Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diet

7 REPLIES 7
Kate21

Re: Diet

Hi ems,

I am too. I didn’t have any dairy, other than milk in my two cuppas a day, for 3-4 years, now I just have it occasionally, usually organic sheep’s yogurt which I love. You said you eat nuts, I have some every morning along with 1 or 2 medjool dates, they have a good few calories in them and they’re low GI, fibre content balances out the sugars, also high in many vitamins and minerals, including calcium. I’d put some weight on as I went through the menopause, that was most of what I lost, and I felt much better for it!

Kate x

ems22

Hi kate

Thank you for your reply. Good to hear your weight stabilised, I hope mine will too, I suppose the body is just getting used to it's new normal. I've cut out dairy as I'm hormone positive. I do use olive oil in cooking and on salads etc...

Encouraging to hear that you are over 5 years on from your diagnosis too!

Kate21

Hi ems22,

Your diet is more or less what I’ve been following since I was diagnosed straight to stage 4 just over five years ago. I do include some fats such as olive oil, occasionally butter, and a little coconut oil. I only have a little dairy, and if I do it’s goat or sheep, I tend to avoid anything from cows. Think if you include more healthy fats that will help you to stop losing more weight. That said, I lost over a stone during the first few months then it plateaued off. 

Kate x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

Theres no secret I’m afraid, just keep taking the meds! I have always educated myself about the types of treatment I should be having, and extra investigative procedures such as biopsies plus discussing the treatment options with my oncologist. This wasn’t learnt immediately, just over time and isn’t necessarily what everyone would want to do.

Nicky x

Mclaire83

Nicky08 12 years!! Wow. What’s your secret? x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Gina

Over the 12 years or so since my secondary diagnosis I have maintained a healthy diet and haven’t gone one way or the other with my food choices, the same as pre cancer. Some people choose to change their eating habits dramatically others, like me, stick with what they did before. It’s all up to personal choice. If you’re worried about losing weight maybe a low fat diet isn’t the right way to go. You’re best to speak with a nutritionist or member of your oncology team if you are worried about what diet you should follow.

Nicky x

ems22

Hi

Since being diagnosed with secondary in april I've cut out white carbs, refined sugar and processed foods. I'm eating wholegrains, nuts, white meat only every now and then, fresh fish. Dont drink alcohol or fizzy drinks so I have lost a bit of weight as don't really have much fats in diet. I've been pondering lately what I can do to maintain weight at least, I've lost a few pounds every time I get weighed at treatment every 3 weeks, nurses never say anything about it but it does bother me a bit but I don't want to deviate from what I am eating. 

GinaK

Diet

Does everyone with secondary breast cancer just eat what they want or do some people stick to a low fat diet .I have been sticking to a low fat diet and my weight keeps going down, love to hear what other peoples diets are like.

Gina K.