62379members
328273posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bone mets - please join in

Re: Bone mets - please join in

Hi Chocolates, i'm at the hospital at 7 this evening with my oh but if i am back in time for live chat im going to give it a go. PS feeling a bit better today thank you, i got myself some Kalms and i think they helped me a little.
Love Janette x x

Good afternoon everybody and welcome to the newbies - I am sorry you have had to join but I have found the site a godsend, everybody is so welcoming. I do not post very often but always read everybodys posts which gives me inspiration and hope. I was diagnosed with primary and mets to bones over 3 years ago now and like Pam have continued to enjoy life with the cancer travelling to Australia and Japan since diagnosis. I no longer work but keep myself busy with volunteering - almost a full time job at times! Following progression to lymph nodes in chest I have had 6 rounds of chemo plus herceptin and perjeta. The treatment finished a couple of months ago and the end of treatment scan was very positive with no activity seen in bones or lymph nodes although there remained a little fluid still round my lungs. I also felt very good with no pain. Treatment continues as herceptin and perjeta although I am no longer on denusomab or any hormone tablets. Over the last week or so I have started to have pain in my ribs and around my neck so think probably herceptin and perjeta is not working totally. I just wondered whether any other ladies who are on herceptin / perjeta have this on its own or whether they also have a hormone treatment. I am due to see my oncologist again in a couple of weeks so collecting as much information as I can. Thank you ladies and best wishes to you all - you are all amazing!xx

Thank you Ethel x
Community Champion

Hi ladies and a warm welcome to anyone newly diagnosed. There is a lot of acrtivity on this thread at the moment and it's great to read what everyone has been up to and feeling sorry for all those with a few extra hospital visits or even overnight stays - not what we need.

I seem to miss out on all the late posts in the evenings so I apologise for not rememebering everything!

Helen - glad you ahve moved hospital and hope Cape works well for you. I also got a few desperate dashes for the loo at times whilst on it but it did settle down and didn't really cuase any problems.  I found in the first couple of times on my week off I also suffered with diarrohea (sp?) on the first day off tablets but, again this didn't happen after those times.

Chocolates - do keep an eye on your heart and feel free to PM me if you want any info about what I had. It was definitely brought on by chemo and has taken a long time to sort out.  I see one of the best (if not THE one) cardio-oncologists in the UK and he has worked wonders Smiley Happy

Belinda - I do have to smile when I read your posts Smiley Very Happy George Clooney - what are you like? I can just imagine you staring out of your window, downing tablets whilst George is pottering in the garden LOL

Take care all other boney and other ladies, sorry if I've fogotten too many ladies.

Nicky x

Morning lovely ladies - it's sooooooooo cold! What happened and so damp also. Going to put the heating on - just for a bit.

We had a lovely weekend with the family. My heart is still not right - just don't feel quite right but difficult to explain. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much as no pain etc so not really sure what it could be. The only thing is it started after taking adcal so have stopped for the moment to see what happens.

Ethel - huge hugs to you - we know exactly the place you're in at the moment. It's so difficult and all consuming. Things do get better but at the moment you just need to take one day at a time. Give the lovely ladies here at bcc a ring - they are very supportive. Huge hugs and keep posting. We are here for you.

Sheila - I really hope you are starting to feel better now. You've had a difficult time recently but we're all here.
Helen, sorry to hear about your dizziness - I agree I think it could be a near problem so get it checked out. Hope rads go ok today.
Natalie - huge hugs to you. Sorry to hear you've been down. Do you think you'll be able to make live chat tonight. It would be good to catch up.

Sorry if iv missed you out but so many posts to catch up on from the weekend. Have missed you all ladies and sending huge hugs to you all.

Hopefully speak to some of you on live chat later.

Take care,
Hxxxx

Hi Pam, what a wonderful post...thank you, iv been on a downer this last wk as had more pain than usual and posts like yours makes me feel so much better!!!
Love and hugs Janette x x

Thanks Pam - I love your attitude and great to hear about all your travelling! I have just come back from a cruise around the Adriatic which was lovely.

Hi everyone, still raining here! Helen I wonder if it's an inner ear problem? I've not had a mast, years ago if stage 4 from the start it was normally left, but thinking of rads if you are having to keep arm raised, in a strange position might it have caused some inner ear problem? Dizzy when turning over is usually ear problems I think?

Morning everyone from a miserable and damp south wales!

Welcome to the newbies.

I waas diagnosed with secondaries in my back 31/2 years ago. Initially treated with hormones (after emergency radiotherapy) for a year, and then after some progression switched to capecitabine which has held things stable for 21/2 years (and im trying to emulate those who have been on it much longer!).

For the newbies I thought I would talk about some of the thing I have done since secondary diagnosis!

Several cruises to eastern med and western med (and last year to Israel). Trips to Prague, Barcelona, Palma, Budapest, Granada. this year Ive also had a number of holidays in this Country including a study week in Cambridge, and a trip to my sons graduation in Glasgow. This last weekend Ive been in London seeing the plays "Wolfhall" and Bring up the Bodies"....both fab.(added excitement because Hiliary Mantell was in the audience)....also went to Kew Gardens for the first time which was wonderful.....This weekend (and other times) I have suffered with painful feet and sore hands because i was trying to walk on them more and that seems to trigger hand foot syndrome, a side effect of the capecitabine, but I managed and had to use the tube a bit more than I would have before..but hobbling this morning!

I still have down days...but that is not constant as it was in the beginning......and a lot of the time I am able to do things and enjoy them......

Many others of us are juggling work as well but I decided to take ill health retirement a couple of years ago.

I hope the newbies take from this that life can go on and that there can be good times even after a secondary diagnosis.......but it takes a bit of getting your head around first...

Must go cos Im going to get bloods checked this morning and an appt this afternoon (followed by denosumab friday)....thursday my mum has an appt for blood tests in Bristol...she also has secondary BC at 92!)......ho hum must also try and fit in enjoying my son who is home for a few days before returning to his studies!..........wednesday is day out day with him!......best wishes Pamx

Thank you bev x

Good morning lovely ladies,
Lol bev ,are you after a visit from Paul Hollywood with all your baking. Xxxx

Ethel,massive hugs ,thinking of you today xxxx

Sheila,hope you are still improving and on your way to getting home.xxxxxx

Chocolate,hope you had a fab family doxxxxx

Bundyrum,glad you are getting your blood today and that should have you sorted in no time.
Morning to everyone else,I'll not list in case I forget a name xxxxx
I'm back to rads Smiley Sad today ,8 more to go. Under my arm is sooooo sore and has just started to settle over bank holiday,grrrr. I'm worried about rads and chemo at same time as feel like I've been run over by steamroller with the rads.
I have very strange dizziness,if I turn over in bed,whole room spins. It started on Friday getting off rads bed. Girl said it wasn't rads,she also said sickness and pains down arm and shoulder weren't rads. I beg to differ as didn't have them before rads!! Will mention again at review today!
I got my plasters Belinda and Imodium xxxxxxxxxx
Huge hugs lovely ladies ,Helen xxxxxxxxx

Morning lovely helen! Hey I see youve given yourself a promotion...cape, bone, lung and liver girl ...wow well done lovely ! 😉
A very good morning to you too...my breadmaking has extended to 3 loaves now over last 2 days but stopping the dexamethasone today instead of Saturday so family will just have to endure Warburtons sliced now hehe!
Love to all. ....bev xxxx

Oh ethel im sending you a very early morning hug
((((( )))))) you wouldn't be normal if u didn't feel that way love.
I am newly dx too with lung mets in may but wait and see how many ladies come on here who like the amazing belinda have been living with this for many years! They have excellent treatments now and when one fails there are loads more options up their sleeves 😉
it's all new to u but youll be fine. Some people have to live with heart problems and angina and could also
go at any time...others with kidney disease on dialysis for life. We have this but we soldier on.
Do try and relax. ..despite this unearthly hour! Always speak to someone with your concerns like your bcn or get a referral to a tenovus counsellor...they are amazing and I'm going next week. You can actually self refer now and I have the tel no if u want it.
Huge cyber hug.....lots of love ....bev xxxxx

Thank you, I am going to try and believe your advice and that the misery will eAse up. I'm frightened of dying and being in pain for ever now. Sorry Ethel x

Hi Ethel...sorry youve had to join us and it is confusing and scary at first but we're all here to help each other dont worry. Have a look at my thread on PIP Yes yes yes! With my macmillan benefit advisers help I got it in 4-5 weeks! I work 2 days too.Had the higher rate and mobility at enhanced rate and they backdated it 6 weeks!
Good luck and lots love
Bev xxxx

Hi Ethel, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and bone mets together when my hip spontaneously fractured in 2003. Also had mets to spine. I had a successful hip replacement and have been on continuous treatment ever since. Things can improve, I was on Morphine in 2013 but at the moment, eleven years since diagnosis I use no pain killers at all, I have no pain. I never have asked how long. Your Onc may make a guess but he or she cannot know exactly how you will react to your treatments. Not asking can leave you feeling everything is uncertain but I've found you can turn that uncertainty round into hope.
This following text is from a book on Living with Secondaries, by Musa Mayer, I have always found this comforting,
''Many doctors are reluctant to quote mortality rates or statistics on survival time to patients, preferring to tell them, rightly, that no one can know for sure how long a particular patient will live, and that mortality statistics are based on large groups, and are to be used to weigh decisions about treatment, not as predictors of individual life expectancy. They will explain that since you are an individual, there is simply no way to predict, with any certainty, whether you will be in the larger group that will succumb to breast cancer within the predicted period of time, or the smaller group that lives for many years with it as a chronic disease, or even survives to die of other causes. While initially frustrated, many patients are ultimately able to transform this uncertainty into an opportunity for hope.''
And you may find this booklet a comforting read,
http://www.bcna.org.au/sites/default/files/hh_messageofhope.pdf
Be kind to yourself, it takes time to adjust, it's such a shock but we do all, eventually, find our own way of moving forward with our diagnosis.

Hi Ethel ditto everything Helen has said but also it's worth contacting your nearest Macmillan benefits office and asking for help with the pip application. Base all your answers on your worst possible day. It can take approx 29weeks to be processed. Don't feel bad about asking for it! Things will get easier for you and it's a big plus that you are ER pos.
best wishes
Tracy xx

Hi Ethel, sorry your feeling scared at the moment, i'v applied for PIP a few months ago and am still waiting to hear, i believe you can claim it and still work but i think its like a lottery as to who gets it!!
Don't read to much into the patches your doc has given you, they are morphine patches and i was on morphine to until they had got my treatment plan in place now i manage on paracetamol and naproxen, its a scary time for you but it does get easier to deal with as time goes on, we all still have our moments of fear of the reality and that is only normal. Good luck with everything x
Hi Bundyrum, sorry your not feeling too good, hope your feeling a bit better soon, i have to have my bloods done 48hrs before my Denosumab (bone juice) injection to check my calcium levels do you have to
Hi to all my other wonderful "boney ladies" hope your all ok.
Love and hugs Janette x x

Hi there everyone.  Just been reading your updates and I am pleased to be able to join in, it's nice to know that there is a little group like this that is supportive and informative.  I had some time in hopsital recently with high calcium too, and I was the same as Sheila - nausea, tiredness, muscle aches.  Initially this was put down to the pain medication, but my GP decided to search for other reasons.  Thankfully she did, as mine were dangerously high as well.  I am having my first blood transfusion tomorrow, as my hb had been hovering between 80 and 90 but has now dropped to 76.  I am actually feeling a bit rubbish, tired and nauseous, a bit like high calcium.  Has anyone else had this with anemia?

Oh Ethel ,huge hug,you have come to the right place.as for the thread,it's a law unto its self! I think that's why most of us hang out on here regardless of what mets we have so we can find it.
As for how long any of us has got,is a question not even your onc can answer.Everyone is different,treatments are different and everyone reacts or responds to treatments differently.
There are lots and lots of treatments out there and new ones being developed so please don't write yourself off,our lovely Belinda and Dawn are into year 11 and12. It's entirely up to you if you want to ask your onc. I prefer to be an ostrich even though I have a rough idea.
Yes,apply for PIPS you can work and receive it at same time. If you want to take early retirement go for it if you can financially afford to. As for going back to work you would need to check rules with Union. If you are finished through ill health like myself ,I got full pension because I would not be fit for work in three years or ever work again. So check that out carefully before you make any decisions .
You are just on a different pain med so don't worry. Have you asked about rads for bone pain as they are very effective .
You have an awful lot going on at the moment and your head will be spinning. Your treatment sounds right for being ER+ . Once you get everything sorted you will start to get your head around all this.
We are all here for you,so please don't feel alone and ask us anything no questions are daft,too small,or trivial .
Massive hugs to you,Helen xxxxx

Hi girls, I really don't understand how this thread/forum lark works. Can someone explain? I have a few questions for you too. I was diag 13/8 with bone mets. I was told to apply for pip get my pension early and have a big party!!!! And then told if I want to go back to work (I teach) next week that'll be fine too??? I'm too scared to ask how long I've got - should I? The onc has given me mezolar matrix patches for the pain does that mean I'm worse than I think I am? He's having my ovaries out. I'm on four weekly injections to strengthen my bones and I will also have a oestrogen blocker after the op. I'm so scared. I had only just got my useless ex out of my life/home and was hoping to enjoy being with my lovely 12 year old and now thisSmiley Sad
Ethel x

Hi,Julie ,lovely to hear from you. Yes,I'm a cap,bone,lung,liver girl now. Oh I do get around lol.
Glad you are retiring ,I felt the same. I retired in June at 48. I want time to enjoy myself and be with my family.
Fingers crossed for your results xxxxxthey will be great.
Have a wonderful time in France ,you lucky girl.
Massive hugs,Helen xxxxxxx

Hi everyone,
Not posted again for ages as I have been worried about more swelling and tenderness under my arm and more bone pain but I do read all the posts!!!! Had an u/s scan and biopsy as there was something unusual!!! This was discussed at the MDT and I was told that they weren't 100% sure but because the other lymph nodes were shrinking they weren't too concerned!!! Results of bone scan weren't available so will get these next Monday!!! All worrying as you know !!!! I also retired from work on Friday, I'm only just 50yr but could not continue doing my job in the NHS, so I'm now going to make the most of my time and enjoy myself!!!!
Helen, it's good to hear that you've changed hospitals at long last and that you've joined us on Cape!! Hope you don't get too many side effects!!!!! And it is doable!!! Wishing all the best to all the other ladies, I may not post again for a bit as going away next week to France for 15 days in our Motorhome, inbetween oncologists appts!!!! Take care everyone love Julie xxx

Sheila The Jersey Boys are amazing I really hope your well enough to go it will give you such a lift!
Best wishes
Tracyxxx

Lovely to hear from you Sheila xxxxxx
So glad things were spotted soon and are being dealt with.
Rest up and we will all be here waiting for you ,when your ready to post.
Massive hugs,Helen xxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, thank you for all your good wishes. I feel as if i have  a whole new group of lovely friends. I will keep you informed of the goings on. Yes Janette, the nurses are brilliant! I feel so much better. I would say that my symptoms were weakness nausea, very  queezy and all of this getting worse by the day. I actually slept on and off for 14 hours the other day, got up  at 9 pm to try to watch TV a bit but had to go back to bed. I thought at first I must have still got anaemia but the when the onc told me my liver had progressed l thought it must be that. Anyway apparently your calcium levels should be 2 -5 and are considered dangerous at 3 but mine were 4. If they hadn't spotted it I felt that bad that I might not have made it to chemo.

Hoping to feel better soon. Have got tickets for the Jersey boys in three weeks.😀

Will be back soon. Take care you lovely lot. Love Sheila. Xx

Community Champion

Hi Sheila, sorry to hear you are in hospitalbut glad your team were on the ball and got you in quickly. Good to hear you are beginning to feel better, hope that continues and chemo goes well next week.
Hope everyone else have managed to do something nice over the Bank Hol xx

Hi Sheila, sorry you've had to spend the holiday wekend in hospital but it sounds like they're looking after you there and making sure youre on the mend.

Hopefully you'll be out shortly and feeling much better.

love and hugz.....bev xxxxx

Hi Shelia, sorry to hear you'v not been too good, but at least you have been in good hands at the Christie its a fantastic hospital and ALL the staff are so lovely!! Do you mind me asking how you have been feeling with the high calcium levels??
Hi to all the other lovely ladies hope everyone is feeling ok.
Love and hugs Janette x x x

Hi,Sheila ,huge hugs and hope you get home soon. Glad you got sorted. You rest up and get strong so your ready for next treatment.
Massive hugs coming your way lovely lady,Helen xxxxxxxxxx((((())))))

Hope you are home soon Sheila! And Good Luck with your new chemo. X

Sorry, don't know how to edit but I'm sure you'll fathom my mistakes!

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing OK. I am only doing a short post as I am not sure if it will go. I did a long post last night but it didn't go!

I am in the Christie. Got home from clinic Thursday. One hour later I had phone call room bcn to say I had to go to medical ward asap.. I had high calcium levels. I had been feeling worse day by day so was glad to go! Morning after, my onc rand the ward and wanted me down at christie so transferred. Been treated to that and almost back to normal. I think I may be starting new chemo tomorrow and staying in for a few days to see how I react. Def felling better though.😊 pleased to say staff are lovely.

Will post again when I know this has gone. Good luck to anybody waiting for results and treatment. Haven't read all posts yet. Too tired but improving every day. Love to all. Sheila. Xxx

Good morning lovely ladies,I hope we are all doing okay. A few people have been quiet for a few days. Sending hugs to you,and hoping you are okay xxx
Well it's typical bank holiday weather lol it's getting down to freezing tonight !!! Yikes. Chocolate I'm burning my parasol lol weather has never been hot since I bought it.
Belinda,you tip was great,they were down without even thinking about it.xxxxx
Enjoy your bank holiday ladies,huge hugs and thinking of you all,Helen xxxxxx

Morning lovely ladies. Really busy here as we're off to a family celebration for the weekend. Just wanted to let you all know and will be back on next week. Have a great weekend everyone xxxx

Helen so pleased youre in the right place now...you'll see a huge improvement on your treatment now no doubt!
Sarah the spa sounds like just what the doctor ordered lol! Can you have things like massages though? I know facials are ok but wasn't sure if we're allowed a body massage?
Would love to have another spa day as I havent been for a year.
Hi chocolates and everyone. Hope you all enjoy the bank hol weather xxxx

Hi Helen, you are right my treatment used with Aromasin is a Hormone treatment, my nurses keep calling it my Chemo treatment, on day 2 and feeling quite good. So relieved you have a good Hospital, it must feel such a joy to deal with people who know what they are doing.Love and Light xx Mavis

Wow what a difference Helen, so good to read the new place is SO much better than the old place. Hope the tablets go down easily and work well for a long, long time. Have a good weekend all. X

Good afternoon ladies,well what can I say but yippeeeeeee! What a fantastic hospital,nurses sooooo friendly. I can't believe from feeling rock bottom on Monday to feeling emotionally fantastic and in safe hands.

I take my first dose after dinner so thank you for the tip Belinda,as tablets HUGE ! Oh ,George Clooney,could be on my horizon too I think lol xxxxx thank you for the tip I'll defiantly try that. Xxxx

Oh faraway,how lovely ,you lucky girl. Xxx

Janette,we are all allowed down days,don't be hard on your self. Be gentle and pamper yourself . We are all here for you xxxxx

Tracy and Sheila ,how are you both feeling? I hope you are both on the mend xxxx
Hi,chocolate xxxx

Waving to Julie ,it was lovely meeting you today and looking forward to seeing you on the 3rd.xxxxx

Huge hugs lovely ladies,Helen xxxxxxxxxx

Morning All, not posted for a couple of days, took myself off to a Spa Hotel for the night which was total bliss and was pampered from head to toe. It was lovely chatting to new ladies and for once I was just Sara not Sara with cancer!
Helen hope your new hospital is good.
Well only 7 hours left working this week, really looking forward to a long weekend. Hope you all enjoy your Bank Holiday weekend whatever you get up to xxxxx

Hope you all enjoy the last of the Summer bank holidays. Helen rads shake everything up so. Good luck with your tablets, soon they will feel just part of the normal routine. A tip that works for me, Cap tabs are quite big but any tablets, take with plenty of water while looking out at the horizon, from any window. A Nurse told me this and it does work for me, gaze out of a window, upwards and it distracts from the swallowing. It can be the garden, the wheelie bins, it doesn't have to be George Clooney mixing your cocktails on the terrace. As obviously that only applies to my horizon! ;-) x

Morning ladies, the sun is trying to peep through here.
thank you Helen and Tracy for your replies feeling sorry for myself this wk and need to snap out of it!!
Hope you all have a good bank holiday wkend
love Janette x x

Hi mavis...I'm on Capecitabine not the same as you but had 2 episodes diarrhoea since starting on 1 july but took 2 loperamide and it passed. Mind you, it came on very quickly on both occasions! I was driving but was only about 2 mins from my mum's so had to do a speedy detour to her house!! Seems to be a common s/e with these chemos.
No other s/e though thankfully....hope youre the same on yours with little effects.
Love bev xxx

Morning lovely helen and tracy. ...hope all goes well at your new hospital helen...got to be better than the last hell hole! Maybe the achey feeling is just down to the stresses of the day youve been experiencing lately. Hope it all calms down for you.
Tracy....hope youre feeling better too now. Lovely bank holiday weekend ahead for us all so chillax and enjoy xxxxx

Good luck Helen xxxx

Good morning,lovely ladies,hope every one is okay or feeling a bit better. Off to my new hospital today to hopefully get cap pills,yikes rather apprehensive about starting but glad I am if you know what I mean.
Rads still making me really sickly even though nurse said it shouldn't,and I feel like I'm getting flu every evening with aching bones!? Its gone in morning !?It's probably just me lol
Catch up later lovely ladies as busy morning.
Huge hugs stay strong my friends,Helen xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Janette I've noticed whenever I have a cold or feel under the weather my bone mets hurt more hopefully you'll find it settles down when you feel better.
Tracy xx

Hi,Mavis,everolimus is a hormone treatment and not a chemo I think as it was going to be my next hormone treatment before the sneaky b changed status.I've bumped up the thread for you to have a look at
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx

Oh,janette,huge hugs,it's only natural our minds start letting the gremlins in,we all do it. Bone mets can be painful even without progression so try not to worry. You may need to tweak your meds or ask about rads,
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx

Our new Julie,I've put a photo of myself on my page ,if you click on "2 cat lady"under my avatar you will see "my photos ". Hopefully you will recognise me tomorrow,sorry cute dolphin can't come lol
See you tomorrow,huge hugs,Helen xxxx

Well just back from afternoon tea in posh hotel on seafront with my sister. Chocolate thanks for asking about her,she seams to be coping but really anxious to get treatment started as we all know the waiting is the worst as a week is like a month . I've booked her in with me to a look good feel good workshop at Maggies. If anything we will learn to draw eyebrows on and use eyeliner so hopefully no Jack Sparrow look a likes.
Massive hugs lovely ladies,Helen xxxxxxxx

Hi ladies, not posted for a few days, have felt a bit off, had a sore throat and a bit of a cough and my met bones have hurt these last few days :-( and iv let the cancer gremlins get to me because iv had pain my mind is working overtime thinking the disease is getting worse!!
Anyway thats my moan for the day....Helen one word FANTASTIC so pleased for you its about time you had some good news.
Tracy hope you feeling a little better.
Hi to Chocolates, Mavis Shelia Pam Sara and anyone else iv missed out hope your all ok.
Love and hugs Janette x x x

Hi Chocolates feeling a little better today thanks xx

Hello Mavis glad you are feeling better and hopefully you can get away for a while and enjoy what's left of the summer.
Tracy xxx