cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abdominal diagnosis

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: abdominal diagnosis

hi...well done with the horse stuff!!..its a good exhaustion to hve!!...me , rollercoaster of days..3 days of grandchildren staying was knackering but every second wonderful!! lots of memories for all..then told by vet my dog has cancer..it was strange, burst into tears at the words..but it was partly because it sounded like what was said to me few weeks earlier...meds not having any bad effects as yet , but not had time to focus on me really..being positive only way forward..another day awaits, I say, go on give your best shot ,,im ready!!

Highlighted

Well done with the flumes Wally! What a fun nanny! I went horse riding after walking my dogs yesterday, collapsed with exhaustion and back pain for the rest of the day, but had fun first.

CT scan done. Just a 2 week wait now for the results. 

I've heard of people with fluid build up which needs draining, but not heard of the fluid having cancer. Hope it's not too uncomfortable.

Highlighted

after ct scan..biopsy of fluids from ab I was told cancer was in fluid in abdomen when I asked where cause didn't really understand.he said everywhere. I just assumed would b in an organ, didn't get the fluid thing..when u try an investigate everyone seems to hve probs with bones etc....meds r ok so far..went swimming with grandchildren today and wizzed down flumes!!..making a memory for me but more importantly for them...nanny is a nutter!!!...positive days are great , tiring !! sending good thoughts your way...roll on tomorrow, lets take whatever it throws at us and win!!!

Highlighted

You're not alone Wally! What has your scan shown? Do you know where the mets are? Letrozole and Palbociclib are pretty kind, they kept my bone mets stable for 10 months until my verebra one started growing. And there are lots of reports on here from other ladies who have had success for much much longer.

I think my oncologist should have been more pro-active between October and February, if he knew the mets were growing in my vertebra he should have been looking for signs elsewhere and picked up my abdomen much earlier. xxx

Highlighted

hi, im not alone!!...soz but I don't understand the DX etc stuff..all I know at moment is im on letrozole, started plaplo stuff on Thursday and will hve a ct scan after ive done 3 month of it. had all those symptoms too but not as much weight loss...no side effects as yet which weirdly makes me feel like im not actively fighting it...when u hve real chemo , the side effects so obvious I felt that I was fighting something...this feels like the invisible enemy...plse keep in touch , keep well

Highlighted

Hi Wally, sorry you've not had many responses, but abdominal mets is rare as you've been told. I was diagnosed in February this year, although I'd had seriously notable symptoms for 4-5 weeks before confirmed diagnosis.(constipation, nausea, vomiting, intense cramping labour-type belly pain), unable to eat, 3 stone weight loss.

I has primary breast cancer in September 2014 (mastectomy, chemo, rads, also tried tamoxifen and Anastrozole but didn't get on with them). They found bone mets December 2017 and January 2018 in my spine T12, pubic bone and sacrum. I was put on letrozole and palbociclib for the bone mets. There was a bit of activity in T12 in october 2018 and it was blasted with cyberknife. 

I had these awful pains and symptoms in January but all the docs said it was fine, no sign of obstruction - even though I couldn't keep food down for a month! It didn't make sense to me, something was obviously not right. I saw 3 GPs, my oncologist, spent a night in A&E and saw a doc on holiday in  February. I had a routine MRI booked for my return from holiday and was immediately taken to A&E because there was indeed an obstruction - 7 tumours blocking my small bowel.

I had ileostomy surgery and was in hospital for 2 weeks being tube fed for a week. They didn't know if I'd survive the surgery. 

So that was 6 months ago. I've been on chemo since March with scans after 3 cycles. Unfortunately they have not been successfull in controlling it so have changed chemo as each scan has show growth and/or progression to my liver.

I've got a scan this afternoon as I can now feel lumps in my abdomen and find I can't eat much, so I'm worried it's now encroaching on my stomach.

Sorry for confusing post, I was typing late last night and struggled with editing it!!! X

Highlighted

thanks, I know shouldn't google but you always do!!..and hard to narrow down me..as my oncologist said " its not common" just my luck!!...i don't want to ask THAT question and is good knowing you have been ok so long. i suppose when i first got breast cancer i was out to beat it and thought i had, but 9 years later its back but seems "sneeky" this time...i felt in control of the battle before, finding out im not curable feels like a curveball and not fair. i know im gonna be up and down till i get my head around it,if i ever do, but feel that whenever from now on if i feel ill with anything ill think is this it? ..sorry rambling!!

Highlighted
Community Champion

I agree, don't google time scales, the information is so out of date.  In fact when I had my secondary diagnosis in 2008 the stats were about 2 years, it just goes to show how out of date they were then as we are now in 2019 and I'm still here!.  At the time on the forum there were quite a few ladies who had also lived for many years (far more than 2) with secondary BC and that was before all the newer treatments had even become available.

Basically we are all different and we all respond in different ways to our treatments so it is very difficult to compare timescales and even our own oncologists are only taking a guess if they are asked for a prognosis.  I personally have never asked, and never been given a prognosis or timescale and I'm happy to have kept it that way.  Every one is entitled if they do want to know of course.

I hope this helps

Nicky x

Highlighted

I can really empathise with you. I have it in my bones. I’ve been on this journey over a year and feel well. I googled endlessly at the start but it wasn’t helpful. People advised me to stay in the now. It was good advice x

Highlighted

abdominal diagnosis

was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in my abdomen about a month ago. have started letrozole. I am finding this all such a shock, seems unusual place to get it and so vague that I cant really take in that im not curable. do I ask the oncologist the dreaded question how long? and do I want to know. like everyone these days I search "DR GOOGLE" and all I read is 22% make 3 years. I suppose in my mind if my life was so shortened I would feel really ill, when at the moment just have niggling pains in stomach area and upset stomach, but I am living my normal life so it feels surreal. thoughts are worse at night when my mind races, suppose just need someone to tell me this isn't the immediate end and that I may have more than 3 years left.