cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hair loss on hormone treatment

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

Re: Hair loss on hormone treatment

Thanks.  I am using Viviscal Shampoo and Conditioner plus I take Viviscal vitamins and Biotin. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

At any time that my hair has thinned, or when it’s growing back after chemo, I have used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I also recommended it to a friend who’s hair had thinned after a brain haemorrhage (nothing to do with breast cancer) and she was really pleased how it helped her hair regrowth. I’ve previously bought it online.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Thanks so much.  Hoping for the best for you too.

Highlighted

Hi

i am on the 125mg of Ibrance and on cycle 17. I have widespread bone mets + lung mets - all stable at present.

i honestly think the hair thinning for me was caused by the change of brand of letrozole around cycle 8 - the pharmacy didn’t have my usual brand. Once I changed back to Accord brand the hair thinning stopped and regrowth started. (Never used minoxidil).

hair loss and weight gain is distressing - our confidence is knocked enough by this disease without these added side effects. It is fabulous that you are in remission and hopefully things will settle down with the side effects.

Highlighted

I have a single mets on my t9 which is already in remission.  The hair shedding and weight gain is affecting me do much that I am hardly rejoicing about remission.  On what dose of Ibrance are you on?  I will be reduced to 100mg next cycle.  

I finish my 7th cycle today.  How many cycles did it take for hair shedding to stop and did you ever apply Minoxidil?

Highlighted

Hi 

yes it stopped shedding and yes I had regrowth. Not as thick as in the past but thick enough that it’s not so noticeable - having a shorter style helps it look thicker too. 

looking back I also think that being given a different brand of letrozole contributed. I was initially on accord and then was given cipla brand. I saw a trail on the forum about this so insisted I was given accord again. That and the nioxin shampoo seemed to do the trick for me.

Di x

Highlighted

Diweb did your hair stop shedding and did you get regrowth taking Ibrance and Letrozole?

Highlighted

That’s brilliant news!

Try and get yourself a little break before your next scan. 

I managed to get good price on travel insurance from Boots after my last stable scan

Di x

Highlighted

Glad the news was positive x

Highlighted

Oooops should have said six months rather than four.... so a two month reprieve..... I blame that on my post scan fuzzy head!!!xxx

Highlighted

Hi Di

That's good to hear......sounds similar to what I experienced.

I had positive news with my scan. The cancer's stable and next scan in four months rather than six. It may sound dramatic but I feel I have got my life back (for a little longer anyway....Touchwood and all that). 

Take care xxx

Highlighted

Hi all

quick update - been using nioxin now (no 4) for a few weeks and thinning has definately slowed down. Not sure if this is the product or my body getting used to it all - either way hairwashing is now marginally less stressful!

keep your chin up everyone 👊🏻

Di x

Highlighted

I have been taking vitamin E capsules and using Watermans shampoo and conditioner which seems to be helping hair and nail growth. Am also on Palbociclib, letrozole and zoledex. X

Highlighted

Hi

My hair thinned after a few months on palbociclib/faslodex. I also use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (I've got it from TK Max) After 8 months of thinning it started coming back and has now thickened up again not to my original thickness but enough that I don't stress about it anymore. I am not sure if this is down to the Nioxin but I am continuing to use it just in case or whether my body has got used to palbo... who knows. Also my GP nurse said the thinning may have been made worse by me sitting in the sun too much without a hat on,.......which I did do last year (more fool me) during the long summer days we had. 

I am still on that combo but am now going into angst mode as have scans in next couple of weeks. 

Best wishes to you all. We are amazing having to cope with all that this secondary roller coaster ride throws at us.xxx

Highlighted

Thank you Stillhere. Did as you suggested, it looks very interesting, I asked my Oncologist about trials shortly after diagnosis but haven’t talked much about them since, will be doing at my next appointment! Hope it all goes well for you, Kate x

Highlighted

No problem, the trial has just started so is a dose escalation with only a few patients initially. The first arm is a single hormone therapy called AZD9833 (Astra Zeneca) They are also running it in conjunction with Palbociclib. I have been on that for 3 years already so am just on the hormone tablet. Probably best to google it for information, it will be running in a few countries and sites in UK. I think my dose may be too low as I'm heavily pre-treated but I don't get to choose. No side effects so far so I'm viewing it as a mini break! Hope that's helpful x

Highlighted

Hi Stillhere, good to hear your hair is growing back. Can I ask what trial you’re on? Understand if you prefer to not discuss it. Thanks, Kate x

Highlighted

My hair got very thin on Palbociclib/trial drug after about a year. I decided to wear a wig because too much washing made it very fragile. I tried Nioxin and even Regaine! I'm now on a new hormone trial and my hair is starting to grow again. Good luck with yours, it may stop thinning whilst still on Palbociclib.

Highlighted

I find Nioxin shampoo and conditioner very good. I buy them on Amazon. Smells great and seems to have made a difference. My hair is thinning on Palciblilb and Anastrosole x

Highlighted

I know of a couple of men who use it, and it’s really made a huge difference. Kx

Highlighted

thanks Hannah22 - will google it now x

Highlighted

Hi yes I too have suffered hair loss ,you can see my scalp clearly .So my hairdresser recommended a powder called toppik. I got mid Brown , After I blow dry hair I sprinkle powder over scalp it looks great.No one would know it's powder ,it's better than my comb over look .it's given me much more confidence .It's not expensive.worth a try x

Highlighted

Thanks for the tips - will give them a go. If all else fails will sort a wig - am thinking maybe full on a Dolly Parton or footballer 1970s mullet - got to find some humour in all this! Good luck x

Highlighted

Thanks for the response - the combo is working for my lung mets too so small price to pay really. May it continue working for us both x

Highlighted

Hi ,the best tip that I can give you is when drying hair dont rub hard with a towel just pat dry ,also try not to use hairdryer .comb with a large tooth comb so not to pull on your hair and never use a brush on wet hair .I lost all my hair on Chemo infusion first time and it grew back once i finished treatment ,not sure about the combo medication you are on at the moment .Mine is just dropping a little ,hope it helps x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi, my hair is a bit thin. I’ve been on the combo for over 18 months. I don’t tolerate the Palbociclib very well so I’ve stopped counting cycles, what with hospital admissions and little rests. It’s working for my lung mets, so although I wouldn’t be a happy bunny, what’s the alternative? I do use very expensive shampoos, volumisers and thickeners now, where before this anything on offer would do. Don’t know wether this is helpful, but best wishes. X

Highlighted

Hair loss on hormone treatment

Hi all

Has anyone lost all their hair on letrozole/palbobciclib combo? Mine started falling out about 5 weeks ago (on cycle 5) and doesn’t seem to be stopping. my onco said it should stop but at the minute I can’t walk past a comb without more dropping out. Does it ever grow back? I know it’s a bit vain but it’s like an outward sign that something is wrong inside.

thanks in advance x