Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lung biopsy

11 REPLIES 11
Community Champion

Re: Lung biopsy

Hi Walsh 

A liver biopsy is done to see if the receptor status of the lesions in the liver are the same as the original (primary) BC. It is always assumed (by most oncologists in my experience) that it will be the same and therefore your treatment for SBC is based on the receptors found on your primary - where a biopsy has usually been done as a breast lump is relatively easy to take a biopsy from. However in some cases (about 18-30% depending on which figures/research you look at) the receptor status has changed and therefore treatment will be different. This has happened to ladies on here and I even had a period of time where, after a liver biopsy was done, it was decided I was HER2+, having been HER2- for about 5 years. As it was it turned out I was only weakly HER2+ therefore didn’t benefit from Herceptin. Some ladies receptors change from hormone positive to triple negative which would mean a continued treatment of hormonals would not be effective.

It is not standard for this procedure to be done, it’s generally at the request of the patient (in my case) or if your oncologist thinks it should be done, say if you’re not responding to certain treatments in the way they would expect, or if a drugs trial stipulates you have to have one done (as has been mentioned). It also isn’t possible to perform a liver biopsy on everyone as the lesions have to be a certain size to get a sample and in a safe and accessible position within the liver - which is loaded with blood vessels and each procedure carries the risk of bleeding. Whether you can have one done or not also relies on your particular hospital having the skilled staff and equipment to carry one out. I was lucky that my local hospital does a lot of liver surgery and is well known around the country as an expert centre so they are used to carrying them out. I have also had liver surgery to remove a particularly resistant lesion last year but only because of the fact that the hospital is a leading one for this type of surgery.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Nicky x

WMJ

Hi there, 

I had my liver biopsy as part of the aurora trial. No medication involved at all they are aiming to improve the understanding of metastatic breast  cancer ( in my case) so they can improve treatment of the disease in the future.  I was asked and thought it would be useful to have it done so I could understand more about what was going on and maybe my own treatment.

I don't think they would usually do a biopsy unless unsure about what the cancer is, but I am not entirely sure on that. for us if we have cancer elsewhere it is taken to be bc. They seem to get enough information from scans etc. Again I am not entirely sure on that.

Hope that helps.

@WMJ wrote:

Hi Rachel, I wish you all the best. I had a liver biopsy on Tuesday and was very apprehensive. They took 4 samples in all. I wasn’t given a sedative but plenty of anaesthetic. I had to have a top up of anaesthetic once they got near the liver,  as I could feel it but after that I didn’t feel a thing,  just heard the clicking as the sample was taken. The thought of it was worse than the actual procedure, which is often the case. What wasn’t great was having to lie down still for at least 2 hours and then another 3 hours ‘bed rest’. Worst of all I was dying for a wee and had to wait 2 hours to go as didn’t want to use the bed pan. ? I know it is not a lung biopsy but wanted to let you know how my procedure went and how nervous I was prior to it. 

Take care Rachel and I hope you get a date soon and it all goes well. X

Hi,

Can someone tell me why a liver biopsy takes place.I have liver metastasis about eight,but no one has said anything about a biopsy.

thank you

Hi,

Can someone tell me why a liver biopsy takes place.I have liver metastasis about eight,but no one has said anything about a biopsy.

thank you

WMJ

Hi Rachel, I wish you all the best. I had a liver biopsy on Tuesday and was very apprehensive. They took 4 samples in all. I wasn’t given a sedative but plenty of anaesthetic. I had to have a top up of anaesthetic once they got near the liver,  as I could feel it but after that I didn’t feel a thing,  just heard the clicking as the sample was taken. The thought of it was worse than the actual procedure, which is often the case. What wasn’t great was having to lie down still for at least 2 hours and then another 3 hours ‘bed rest’. Worst of all I was dying for a wee and had to wait 2 hours to go as didn’t want to use the bed pan. 🥺 I know it is not a lung biopsy but wanted to let you know how my procedure went and how nervous I was prior to it. 

Take care Rachel and I hope you get a date soon and it all goes well. X

Community Champion

Hi Rachel, I haven't been on much and just saw this. I had a lung biopsy done through my back 14 years ago. I was given a mild sedative but was still awake. I still could feel them getting me prepared so they gave me more. I didn't feel anything after that and was still awake. No pain whatsoever. Good luck!  FF

I’m really not sure . I’m waiting for radiologists to give me a date. My oncologist said should know by end of this week and it will happen within a week. I was thinking needle biopsy. I have an extremely sensitive gagging reaction if anything goes near back of my throat so not sure what I’ll do if that’s what they decide. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear x thank you for your reply x

Hi Rachel,

I had a lung biopsy 3 years ago to confirm my lung mets. It was done via a bronchoscopy. Is this how yours is planned? If so I’ll share more but no point going off on a tangent if you’re not having this!

Best wishes,

Maggie

Sorry Rachel cannot give you advice,but thinking of you.xxx

Thank you

Community Champion

Hi Rachel, sending a big hug. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to support you. Just wanted to acknowledge your post and wish you good luck with any treatments. X

Lung biopsy

My recent scan has shown 16 lesions in my right lung.... add this to spine and liver mets it’s not been the best eleven months since my denovo diagnosis. Has anybody had a lung biopsy? Just looking for reassurance and any advice thanks