66.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spread to liver.... thoughts on alcohol?

11 REPLIES 11
rosie53

Re: Spread to liver.... thoughts on alcohol?

Hi Buzzing/Susan, thanks for your reassurance regarding Cape.

Its always good to read encouraging news, and I’m really pleased it’s going well for you. I’m feeling a little better now, I rang my SBCN this morning and had a good chat with her and also mentioned the fact that I’m fed up of telephone consultations as you don’t always take in everything over the phone, anyway a few hour’s later I got a call from the hospital with a face to face appointment next Wednesday!! 
J x

BobbieLew

Yes I live in Manchester. Have been under the Churchill unit at Bolton but just transferred to the main unit due to new treatment plan. All treatment seems good so far, just need it to work now! x

Buzzing

Just hope I can help your anxiety regarding starting Cap.  I’m on my fourth cycle and doing very well have seen positive results to a red raised lump on my left chest wall and another lump on my skull which was causing my eye to close which is now completely open.  I was dreading starting the new medication cap as the side effects can be very cruel but I am lucky to say other than a bit of a rash I’ve had none and coping a lot better than when I was on E/E combination which I took for two years. 
As for alcohol 🍷 I keep having raised liver count but have been told it has nothing to do with alcohol intake and to enjoy the odd glass of wine.

Susan x

rosie53

Oh really, it’s a fantastic hospital isn’t it, feel very lucky to be having them look after me! 
Are you in the Manchester area or do you travel in? 
J x

BobbieLew

Thanks J, I’m at the Christie too. 
Hope you enjoy your wine tonight 😊 x

rosie53

Hi, I too have had progression from bones now to liver and am waiting to start Capecitabine next week. I asked my SBCN if a glass of wine at the weekend would harm, she said absolutely not and that if anything it would help me relax, she said there isn’t an oncologist in our hospital (the Christie) that would tell you not to have a drink (obviously within reason!!) sh said the liver is a huge organ that is constantly repairing itself and a few glasses of wine won’t make a jot of difference to the mets.

I have woke to feeling totally fed up and anxious about starting Capecitabine next week so I think I’ll be having a few glasses this evening 🍷 cheers ladies 

J x

BobbieLew

It’s such a fine balance isn’t it! Last thing we want is to make things worse but at the same time constantly worrying about whether you’re eating/drinking the right thing isn’t good either! 
Coolgirl I like the sound of your nurse 😊 xx

Coolgirl

Hi Ladies, I too have had recent spread to my liver and was feeling guilty about having a glass of my favourite tipple red wine. I have asked my onc and my Macmillan nurse and they hav both told me it's ok to have alcohol so I am going with that. My nurse told me to stop feeling guilty as I have enough to deal with and that I still have to have a life and do what I enjoy.

so cheers!!xx

VicJ

Hi ladies 

I have liver mets and also worry about alcohol making it worse. My oncologist said to stick to the normal rules for alcohol intake but that a small glass of wine in the evening wouldn’t hurt. I have one once or twice a week, like you I worry I am making it worse with any more, but otherwise have found there are lots of alcohol free alternatives when you look! Sainsburys do a great alcohol free G&T! 

I figure we need to be sensible but deserve a treat now and again given what we are dealing with! 

Vic x

BobbieLew

Thank you Jools. That’s what I’ve been thinking but now it’s my liver as well I guess I’m more wary. I do need a couple of drinks at times just to relax and switch off but I just worry about making the situation worse than it is! 

Jools-50

Hi there, I've been diagnosed with mets to bones and possibly lungs. I too have reduced my alcohol intake, but I have to tell you that now and again I do pour myself a large G&T , even just to zone out, watch a good drama on TV and try to forget about the cancer for an hour, and that in itself is good for my mental health, don't beat yourself up, we need to live a little too. 

BobbieLew

Spread to liver.... thoughts on alcohol?

Hi, 

just found this forum when trying to google things over the last few months and hoping this may give more accurate help/advice!

Ive recently found out the cancer has spread to my bones and now to my spine. Started chemo but quickly discovered it wasn’t working so switched to Palbocyclib & Letrozole.

Ive massively cut back on alcohol and improved my diet, however I’ve still been having a couple of drinks once/twice a week.

Just wondering the thoughts on alcohol now it’s spread to my liver? Wasn’t a question I thought to ask my oncologist and can’t seem to find any info anywhere.

amy help/advice massively appreciated, feel like I need a Glass of wine after my latest bad news but worrying that it will make things worse!!