Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIP.....YES YES YES!!

DebHummingbird

Re: PIP.....YES YES YES!!

Thank you so much xx
rosie53

Deb, only the mobility part of the award goes to the car you keep the living allowance think that's about £82 per week.
Hugs Janette xx
mint_tea

The mobility component (or part there of) gets paid to Motability if you elect to get a car.  You can spend up to your weekly allowance (or pay extra to get higher spec of car etc).  If you look on the Motability website I am pretty sure there's a price list so you can look at the costs by car make/model/type etc and decide what you want based on what you want to spend.  If you don't spend the full amount you get paid the excess along with your living allowance proportion.  Car insurance, tax, RAC, servicing etc all included within the costs quoted.  I found best thing to do is if you know the make and model of car you are interested in, make an appointment with their Motability adviser at the dealership and they can then give firm pricing and also look at what models are available and ready at the factory gate. They then sort all the paperwork out.  I found it really easy and I think I had car about 3 weeks from getting my letter.  Some manufacturers give better "value" than others. Vauxhall - who I think started the whole scheme - are one of the biggest suppliers (think the Mokka is the most popular model in the scheme at moment) and for example include parking sensors as standard for all motability customers.  Hope that helps.

DebHummingbird

I'm in a real pickle - is it worth all my POzp going on a car and not having any bits for home or bills??
Salzie

The mobility component pays for your car.
Salzie

You can get free car tax for your own car if you get enhanced mobility.😊
Carolyn52

Hello debs
I might b wrong but I think that getting both allowances means you have to pay for the car if you want one from the allowance and its not another extra.
I thought about getting a mobility car but as I have a nice ( ish) one of my own thats all paid for ..decided to keep my allowance as cash!!
It's great though you have the pip. It Does help with extras that this dreadful disease has caused us.
Xx
DebHummingbird

Yay I have got my PIP but I have a big question - it says Living allowance and mobility so I'm needing a car so does ALL the money from both go straight to the car firm??? Do I get some living separately? Hope someone with a clever head can help me.Akso I'm finding it impossible to sleep even when off steriods but my oh is going abroad until end of November so that's probably upset me xxx
scratch

Hi all yes agree with stress head we dont want to hear the word terminal..but currently no cure for it so it is...could have years on treatments and hopefully new ones in pipeline...Sharon ❤
stresshead

Hi Moijjan,

Jst to let you know i went through the macmillan centre at my hospital who passed it on to my Onc but he refused to sign the dsform as i wasnt 'terminal'...to me if you cant be cured and will likely die of the disease then whats the difference. Anyway, i then got a macmillan nrse come to visit me ( i think it was via my district nurse) and she said 'leave it with me. The next thing i know i have the higher rate pip and a blue badge...what an angel. Persevere and try any avenue available. Good luck.x

mint_tea

Moijan

Forget the "terminal" wording.  Pop and ask your GP for a form DS1500.  They are obliged to give you one upon request.  It's a very short form which simply confirms you have SBC.  Call the DWP helpline and "apply" over the phone via the "special measures" - just need your name, NI number and bank details from memory. It's a very quick call - maybe 5 mins max.    They will tell you to send in the DS1500 form by post to them.  Then they process and you'll get a letter confirming award.  You do not need to complete any forms.

i think the 6 month thing confuses everything.  The way I interpreted it was "would it be a surprise if I died in the next 6 months" ..... Umm "no because I have SBC".  That does not mean I will or an expected to die in that timescale (I am very well, feel I have a while yet to go!).  Indeed the award is given for 3 years! It's non means tested and has no affect on any other benefits or insurance etc.  I am 47, the way I look at it is I am unlikely to get my state pension which I have paid towards for the past 30 years, so this is replacing that.  

It seems so many have issues claiming, it's such a shame - so please go and get your PIP!

hope this helps.

Moijan

Just a quick question from everyone...i was told to apply for this a while ago. Hearing thet you have to be classified as terminal to be eligible is a bit worrying...my hospital doesnt class us as terminal, they call it 'chronic breast cancer'  when I apply for travel insurance they always ask if I have bern told im terminal and I say no, even so..its a big slog getting travel insurance. As it sounds like you have to be 'terminal' to claim PIP im a bit afraid of shooting myself in the foot!any comments please?

Moijan

EJ81

Bumping up.

Also seems as good a place to mention this as any. Just been told by RAC that we can get sane plan as before but with 40% discount because of my blue badge! Xxx

Chocolates

Chrisjonesey, there is a special number to ring if you have completed a ds1500.  Have you phoned that.  This should not be happening and you need to stop it before the assessor arrives.  If you can't find the number then post back and I'll look it up for you.  When you phone up they do ask you some questions about yur mobility so look back through the thread and be prepared.  Remember to take it on yur worst day - so can you walk 10 meters on your worst day - I'm sure the answer is no.  

Do not ignore this - you need to find that number and ring it up - there is an option for special circumstances and you are that.  You are put through to another department and will therefore avoid the assessor.

please do this - you cannot let them treat you this way.

Marirose

Chrisjonesey you have been treated terrible you need to take it further.

I applied back in June finnally got it standard £55.10 until 2017 if circumstances change I can reapply I already the mobility because I have MS.

Good Luck 

rosie53

OMG Chrisjonesey I cannot believe that it is disgusting!!! Get your MP involved.

The government are too busy taking care of the low life's of this country and it's us genuinely ill people that are going to suffer....god it makes me so mad 😠don't give up if you get turned down appeal.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hugs Janette xxxxxxx 

chrisjonesey

I had to complete the full PIP claim form and have been told to attend an assessment next week, my benefits advisor has warned me I will probably be turned down. Reason - I have been living on death row with Metastic Breast Cancer in my Sternum for 9 years, I am HER2 positive so have been on 3 weekly infusions of Herceptin and therefore have stayed reasonably stable, so, in Ian Duncan Smith's view, I have lived too long. I am 65 now, so if they take away my benefits and then a few months down the line my health deteriorates I will be unable to re-apply, only for Attendance Allowance, which does not provide for the Mobility component. PS I should mention that my gp completed the ds1500 form also, but made no difference. 

EJ81

Bumping for Samantha xx
EJ81

Have you seen this?http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/06/terminally-ill-benefit-claimants-asked-when-they-exp...
If you've sent off your ds1500 it sounds like they shouldn't be pushing you for more information xxx
tracey48

Thanks for this, I'm hoping to get an appointment with McMillan advisor, so fingers crossed she can point me in the right direction or at least make things a bit clearer.

EJ81

I may be wrong but I only had to fill in a small part of the form they sent me as I think there is a bit that says if you have ds1500 you only. Need to fill up to a certain point. Hope it all gets sorted soon xxx
springsummer

Hello Tracey

i claimed PIP but the hospital did all all for me. I didn't have to do anything..... not sure if that helps you 

SS

tracey48

Not finding claiming for PIP, as straightforward as I thought it would be. Sent in DS1500 filled in by GO but then sent the huge 'how your disability affects you' form, with no accompanying letter explaining why I needed to fill this in, so I rang them, apparently they are not satisfied that my disease is terminal, as my primary diagnosis was in 2005, my SBC was diagnosed in 2014. I am hoping to get assistance from McMillan CAB but appointments are scarce. Any advice would be much appreciated

Lynnq

Hi Janette and Chillik
Just checked my PiP award and it Was for three years... It was backdated for 12 months not 6.
I remember being thrilled when I recd it about a month before Christmas
Xx
rosie53

Oops, sorry missed the 3 off Chilik.

Lynn, I thought everyone's was awarded for 3 years???

Hugs Janette xxxxxxx 

Lynnq

Hi Chillik. My award lasts for approx 2 years from receiving it and on receiving it it was backdated about 6 months, and my onc told me that he has re- signed DS1500 forms for ladies after the initial award has run out.
rosie53

Hi Chilik,  your PIP award lasts years.

Hugs Janette xxxx 

chilik

When you received your award using the ds1500 route how long has pip been awarded to you
nicky08
Community Champion

Bumping up

2catlady

Great news other Helen xxx

I got a letter from ATOS today saying I'll have to an assesment even though I've been awarded payment to next August !!

Well as you can imagine the state I was in. But thank god my sister was with me and she rang DWP. They said mine had been marked urgent and I didn't have to go for an assesment ,it was just a standard letter that is automatically sent from ATOS.
I did think ,why didn't you check ! Why cause unnecessary stress.
Unless a higher authority sitting on a cloud has cured me I very much doubt I'll be around next August !

Grrrrrrrr
LemonDrizzle

Great news Helen, enjoy the perk of this rotten illness!
LD x
rosie53

Yey that's great news Helen, it allowed me to drop my hours too, I also applied for ESA as I am not now entitled to sick pay as I don't work enough hours  and was awarded that too.

Janette xx 

helen44

My PIP came through this week!!!! Phoned on the 12 May & GP completed & sent the DL1500. Really pleased as I am reducing my hours at school in September & this will help a lot.

Thanks for encouraging me to claim.

Helen x

tracey48

Thank you all so much for your replies, it's much appreciated, it's good to know there's so much support out there, especially as I feel a bit lost sometimes. Since my post I have called DWP and started a claim, which wasn't too bad at all, and asked BCN to fill DS1500 form, although she's not done one before. So far DWP have confirmed receipt of the claim and told me to ring if I've not heard anything by 16th June, so fingers crossed. I'll post again when I've heard anything. Again thanks for the support xx

mint_tea

Tracey

I simply called the DWP to start my claim (had bone Mets and plural effusion at time). They ask simple questions and then get the claimed started. The only thing you really neec to hand is your NI number. My GP had no hesitation in completing DS1500. It's a very simple prescription type form they have to complete, no great detail at all. Took no more than 3 minutes for her to complete. I sent that off to the DWP and had response about 10 days later with payment details and back payments. I did not complete any forms whatsoever. I found the whole process a doddle. I got my head around the DS1500 by taking the view "would it be a surprise if I died in the next 6 months?". As I have SBC, probably not but that does not mean I am likely to die.

I would encourage you to make that call and get the process started. I subsequently exchanged my mobility element for a car (again a doddle and had a new car within abut 3 weeks) and the blue badge (which is the most helpful thing for me in terms of parking at hospital on the double yellows).

Marirose

Hi I am in the process of trying to see if I am entitled to P.I.P I already get DWP for mobility for M.S Macmillan Support are helping me I just hope it doesn't mess the mobility up they say it will not but when you hear all the trouble people are having when it is taken off them its scary. Love Rose x
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Tracey and welcome, as others have said.
A lot of us (all?) secondary ladies seem to claim PIP, or DLA as it was called, and it does help financially with all the extra parking costs and travel costs to hospital that are part of our lives. The form DS1500 that has been mentioned is a form that a medical professional has to fill out which will fast track your claim as it stipulates that you have 6 months to live. This is of course very frightening when you do get it filled in as you think do I have only 6 months to live. However when my GP wouldn't sign it originally some years ago as he said oh, you have much longer than that, I asked him could he guarantee I would be alive in 6 months. Of course he couldn't. None of us can and as has been seen recently on this forum we can't predict how this disease will affect us. You don't have to have the DS1500 form to accompany your claim but as has been said, the PIP form is very long and very precise about your care and support needs so you really need help to fill it in whichever route you go through. Decisions can take a while,a very long while in some cases! However your payments are back dated to the date of your claim. Along with this, if your claim is accepted (and it should be) you can get a blue badge for parking, your tax disc paid for and buy a disabled persons railcard which all help with travel costs and inconveniences.
The other benefit that can be claimed is ESA (Employment Support Allowance) which is where you have had to either stop work or reduce your hours because of your situation. Again a Macmillan advisor can help with this as you need to qualify for it through NHI contributions or low household income.
Hope all of our advice helps you but also, if you feel like it, please join in any of the threads on here regarding living with SBC or treatments, someone is always there to offer advice and support and even a laugh if that's what you need.
Nicky x

Lynnq

Hi Tracey...welcome to the forums ....

do you see a BCN. The one at the hosp I attend for treatment organised
my PIP and fast tracked my blue badge.

The ONC gave a DS 1500 form straight to her (i never even saw it) and she sent it to the hosp benefits adviser who sent me an appt. with her, short interview and the PIP came through.
I would advise - if it is possible - to go through the hosp if possible and not struggle with the forms yourself....
Lucy_BCC

Hi Tracey and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk any concerns/ queries through, they on hand with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

I am posting a link to the secondary support and information from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries

You can read the Macmillan PIP information via this link:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/disabi...

Take care
Lucy BCC

EJ81

Hi Tracey, welcome to the forum. Its a very friendly place.
Regarding PIP a lot of people here used MacMillan to help them. I asked my doctor if she'd be prepared to sign her part of it (they can sign a form that means you don't have to go for an assessment but it does say you only have a year left to live - bit alarming but view it as an absolute worst case scenario) and phoned DWP.
Its really worth doing and fairly straightforward xxx
2catlady

Tracey, ask for a macmillian financial advisor to help you as its a 40 page book. If you are near a Maggies centre they will help you too. If you can get your GP ,onc to give you a DS1500 it will go straight through. It does not mean you only have 6 months to live. Some doctors will sign others won't. Xx
tracey48

This is my first time on the forum, have had very little contact with anyone else with SBC. However, a friend of a friend recently mentioned the personal independence payment, does anyone have any information or advice on making a claim. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Macie40

Hi Helen mine runs out in October 2016 so I suppose I should be looking for my renewal to come in the next couple of months, how ridiculous to have to do it that early will you be getting your oncologist to give you the ds1500 form,I hope you are coping with your treatment Love Macie x x x

2catlady

Hi,ladies,
I was awarded PIP after a year of fighting. It runs out next August 2016.
They have sent me their 40 page booklet to fill in again! I've still got over a year to go!
I've asked the macmillians Man to fill it in for me again. He took it away yesterday.

Has anybody else been asked to apply before it runs out.
Hugs,Helen xxxx
Porkie

Ladies

I echo what everybody else says - get it now - things can change very quickly with this disease. I know from personal experience that I was very well at the end of last year and now things are not very good so get it now  nobody knows what the future holds but ours is certainly more uncertain than most! Jackiex

Jam

Ladies get help with PIP now you deserve it. Ring Macmillan for your area and someone will help. xJanetx
rosie53

Marie, can't believe no one informed you of free rxs that was the first thing my bcn did for me!!

Make a claim for PIP......Your entitled to it!!

Hugs  Janette xxxxxxx 

EJ81

I've wondered before whether PIP would affect travel insurance. I got my onc to write a letter to say I was fit to travel and wasn't seeking treatment. I also chatted to GP when I asked her to fill out PIP and our interpretation was that, should treatment be ineffective or there be other compromising factors, it would not be a surprise if I only lasted six months. So it was possible even if it wasn't likely. I don't honestly know whether the insurance companies would see it that way. I suppose if you don't claim PIP and take out insurance at the same time it might be better?
Also once you get prescription exemption form you shouuld be able to claim back anything you've had to pay for since you applied so keep any receipts xxx
LemonDrizzle

Marie, that's awful not being told about free prescriptions. It was one of the first things my gp told me, shame they're not all the same. You're entitled to PIP whether you work or not, so think about it. Not sure about travel insurance but I'm sure others will. Missed live chat last night as I was out but hopefully speak to you again next week x
Marie123

PIP

Really not sure if I am entitled to this. Does it effect travel insurance , if it says you can die in 6months ?

Don't want to make a fool of myself, I am fairly fit, but like all of us have aches and pains and tiredness. .

VERY IMPORTANT

Helpful live chat last night no one had told me about free prescriptions grrrrrr.  I have asthma as well so often popping in repeat prescriptions.

Thank you to the ladies last night pointing me in the right direction. Form filled in at doctors tonight.

Take care

Marie