Lymphodema developing 18 months after surgery??

Hello Ladies

Do you know if it is possible to develop Lymphodema 18 months after surgery?

I had a lumpectomy with 8 nodes removed followed by chemo and radiotherapy.

After surgery I did physio for a few weeks and was lucky that I regained full movement in my arm with no signs of lymphodema. Since then I have remained active and a healthy weight.

Suddenly and for no apparent cause, I have developed swelling in my hand particularly between my index and third finger and a strong tightness along my arm to my armpit, almost in a line.

This has been going on for 3 weeks and to be honest I have been sticking my head in the sand just hoping it will go away. 

Is this likely to be lymphodema after all this time?

Hi Multitasker,

this sounds like it could be cording in your arm,  maybe google it.

i had this and had to see physiotherapist who gave me specific exercised to do and it did sort it out. Good luck.

mini mad xx ??

Hi Multitasker

My physio told me it can occur maybe two years after surgery and is more likely, the more nodes you have had removed relative to the number left behind. Unexpected swelling when there’s no injury and a faulty lymphatic system needs looking at. The tight line sounds like cording, as Mini Mad suggested. Circular massaging, starting at the wrist and working your way up the line (and of course regular sweeps up and across the chest to a healthy batch of nodes) will help with that but it may be painful at first and it may be wiser to see the oncology physio to show you how to manage it. I have it in my armpit and can’t shift it, tho it’s gone in the arm itself. I’d ring your breast care nurse Monday for advice. You need to catch lymphodoema early. Good luck x