cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foods

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Foods

Think the link has been posted a few times but not for a while now. Agree, it’s an excellent website, have found it to be a great help since my diagnosis. Kx

Highlighted

OMG. I just lost a long message. This is an unacceptable design/program bug ??when there is a change in date?? from an IT professional perspective. 8-) 8-)

Hi ladies, During my treatment in 2011 and recent treatment of taxol+purjeta+herceptin, I have always referred to www.foodforbreastcancer.com. I remember my onc once told me there are so many known and unknown factors causing cancer. Healthy diet may not help but unhealthy diet definitely contribute. 

By clicking on (or search ) specific treatment and cancer type on the home page, we can find the various related diet recommendation. For example, 

foods that amplify the anti-cancer effects of herceptin

foods that counteract herceptin's toxic side effects

foods detrimental to heart health

foods that enhance effectiveness of taxol

as well as additional useful comment. For example, 

"Many women undergoing chemotherapy develop abnormally low iron levels, which must be treated. Curcumin (found in turmeric) has been shown to be an iron chelator (a compound that removes iron from the body) as well as acting as a copper chelator, which could contribute to anemia. However, excess iron is also to be avoided during chemotherapy"

"pineapple should not be used during taxol treatment"

Copy and paste the home page at below for reference

Current evidence-based information on how to reduce risk and survive breast cancer

Food for Breast Cancer provides information on how various foods and other factors affect breast cancer risk, prevention and prognosis. The findings are drawn exclusively from scientific studies and updated as new research becomes available. Our goal is to provide breast cancer patients, survivors and those at high risk for breast cancer with information to help prevent and survive breast cancer.

In addition to web pages covering specific foods, we provide in-depth articles on what to eat for various types of breast cancer (e.g., HER2 overexpressing, ER+/PR+triple negative, orlobular) and during treatment (radiation, Taxol, aromatase inhibitor). See our article on how to optimize your breast cancer diet for information on what to eat during all stages of treatment and recovery.

We also provide extensive information on breast cancer risk factors, treatment and prognosis. For example, there are articles concerning the prognosis of triple negative, lobular, and HER2 positive breast cancer. In addition, there are news reports on the latest breast cancer reserach.

ps. I might post the same end last year or few months back. forgot

I have the Denosumab injection every 4 weeks which is also when I start my cycle of palbociclib 

Highlighted

Hi Chrystal,

I hadn’t seen this post when I replied to your message. I find the injections okay now but did used to feel tired a day or two afterwards when I first had them. How frequently do you have Denusomab? I was diagnosed before Palbociclib was given the go ahead by NICE so I don’t qualify to have it but I don’t get any side effects from my treatment, and like you have never had any problem with my blood results.

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi Kate 

I will message you if I can work out how to! 

How do you find the denosumab injections.? I seem to have a couple of rough days after having it. Like you my blood test have been good each time.

Im also on palbociclib and have not had any side effects from that and my blood test for that have always been good.

Highlighted

Hi Chrystal,

Good to hear from you. I fully agree about positivity and having something to focus on, it helped me especially in the early days following diagnosis. Likewise, I’ve never been under any illusions that what I’m doing will cure me, my aim is to keep myself as healthy as I can for whatever lies ahead! The changes haven’t been any hardship to me and I honestly enjoy my life, and do feel better for it. 

Probably better to message me directly unless anyone else wants to join us?

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi Kate 

I would be interested to know more from you.

Im not looking for a miracle cure. I think positivity can have an impact and if that comes from our relationship with food can only be a plus. And it gives me something to focus on. 

My nails and hair are looking better than ever!!

Highlighted

It’s no secret that I have made lifestyle changes since my diagnosis, which I believe have made a difference for me, but I fully respect and agree it’s an individual choice. 

I certainly didn’t follow an unhealthy path prior to my diagnosis, I ate well but had a sweet tooth, had never been overweight or smoked, didn’t do regular exercise but had an active job and walked wherever possible, but I was a real night owl and had been under considerable stress.

Following diagnosis, I did make dietary changes, made sure I did some form of exercise most days...walking, tia chi, nothing o.t.t., started going to sleep earlier most nights, and made a conscious effort to reduce any stress. I do take a fair number of supplements, with my Oncologists consent.

I’m approaching four years following diagnosis, straight to stage 4 with upper spine mets., I am NEAD and I can honestly say I have never felt better! Had bloods done on Monday prior to my Denusomab injection and was told they were “spot on”.

I’m just saying this to balance things out, I fully respect and appreciate what’s already been said, and agree that things have got heated when this subject has been discussed before. For some reason changing your lifestyle does seem to offend some members, yet surely it is all down to personal choice? For that reason I’m not going into more detail here as previously it has resulted in some personal messages I felt were unnecessary, but if anyone wants to ask me anything about what I’ve done/do then please do get in touch.

Kate x

Highlighted

Morning all

i have always eaten healthy foods , mostly veg and fruit , don t like dairy , mostly fish and occasional meat , but not processed meats 

I did take circumin  supplements , but my consultant asked me to stop .H 

e explained that another patient had raised and altered liver enzyme levels ,they had to stop treatment, the levels remained. raised , and then the patient explained she was taking various high dose supplements . I don t think there is enough evidence for me to take high dose supplements at the moment ,but it is very personal 

I have secondary breast cancer with liver mets ,started new treatment last week abemaciclib tablets and fulvestrant injections 

I was diagnosed with bc nov 2016 , have had chemo ,mastectomy,radio ,

positive thoughts everyone 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Just a quick reply from me. I have been living with secondary BC for over 11 years now and I’ve not changed a thing with my diet. I eat healthily, as I did pre SBC and I exercise by walking mainly, but haven’t cut out or added any particular food groups or supplements.

I think it is up to the individual to make any changes they feel they want to. 

Btw I’ve added my personal experience ie no changes, as I know in the past the subject of diet etc has got quite heated, to say the least!

Nicky x

Highlighted

I have cut out dairy  and meat. Eating a lot more broccoli raw and cooked and take cucurcumin which comes from turmeric

Highlighted

I am trying to eat a bit more healthy  taking turmeric capsules with black pepper and also astragalus which is supposed to help with immunity . I have secondaries in bones and lung after 15 years when I had lumpectomy lymph node clearance chemo and radio. Been on ibrance and letrezole since April 2018 which has reduced 4 of 6 tumours and 3 monthly scans show things stable x Liz 

Highlighted

Foods

Hi, I'm new to this group.
thank you for having me.
I discovered and has returned, spots in my spine. 2 months ago.
 I thought I had done all this 5 years ago, reconstruction & chemo no radiation.
My question is everybody living a healthier lifestyle?  what foods and supplements are you taking, if any.