327551posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So scared

11 REPLIES 11

Re: So scared

Thanks so much. Can I just ask a question out there?

Is having chemo again a treatment option?...or do they give you tablets/radiotherapy when its secondary in your bones? I dont think I could face going through chemo again with all the side effects! 

Hi Paris, just want to join the others to wish you luck with scans and results. It is a very scary time but once a treatment plan is in place you will start to feel differently as some have already said. I’m now a good 5 years in from secondary dx age 46 and was devastated, hips, ribs and spine are diseased but still live pretty much to the full, I’ve got my daughters wedding in Oct, something I thought I might never see when diagnosed.

I hope you have a great time in Barcelona and a wonderful and proud day next week at your daughters graduation.

hugs Janette xx

Thank you Nicky. I'm expecting the worse news anyway. The consultant fleetingly mentioned osteoarthritis and Pagets disease but I know deep down its bone Mets with the new lump they have found near the original site. Hey ho...what will be will be and I'm sure I will get the right care and a good prognosis. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You ladies have no idea how much these comments help to us newbies! Xx

Community Champion

Hi paris

Good for you that you are now looking forward to your planned  break in Barcelona.  My view on scans and results has always been to live life to the full as what you don't know can't hurt you!  The scanxiety kicks in nearer the results time but I've found over the years I'm less worried about the actual scans themselves, after all it's just a picture.  Hopefully the holiday will distance you from the thoughts we all have when we're at home going about our usual routines and you will come back ready to face what happens next.  As to your daughter's graduation go and enjoy it.  I nearly missed my eldest daughter's graduation as I felt so bad at the time but I'm so glad I made myself go.  I know it will mean so much to you and her and again try to forget the hospital appointment until it's upon you.

Nicky x

Thank you to all the ladies that have taken the time to reply to my post. It is very comforting to hear that there are others who have been and are going through the same thing and that the treatments out there will keep us going for as long as possible and the future is brighter than I first thought. I had a call from my breast nurse yesterday to give me a date for my MRI scan and although they mean well, the comments of "how are you coping, how are you feeling" just brings it all back. I also got told that the results of all my tests will be given to me on 26th July. My heart sank as that is the day of my daughters graduation so I have had to cancel and wait for another date. It just brought the seriousness of it all back to me. At the moment I crave positivity from everyone around me. I cant even bear to hear a sad song on the radio as it just sets me off! I am obviously ultra sensitive at the moment!

Luckily I am going to Barcelona for a 2 night break at the weekend. Initially I had no interest, but now I know I need to get out there and enjoy myself. Its funny how having a diagnosis like we have had makes you look at life and people so differently. Thank you again for your valued support and I wish you all the luck and best wishes with your treatments going forward. xx

Hi 

i can only add add my own experience. In 2016 I had leg pain eventually went to the dr and through series of investigations was told I had secondary breast cancer in my pelvis. I had no visible lumps in my breast or breast cancer previously but it was there  . I was only 50 and cried buckets .  Cut a long story short I have had masectomy.radiotherapy and tablet treatments so far. I am now 2 and a half years on and still get anxious as I know things will change but on the whole feel well , slight pain and small side effects but working full time and being normal. Just come back from Greece and now washing and ironing! So all you new ladies take hope from those of us who have been around a while as we were once where you are now and still here. Chin up love to all Wendy x

Feeling scared is a horrible feeling I know only too well my anxiety has given me some terrible symptoms resulting in a trip to A and E try not to let it take a hold like I have

a treatment plan will definately make you feel better take confidence from some of they others on the forum who are doing really well my situation I have discovered is a little unusual in I am on a plan of watchful waiting since end of Jan this year when diagnosed it really has impacted my physcological health my onc has explained this of part of my plan and when he feels time is right I will start I have had some changes during this period of time

I hope everything goes well for everyone x

Community Champion

Hi paris

We all know what you feel like, especially on this secondaries part of the forum. None of us ever expect our breast cancer to return and if it does we are all aware that it’s not good news. However there are many of us, me included, living with secondary breast cancer, especially bone mets, for many years. And I don’t just mean surviving with SBC but carrying on with life and still doing the things we have always done. There are many treatments available and a lot of those have become available since my SBC diagnosis in 2008. Statistics on the internet don’t seem to have been updated since 2008 so one bit of advice right now is don’t use Mr Google. Sites such as these give information and support without quoting outdated information about survival rates. As Anne has said, I think all of us felt more able to cope once we had a treatment plan in place and we know what we are dealing with. It is difficult and probably the worst time when waiting for scan results. We have called it ‘scanxiety’ on this forum- for obvious reasons. I would say try it to worry or think about it but that is nearly impossible, I remember that much only too well from when I was waiting for weeks for an actual diagnosis and treatment plan. Keep in touch and when you have a treatment plan it will almost decidedly be something that many of us have had so someone will be able to answer any questions you might have. There is a thread on here called ‘Bone mets please join in’ which you can join in with by replying to the last post on there, it’s not an obvious way to post a comment as you think you’re only replying to the last persons message but that’s the way the forum works! Any questions etc will be picked up by someone on there although you can also post on any other thread if it’s specific to the treatment plan you know you’ll be having. 

Jule65, Good luck with your treatment plan as well, I don’t have any experience of brain mets and their treatment other than what I’ve read on here over the years so can’t offer any knowledge on them. Again, you can post on here for support and advice but there’s not always many ladies going through treatment of these mets at any one time so there may not be so many experiences that we can share or offer advice on.

Good luck to both of you, it’s a horrible time and we do all understand what it’s like, we have all been through it and will all remember that awful feeling.

Nicky x

Your anxiety is quite understandable and yes I’ve been through it. Somehow you will cope. In my experience it’s better when you have proper news and a treatment plan but I can’t speak for others. Thinking of you x

So sorry to hear your news too. Its just awful not knowing what we will be facing. Its like a living nightmare at the moment. Its good to hear I'm not alone with these thoughts.

Yes will do and good luck to you too. xx

Absolutely know how u feel iv just been diagnosed with brains Mets had breast cancer last may done chemo surgery and radiotherapy the hardest part is telling the family and the uncertainty I have also had to wait for scans and still waiting to see my own oncologist so apart whole brain radiotherapy I'm not sure what else I'll b having. I am trying to keep working although only part time at the mo I cant drive which is really hard just seam to spend most of my crying and thinking the worse .

Hope we both get some answers soon i wish u all the luck keep us updated xx

So scared

Hello everyone. I didn't think I would be posting on here again, but unfortunately I have been told there is a possibility my breast cancer has returned and gone into my shoulder, spine and pelvis. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and radio and full lymphnode removal in 2009.

The consultant says I need to have an MRI scan and some more tests, but that wont be for another 2 weeks. I've had a biopsy on a lump they have found in my breast and the results from that will be in about 10 days. The waiting is absolutely agonizing and I am so anxious. I cant eat anything and feel constantly sick. I just feel abandoned by the hospital and just expected to get on with life in the meantime. I'm trying to work and keep my mind occupied but I'm really struggling. I've discussed the possible outcome so far with my 2 children aged 25 and 29. The 25 year old has mental health issues and has said he doesn't know what he will do if its bad news. I'm scared for his future as well as my own and my family being without me. I know this sounds dramatic but I have so many bad thoughts going through my mind, which is also not helping me. Has anyone else gone through this too?