69.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary Breast Cancer as a chronic illness? Any positive stories?

3 REPLIES 3
teresaa71

Re: Secondary Breast Cancer as a chronic illness? Any positive stories?

Hi

I was diagnosed with SBC in June 2021 and was also told to view the condition as a chronic illness. I've recently had a CT scan and my bone mets are stable and the tumour in my mastectomy breast has started to regress. 

Since the scan results, it is feeling more like a chronic illness. 

Life is settling into a routine. I'm coping well with Palbociclib and Letrozole. My oncologist says that I can move to bi-monthly appointments. I'm experiencing longer periods of time without thinking about the cancer. This has taken 6 months to get to feeling this way. 

I'm self employed and still working but at a reduced level. I'm walking a fair distance each day and feeling good.

I hope this helps.

lovethelakes

Hi I was listening to a news item a few months ago on the radio and I heard it said that cancer was being thought of more in terms of a chronic disease nowadays. Hope this helps x

janeh29

i also like to hear any positives. Its the fear of the unknown. Diagnosed last May, chemo finished. I have been on some of the Breast Cancer Now workshops which i do recommend - Look Good Feel Better. Also the zoom groups to talk to others in the same situation. Good luck x

grose_c94

Secondary Breast Cancer as a chronic illness? Any positive stories?

Hello everyone,

I am newly diagnosed with secondary breast cancer, HER2 & ER positive with mets in my lungs. 

I've had three rounds of chemotherapy so far, with at least another three to go.

My oncologist told me recently to not google things (easier said than done) but also to look at this like a chronic illness in the same way that something like diabetes is. I just wondered whether anyone has been told something similar? Just trying to cling onto any good news that I can find. I read about a woman who lived with this for 30 years, I really hope that I (& you) can too.

It would be great to speak with someone who is down the line with their treatments and living their life and doing well, this diagnosis feels very isolating especially being so young. Someone who could shed some light when I'm having down days.

Sending love to whoever needs it ❤️