cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIP.....YES YES YES!!

Carolyn52

Re: PIP.....YES YES YES!!

Helena
Everyone is very welcome here or anywhere we love new input but as a primary bc ..it's not a good place for you especially as you have had a good outcome now .
Thank you for replying ..I had a panic moment about the tax thingy but I'm going to be ok.

yes ..weather here is iffy but its colder again but makes it easier to sit down and enjoy some tapestry time .
Hugs Carolyn xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Carolyn

Oops I didnt realise that you had posted on the secondaries, I hope it was ok to reply to you on there 🙂  Yay a tax refund is very welcome, I got one last year and it was a lovely surprise I did not know I was due one, it was something to do with the amount I was taxed in 2013!!

Finished the last one I will post it later and I have now started on the commission my friend has asked me to do, she has left it up to me but it has to be art deco style.

Hope you are having a lovely day even though the weather is rubbish

helena xx

Barton

Well done, Carolyn - everyone loves a tax refund!

Also, well done, Maldives - glad you have PIP!

Hugs. Barton.x

Maldives

Hi Ladies,

my PIP took 3 months but it was backdated to when I first put the claim in. That means the longer you wait it builds up into a nice little amount.

I love my blue badge, be careful tho as most carparks you still have to pay, also if you dont show the clock side you can get a ticket too.

Maldives

Hi Ladies, my PIP took 3 months but it was backdated to when I first put the claim in. That means the longer you wait it builds up into a nice little amount.

I love my blue badge, be careful tho as most carparks you still have to pay, also if you dont show the clock side you can get a ticket too.

Carolyn52

Thanks Barton
Phew I was worried as I'm due a small tax return and thought it might reverse to a tax demand !!
At least something that's tax free !!
Xxxx
Barton

Hello Carolyn, Ladybowler is right - definitely not taxable. Apparently you don't even mention it to the tax people - they don't have to know anything about it. I know for certain because it's something I specifically asked the Hospiscare lady who came to complete my DS1500 with me when I first applied.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hiya Helena
Welcome over the bridge to the secondary threads ... !
Thank you so much for replying though as I had a fear of getting a tax bill soon !!!
Looking forward to seeing more tapestries soon.
Hugs ..Carolyn xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Carolyn

I have just checked with Colin as he gets PIP and it is not taxable

Helena xx

Carolyn52

Hello
Silly question but is PIP taxable ? I get pensions and just wondering this year whether I will have to pay tax as I will have gone over my personal allowance with pip this year,
stresshead

Brilliant news Janette. No more worrying about that...go celebrate. x

Barton

Oh well done, Janette! Excellent news! You can relax for another 3 years now. Yes, it's a huge relief.

Hugs. Barton.x

rosie53

Hi ladies, just want to let you all know that I got a letter today to that my PIP has been renewed again for another 3 years!!! So relieved, I've been really worrying about it, at least I can relax again financially wise as this really helps to take the pressure off doesn't it.
Hugs Janette xxx
Barton

Don't forget to let us know how you get on, Sandra.

Hugs. Barton.x

Sandra59

That's great news Garry, the money will help you a lot.

I will make an appointment with my GP, I will probably have to wait a few weeks to see my preferred one as most appointments seem to be with locums. Hopefully she will agree to it, she was very supportive when I was first diagnosed.  Thaks everyone. 

Sandra x

Sandra59

That's great news Garry, the money will help a lot.

I will make an appointment with my GP, I will probably have to wait a few weeks to see my preferred one as most appointments are with locums. Hopefully she will agree to it, she was very supportive when I was first diagnosed.  Thaks everyone. 

Sandra x

Barton

Brilliant, Crusty! That is excellent news.

Hugs. Barton.x

Barton

Hello Sandra, I assume your GP knows of your diagnosis? Why not ask him/her? My GP was very obliging. Good luck.

I have to say, I think your Onc is very mean, but mine refused too. I think it's partly that they worry you will assume the worst, and partly because, frankly, they just don't have time to fill out forms - that was the impression I got when I asked my Onc. Give your GP at try.

Hugs. Barton.x

Edited to add: sorry, just seen Kirky's suggestion of the same thing! I really ought to read all posts before I reply!

Crusty

Hi all,  an update.  good News, My wife got awarded yesterday the enhanced rate for living and mobility. The Gp signed the ds1500. It does seem that they take a different line to the Onc's. I believe some Onc's look at it in such a way that they can keep you going for a long time with their treatment (good news)  but the doctors take the stance that clinically nothing  can be certain as this disease is so unpredictable.  

The Macmillan welfare advisor literally rubbed her hands together when I popped the Ds1500 over to her. I think they take pride in trying to access as much as they possibly can for those in need. This award will be massive for us when my wife's wages get halved shortly.   

Garry

Crusty

Poxy iPad double post 😁

rosie53

Hi Sandra, yes it is harsh!
My onc said exactly the same though as did my Mac nurse, so I asked my GP who was more than happy to fill in the DS1500 form in....don't give up you are more than intitled to it!
Hugs Janette xxx
kirky_68

Sandra that seems harsh. Have you tried your GP, I had my DS1500 completed by GP rather than ONC.

Sandra59

Hi the Macmillan welfare worker was looking into me applying for PIP but she rang me today to say that my Onc doesn't think i am ready for it yet.  Considering he was suggesting that i may prefer to have just palliative care rather than any chemotherapy only a month ago I'm not sure what to make of that.  I applied for PiP last year, a few months before being diagnosed with SBC as I was having mobility issues but was turned dosn as they said i could walk more than 20 metres, I argued that I couldn't walk more than 20 metres without being in pain or out of breath but they refused my appeal. I'm not sure what to do next as i had to take early retirement a few years ago and the extra money would be useful.

Sandra

Moijan

I understand and accept all point of view so far, however, I do have quite a few other bits and prices, apart from chemo/bc which would need to be declared and one company knew ndly told me that no one would touch me with a barge pole! I actually know that isn't true... it was staysure and I still get ads from them and have complained.

I just don't want to further complicate stuff for myself just now..... moijanxx
Barton

Hello Janette, yes, I got awarded the higher rate! And yes, I discovered the blue badge is an automatic right, which is why I applied. Thanks, though.

Didn't realise the key was that big, Carolyn! Have ordered one from the Blue Badge Company. Bit expensive with the P&P, but if it's that big I can understand why! Not sure I will want to cart that around then.

Hugs. Barton.x

Edited to add: Moijan, if you are worried about the travel insurance implications, why not just apply for PIP as soon as you get home? Unless you are planning on travelling a lot more still.

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

I agree with what kirsty has said.

In fact I have never been told I am terminal, I have been told I am incurable - slightly different!

When I questioned Eurotunnel (who used to give worldwide cover) about how they viewed 'terminal' they have said (on a couple of occasions) that they class terminal as being no longer responding to treatments and having been told you only a few weeks to live.  I don't think any of us would be travelling if we only had a few weeks to live.

I don't feel there is any conflict of interest as it is possible I will die within 6 months (as the DS1500 implies) but then so could any of us, equally I could liver longer than 6 months, as could any of us.  I also take the same view as someone else mentioned on here some time back that the 6 months is if you didn't receive any treatment - whereas most of us choose to have treatment and therefore hope to live longer than 6 months.

If you are thinking of going to Oz do have a look at the travel insurance thread.  There's plenty of info on there although a lot of the companies only insure for single trip European holidays, not worldwide.  However AXA PPP who I use at present do cover for annual worldwide including USA (which is normally a complete no go area for SBC travel insurance).  I am sure my annual policy is about £350 which I think is a very good deal considering how much each individual single trip can cost for insurance.  This covered USA and Canada as we went to family wedding last year but if that continent is excluded the premium is usually much less.  Also they don't ask all the medical questions, just a few very straight forward ones and the criteria you have to meet are being fit to travel, stable, not travelling to receive medical treatment and not terminal (same as Eurotunnel).

Hope this helps, as does PIP when we need it for extra parking costs, petrol or public transport costs and, for me, lack of income as I have had to give up work at a time when I would have been working more!

Nicky x

Moijan

Thank you. It cost me more than my air fare to Oz last time to get insured, tho. I might consider it after my trip.....
moijan xx
kirky_68

Oh Moijan you're turning down over £7000 a year.

1. The definition for the DS1500 isn't that you're terminal. The GP is asked to confirm:

Clinical features which indicate a severe progressive condition (examination findings and results of investigations including staging if appropriate)

and

Relevant treatment including response and planned treatment/interventions that may significantly alter the prognosis

2. I use InsuranceWith for my travel insurance. They ask an absolute ton of questions but are you terminal is not one of them. £70 for a week in Spain for me and hubby.

I don't know your medical history but I have mets to bones, lungs, liver and lymph nodes, take blood thinners and pain meds for nerve damage so while not at death's door I do have widespread mets.

I don't believe I have been anything less than honest in both my PIP and insurance and don't see a conflict.

Why don't you get a quote for a notional trip and see if they'll cover you and if so I would seriously give PIP some thought.

Paula

Moijan

I do think that is is really great that you are all succeeding in getting PIP.

The only reason im not applying is because I really want to travel and will need travel insurance....

the first question I always get asked is, has anyone ever told you, you are 'terminal'.....so once I ask my gp to fill in the forms....its going to be on my record as 'terminal' and so unfortunately, theres a conflict of interest there.

the last time I travelled to oz, I had to supply records of the previous Two years appointments with my doctors, detailling the reason.  

I also have a friend who is a gp. She says that in the event of a claim, insurance companies contact the gp for a printout. So, sadly, I havent applied for PIP. 😼

Moijanxx

Carolyn52

Barton
I have one of those loo keys ..very useful but its huge and as I carry a small messenger bag most of the time ..it takes up so much space ....to be honest ..I have had mine a year now and never used it !!
Carolyn xxx
rosie53

Barton, did you get awarded PIP at the higher rate?? If so you are automatically entitled to the blue badge it's just a case of applying for it.
Hugs Janette xx
Barton

Brilliant, Janette! That is great news.

Thanks, Maldives, I have already applied for a blue badge - posted the application on Friday, so hope to hear soon. Just as a note here - a friend has said that if you are entitled to a blue badge, you can also apply for one of the special keys that will get you into any disabled toilet! Now that could be really useful! Will have a look at the paperwork if I get a blue badge.

Hugs. Barton.x

Maldives

Hi ethel.
I felt the same. My insurances paid out too because i was terminal and of the possililty the cancer could spread within 12 months. Its a shock when you see what the onc has written but that was three years ago and im still going strong. i got a new car with my mobility. Have you got the disabled badge. If not apply. They are really handy for parking especially when we have so many hospital appointments.
Enjoy your new car and stop worrying xx
rosie53

Well saw my GP yesterday and he is happy to fill in a DS1500 form for me just need to collect it Tuesday and the macmillan welfare rights lady will do the rest! So hopefully everything will get sorted soon.
Janette xx
Barton

Good luck, Janette! Let us know how you get on.

Hugs. Barton.x

rosie53

Thanks Barton, well I'm actually at my doctors Friday for my zoladex so will speak to him then, also I've left a message for the same lady at welfare rights to give me a call tomorrow to see if she can direct me in the right direction.
Hugs Janette xxx
Barton

Thanks, Stresshead. Definitely well worth it.

Janette, that came round quickly, didn't it? Would it be easier to just go straight to your GP and ask for him/her to complete the DS1500? Not sure how a renewal would work, I'm afraid. Have you Googled the renewal procedure? Someone on a different website/forum might have had to go through the same thing and have some useful advice. Sorry I can't be of more use!

Hugs and good luck (I can't see why you would be refused). Barton.x

rosie53

Yikes, I've just received my renewal letter for my PIP! I've been dreading this coming. There is no form with it just a number to ring? Haven't rang it as yet! Has anyone done a renewal claim yet?
Last time I did nothing, a lovely lady from Welfare Rights filled everything in for me and my GP did my DS1500 form!
Janette xxx
stresshead

Brilliant news Barton...i couldnt live without mine. At least it eases one worry for you and gives you more time to concemtrate on yourself. x

Barton

Thanks, Waffles. And you are right - this site is invaluable! Not just for sympathetic support but also for advice and help.

Hugs. Barton.x

Waffles

Hi Barton,
So glad you got awarded enhanced PIP. It takes so much pressure off. Like you I would never have applied for it had it to been for the encouragement of the ladies on this site. What a team!
Best wishes xxx
funnyface
Community Champion

That's great Barton!

Barton

Thanks. Good luck Janette - I can't see why your doc wouldn't complete a new one for you - you certainly need it. Let us know how you get on.

Hugs. Barton.x

Happyboobs2

Good News Barton!x
rosie53

Yeyyy! Brilliant news Barton, it takes sooo much pressure off when we're going through enough living with this disease.
It allowed me to cut my hours at work to just 12 per week as like you I get very tired. My PIP is due for renewal in a few months and I'm dreading it! Just hoping my lovely doctor fills my DS 1500 in again.
Hugs Janette xxx
Barton

As promised, I am letting you know how I got on with my application. Good news! I have heard from the DWP today. I have been awarded both parts of PIP at the enhanced rate! This will be so useful - I can now afford to give up work at any time without worrying about things, and, frankly, it's going to come soon. I am finding it more and more tiring. I would like to make it to the summer hols (work for a mainly schools services company), but not sure I am going to.

Thank you all for encouraging me! I will say that if anyone else reading this is doubtful about applying, it really is worth trying. The worst that can happen is that they say no, in which case you are no worse off. But think how much better things will be if they say yes!

Hugs and best wishes. Barton.x

Barton

Thanks for the advice and information, Nicky. I will definitely keep that in mind. Nice to know it will be backdated to application date too!

Hugs. Barton.x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Barton, I'm glad this has been sorted out for you, the payment should also be backdated to your application date so you should get a bit more in the first payment. Also, if you ever did have to give up work completely you could claim for ESA, the DWP don't need to know that it's your boss causing more of the problems! Anyone with PIP should be able to claim if they have had to reduce their hours and/or stop work due to the ongoing treatment they are on. Usually this is chemotherapy (oral or IV) or radiotherapy but my GP signed for my renewal for ESA whilst I was on Herceptin and Perjeta as in his eyes this is similar in time consuming (ie blood tests, oncology visits, treatments days) and side effects as being on any other type of chemotherapy. It has meant I have not had to look for new part time job and feel at least I cover my costs when attending all these appointments etc.

Nicky x

Barton

Thanks, Stresshead, yes I will.

Hugs. Barton.x

Ps - and thank you everyone for your invaluable advice.

stresshead

Barton, so glad you finally did it..i'm sure you will get something...let uus know. x