Hi bookish, and thank so much for your reply.
I received written confirmation yesterday, for simple mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy Tuesday 25th, pre ops Thursday 20th, covid test tea sometime during the 72 hours before surgery, follow up Monday 7th June, and a form to complete for genetics. Phew, a whirlwind, but so very pleased that dates have been confirmed and all is going ahead.
My intention is to consider the possibility of a later, therefore bilateral, mastectomy, if genetics indicate a high likelihood of more new primaries in remaining portion of remaining breast. Hopefully will return a negative, as in your case. You must have felt some relief. And yes, some well needed flippancy is totally in order, and most welcome, 🙏.
First off, of COURSE it's normal to feel apprehensive! It's all fine talking about suggested treatment routes, but anything that suddenly makes it feel more real is going to give you pause. And you'll have some anxiety about getting everything prepped in that timeframe, understandably. But really, it's good that things are moving quickly and it might be a relief to have things a bit more 'over'.
In my experience, none of the pre-op, covid test, or genetics stuff is anything you need to overly worry about. Worst of the three is probably the swab up the nose 😉 The genetics thing for me was a blood test, and then a phone call from the 'genetics councillor' about how I felt about the possibility of a positive result (mine ended up being negative). My reply was along the lines of "I'm having a bilateral mastectomy anyway, it's not like the news would change much"! (that is a little flippant to raise a smile, hope that's okay!).
Deep breaths. Find lots of ways to be nice to yourself. It'll be a relief to have the next bit over.
As per a post I've just put up and the other response, I've been down the BC path before too.
I've just had my 3rd BC diagnosis and and waiting on CT scan then treatment timeline.
My first was in 1992 then routine screening found a new primary in 2015 and everything in diagnosis, surgery, follow up treatments and support was very VERY different (for the better 🙂 ) in 2015.
Though I had surgery within a week / 10 days both in 1992 & 2015 I am sure 2+weeks will be fine. I am expecting a similar sort of timeline as I was told my surgery wont be till at least June.
As ever, it is the waiting that is the worst.
Well, this is me again, with an update, so not a reply as such.
I saw the surgeon a week ago today. He confirmed proposed mastectomy, along with likely chemo and radiotherapy, followed by hormone therapy, and a referral to genetics as now bilateral occurrences. I have two areas of concern - a grade 3 invasive and a high grade dcis, with possible micro invasions, ER+ and HER2 neg.
I was told, beforehand, that I would find out surgery date at that appointment. Surgeon confirmed this and then told me he would let me know later on during the appointment. However, bcn returned to say no date arranged, will let me know, probably end of month. Also, need to come in for pre ops, have covid test and then self isolate.
Two days later, I received a copy of the letter sent to my gp, a genetic doctor and another surgeon, in which it stated that the other surgeon probably has the next available slot.
I am still waiting for some news, of something. Just looked at the calendar and had a bit of a realisation that it’s two and a half weeks to end of month.
Am feeling a bit apprehensive. Is this usual? I was ok till looked at the calendar.
Thank you, bookish, for your kind and thoughtful reply.
I’m sorry to hear that you’ve gone through this more than once too, and your comment about it being the reverse of winning the lottery more than once did bring a smile to my face. And yes, you are right, I don’t face the fear of the unknown, like so many others. And things have improved. And we have a forum, which is so much more than before.
I have to admit, I may have felt a bit more wobbly about the diagnosis, due to still feeling sore from the two deep biopsies, and just having had my second vaccine. However, am feeling a bit better and stronger this morning.
I hope your mastectomy went well, and that your recovery is also going well. And, yes, there is so much to consider. I’m going to go slowly. Thank you again, and best wishes.
take care too, xx
I'm so sorry you've found yourself in this position - again. It's not fair, is it? 😞
I've had three primary BC diagnoses, over the course of 20 years. In my case there's maybe a bit more 'cause' than usual (I'm at high risk for reasons), but still, the second one in particular was after a 15 year gap and took the knees out from under me - it's the reverse of winning the lottery more than once.
The really good news: medical advances have been made since you last had to go through this. Things are improving all the time, so it will be different from your last treatment. Plus, you've been there and done that and you KNOW you can survive this! Yes, your emotions will still be all over the place, but you don't have to face quite the fear of the unknown that people facing this for the first time have piled on top of everything.
Please feel free to reach out - to me (here or pm), or just the forum in general - about all aspects of this. I had my mastectomy in January this year, and there's so much to ask and consider. I won't bombard you with info, but I hope knowing that you're not alone in having had multiple primaries is of some small comfort, at least.
Take care xx
Hello, I had a talk with a breast care nurse yesterday afternoon, where she told me that I have a new cancer in my other breast. Well, two areas, one invasive and the other non-invasive. This was after being called in to have some further exams after a routine mammogram. The doctor said he wasn’t overly concerned, as the shapes didn’t indicate anything of great concern on the second and magnified X-rays, nor could he find anything during ultrasound. The diagnosis was made from two biopsies.
The nurse gave me a lot of information, which was good, and I did appreciate her calm approach. She reassured me that the proposed mastectomy was because of the size and amount of areas of concern. I know she cannot answer the why or how. I really know that there is no answer to that. I’m glad that it is new and hasn’t spread from my left breast, but I’m a bit shocked to tell the truth. In a very mixed up way, because my previous diagnosis was in 1994 and I thought that was so well in the past and it just never, ever occurred to me that you get could get a new primary diagnosis.
I’m perplexed, even though I’ve been told about what will happen next. Have I gone round with my head in the clouds all these years? Will it really be better than last time, when I didn’t have a mastectomy but did have chemo, radiotherapy and tamoxifen? Have other women reacted in a similar way?