cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newly diagnosed

7 REPLIES 7

Re: newly diagnosed

Hi Turtle,

I too was 16 years clear before secondary found in bones and a few spots in liver. I’m nearly 5 years now with secondary’s so take heart, there are lots of new drugs out there now that weren’t available even 5 years ago such as the drug combo you are on. 

I remember when I had my primary diagnosis my little girl was only 1yrs old. I didn’t think I would see her start school. Last month I watched her graduate from University!  So we still have a lot of living to do... xxx

Long may you continue to inspire us Nicky xxx

Highlighted

hi nicky thank you so much for your positive post. the hardest thing i think about when thinking about the future is about the 17 years i have had between my diagnosis and the fact a lot of people i travelled by bc journey with didnt make it and here i am wanting more. in that time i have seen 6 grandchildren born and two are not at secondary school. but i manage to put the guilt behind me and live in the moment. we are planning a family holiday in november and my first comparitive scan saw mets shrinking and the rest remaining stable so i am very optomistic at the moment. i do get tired but am still working as a nursery nurse with reduced hours and tasks and, at the moment looking forward to a future whatever that may bring x

Community Champion

Hi to all, especially the newbies who find themselves here.

I have been living well with secondaries for over 11 years now.  Initially in bones then in the liver.  The only time I tend to feel less well is when I'm on chemo, which is understandable! I have been able to continue living in the moment and enjoying life as much as the treatments allow me to.  Most of these 11 years I have been fine as I have alternated between hormonal treatments and chemo plus a bit of surgery thrown in for good measure!  Initially I continued working part time, even on chemo, but now don't work through choice and the difficulty with continuing with my then job.  I do get more fatigued now but that's to do with current chemo and also no doubt age plays a part in that. In my 11 years I have seen my 2 daughters go through secondary school, university, new careers, one wedding and also a grandson, things I never thought I'd be here for.

My motto has been Carpe Diem - seize the day

I hope you continue to feel well.

Nicky x

i said the same thing to my consultant this week, i am now on cylcle 3 my hair is coming out a bit but it is long and very thick so could possibly cut it to stop it pulling so much, but on the whole i have not felt so good in ages. my blue badge came this week which did upset me a bit but also will make life better in the long run x

I was diagnosed a year ago - straight to stage four with mets in the bones. I’m on Pacibiblib and Letrosole and so far so good. I agree about feeling well. It’s so odd to be so ill and feel well! I exercise a lot and try to eat well. I’ve also given up alcohol. I said to my oncologist on Monday that it is strange to feel so well. She said that’s the aim of newer treatments. I agree with you and try to enjoy it. Not a bad maxim in life!

hi I am in similar situation secondaries in lungs and pelvis and base of spine13 years after initial breast cancer. Initially was told it wasnt secondaries but 5 months later was found to be after mammogram. Been on letrozole and palbociclib for over a year which scans show things stable. You are right the forum shows people living so much longer with secondaries. Keep well and strong Liz

newly diagnosed

hi to you all

i had and beat breast cancer 17 years ago after chemo and masectomy, so you can imagine my shock and disbelief at being told i had metastatic cancer in my lung and bones all this time later. i had a rough two weeks when they misdiagnosed me with pneumonia but since i have started my treatment things have settled down apart from severe tiredness. i am on ribicuclub and letrovose everyday and find it hard to believe that i can feel relatively well while being so ill. i think the best thing this forum has given me is hope. when i see people who are 5 years in and longer i am beginning to believe i am not going anywhere just yet am and definitely going to make the best of the time i have left.