Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Highlighted

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Hi feel-the-fear,

Hoping all went well with your biopsy today...x

Highlighted

Angela, best of luck for the liver biopsy. Do you know how long you'll have to wait for the results?
I hope they clear you for swimming, it's so frustrating to be in the middle of the best summer Britain's had for years, and not be able to dive in! My husband has been using our local outdoor pool for the first time in his life and loving it (usually he's a wimp when it comes to cold water!), but I can't join him because of my low neutrophils. Such a waste!!
Funny face, your story has been such an inspiration. I hope the good news keeps on coming for our favourite Stable Mabel!
Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks f the f.  From what I've seen in the past for some tumor markers are right on! Others don't benefit by them. It will take more than one time to see if they are a good indicator for me. I didn't give you girls my whole report. There might be more good news, but I'm not ready to share until there is more to back it up. 

I also might be checked genetically again. I was checked 13 years ago and did not have the Brac 1 or 2. My daughter was like Yahoo then I probably won't get this. We had a little chat! Me explaining if you l d have been a false negative and that those genes were just discovered in the 90's and maybe there was more genes that weren't discovered yet. If insurance will pay they are going to do it again.

OK, Need to get moving! I have so many things that need done around here. I get exhausted looking at them. I wish I had the energy to do them! I used to be a neat freak! My lack of energy and hubby the hoarder has rubbed on me. I need hubby to go away for a few days! 

Good luck with your biopsy. I really don't know how the liver biopsy is. I did have my lung biopsied through my back and it didn't hurt. Hoping it might be similar for you.

FF

Highlighted

To f-the-f,

The very best of luck to you for 2moro.....do let us know how u get on....

silver....xx

Highlighted

Congratulations on being stable Mable again ff. 🥂
I’m also interested in tumour markers. My oncologist has never mentioned them to me.

I’m off for my pre op soon ready for liver biopsy on Wednesday. 😳
I’m expecting it to be painful after reading other experiences.
I’m worried that I won’t be able to swim as we’re going away for a cpl of days at the weekend. X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Jazmia, Renee If you are able and out there give us a shout! Thinking of you often! HUGS! FF

Highlighted
Community Champion

Bon, FtF and Silver, 

I am careful with my refined sugar. Not bc of it feeding cancer but bc of my diabetes. My diabetes is under control but it is difficult with "E and E" combo. I try to do healthy carbs, but eat a small portion of dessert if it's calling my name!

I do feel each of our bodies and cancer are very unique. What works to control or eliminate one person's cancer might not work for the next. I also think it's going to be a combo of different things for each person. I'm a firm believer that everything is on the planet for a reason. We shouldn't kill off things. It might hold the answer for something.

By the way, I'm Stable Mable again and they stretched my next scan and Dr appt for 4 months instead of 3! Staying on E and E. I've never had tumor markers. My old oncologist and new one both think they are unreliable. My oncologist said there is now newer thinking on how accurate they are. She is going to use them now. Curious about this. Haven't heard my results on them. Will let you all know when I know. 

Hugs, FF

Highlighted

Hi Ff

Thank you for your wisdom and good sense. Your story lifts our hearts. We are all different, we don't know what life's lottery is going to bring us and we can only do what feels right for us. It's good to share but we are all our own person.

love to all Bon xx

Highlighted

daer funnyface,

Thx ever so for sharing. Your 13 years are tres inspiring to us all....

All good wishes,

silver x

Highlighted

Ff that’s amazing. Well done you.
And to hear that you’re going strong after nearly 13 years is brilliant. I plan on doing the same. 😀

I’m avoiding refined sugar. If anything, I found it was making my hot flushes worse. I’m still having a square or two of organic chocolate with a cup of tea during the week and alcohol on a weekend.

I’m not even going to try and cut out dairy as I love cheese and I’m partial to the odd creamy savoury sauce. I don’t feel like I need them in order to have a good life, but they are very pleasurable and it’s nice if life can include little pleasures of all varieties.
X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Carolyn, Yikes another spider story! Thankful I haven had much interaction with any so far this summer. This weekend son picked up a log to put on a camp fire and dropped it back down. He said OK Mr Spider you can have the log, I'll take a different one. Lol son was cringing at it. Sorry, that spider would have been in the fire. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies, I haven't posted in awhile. I've been reading the conversation on diet. I was drastically over weight and have had mets for almost 13 years. Two years ago I decided to make some life style changes. I was tired of being fat. I also new that they couldn't give me enough of the drugs to equal my weight. I felt if I lost the weight I would have a better chance the dose would match my weight. Over the years I don't know how I got so out of control of me. I did lose a lot of weight back in 2012 and then had a mediation change and put almost all of it back on. I tried a medical diet with prepared food that was 800 calories a day and gained weight. I gave up. Two years ago I realized I was staying the same and not gaining. I decided to try again. I have worked hard and lost 140 lbs. I did not cut out sweets or anything. I do tend to stick to the perimenter of the store. I only go up the isles if I need something.I don't go up the cookie isle. I try not to bring sweet things home and enjoy a sweet at somebody else's house or a restaurant. I also made other life style changes. I made one change a week. If I did good with the change then I would add a new change the next week. I went from being able to do "0" sit ups a day to "50" a day. I drank diet coke all the time. I learned to limit it. I did little changes like you must do 2 house hold chores before you go to work. I really found the discipline in other areas of my life helped. I still want to lose 12 more pounds. I've been holding my own since January,but haven't lost. I'm trying not to beat myself up for this and be proud I'm holding. I'm not exercising bc I broke my back in two places and had it pinned and cemented. I'm afraid to exercise since it broke from hic-ups. I went away this weekend and people were totally amazed at me. The compliments and hugs were wonderful.

I think it was the motivation I needed to tweak my diet and discipline a little more to finish. 

I truly don't believe sugar and dairy cause cancer or feed it. My belief is we would all be dead if that's the case. I've known several people who had cancer who tried the no sugar no dairy. They didn' t live long at all. I don't have a problem with who does believe it. I feel it's our lives and we have to do what works for us. I do believe lots of us could eat better to fuel our bodies better. I really feel as long as we get good nourishment we will do better. I believe  in moderation and finding a balance that works for your body.

Hugs, FF

Highlighted

I would be sad if anyone feels they should leave the forum. I’ve found it a supportive place. Diet advice is helpful and it’s good to hear different views. We won’t always agree but everyone should feel able to contribute. I’ve picked up some great tips x
Highlighted

Sorry Jobey!

Highlighted

Hi Jobe,

Just want to say. I’m not saying it’s any one thing or even necessarily that we can dictate some of the factors involved, and certainly don’t think we should blame ourselves. I think a lot of research now says it is a metabolic disease, where many factors such as stress, infection, as well as insufficient rest and diet etc all come together and play a part in reducing the efficiency of our immune systems that would usually eliminate the cancer cells everyone has within them every day throughout life. I agree people from every walk get cancer, this only strengthens the metabolic side to me. 

I couldn’t agree more about personal opinion and debate, in fact that was the purpose of my post...that all opinions should be equally respected.

Kate x

Highlighted

Ladies the subject of diet will always bring about a debate as we are all so different In our views and there is nothing wrong with that at all! 

My opinion is that I don't believe diet and lifestyle has any bearing on us getting cancer, my reason for this is that every walk of life gets cancer, young ,old ,thin ,fat, fit, unfit, drinkers, teetotallers, smokers, non smokers, vegans, meat eaters and the list goes on!

Also if I believed it was down to something I had eaten, drank,  done or not done etc then I would be responsible for doing it to myself and I can't life with that thought! 

Please don't feel the need to leave the forum, a lively discussion isn't a bad thing, and we are all entitled to air our views, it's not a personal attack on anyone it's just our individual opinon and we must all do what we feel is right for us. Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Hello all, I haven't been posted for a long time , but I do read often.

As to the sugar question I have asked my onc about this (He is actually one of the lead people in research ) he told me to have a dessert if I wanted and have a glass of wine if I felt like it. He has however encouraged me to do The Clever Guts diet. Basically a Mediterranean diet : fish ,fruiit vegetables olive oil you can have chocolate and wine. Following recent research I do eat a lot of peaches .

Rosie please don't leave , you have been a fantastic member of this forum. No one should get told off for their opinion.

Well done to the ladies who have given up sugar , well done to as all for continuing to lead full and active lifes to the best of their  abilities. Everyone is different , every cancer is different ,lets all continue to pull together,. Cancer is the bully not forum members .

Love to all

Marie xx

Highlighted

Janette, my comment wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular and definitely not at you. it’s a result of whenever lifestyle or diet is mentioned, and being made to feel how you’re saying you are now on repeated occasions. I honestly can say, hand on heart, it wasn’t directed at you. I was just fed up, especially after Silver had been made to feel bad earlier in the week about posting about statistics, that we cannot be open about our beliefs if they don’t tow the line, so to speak. If you read my post from earlier today you will see freedom to post whatever you believe in is what I firmly believe in. I hope this explains that my post wasn’t aimed at you at all, I honestly respect your choices. Kate x

Highlighted

Rosie, please don’t leave the forum.
I’m sitting having a gin and soda as we speak and don’t give a t*ss what anyone else thinks about that.
I’ll also be having buttery mash with my Sunday lunch later and Yorkshire puddings and some red wine. 🙄😀
Who cares. Xxx

Highlighted

Wow a can of worms has most definitely been opened here!

ln my post yesterday I was certainly not “scorning” anyone’s opinion, everyone is entitled to their opinions and to live the lifestyle as they see fit to do so. But on giving my opinion i was “scorned” for doing so! I was not condoning anyone’s lifestyle and was not saying that in order to enjoy life you have you need chocolate and wine.

Kate, nobody on here should be sent abusive messages for the things we post that is very wrong BUT I have been made to feel wrong and guilty for enjoying a block of chocolate and a few glasses of wine at the weekend, I weigh just over 8 stone so am certainly not a sugar monster!! 

When I was first dx with secondaries four and a half years ago I was frightened to put anything in my mouth for fear of feeding my cancer, but after having a good chat with my oncologist who told me a healthy balanced diet with most things moderation I am no longer on the “guilty train” I enjoy my life and make the most of every day and do not let cancer dictate my every move.

I have been a member on here since dx and have found it a total lifeline especially when first dx, i have always found great support, advice and understanding but I now feel peoples opinions are getting too personal so will now be withdrawing from it.

i wish everyone the best of health, hugs Janette xx

Highlighted

Good afternoon dear Kate & f-the-f,

All good wishes,

silver...xx

Highlighted

Hi Kate, hope you enjoy your day too.

No sport here today, we’ve got 10 people coming for a late lunch. It’s such a gorgeous day, it would be a shame not to spend it in the garden.

Angela 🌞🌞🌞
Highlighted

Hi again,

I definitely didn’t take them to heart! If they haven’t the b️lls to say it on here then that’s their problem. I wouldn’t describe them as offensive more judgmental and telling me how to behave 🙄. I’ve received some that I couldn’t even be bothered to open because I really couldn’t care less what they have to say.

The reason I found it easy to give up sugar and makes the changes I have is because I believe in what I’m doing, if I didn’t then I wouldn’t do it, or probably have carried it through, but it totally makes sense to me and that’s what I believe we should all do...what we believe in and makes sense to us, Whatever that is.

I’ve always done my own thing and will continue to do so, even my Oncologist says she respects my attitude and says I always make her laugh, so not taking life too seriously! I don’t wake up thinking about cancer and don’t go to sleep thinking about it either, it’s there but generally I forget about it and get on and enjoy my life. It is what it is! I was simply making the point that you’ve expressed with your opinion on free speech. It’s the old I don’t want to do it, so I don’t want you to do it either attitude.

My comment about Finty was probably because I’ve been thinking about her and would love to know how she’s doing, imo she was a great asset to this forum and I like to think we would’ve been a kindred spirit, though she was far more knowledgeable than me. 

Will you be watching the World Cup? Bit annoyed it clashes with the tennis, so the remote will see a lot of action this afternoon, enjoy your day whatever you’re doing!

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi Kate, I just want to say I’m with you all of the way in that I’m an absolute supporter of freedom of speech.
I totally agree that everyone on here should be entitled to their own opinions and be respected whatever their choices happen to be.

If anyone sends you offensive personal messages, then I’d be very tempted to out them by sharing their messages here. It is very sad that when people need support the very most, they’re being judged.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who love to get on their high horses if they spot an opportunity to knock someone down.

In the words of Bob Hoskins
Be yourself. If someone doesn’t like you they’re either stupid , blind, or they’ve got bad taste. Accept who you are, you’ve got no one else to be. Don’t try to change yourself, there’s no point. Don’t apologise. Don’t make excuses. Be yourself and if anyone else doesn’t like it they can **** off.

Don’t worry about other people’s opinions. Everyone’s a critic, but ultimately what they say only matters if you let it. Don’t believe your own press. People can just as easily sing your praises as they can tear you down. Don’t waste your time on things you can’t change. Let it slide off you like water off a duck’s back

And finally,
Don’t take yourself too seriously. People who take themselves too seriously are boring.

Good advice I think. 😀
Highlighted

Hi Feelthefear,

I would agree with most of what you say, and certainly about grief being a big factor, as I firmly believe it was a major cause of mine but I would say that greatly influences lifestyle factors due to the stress it causes. I think I said it isn’t just about diet, exercise etc. 

I did initially cut out all sugar, except for a little fruit, and that included bread, rice, etc but now I do eat non processed sugar in moderation, but that’s because I don’t want it anymore. Sugar is in so many things that I’d say we get more than enough probably without knowing most days. I wouldn’t want cake and chocolate at gigs either, though I would have eaten chocolate at football, but often it’s said about enjoying life, then reference is made to eating chocolate and cake, as if that’s what enjoying life is about, which baffles me.

I didn’t mean to come across saying others weren’t making changes but I also always feel like making the changes I have is scorned upon by some, it certainly raises the ‘here we go again’ attitude. It is a choice but at times, a bit like the statistics issue earlier in the week, I feel not everyone’s choice is respected. In the past I’ve received some quite offensive personal messages telling me what I should and should not post. Finty, who started this thread, left the forum, and I believe one of the main reasons was because of the scorn she received, I know it was a long time ago and members have changed but personally I find that very sad.

Kate x

Highlighted

Morning ladies.
Kate21, I don’t believe anyone said that lifestyle choices make no difference?
However, good for you that you seem to have cut out sugar. I know for some people that’s very difficult.
Like I said in my earlier post, I’ve cut out refined sugar. I’ve also cut back on natural sugars.

I was never a chocoholic so it hasn’t been that difficult. And I’d certainly not dream about reaching for cake or chocolate at a gig or let’s say a football match. I’d probably like an alcoholic drink at some point though. 😀

Reading through the other ladies posts I think most of us are making an effort to eat very well with only odd treats. I don’t think eating chocolate twice a week is going to make a huge difference, but I’m no expert.
I thought it was when cells are being constantly stimulated (daily) by sugar that we need to worry.
However, I’m convinced my cancer was caused by grief and not lifestyle. I’m still very wary of feeding these rogue cells sugar though.
Highlighted

Probably expected that while I agree if that’s your choice go ahead, I disagree lifestyle choices make no difference. Not because I believe in faddy diets but because I believe cancer is a metabolic disease, isn’t caused by one thing but by several changes in the body, and that cancer is the result or consequence of those changes. There is a lot of research out there proving processed sugar feeds cancer, that’s how contrast in scans work, but agree it isn’t just down to diet, there are many other lifestyle choices involved. That said I don’t believe it will cure me but I feel so much better for making the changes I have and believe they give me a much better chance to deal with whatever lies ahead. I was a real cake and chocoholic girl but, hand on heart, I don’t miss them now and find chocolate sickly after one small piece. If I was told there had been a mistake and I didn’t have cancer I would continue as I do now because I feel much better for it and I generally ate well, mainly organic, wasn’t overweight, before.

Following a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy life...last week I went to Wimbledon and had a fantastic weekend in London, watching my favourite band, met up with friends from all over the world (in London for the concert) had a great Thai meal, and finished it off with another day at Wimbledon...all without chocolate and cake!!

Highlighted

Alexd, thank you for your inspiring post, I’m now 4 years on from mets dx, like you I haven’t changed my lifestyle either, I’m a great believer in everything in moderation, I am a total chocoholic and every Saturday and Sunday evening I have my Dairy milk fix and a cheeky couple of glasses of wine, we very rearly have take aways and eat relatively healthy mid week.
Life is for living ladies enjoy it!!
I commend you for renovating your house though, the thought of emulsioning one room fills me with dread!!!
Hugs to all Janette xxx
Highlighted

Hello tatyana

Diet is always the bain of conversation here ...after my primary bc 14 years ago ..I did the Jane Plant diet for 3 months ...I was miserable, felt malnourished and decided just to be a little bit sensible by avoiding too much alcohol and fatty
foods ...I was in remission for 11 years so guess maybe it helped but we will never know !

Yes ..Fed up with spiders ...just call me the spider pied piper ...my son says he's found loads of dead ones daily on his patio ..apparently they die of thirst in the hot weather!

I used to love diy back in the days too ..funny I could plaster a wall but couldn't ice a cake ! Once wallpapered a big hallway ...23 rolls it took!
Highlighted

FTD, I so agree with you on lifestyle. I eat a pretty healthy diet, cook from scratch, lots of organic, lots of fruit and veg. But I do love a piece of cake, a bit of chocolate, the odd glass of wine etc. I've tried quite hard to find evidence regarding diet, and I have never found any solid scientific evidence that there is anything to be gained from extreme measures such as totally excluding dairy, or sugar, or whatever. Or from eating manuka honey or goji berries.
I'm not knocking it, I totally get how it can make you feel better if you take control and make some changes. And anything that makes anyone feel better is fine with me! But I don't think there's a magic bullet. Sugar won't kill you and honey won't save you. Enjoy them both.
Best diet advice I ever heard: "Eat food. Mainly plants. Not too much."

On a different topic, I'm in awe of you renovators. I've always been daunted even by painting the front room! But Alex, your cottage sounds wonderful!

And Carolyn: you and spiders. Is your real name Ziggy Stardust by any chance?

Hugs all round and enjoy the tennis, if anyone can bear to sit indoors in this weather!
Highlighted

Alexde, it’s reassuring to hear from someone who is doing so well and hasn’t made major lifestyle changes such as no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol, no meat, no fish etc.

I really enjoy a glass of wine, the odd piece of chocolate, a delicious wedge of cheese, buttered toast. 🤔
I’m not overweight, I jog 3 or 4 times a week and only ever cook from scratch. I’ve gone organic wherever I can, im hoping this is enough.

Everything in moderation of course and no refined sugar for me. That just means organic chocolate. 🤔😀
The thought of a life with absolutely no little pleasures absolutely depresses me. I hope that’s not what I need to do to gain an extra few years. 🤞

A new thatch roof sounds lovely. 😍

The sun is shining so here’s to a good weekend Alexde, Kate21 and everyone else. 🌞🥂
Highlighted

🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜 spider alert

Got up ..just putting on my bra ..huge hairy spider in it ..aagh .

Also ..got a big furry bumble bee in lounge that needs to go to SPECS AVERS. ...he's trying to get lunch out of my silk flowers! Bless him

Nothing. .I expect to what you girls have found with renovating your old houses. ....many years ago we did up a old terrace house ..found a mouse in the toaster. .so hubs switched it on ..toasty mouse for breakfast anyone ?

🐁🐁
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Alexde.

I’ve renovated in a strict conservation area but never listed, very hard work!

Best wishes to you too Feelthefear, hope all goes well for both of you. Kxx 

Highlighted

It’s good to hear that there are other renovators out there. Feelthefear, you are right it’s not for the faint hearted, having no loo for a couple of weeks must have been difficult. We had a big gas leak and problems with water pipes when we moved in but only had to use a bucket of water to flush the loo for a couple of days. We have found the original lime plaster under the layers of woudchip so I have enrolled in a lime plastering course. The cottage is grade 2 listed and is in a conservation area which means we have to have listed consent for a lot of stuff. The new thatch is going on next week which will stop the rain coming in through the roof.

Kate21, I don’t think I have made any lifestyle changes since diagnosis, I pretty much do as I please. Last year I did reduce my carb intake last year to help support a neighbour who has type 2 diabetes, however I think I have more energy as a consequence.

AlexDe xx
Highlighted

Hi Alexde, very inspiring to read your post. Although not quite as extensive as yours sound, I renovated a house a few months after I started treatment, I was dx straight to stage 4 almost three years ago now. I really think it helped me as I had so many other things to think about and focus on, I had done it a couple of times before so had an idea of what to expect, but enjoyed it even with everything else and would like to do it again now, if I could find the right house! Can I ask you did you make any other lifestyle changes? Hope your renovations go well and without too many surprises, unless they’re good ones! Kxx

Highlighted

Well said Alex.

And good luck with the house. We did exactly the same while I was on fec-t last year. At one stage we had no loo for two weeks. 😳
It’s not for the faint hearted, but totally worth it in the end. 👍
Highlighted

Hello All,

Well I am now menopausal and ready to start the main drugs.

I am due to start Letrozol and penu something.  has anyone any advice.

Thanks

A

Highlighted

Hi everyone, A word on stats, it is better to be anecdotally alive than statistically dead. We only become a statistic when we die!! On this thread we are all very much alive. I have had bone mets for nearly 10 years now. I had a bit of progression last year and had to have rads and meds were changed. I am now well again, tumour markers are the lowest they have been for about five years. I have just moved into a wreck if a house which we are renovating so spend most days covered in dust from mortar, plaster and bricks and sometimes soot. Here’s hoping everyone has an enjoyable weekend😃
Highlighted

Mets is short for metastases, which is when the cancer spreads to somewhere other than its original place.
Highlighted

It is when the tumor spreads from the breast to the bones. People can get mets in all different parts of the body, ie lungs, liver, skin. Hope this helps you

Highlighted

Can anyone tell me what bone Mets are please ?
Highlighted

That’s more or less what I heard, plus that she’d had, or was having, treatment in Germany. I find her posts on this thread so interesting, especially her early ones...Thank you

Highlighted

Finty opened this thread on 2010 ( 8 years ago) and she moved to the US website "inspire " ..she was quite active there for a while. One of the other members was trying to contact her but said her profile was now inactive. ..
That's about all I know but I have only been here since October 2015 myself.
Highlighted

Does anyone keep in touch with Finty? I did hear she was having treatment in Germany and had posted on an American site. Thanks

Highlighted

Dear Silver and Tatiana,

You’re both too kind, I’d say more stubborn, and not liking being told what to do! 

Love to you both, Kate x

Highlighted

dear Kate,

What an inspiring attitude.....xx

Highlighted

Kate, I love your attitude! "2-3 years! Huh! I'm not having that-- I'll show you!" Go girl!
Highlighted

Love the hey ho! Agree stats are just stats, no more, and frankly the majority can be made to say whatever you care to twist them to say! When I started on Letrozole I remember my Oncologist saying she was very hopeful it would work for me, I asked for how long, her reply was, could be more or less but usually around 2-3 years on average. That statistic made me want to beat that time frame and gave me something to aim for, so very much a positive for me. Kxx

Highlighted

Hi tatyana,

What an encouraging quote & you did made me giggle about one's changing attitudes to statistics...so very true xx he, he, he.....

Highlighted

Hey ho Silver! I can't see what's wrong with posting anything you want! This thread is for people who already have a secondary diagnosis, of course stats are only stats, but some people like to have information, and this is a great place to share. I know I've learned a lot which I would never have learned if people felt they couldn't post anything gloomy!!
It's a different matter with other areas of the forum where people are still coming to terms with a primary diagnosis, I try to make sure anything I post there is reasonably optimistic!
But there's some amazing optimistic stuff here too. As for the stats: with my first ever diagnosis I was quoted 70%. I thought that sounded good. Many years later, I think 20% sounds good. It all depends where you are coming from!