share tho, is that when I see him, I type out all my questions on my iPad in advance and just hand it over to him.... saves me having to read them out and I just relax and listen to his replies.( if you prefer you could write your list and hand it over) it just ensures that no questions get missed out!

I expect the others have already mentioned this too, but if I am upset or scared about possible bad news, I take a friend and ask them to take notes... the onc won't be worried by this .... it's commonplace as appointments are stressful and we can easily forget what was said. I also ask for copies of my GP letters.... ( years ago a letter sent to my GP, was full of inaccuracy) These copies are sent to my home and they are a record of the appointment and my health status... so I find them useful to keep for reference. moijan📚Xx.
Highlighted

Hi girls I hope you are all coping OK. Berniece I am so sorry to hear you have had such a tough time of it. I hope things will go the other way for you now.
As you know girls I had a lot of trouble with my jawbone and teeth which I thought was down to the zometa. Well good news the numbness has gone completely. I still get trouble with my teeth tho. My mouth is a lot better moijan thanks for the tip. I'm ringing with difflam and it's really helping.
Today is the first day my mouth feels normal.
I am feeling really well and positive. Well until I have my next zometa. It's weird some months I don't get any side effects and another it puts me in bed for 2-3 days.
Anyway time for sleep now. Love and hugs to you all. Xx
Highlighted

I have just sent it sorry forgot to press post lol.
Highlighted

Thank you for your replies that's really helpful. I'm taking a list of questions with me. I think not knowing things at this stage is driving me crazy and reading your lists it's like a different language sometimes but I'm sure I'll sion know all the lingo.
Maldives /Sue ....no message from you as yet x

Highlighted

Hi doodles
I amight going to try and private message you. Haven't done it before so let me know if it doesn't go through. X sue
Highlighted

Hi Nicky, nice to hear from you.
Just wanted to pick up on a couple of things you have just mentioned in your last post.
At my last onc appt she mentioned that when I hit 50 (which is november this year) she will probably stop my zoladex injection as my body should have also hit the natural menopause and that my ovaries have been suppressed for that long now that they highly unlikely to recover. I'm not comfortable with this as 50 is still quite early for the natural menopause to come isn't it???
Also in October last year she changed my denosumab to 8 weekly, I questioned this saying most the ladies on here get changed to 6 weekly but she said 8 weekly is the current guildline on it. I have definitely noticed that I am getting more pain and achey going that length of time!
Hope I haven't babbled on too much there, sometimes it is hard to try and explain things in text! Lol
Hugs Janette xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi doodles.

Sometimes this thread is really busy, sometimes it's a bit quieter - it just depends if some newly diagnosed ladies come on and share their fears - which we try to help with - or sometimes it's just because we're having a natter! Either way, just join in as much or as little as you want, it really doesn't matter if you just find reading the forum is helpful and you don't want or need to post. I think a lot of us read every day but quite a few, including me at times, don't add anything as they feel they can't add to what has already been said.

Anyway onto your questions. You can ask as little or as much from your oncologist as you want, you are entitled to see, and get copies, of all scans and reports. It took me a while to eventually ask some probing questions and now there's no stopping me!

What you will want to know is what type of SBC you have. Is it hormone positive (or negative) and is it HER2 positive (or negative). This will determine your treatment. You might be put on a course of chemo, which is likely to push you into the menopause, or hormone treatment which will also affect your menopausal state, including the possibility of zoladex which puts you into an induced menopausal state, which can be reversed once zoladex is stopped. You are most likely to be on a bone strengthening treatment as well, I think all of us are and it would be unusual if you weren't. This is now tends to be a 4 weekly injection called Denosumab, which sometimes gets changed to 6 weekly after a time. You are normally scanned after 3-4 months after starting a new treatment to see how it's working. This often isn't a bone scan as nuclear medicine isn't given that often but CT scans or MRI scans also pick up changes to bones and will indicate if they are healing.

Hope that helps and I'm sure some other ladies will add their views as well if there's other questions they have asked.

Good luck with your appointment and either take someone with you to take notes, or take them yourself, there will be a lot of info to take in which, in my case, always produces more questions, usually once I'm out of the room!

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hello Bel
Thanks for posting about the jaw x Ray ..will get it sorted hopefully.

Doodles
You have Mets in the same sort of places as I have ..I was dx 2015 and have been on letrozole since and denosumab .
Yes ..you will be able to see your bone scan if you ask the oncologist ..it just shows "iffy" areas ..these are not necessary Mets ..can be arthritus or previous injury I was told .
It's funny looking at your scan for the first time ..I almost felt it an intrusion on my personal insides !! You are maybe some one that likes to know all these things ...me I don't anymore ...
Hugs xxxc
Highlighted

Hey all 🙂 I can't keep up with this conversation as I haven't been on for a few days. Do you all come on daily?? Anyway I'm fairly new to this mets business. Bone mets was officially confirmed on Thursday and results of CT showed it is not anywhere else .... I couldn't believe how happy/relieved I was at this news as I think I had prepared myself for the worse. My first onc appointment is Wednesday this week and I guess treatment will start fairly quickly. I have no idea what to expect from the appointment but I prefer to know everything. I want to see my bone scan ..will they show me it? I've saw some of you saying exactly where the mets is .... my breast consultant only said it showed on lower spine, ribs and pelvis but that doesn't really tell me much ? Is it spots? Is it loads? Is this the kind of thing the onc will answer this week for me? Im presuming I will be put through the menopause now? (Im 43). So many questions and I feel I don't really know what I should be asking. I'm rambling on. Any suggestions for questions I should be asking?

Highlighted

Hi Caroline 

im on denosumab and my dentist sent me to the hospital for a jaw X-ray, at the start of my treatment, he said he will be doing them regularly to keep an eye on my jaw! 

Sometimes I think I will glow the amount of X-rays and scans I've had!! 

It may be worth asking your dentist to refer you to hospital dentist to get X-ray done.

Weather here a bit windy and damp too, shame as hoping to complete our poly tunnel! Next calm day we will be out there, hoping no sudden gusts though or we could find ourselves down your way when we put the plastic cover on!

Hugs and good wishes to all. 

Bel. X

Highlighted

Sent you a pm bernie

Highlighted

Hello Bon
Thanks for asking ...the teeth are better but I'm waiting to c oncologist in April to discuss maybe a jaw xray before I start denosumab again ...I will get a dental check up as well but it wasent just one particular tooth ..they all went berserk !! ( dentistry in 50s and 60s was very basic and I'm paying the price now)

Well we had a very rough night here ..windy and wet ...where do all the plastic bags and crisp packets appear from when its windy ..they seem to be everywhere in our garden area?
Might just pop to Next sale later for a little nosy as still have vouchers to spend !
Enjoy the weekend every one .
Xxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Bernie,  I would ask the doctor how she knows it is a cyst and not a tumor? I can tell you at my last scan of my lungs there were two "things" they called new  nodules, but the oncologist said that neither her or the radiologist thought they were cancer bc the make up of them was  different. So what I'm thinking about for you is maybe a cyst looks different on a scan  than a tumor. This is just a guess on my part. I'm sorry you have had so many complications. Does pancreatitis run in your family? I think it can be genetic if I remember correctly. Hugs and best wishes! FF

Highlighted

Bernie I'm glad to hear letrozole and denosumab are working for you after all the other stuff you've been through

Carolyn how are your teeth? Are you likely to have them fixed soon so you can return to denosumab? I am going to the dentist next week, just for a check up, my teeth are OK. My normal dentist is on maternity leave so, as I'm having a bone scan the day before, I thought I'd better ring and check her replacement isn't pregnant as well. However he's called Justin so not much chance of that.

love to all B xx

Highlighted

Hello Bernie
This is Carolyn ..you didn't dream it up !
Wow what a story you have told us and you poor love having to suffer so much especially near xmas time.
I hope as letrozole lady too, that this little pin continues to do what it should do.
No one here is trainned to give medical advice apart from what we have experienced but we are real people that can offer kindness and support.
There is a helpline on the home page where there is experienced nurses on call to answer any questions you might like to ask. Personally , I rely on this site for answers to my queries as I don't have a secondary breast care nurse at my hospital ..I know the larger hospitals do but sites like this are a godsend to many.
Hugs xxx
Highlighted

We can't offer medical advice, sorry! But we do know that there are lymph nodes everywhere in the budy and their job is to trap bacteria, not just cancer cells. So something like a cold or sore throat or pancreatitis, any itis, can lead to enlarged lymph nodes, which usually go down after the infection has gone away.

From what you have said, not sure why you would assume that cancer will make its home there xx however, if you have worries like that, best go back to see your doctor, hope that helps

M💚💚💚
Highlighted

Sorry that was Janette I was replying to wasn't it not Caroline who I have clearly made up lol xx
Highlighted

Oh thank you Carolyn xxx Yes I know what you mean re Letrozole being your best buddy, as I was taking my tablet the day after my scan results I stared at it thinking wow this tiny 2.5mg tablet is my saviour and kissed it lol. And yes long may it continue for us all 😊.
Highlighted

Oh dear Bernie, you have had a rough time of it! Sorry can't help with the pancreatis??( Sorry spelt it wrong! ) but just wanted to say great news regarding your response to letrozole! Letrozole has become my "best buddy" for the last 18 months....long may it last!
Take care, hugs Janette xxx