Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of the 1.5 mil to receive a letter

72 REPLIES 72
Highlighted

Re: One of the 1.5 mil to receive a letter

Hi

I have had the government food parcel delivered for the last 6 weeks despite changing my answer to the food question 3 times! I'm ok for supermarket delivery so don't need the parcel but the man delivers it so early in the day I cannot ask him not to leave it - will put a note on the door as you suggested Nicky. We have been giving it to an elderly neighbour on her own so it's being used.

Hope everyone is coping ok & getting their treatment.

Helen x

Highlighted

Hi , I get a call every 2weeks to see how I am , and they ask if I’m coping ok with shopping,  getting medication etc x I mentioned it also to carol that I didn’t require the food packageas I was fine with getting priority shop .So if you get a call just mention it to the caller . 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi WMJ

I have also been wondering the same. I filled in the government online form originally ticking the box to say I could have help and it certainly excluded me from all priority supermarket shopping/delivery slots.  When I changed it a couple of weeks ago I suddenly had emails from 4 supermarkets within a few days!  I have been reluctant to change it back and have taken to sticking a note on the door for the parcel not to be left.  Despite now having (finally, hooray) got a delivery yesterday I am still reluctant to change my status on the online form.  I will watch this space!

Nicky x

Highlighted

Thanks that is a great help.

Highlighted

No , its priority  shopping  even if you have family  who help out. So I have ordered online with Asda and a have a reoccurring slot every Thursday .

my daughter picks some shopping from Aldi and also the farm shop .

Highlighted

Yes I  still am able to access priority shopping .

Highlighted

Did you lose internet shopping priority once you cancelled the food parcel? 

I have only just been able to order an internet shop and don't want to lose that.

Not sure how everyone else feels but I think I am more vulnerable now we are easing out of lockdown. I really don't want OH going supermarket either as he could bring the virus back with him. 

Highlighted

Hi 

I went back on the gov.uk website to cancel my package as I received a second one also and I knew that there would be people who needed it more then myself 

Highlighted

Hi, Has anyone been able to cancel their food parcel whilst remaining on the list for supermarket deliveries? 

I have had another food parcel today and will drop the non perishable items at the food bank, however it is a real shame t is being delivered to someone who doesn’t require it. 

Highlighted

Oh I’m glad you got it sorted.

I’m okay thanks, treatment been a bit up and down due to low white blood count, I’m just hoping it’s going to settle down soon!

J x

Highlighted

Hi Janette,

Thank you for your reply. How are you, how’s your treatment going?

I had told myself exactly that, if a parcel should arrive, just treat it like an order!

I’d just started to fill in my details on line when my phone rang and it was someone calling to ask if I’d received the letter! A very nice gentlemen offered to do it for me as we spoke, and he explained that I would only get the food parcels if he requested them on my behalf, and that refusing them would not affect my access to delivery slots. I stressed to him I didn’t want any food parcels and he assured me I wouldn’t get any, so that’s a relief. I’m glad I delayed filling it in now because I’m sure I wouldn’t have requested getting deliveries in fear of getting the parcels! He also said we can change the information given at any time, should our needs change.

Hope everyone is as well as can be expected? How I wish the weather would improve!

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi

I had my letter during the first week but didn't register straight away, however I DO have online shopping slots with Morrisons two weeks in advance, enter details of self shielding in the 'delivery' info section. I have since registered, saying that I have help with shopping. I thought the supermarkets only get informed about people who DONT have any help? Am I wrong? 

Highlighted

Hi Kate, sorry only just seen this but I think your questions have been answered.

You have the option to give the parcel straight back to the driver (if you manage to catch him!) I haven’t cancelled it on the government website because I don’t want to lose my supermarket delivery slot. Like you I also live in a small cul-de-sac and don’t want my neighbours knowing but like my hubby said it could be a delivery of anything eg amazon??

Take care J x

Highlighted

Thank you Nicky for the advice and information.

My real concern is that I don’t want any food boxes being delivered because I still haven’t told anyone, other than some very close friends, that I have cancer. I live alone but in a very small cul de sac where many of the neighbours have lived for years, so I don’t want anyone wondering why, although I suppose it could be a delivery of anything, so maybe I’m worrying unnecessarily. Good that it makes getting deliveries easier though, I’ve been fairly lucky in that I’ve managed to get click and collect slots, but obviously deliveries would be safer!

I hope you’re okay? I remember you were starting a different treatment, I hope that’s going well.

Hopefully the glorious weather that we had will return soon, everything just seems easier when the sun is shining! 

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi everyone. I got a slot after a register on the government site. Then I received a box which made me feel bad because I felt others needed it more than me. I immediately cancelled the box by going back in the government site and ticking yes I can get food delivered. But yesterday another box arrived. I told the driver is had cancelled and he said ohe don't worry keep this one and you won't get any more. I don't know of a food bank so shared the food with my elderly mother in law and daughter who is pregnant. I'm really hoping I don't get another box next week. It's so kind. But feel as I have a slot with Asda others deserve it more.

Take care ladies. Stay strong, stay safe xx💕

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi kate

I seem to have had the same experience as Janette regarding the supermarket delivery slots and the emergency food box so I’ll add my bit before Janette comes along.

You need to register on the government website first. Reply ‘no’ to the question regarding have you got help with getting supplies. This then appears to add you onto the list that supermarkets have been given. One or more supermarket should then contact you by email, hopefully within the week. However delivery slots are still a few weeks further on than that so you wouldn’t be able to get one immediately. Regarding the emergency box you would get one delivered but you can refuse it at the door or re-distribute it via a food bank (how you get it to one of those I don’t know, when we’re in complete isolation).

From my experience Asda seem to have the best delivery scheme in place as they open up delivery slots for quite a few weeks ahead, whereas others only do a week at a time (if you check out money saving expert website there’s a whole section of which ones release slots and when). The good thing about the Asda site is you can make your delivery slot a recurring one (the others probably do as well but I didn’t get as far as getting an initial slot let alone a recurring one with Sainsbury’s). So you should be able to get one even though you have only just got your letter. You can also phone Tesco, they have a phone number listed on their website regarding deliveries for vulnerable people) and they can manually add you if you have had a letter but not received an email from them. You must reply that you can’t get help with food shopping - my mistake was to say I could, which immediately meant they wouldn’t add me, even though I’m relying on my daughter who can’t do it all the time.

Hope that helps and good luck, it’s very frustrating for such a basic necessity when we’re having to deal with so much more going on in our lives.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi Janette,

How are you? I read your post saying you’d had a further delay with your treatment, hope that’s been resolved and things are now back on track.

Can I ask you about getting your letter, I understand that I need to register to get a delivery slot, but I don’t want the parcels, did your parcel come before or after you registered? Just trying to work out how to go about it, I only got my letter at the weekend, and thinking I may struggle to get any slots now anyway!

Hope everyone is as well as can be expected, all things considered!

Kate x

Highlighted

Nicky, maybe you could leave a note on your door to let the driver know??? I think I will do that, I don’t want to change anything on the website in case it messes up my ASDA slot!

J x

Highlighted

I agree the questions are difficult & I also said I had someone at home, so guessing I wouldn’t be offered supermarket delivery slots. I did however have a text and email from the local council saying they noted I haven’t opted for the food box but let them know if things change. My OH is doing extra shopping we need other than milk, veg, fruit & salad we have delivered plus We do a click and collect at a local deli.

Highlighted

Yes Pawsome, that’s what I’m going to do, hand it back to the driver.

Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the sunshine!

J x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi pawsome

I did wonder this and phoned our county council helpline (they distribute the parcels) and was told to update my status. It really is a minefield. I have secured my slot but I guess it could be reviewed, I had hoped that if I secured a recurring slot and got in the system so to speak I would be OK. I can’t believe this one question on the government site (which actually asked if some one can help you with supplies and not can you get a supermarket delivery) is tied in with securing a supermarket delivery! I may have to change it back before I lose this slot. The lady I spoke to on the helpline said ‘have you managed to get a supermarket delivery, in which case change your status’

As it is the delivery came too early in the morning for us to hear the knock at the door so I couldn’t tell the driver to use it elsewhere and as we are completely self isolating I can’t take it to a food bank, which was suggested by the helpline lady if I didn’t need the items. If only it could have been a simpler system and 2 questions rather than the all encompassing one question.

Thanks for the tip though.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Yes you can donate to a food bank or the other option is you can hand the box back to the driver - it says this on the letter that comes with the box - that way it goes to someone who needs it more but it keeps you on the list so you can get priority delivery slots with a supermarket x

Highlighted

If you have a local food bank you may be able to donate unwanted items from the food boxes to them.  Some food banks are running collection schemes for people who have to self isolate but want to donate.  Good news that people are finally getting supermarket slots.  Love to all xx

Highlighted

Morning Nicky, yes I’ve done exactly the same thing with the food parcel, it was a lovely surprise getting it yesterday as I really wasn’t expecting it but I said to hubby that we don’t actually need one as we now have a reoccurring delivery slot with Asda, it’s unfair to get get one of those and also a delivery slot, the food parcel would be better going to people who are more vulnerable like you say so I’ve also opted out of this too.

J x

Highlighted

Nicky - just to warn you quite a few of us have been told that if you update your status on the Gov website to say you don’t need help with food this then means you are taken off the vulnerable database that they share with the supermarkets so it might affect your ability to get online delivery slots. This happened to someone and they lost their regular slot as they weren’t considered vulnerable and needing help anymore. You might want to change your status back to what it was on the website xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

I did post a reply yesterday but for some reason it isn’t here. I admit I briefly saw a message once I hit ‘post’ but didn’t realise it wouldn’t have posted.

Anyway I had written that the same thing happened to me, as for Janette. I also got a parcel of essential items delivered yesterday morning and also managed to get signed up with Asda for recurring delivery slots as I hadn’t got any further with Sainsbury’s who had no delivery slots available. Hooray, panic over - although my first delivery slot isn’t for 2 weeks away so I’m glad I updated my details on the government website now rather than leave it. So, good luck with everyone who is still struggling to get food and grocery deliveries, at least that’s one less worry for me now. As for the delivery parcel I have changed my status (again) on the government website so I won’t receive any more as it’s not really things I need on a repeated basis and someone even more vulnerable can receive it.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Morning ladies, well I had a knock at the front door this morning, there was a guy dropping off a big box, had no idea what it was, he said it’s your government food parcel!! I was gobsmacked, really wasn’t expecting this, and the stuff that has come is really good and I can use it all, so at the moment I can only praise this government food/shopping scheme!

A recurring delivery slot with ASDA and  a food parcel all within 4 days!

J x

Highlighted

Wow! That was quick.

Yes may account for it....I'm in an epicenter!

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

The continuing saga of trying to get a supermarket delivery when you are isolating for 12 weeks!

I decided to update my status as I'd previously said I could get help which is probably why none of the supermarkets had been in touch. I have decided, with the possibility of my daughters soon not being able to help (if they end up having to go back to work etc), I need to get organised with a delivery knowing it could take a week or more to get a delivery slot .  So I changed my status to say that I did need help. Great news, I suddenly got emails from Sainsburys and Asda offering me to register.  All well and good except I still can't get a delivery slot!  Will be trying again tomorrow and also see if I get any emails from Tesco as that is my usual shop so I know exactly what I can get from them.  So, it seems the principle works, it's just getting the actual process to work!

Good luck everyone I hope we can all soon get reliable food and grocery deliveries.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi Seabreeze, thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. 

Highlighted

Maybe it depends where you live??? I registered on Monday evening and got emails from the supermarkets yesterday, I didn’t try getting a slot at Sainsbury’s or Tesco I only did ASDA, the first available slot was 4th May, so not too bad really.

J x

Highlighted

Hi Woodsbonsai,

I suggest you email ASDA (customer services/support). It may speed the process up. That's what I did, took about a week. 

I think there may be quite long delays from registering on govt website - I did so nearly 4 weeks ago and to date only 1 of the 2 supermarket I contacted directly (saying I had letter from GP re shielding) got back to me.

If I hadn't gone direct I may still be waiting? Still had to wait 2 weeks for a slot but that's ok, couldn't get any slot anytime anywhere (Martini ad?!) before that.

XXX Seabreeze

Highlighted

Hi rosie53, that's good news.  I've finally received my letter and I'm registered on the Gov. website but heard nothing from the Supermarkets.  I have an Asda delivery pass that I've had for ages, but really struggling to gets delivery spots.  Had my last one today and don't know when I'll get one again,  Maybe I'll hear from them before too long.

Highlighted

Hi ladies, to wanted to say thanks for the info re: delivery slots, I got my shielding letter, registered on the government website and had an email from Sainsbury’s, Tesco and ASDA already, I’ve booked a reoccurring delivery slot with ASDA.

J x 

Highlighted

Hi Kindensurprise, I think I may have had it very mildly.  I did have some symptoms, slight sore throat, sniffles, not being able to taste or smell things, but I didn't have the alarming high temperature or endless coughing that he had.  He was barely able to get out of bed.   We both started off feeling shivery and sick but I was first and I thought it was to do with my treatment and rang my chemo hot line who said as long as my temperature was normal and I had no further sickness just to keep an eye on things.  All this kicked off a few days before the lockdown started.   I have been lucky but no idea why. He stayed upstairs and I stayed downstairs for three weeks.  I left meals and drinks for him on the landing.  Fortunately we have a downstairs shower room which I use.   I wore  rubber gloves and washed and sprayed things endlessly.  The house has never been so clean!   I know we are very lucky to have enough space to be able to keep separate and also so to have a garden so I can get out every day for some air.  I hope you stay well and stay  safe xx

Highlighted

You’re welcome. Yes it is really easy. Just sit tight for a bit as like I said it takes a while for you to be added to the database. Give it a good week and then it might be worth trying some of the big supermarkets via telephone to see if your name has been added to the list. X

Highlighted

Thank you pawsome, I’ve just done, it’s pretty quick and easy isn’t it.

J x

Highlighted

Rosie53 - you need to register yourself on the Gov website and say you need help with groceries. They will then share your details with the supermarkets but it can take between 1 and 3 weeks for the supermarkets to get the updated database with new names that have been added.  You can’t check out as a vulnerable person - each supermarket has its own system but basically they need to confirm you are on their vulnerable database first and then they will grant you special access to book a slot x

Highlighted

Ah okay thank you seabreeze, I have been trying to sort out a delivery but so far been unsuccessful, I can’t see anywhere on ASDA for “vulnerable delivery” 

I will log on to the government site.

J x

Highlighted

Hi Rosie,

Just in case you aren't aware you need to log onto the government website to confirm you've rec'd a letter re shielding. The government is then supposed to share the list with supermarkets however that wasn't happening for ages for me so I emailed a few supermarkets directly and went with the first one that replied (about a week later since they are somewhat inundated).

XXX Seabreeze 

Highlighted

Hi catokitty

Glad to hear that your husband is on the mend, can I ask how you managed not to catch the virus yourself from him?

all the best , Kinden x

Highlighted

I got a letter from the Department of Health today, how strange that several of us are getting them now, 4 weeks into lockdown. It has freaked me out a bit.

I haven't been out except to walk the dog and haven't been in contact with anyone outside my household, I am lucky enough to live in a small town between fields and a beach so there's no need to see anyone, and people are very good to move away from each other. 

My husband can get the shopping, so I am fortunate in that regard too. Hope you all get sorted with delivery slots soon.

However, I have teenaged children, and I have been in close contact with them, and my husband, since lockdown began. Am I now to stop sitting on the sofa next to them, eat my meals separately?? 

I had a phonecall from my oncologist secretary this afternoon, cancelling my appointment for next Monday. I haven't had the CT scan, or even a letter about it, which I was due to have before I see him in any case, so it was probably a pointless appointment anyway, but it doesn't stop me feeling like a second class citizen.

stay safe , all the best, 

kinden x

Highlighted

Well I’ve received 2 shielding letters today, one from my GP surgery and one from The Christie.

Going to try and book a delivery slot now!! 
J x

Highlighted

Nicky, yes you can certainly update your status re having contacts to help with food shopping.  My neighbour did some shopping for me but then her family got sick so I went back onto the site and ticked the box saying no help with shopping and it was after that Asda emailed me.  My husband can get out but he has had the virus and is still recovering slowly and I don't want him to risk going to a supermarket.   The cough is very lingering.    The food box did contain some soap and shower gel but of course for domestic basics you have to have access to a supermarket.  Good luck with it.  

Highlighted

Yes my GP said the same thing - the extremely vulnerable category is nothing to do with them. If you haven’t had a letter you can register yourself on the Gov website and the NHS will then check your details to see if you should be on the list. The Gov website asks for your NHS number to assist with this. If the NHS then think you should be on the list you should hear around 1 week later. Not everyone who has cancer will be on the list you have to be on particular types of treatment to be put on it. But if you’ve tried all that and still not heard then your oncologist might be the best bet rather than your GP x 

Highlighted

I also didn’t get a letter but I have a delivery pass with Asda that I’ve used for years.  I registered on the Gov.direct website and said I was ok with shopping - which at that point I was.  Now I can’t get delivery slots at all so my husband has to go to the store to shop and that puts me at risk.  I spoke to my GPS who said it was nothing to do with them.

Highlighted

Thanks for the info ladies, I think I will get in touch with my gp or oncologist secretary tomorrow for a letter so I can see if I can get a delivery slot sorted.

J x

Highlighted

Hi I've found Asda really helpful. They tolde if you get a letter from your hospital. Register with the government site and then the government pass your name to supermarkets. I did the registration but felt nothing was going to come from it until Asda were the first to email. Asda do recurring slots so I went with the. You still need to find a free slot but then press recurring to secure. Good look with it xx

Highlighted

I didn't realise that you could ask for government help or that you might get a delivery slot if you were in the vulnerable category. Once you get a slot do you have that every week? I've been so bogged down with changing treatments that I've yet to sort out a system but we have had lovely volunteer neighbours and hubby can cut a mean dash through Tesco at odd hours when it's not busy!

Highlighted

Hi everyone. I didn't get a letter from my GP so the best I could do was share a slot I managed to get with Asda for my elderly mother in law and add to her list. Easy enough as I orider her food weekly in this way anyway. But this means my husband has to go and sort out what's hers and ours and put her at risk of contact. 

This frustrated me so I rang the doctor and asked about the letter. He sent one. I got on the government site and registered and then had a follow up letter from the hospital too. But as you said no delivery slots available and still back to square one. Then this week Asda and Tesco emailed offering me a priority slot. I've now got a recurring slot with Asda until October! I've always had online shops with Tesco but it appears they don't do recurring slots. Can't tell you how relieved I felt. My husband is scared ofor going out to shop incase he brings the virus home and my daughter is pregnant so I won't let her help. Good luck with it. Push for it if you need to. It gives you peace of mind. Take care. Stay safe 💕xx