352842posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of the 1.5 mil to receive a letter

Highlighted

Re: One of the 1.5 mil to receive a letter

Yes you need to tick the box on the Gov website to say you need help with groceries - which I do. About a week after this I got a food parcel from the Government. I have also been shopping with Waitrose weekly online for the last 10 years and they contacted me about a week after my food parcel to say I had priority access for booking delivery slots which has been a huge relief. We are also on the round of our local milkman so I have managed to get milk, eggs, cheese and butter from them x 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

Lovely responses, thank you.

I do have access to some local vegetable and meat suppliers but so far haven't organised myself with getting the right timings for deliveries - my fault. Its just all the basics such as cleaning, laundry, tissues, loo rolls etc, you need, which inevitably you get from the supermarkets, which have been difficult to organise and that's all I need to do, get a delivery of items like that. I will look at the Co-op website though as our local convenience store is a Co-op so that could help with a few bits.  The supermarket websites I have been on don't seem to have the vulnerable question at the beginning, just at the end, when you've secured your delivery slot, which you can't do as they are all booked!  I spoke with Tesco to get on their list but they couldnt find me on the government list they have but were going to add me.  However when I answered that I could get my daughters to shop for me they immediately said it ruled me out! I'd imagine that most of the vulnerable group 'could' get someone to do their shopping for them, after all there's 750,000 volunteers out there now, so the fact I wasn't able to pass their test made me more frustrated, grrrrrr.  TBH I think I should have lied about being able to get food supplies (on the government site) and accepted any help I can get even though I didn't need the food boxes they were distributing - I didn't think it would lock me out of the supermarket sites like it has done. When my daughter goes back to work, or before that if she gets ill,  I will  update it as I think you can do.

Rant over with!

Nicky x

Highlighted

Nicky, on the website did you tick the box that you cannot get food supplies.  I ticked this box and and a few days later got an email from Asda offering me a vulnerable person's slot.   In the last few days I have had emails from Sainsbury's and Waitrose offering slots when they become available.  I guess it must depend on where you live and if they deliver to your area.  I am in a large village in Surrey with loads of supermarkets within a few miles.  I also received an emergency box of food including bread, milk, fruit and veg organised by the local council.   A couple of weeks ago I ordered fruit and veg from Chegworth Valley.  It was wonderful quality but expensive at 32 quid for a mixed box which lasted about 9 days.  As you say the food aspect is a huge worry and I do hope you get some support with this.   I am staying at home but do walk up and down the garden for about half an hour every day rain or shine.  I know I am lucky to have a garden and I really feel for people in flats.   All the best to you and everyone xx

Highlighted

Hi Nicky, yes I totally understand what you’re saying regarding putting your daughters at risk getting your shopping, our daughter and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for the last 6 months (although they have now slightly put the breaks on due to corona) so I would be devastated if she got infected at the moment whilst getting our shopping, I know it’s not ideal but hubby goes for the main shopping once a week (armed with sanitiser) and I only ask our daughter to get me stuff if I’m desperate.....hubby is not a the best at shopping 🙈 I’ve tried day after day to get a delivery slot but it’s absolutely useless you just cannot get one, so what else can we do!!! I’ve also registered on the government website but got a text back saying I needed prove of a letter which I haven’t received!

we go go for a walk every day, it’s pretty quiet here and most people are very good with the social distancing and they cross the road if anyone is walking near, it’s about balance and being sensible isn’t it, it’s very scary though, I keep thinking which one will get me first cancer or corona!!.......total nightmare!

J x

Highlighted

Nicky, Sorry to hear you are struggling with food delivery. I understood f you were on the list and had issues getting supplies they would at least deliver some basics to you as part of being one of the extremely vulnerable group. 

Up until yesterday I was going to little local shops but infrequently. 

These suggestions may or may not be useful to you but I have managed to get excellent delivery service from the coop. They only allow 20 items but they have been super. It is a free service I can always get a slot and you can use it as often as you want. However they only deliver to certain areas. Maybe check the website out and see if they deliver to your area.

I have also managed to get fruit and veg delivered weekly from Riverfords organic. You may have something similar in your area, if this isn’t available. I am a veggie so this has been a godsend. You would have to check periodically when they are taking new customers. We get a mixed box and enjoy looking for new and interesting ways to use up what we get. I also get milk from them and from this week salad. 

We we have an excellent deli nearby who now delivers or you can click and collect. They are doing ready meals prepared by their restaurant chef and other things. Maybe check out if you have anything similar. Many companies are diversifying in order to stay afloat and what isn’t available one day may well be another. Again apologies if you have exhausted all these options but thought it may well be useful.

Many people are now also volunteering to help, this too may be an avenue you could explore or perhaps have already done so. 

it is a very difficult time and I hope you can get some help with this.

Keep safe x

Highlighted

I too will go out if I feel the need to do so, as I live in apartment so have no outdoor space. I will only go out if it looks quiet, I have excellent views from the apartment, as we have floor to ceiling windows to look out from.  I am on exemestane and everolimus, my lymphocytes are low at the moment, had blood results and discussion on Thursday with consultant, so I am guessing that’s why I have had the letter.

I have found it a psychological blow, more than anything. I only read it yesterday afternoon so I am sure It will pass. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi WMJ

I had my letter about 3 or 4 weeks ago, about the time the general public were told to self isolate. It came from my GPs and I had also received a text message from the government coronavirus department on the Monday of that week stressing the importance of staying inside for a minimum of 12 weeks. 
I expect more letters will go out when a treatment changes (one that would mean you are at risk) or even when a patient has been identified as being at risk but the initial letter hasn’t already been sent. 
I have since registered on the government website as one of the extremely vulnerable 1.5m which should enable me to get extra services however I still can’t get any form of supermarket delivery, even for the slots that are being released supposedly to people like us as I can ask my daughters to do my shopping for me - and put them at risk obviously! Sorry that’s my big complaint at the moment.

The letter and subsequent texts are quite worrying as they say not to go out at all but as I live in a quiet village I do go out for walks and manage to avoid everyone who might be also out and about as there is plenty of space and good visibility.  The huge frustration is the food shopping aspect and having to organise that with military precision! Hence the annoyance with the supermarkets not helping as much as they could still. Plus we don’t know what the government will do with this group once the general lockdown has been eased. From all reports it sounds like we will be like it for a long time which really is unacceptable for everyone’s mental and physical health.

Nicky x

Highlighted

I got my letter a few weeks ago now but I also had another one direct from the Christie yesterday as well. It will be because the ‘ciclib’ family of drugs (Palbociclib, ribociclic etc) are protein kinase inhibitors and they're specifically listed in the Gov guidance. I am still going out for physical exercise only as we don’t meet people out in the fields where we live and I think it’s good for me physically and mentally to keep fit and get some fresh air x 

Highlighted

No WMJ, it was about 5 weeks ago when Coronavirus got serious in this country.

J x 

Highlighted

Was that this week Rosie53? 

Highlighted

I’m also under Christies but haven’t received a letter however my oncologist did ring me and told me I need to do the shielding for 12 weeks due to being on Ribociclib.

J x

Highlighted

I have today received a letter saying I need to stay indoors 😩Not entirely sure why I have just got this. It came direct from Christie’s, I am guessing it is because my lymphocytes are low and will likely decrease as time goes on with my meds. I am booked in for scans next week, which we’re  organised prior to the date of the ‘shielding’ letter. I guess I will need to confirm I am okay to go and have them done.

Anyone else recently had a letter ?

Highlighted
Community Champion

No Rosie, no walks! Indoors means just that. What if someone suddenly dashed over to you while you were walking and they were incubating the virus? Stay safe. Exercise in the garden. All my scans and clinics have been cancelled until further notice as it is deemed unsafe for me to visit hospital. Taken off Palbo two weeks ago for the same reason.X

Highlighted

Hello all,

Received my letter from my GP. It was later than expected. My daughter is a staff nurse at Oldham A&E she did my bloods at home yesterday day ready for my next scan. No date for the scan yet but I'm I right thinking it will be cancelled? I normally attend the Victoria suite at Oldham royal for my scan results. Keep safe all.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

I initially had a text last Monday saying I was one of the 1.5 million extremely vulnerable people that the nhs have recognised. I have since had a letter from my GP backing this up. I have registered on a link that I was sent just in case I need to use one of the volunteers that are currently being recruited to help with us. At the moment my daughters are both local (one has moved in with her sister nearby as her job in London stopped, she is a chef) so I am able to get shopping as they are doing it for me. However if they become ill I may need to use the service so thought it best to register.

I had a letter on Friday to say that my CT, which was booked some time ago for 30th April had been cancelled. I was expecting this as I have read that CT are used as a diagnostic tool for pneumonia and therefore all routine/planned CTs would likely to be cancelled. As I have tumour markers done I am hoping they will reflect if my new treatment is working. I am currently on chemo and just hoping that it continues but I expect it will depend on the resources available if my hospital becomes busy as the situation gets worse.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Yes I had 3 months of Fulvestrant sent out to me this week, yes the hospitals are trying their best to minimise patients going to the hospital where possible, I’m due my CT in 3 weeks but don’t know if I will be having it??

I live just outside Manchester and even here where it’s usually pretty busy it is unusually quiet, it’s good to see that people are being sensible.

J x

Highlighted

Hi, yes it is scary. Like you I'm staying in and only having one walk a day. I live in Cornwall so it's quiet anyway so when I walk I see very few people. The beaches have been closed though as some people were gathering there. 

I heard yesterday my meds will be delivered to me. 2 mths supply this time. Al so fulvestant will be done at home and bloods. I think the NHS are doing all they can to keep us safe. Hope they manage to stayou safe too. Take care, stay safe xx

Highlighted

I haven’t had a letter but my oncologist rang me to say that I do fall into the 12 week isolation group because I am on Ribociclib.
I think maybe because there are so many cancer patients it is quite complex so this could be why some people have had a letter and some haven’t?? 

So apart from one daily walk I am indoors until I’ve been told otherwise but I must admit it is a very scary time isn’t it, as if we don’t have enough to deal with living with this horrible disease we now also have the corona risk too!

J x

Highlighted

Thank you. I still haven't had a letter. I may check next week. I'm actually staying in and social distancing if I go for a daily walk. Hope you stay well and stay safe. 

Jennie x

Highlighted

Hi, I got my letter on Monday.  It came from my GP practice.  It states that I have been identified as someone at risk of severe illness if I catch Coronavirus and the safest course of action is to stay at home at all times and avoid all face to face contact for at least twelve weeks from today except from carers and healthcare workers who I must see as part of my medical care.   There is a number to call if you are alone and have no contacts to support you with getting food and medicine.  Also I get a text everyday reminding me and offering suggestions.   It lists all the high risk categories and I am in one because I am on a protein kinase inhibitor (abemaciclib).  If I were you I would contact your GP to clarify.  All the best xx

Highlighted

Thank you. I had a telephone appointment from my onchologist today and that was his advice anyway. I guess we all just have to do the same, regardless of receiving a letter or not. It makes sense to protect ourselves from this a little more than others. 

Take care. Stay well ☺

Highlighted

Hi Jennie

I am one of those and to be fair I was a bit surprised. I finished chemo last Aug and was told my immune system would be ok in 3 months - here I am 7 months later with a letter. My letter came from my G.P on behalf of the NHS, it might be worth checking with them what their advice to you is.

The letter basically says the NHS has identified you as someone at risk of severe illness if you catch covid-19. It recommends you stay at home for 12 weeks. What you need to do if you get symptoms and other general advice.

Hope this helps

Joemic x 😊

Highlighted

One of the 1.5 mil to receive a letter

Hi all, hope you're staying safe.

When the government said that 1.5m would have a letter about shielding this week so many people said to me "that's you then."

But as no letter has yet arrived I'm thinking it's not me.

I'm not fully sure what the letter will say if It does arrive.

Just wondered how many of you have had one. Is it something I should have had and should check with GPS?

Oh well, not a worry I hope. 

Take care all,stay safe. 

Jennie x