Ooo that's interesting! Did you have to go through the whole secondary BC rigmarole or did they just accept the fact you are fit to travel etc etc? It would be good to know another company will insure us for a reasonable premium. Thanks for the updates ladies.
I got an annual policy recently from Boots, Worldwide including America, and with a cruise supplement, for £143 which I thought was a fair price.
A friend of mine with secondaries (bone) has got a good deal from nowicantravel.co.uk so they might be worth looking at.
I was going to back Janette up and say Eurotunnel as they have always said yes to me and I have bone and liver mets. Their T's and C's haven't changed regarding pre existing conditions so I wonder why you weren't able to get cover?
I think the moneysavingexoert website might not show the companies that offer reasonable cover fir secondary BC? Many of the travel insurance companies will insure pre existing conditions, including primary BC, but then either won't cover SBC or charge incredibly high premiums.
BTW truffle shuff we are still in the EU so it won't make a difference plus Switzerland has never been in the EU but us listed as countries covered by European travel insurance.
Hope everyone gets insured at reasonable costs and please update any extra companies that will or won't cover SBC, this us such a useful thread.
Maz 61 if you go on Moneysaving Expert there is a section on travel insurance and a sub-section for people with pre-exisiting conditions and you put your details in and a number of very reasonable quotes come up. I've renewed my travel ins using one of these.
Can anyone advise me , I am trying to get travel insurance for june to switszerland. I have mets to liver brain and bone , . Doc says I am fit to travel , but tried 7 firms this mornin from the list provided on web sire for secondary breast and no one will insure me. One quote was for over one thousand , others wont give me quotes .
I am very upset , do you rhink its because we are not in EU now .
can anyone help , I do want to go away , may be my las year of hrealth xx
Hi, Sorry for late response, I thought I'd get a notification that answers had come through. Realised I had not clicked for that to happen! Many thanks for that info. I will contact All Clear for a quote before making a decision. Hope you enjoy your second snowboarding trip. All the best. Maz61.
I have used Eurotunnel on a number of occasions including when they used to have an annual worldwide policy. If you read their policy documents online before buying a policy you will see the criteria for travel with pre existing conditions. Unlike most (all?) other travel insurance companies they don't penalise you with a high premium for having SBC, your pre existing condition could be just high BP or something else.
I have never had to make a claim through them, or any other company I have used, so can't vouch for that side of things. I think their single trip European policy is only about £7.45, check if you should insure your travelling companion/s as well ( I think one companion may be included on your policy) as they should be insured on the same policy in case everyone travelling with you had to come back early etc.
Hi Maz61, I have recently been diagnosed with Secondary Breast cancer in the Bone and needed insurance cover for snowboarding in January and Italy in April. I managed to get cover with a company called All Clear, they have a live chat where you can ask questions about you condition but most of the time they tell you not to press yes to your condition being terminal. I paid around #99 including winter sports cover....Worth a shot, you might have to speak to them in person about your condition but when I've spoken to them about mine they've advised they'll cover.....Good Luck
I have just joined the forum and have a diagnosis of secondary breast cancer in the bone (sternum/3rd rib) Sorry this is not a direct response to your post but I am trying to find travel insurance for a trip to Croatia later this year. So far 3 companies have refused to cover me. I then noticed a lot of comments about Eurotunnel Insurance. I have spoken with them and they say I would come under their Fit to Travel Policy. Does anyone have experience of this company in reference to insurance and claims. After a day of refusals I could have cried when they said yes, but it seems to good to be true! ........Maz61
Hi, I have just got an annual travel policy through Tesco Bank for just £91.27. I have Secondary breast cancer in the bone and due to the chemo meds I'm on I also have diabetes type 2.
This is for worldwide excluding USA and Canada.
They have stated that I am not covered for these medical conditions.
Not sure if this is of use to any one, just thought I'd put it on in case.
I'm not on Kadcyla but I recently got an annual worldwide policy from Boots, covering my lung mets diagnosed at the end of October 2016. The cost was £140 which included the cruise supplement.
Maybe worth a try?
Have a read back over the last few posts, they will be more up to date than the old ones.
When it comes to secondaries a lot of insurance companies either refuse to quote/offer cover or charge huge premiums.
The ones I've used for Europe are Eurotunnel - last time I used them they were very reasonable, will cover annually and single trip and don't ask any medical questions (which takes forever!). You just have to meet their travel criteria which you can read in their Ts and Cs online. I have used AXA PPP, as I've said on here, for worldwide travel and again they are reasonable and don't ask all those probing medical questions- just be fit to travel etc. Other than that MIA come up quite regularly for European travel but don't cover further afield.
Hope this helps.
I am really pleased that you have been able to get insured for your trip to Greece and hope you have a lovely time. Does the policy include medical expenses or cancellation that may be related to cancer or is this excluded? As after I went through all the relevant questions with the person at Insurancewith regarding my condition,I was told they could not insure me. I am assuming that they are questions all people are asked with secondary breast cancer, so I can't understand why I am not able to get insurance. Ann
Hi, I have secondary breast cancer in liver, lungs and sternum - got a reasonable quote for travel insurance for Palma from http://www.nowicantravel.co.uk (less than £50). Hope this helps. 🙂
Just tried to get travel insurance,for a coach trip to Spain, went back to Insurancewith as they covered me earlier this year for trips in UK. Nothing has changed in relation to my disease and treatments but they would not insure me this time probably because I'm going to Spain. 😨 I have got travel insurance with my bank but they also will not cover the cancer. Ann
I agree also with Nicky and Janette. However just wanted to say thanks for reminder about AXAPPP from Nicky. I am filling up the school hols with some longer haul trips so will call tomorrow and see if I can get a worldwide annual policy.
I agree Janette, I have always been told exactly the same as you have been by Eurotunnel so I'm not sure why the advisor told Anniemay something different. However we should go with what we are told and I'm glad she got insurance at a reasonable price. With regards to what I have previously written about worldwide insurance you can definitely be insured by AXAPPP for an annual worldwide policy which has the same criteria as the Eurotunnel one had/has. ie fit to travel, not been told it's terminal, not going abroad for treatment and condition is stable. I was misquoted for the premium due to a mix up about belonging to the forces (who get a discount) but I now have a policy for £350, worldwide and annual. Which is great as, after my good scan results, I can now join the other members of my family when they travel to New York for my brothers wedding next month 😊
Hi annemay, sorry to hear about your insurance problems, don't really understand it? I am insured with Eurotunnel, I'm going to Cyprus in sept and gran canaria at Christmas. I spoke to an adviser at Eurotunnel and told them all details about my condition (mets in hips ribs and spine) all they wanted to know is that my condition is not terminal. I said it is a life limiting illness with no cure but as yet my oncologist has not said I am terminal as yet and they were happy to go ahead with the policy so long as my oncologist says I am fit to travel.
It's a bit of a nightmare for us travel insurance isn't it, a good friend of mine who has secondaries in her liver (she has had them for years!) doesn't even bother with insurance anymore! She had travelled to Australia, American and Europe without any......not sure I could do that! But she refuses to let the illness stop her from seeing the world!
Hugs Janette xxxx
Further to my previous post I contacted Eurotunnel insurance the next day with a view to taking up the annual insurance with them, however when I told the advisor I had secondary bc she informed me that I would not be covered for claims relating either directly or indirectly to the cancer. I did not actually clarify the fact with her but I am assuming that if I had to cancel a holiday due to becoming unwell due to my cancer , I would not be able to claim for cancellation. I decided that this policy was not for me as although I am stable and feeling well enough to travel now, who knows how this beast of a disease will come back and bite me when I least expect it and I needed an insurance policy to cover me for this eventuality.
Looking through the forum again, Insurancewith.com had been recommended by members so I completed the online indepth medical questions to obtain a quote, only to be advised at the end to contact them to speak to a customer advisor. Which I did the next day and spoke to a very helpful advisor. After looking through my online questions she informed me that they would not be able to insure me on an annual policy but could offer me a single trip policy and my breast cancer would be covered. We are only travelling in the UK at the moment so obviously any medical problems I might have will be treated by the NHS, which lowered my medical insurance risk.
I was quoted £8.67 for a 8 day holiday on their Emerald policy without cancellation cover as we are going later this week and £7.77 on their Sapphire policy with £3000 cancellation cover for a 5 day trip next month both policies had £75 excess. I know that it is not as convienient as a annual policy but if it gives me peace of mind that I am covered with regards to the bc, I will just go along with it.
We are planning to go abroad later this year providing I stay well, so it will be interesting to know how much they will quote me for that holiday. I will keep you posted!!!! Ann xx
Thank you for your quick response, the adviser I spoke to was not forth coming with the definition of terminal even though I laboured the point with her for some time, so I was reluctant to take the policy. I looked at their policy conditions on line and it did not really clarify the definition of terminal there either, however looking at the forum it seems that members like you have gone with it and others have had no problems, so I think I will take the plunge. Ann xx
I agree with mint tea. I had an annual (worldwide) policy with them last year and had it confirmed by the sales advisor I spoke to that their definition of terminal means you have been told you will die in the next few months and there is no further treatment available to you. Unfortunately they now have dropped the worldwide policy so I have had to go elsewhere this year as I'm hoping to travel to USA for my brother's wedding. Otherwise I would have stuck with Eurotunnel for annual (European) insurance as I think they have a very good policy and are taking a good stance with the whole secondary BC (and other pre existing conditions) not being penalised with outrageous premiums.
I took out an annual policy with them just last week. I specifically asked them how they defined terminal and was told "you've been advised you have less than 6 months". I am comfortable with that, I know if needed for a claim my Onc would do a letter to confirm I am stable and he was happy for me to travel etc.
hope that helps!
I have just contacted Eurotunnel to possibly take out individual annual travel insurance with them and I got stumped when she asked me whether I had a terminal diagnosis. I did not know what to say for although I know that I can not be cured, so I am terminal in that respect, I am being treated and at the moment stable.
My GP would more than likely give me a letter saying that I am fit to travel and can not for see any problems relating to the cancer in the immediate future but who knows what's around the corner. My concern is whether I will be covered with their policy or will they try to wiggle out of any possible claim using the "terminal" diagnosis. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Ann xx
To add to what Nicky has said. It may be worth getting a letter from your oncologist saying, regardless of the test results, that s/he doesn't expect you to require any treatment while you are away. That might be enough to cover your back with someone like Eurotunnel.
I hope you find something xxx
Sorry you are in that awful place of waiting for test results, we all know how bad that can be and I hope that when you get them back everything is OK and mets aren't diagnosed.
Regarding travel insurance it may depend on where you are going. If it's Europe you should be able to use Eurotunnel insurance (even when not travelling with them) and they offer single trip or annual trip insurance (but no longer offer worldwide cover). However you should read their policy terms and conditions before taking it out as I think it might state that your disease/condition needs to be stable and it possibly says that you shouldn't be awaiting test results. I'm not sure as I'm no longer using them so have not checked their website recently.
Other than them you could try the AXAPPP insurance that I've mentioned on here before but I don't know what questions they will ask, I do know though that they don't go through the whole medical screening process that many companies do. They still may ask if your condition is stable and that could be the stumbling block.
Any other company seem to ask very detailed questions and I think the waiting for test results could again be a problem however you do need to let them know because if there was any claim arising from a fall or accident whilst on holiday I'm sure you wouldn't be covered if you've not declared everything.
Alternatively if you have travel insurance in place through a bank account or similar you could still travel but know that any claim arising from BC wouldn't be covered and be prepared to take the risk? I have done this in the past for short trips to Paris when my daughter was studying there knowing that the EHIC card would cover me for any unforeseen BC related health issues and my bank account's travel insurance would cover me for things like delays, lost luggage and any medical problems unrelated to BC.
Hope this helps but sorry I can't give you a definite answer.