1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIP.....YES YES YES!!

LemonDrizzle

Re: PIP.....YES YES YES!!

I had a very good look on websites after googling pip claims. There's a lot of information about it and whether or not you'd be eligible. There's basically 2 different rates - standard and enhanced according to your needs. There is a special rules way of applying if an illness is terminal and death is possible within 6 months (that's the part I was struggling with). I found the online information really useful as there are sections explaining all the process and what is being assessed. It takes time to trawl through it all but I've found it very useful.
LD x
stresshead

Hi LD and all other PIP ladies....i also know very little about this and dont know whether i would qualify..can anyone tell me who i ring and what questions they ask? what is 'special circumstances'..i have skin mets(which macmillan dont class as secondary but i've been told its incurable). The only mobility problems i have are related to breathlessness...dont know whether this is the disease or just side effects of treatment??, painful feet and basically no energy to do anything..even change a bed. Also suffer with jont an muscle pain especially when o hormone treatment which i'll be starting again after chemo. Any info wold be welcome..thanks.

LemonDrizzle

We'll I've been brave and rung up to make a claim. After being so nervous it was straight forward as you all said. Spoke to a lovely man who asked simple questions so if anyone else is thinking of claiming this go ahead there's nothing to it. I've also phoned the GP surgery to ask for a ds1500 so fingers crossed that it will get completed. LD x
carolsav

No u dont change anything. Maybe when you need to reclaim they will automatically changee it to pip.
Helen_12

Ah thanks sorry to sound bit daft !!.i do claim dla just confused ,is the dla being scrapped then do I have to change anything ? Thanks Helen xx

LemonDrizzle

Hi Helen.
It's Personal Independence Payment which is a government benefit to help with everyday living costs if you're living with a disability or long term illness. PIP is replacing the Disability Living Allowance and it isn't means tested and you apply for it whether you work or not. There's lots of information if you Google it. LD x
carolsav

Hi helen12 its personal independance payment and used to be called disability living allowance. There are 2 parts to it..one relating to what level of care you need and the other is all about restricted mobility. I applied in may and was awarded it about late sept. Well worth applying for helen x
rosie53

Hi Helen, pip is Personal Independence Payment. It has replaced DLA, you are entitled to apply for it and you should do!! Speak to your bcn or welfare rights they should be able to explain it all to you.
Hugs Janette x
Helen_12

Hi I'm new on hear ,can somebody explain what pip is ?

LemonDrizzle

Thanks for all the replies. Just have to pluck up the courage to ring now and ask someone to sign the DS1500. LD x
inkyblue

when I made my claim they asked me if I was claiming under special rules? I said yes and was put through to someone else. Asked me a few questions, I didn't have to fill in any form at all all seemed really simple!! it took less than 2 weeks to get the award and I am not sure which of my doctors completed the DS1500.

bertie1

Hi lemon drizzle my BCN filled mine in for me so it doesn't hve to be your onc,I got mine after 3 weeks xx
carolsav

LD dont worry bout 6 month thing. When u phone up for claim pack they only ask v basic questions...nothing too personal...then send u out the forms x
belinda

Lemon D and all, don't worry about the six month thing. I have been under the less than six months ruling since early 2004. Was diagnosed BC and mets together in 2003! No one knows how well you may respond to treatment in the future, it's not a predicted time line. X
Ethel_horner

Hi ld the key is the ds1500 if someone onc bcn or gp will sign it you will apply under special rules - no questions! Automatic x
LemonDrizzle

After being told by family and friends that I must apply for this (they always know what's best for me don't they?!!) I'm thinking about doing so. Is it normal to find it difficult coping with the 'less than 6 months' rule? I'm not going anywhere in that timescale! Can anyone enlighten me about the procedure? When I ring am I asked general questions or specific ones about my condition? What about the mobility part-is it difficult to be awarded that? Sorry for all the questions. LD x
rosie53

Jenny if your onc won't fill the DS1500 form your bcn or GP can do it. My onc or bcn wouldnt fill it in as "i was not at that stage yet" but my GP didnt have a problem with it.
Good luck with yours, hugs Janette x x
jenny29

I'm pleased for you Natalie. I've decided that I'm going to ask my oncologist about the form for PIP and take it from there.

rosie53

PS good luck with results Thursday, i get mine bone scan TMs results Thursday too i am also hoping my luck continues!!
Hugs Janette x x
rosie53

Inyblue thats great news, i got mine last Friday both parts and at enhanced rate, i also got £3,313 in back pay so that was a nice treat.
Like you i felt a bit of a fraud but hey we do not know when this horrible disease wants to turn nasty so i for one am going to enjoy it!!!
Hugs Janette x x
2catlady

Oh wow,inky blue that's great xxxxxxx
Bevlaar

Great news inkyblue. If only all applications would go through that quickly. Mine only took 3 weeks too and i had it backdated 2 months.
love bev xx
Desi-2

That's great news inky blue hope your scan results are good too xxx
inkyblue

I rang up and applied following secondary diagnosis, I rang 27/10/14 and came home from work today to a letter confirming payment of benefit including enhanced mobility!!! Is this a record do you think? it has been awarded for 3 years and I am not even sure which of my Dr's completed the DS1500 as when I rang my GP they didn't think she had done it yet!!!

Oh well don't suppose will be around to collect the pension I have paid into for the past 25 years but I fully intend to be around to renew this in 2017.

All seems rather odd to be honest as I feel fit and well but am aware this could change, I have results of numerous scans on Thursday so lets hope my good luck continues until then.

2catlady

Go girl!!!! Yippeeeeee! Go and spend some on something nice for yourself xxxxxxxxxxx
Lynnq

Janette good to hear about the PIP....I have the enhanced rate and was surprised to see that I could have free car tax as well. I wasn't going to bother but my husband went to the post office with me and they were very helpful. I don't NEED my husband to do these things for me, I am usually quite independent. I just thought that the PIP was enough. He pointed out that it was an entitlement and -like all of us I'm sure - I would give it back tomorrow if they could take away this dreadful disease!!!
bertie1

Janette congratulations on your pip award and good luck on car hunting.Do you know you can apply for your blue badge now it's given automatically when you get the enhanced rate.i know what you mean when you say rather not have this disease and I think wea all feel the same but hey if the extra money helps that's great,at the end of the day none of us asked for this disease so why not,I would love to be able to work and live a normal life withouth the side effects we get with the drugs,so this money helps financially .
Take care all
Kaye xx
Chocolates

Huge congratulations Janette, such wonderful news. I know what you mean about bitter sweet but this will hopefully ease the financial burden a bit. Hope you find a car that you like. xxx
Bevlaar

Fantastic news janette!! Yes it is bitter sweet but hey...spend spend spend! You deserve it. Enjoy car hunting. I didnt bother with a mobility car as it would have cost more a month than I'm paying now for my brand new fiesta. It works out better for some than others...i just use the PIP for other things instead like holidays.
Love bev xxx
rosie53

YEY I GOT PIP!!!!!
Got it at the enhanced rate also got mobility at the enhanced rate too 🙂
It is bitter sweet and would give anything not to have this nasty disease but i am stuck with it and having PIP just helps to ease the pressure.
Going to go and have a look at Kuga's tomorrow, have no idea how mobility works though???
love and hugs Janette x x
rosie53

Thanks Angelina, i'v spoke to the lady from welfare rights who filled out the original forms for me and she is going to sort it out with my GP.
Hugs Janette x x
bertie1

Hi Janette I originally applied in May but when Iwas diagnosed with liver mets my breast cancer nurse filled in the DS 1500 for me hope this helps.
Kaye xx
ginette65

yes, your GP can do the form.mine did it just yesterday

angelina

rosie53

Hi ladies, please can i pick your brains
Does your onc or bcn have to fill in the DS1500 form?? They wouldnt fill it in for me they said i wasnt "at that stage yet" but i am really struggling working im soo tired and my back aches soo much when i'm done.
My GP has said he is happy to write any letters i need so was wondering if he could fill the form out?? I have applied already in June and i'm still waiting to hear back.
Thank you love Janette x x
bertie1

Hi all thanks for your good wishes I too can apply for my blue badge which will also make parking easier especially when shopping ,sometimes feel a bit of a fraud applying for blue badge but my feet have been quite sore with the Cape so on that note I think I should .The reason for not backdating it is because I was on DLA lower rate so they stop that then award you PIp from the date they stop that not the date the DS1500 went in ,so in effect anybody who's on DLA and their circumstances and they claim pip they don't get it backdated but anybody who puts in a new claim for PIp get it backdated discrimination if you ask me but my benefits advisor is going to send in a letter of complaint.
Love
Kaye
Chocolates

Really pleased for you Kaye - I don't understand why it's not back dated but at least you have it. Desi - I'm thinking about applying for the parking space but it will really annoy my neighbours so not quite sure. They have four cars - we never get near our house!! Only problem is person a few houses down has a parking bay - I'm not sure they're entitled to it anymore and they might then say I can use it. This would be very difficult as the household still use it and no one dares park there. Politics, politics - it's all very messy isn't it.
Desi-2

Glad you got your pip Kaye. My blue badge is ready to collect Thursday. Then I can apply for parking bay outside my house, his will really peeve my neighbours as parking is awful in my street. Xx
Bevlaar

Great news kaye! Been a long time coming though!
Love bev xx
bertie1

Hi Janette I didn't have to go for an assessment as my onc filled in a ds1500 for me about 3 weeks ago,having said that I don't get it backdated and it doesn't come into effect till 29/10/14.
Kaye xx
rosie53

Hey, thats great news Kaye, i applied in June and am still waiting!! I rang them yesterday to chase and was told its taking longer than the 12 to 16wks that it said on my letter they sent in June.
Did you have to go for a medical assessment for it??
hugs Janette x x
bertie1

Finally got my pip today yippee after waiting since May,but it doesn't start till end of October because I was on the lower rate of dla and because I was on dla I don't get it backdated which seems abit unfair.but on the plus side at least I get it .
Kaye xx
Bevlaar

Hey great news Ethel! Had to chuckle though about lidl! Glad everyone's getting what theyre entitled to.
xxxx
rosie53

Haha Ethel that made me laugh!!: - ) you will have to get there earlier next wk, anyway great news on getting your badge, i'm still waiting for PIP applied in June!!
Love Janette xx
Ethel_horner

The blue badge arrived today! I was well miffed that the lidl disabled space was further away than the others lol ethel x
Ethel_horner

Thank you for your posts they really are a help. Today's job is to fill out the blue badge request!!! Are there any other benefits to this dx lurking ahead? Ethel x
bertie1

Hi Janette and Bev when I applied for it in May my onc wouldn't fill in the form for me ,but when these liver mets showed up she finally agreed to fill in a DS 1500 which was sent a couple of weeks ago so hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.If I haven't heard by the end of this month I will certainly give them a ring xx

Love
Kaye xx

rosie53

Hi Kaye, I applied in June and am still waiting too :- (
My McMillan nurse and Onc wouldnt fill it in so i'v had to go the long route arrgg!! I'v been told by a friend who works for the DWP that its taking up to 7 months!!
love an hugs Janette x x
Bevlaar

Kaye have you tried chasing it up? My macmillan benefits advisor said it should only take 2-3 weeks...
bev xxx
bertie1

Hi Bev that's great news .I applied for pip at the beginning of May and I still haven't heard from them,fingers crossed that I may hear soon.

Love
Kaye xx
Bevlaar

Hi ladies....glad to hear you're now getting your PIP through. Another snippet of good news that may apply to some of you....
Last friday i checked my bank balance and lo and behold there appeared a payment from HMRC for disability working tax credits for £506 ! I have nog applied for these and didn't know why i was receiving them.
The following day i had an award letter in the post from HMRC saying this was because i was in receipt of a disability benefit. ...PIP...and because i work 16 hours a week or more.
This payment had been backdated few weeks but I'm to receive £351 a month until further notice!
So an added bonus if you work ladies 😃
love bev xxxx