64821members
341598posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support group for secondary BC hampshire/Winchester?

Highlighted

Re: Support group for secondary BC hampshire/Winchester?

Hi all

yes 18th is good for me. I can meet you at Portsmouth Harbour train station Helen if you let me know what time your catamaran is due in.

I'm very happy with 1.30 at Winchester as I'm out that evening and don't want to be home too late, I hope that will be ok for you ladies driving/riding ? 

Good ct results Nicky. Look forward to seeing you all on the 18th.

love 

Julia X 

Highlighted

After a bit of research I think Chesil car park is not too far away. x
Highlighted

Hello, I hope to meet you all on the 18th! I have got a few things on that day including bloods, picking up daughter, clinic appointment (managed to get a phone appt) . It will be fine as long as I am not too tired or poorly, I'm getting over a cold at the moment. I could also do 16th if needed to change. Can we park nearby? xx

Highlighted

Wed 18th in Winchester is fine for me. Can we make it 1.30 please as it takes 2 hours on catamaran & train from Island? Don't want to be too late getting home. The refectory at the cathedral is fine, I know Winchester quite well as daughter was at the Art School a few years ago.
Julia - will look at train times and we can go up together?
Hope you're all ok with treatments. Nicky - so pleased about your scan results.
Helen x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

Well, I'm back from holiday, straight into an oncology appointment for the resukts of my CT.  These were very good, phew.  I now show only one liver lesion (whereas I had several a few months back) which continues to shrink and all bones are stable.  I will now find out whether I should stay on Eribulin or move onto another, hormone based treatment.  So, that gives me a few weeks of freedom (from treatments) and I can now fit in with the date that has been suggested, 18th.  It sounds like Winchester is good for everyone and I am happy to get there for 1.30 if that suits everyone, or we can make it 2pm?  The Refectory of the Catherdral is still probably the easiest place for us all to find, it is a bit of a walk from the station however for those of you coming by train.  But I don't really know of anywhere nearer as I don't know Winchester that well other than meeting a few times a few years back at the library (Discovery Centre?).  I can check this out if necessary and change the venue to there if they still have the same facilities however for those of us who drive (or ride) it is more difficult for parking if I remember correctly.

Anyone else with SBC who would like to join us please let us know on here, just so we know to look out for you.  All are welcome, it is not a closed or organised group, just some ladies with SBC who like to have a chatter about things and a cuppa.

Nicky x

Highlighted

18th is better for me as I'll need to spend monday at work catching up from having friday off (CT scan).

Highlighted

Hi everyone.
Looking at the dates that can't be done & what I can't do, the only dates that tie in are Mon 16th and Wed 18th for me. Sorry, we're away in Majorca 19th- 29th. So if either 16th or 18th is ok for everyone I am happy to come to Winchester for 1.30ish. Let me know.
Hope treatment is going well for you all.
Helen x
Highlighted

Hello ladies,

I hope the CT went as well as can be Nicky, Helen I hope you are now rested after your hols. I am happy to meet in Winchester still, I've left work now my ill health retirement came through. But there are some dates I can't do, I have treatment on 9th Oct, and the other dates I can't do are: 11th, 20th, 24th, and 30th is treatment day. Other than that I'm free. 

Look forward to hearing all your holiday news Helen and about the new baby Nicky, I bet grandma duties are wonderful.  Be lovely to see you again Dragoncarine, and meeting any newer ladies too.

take care everyone

love

Julia Xx 

Highlighted

I can't do: 4th, 5th, 6th, 13th, 20th, 23rd, 25th October as far as I know. Other dates in October should be fine. 23rd to 27th is half term so Tuesday 24th, Thursday 26th or Friday 27th would be handy as I wouldn't need time off work.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

I have now finished my eribulin, as far as know, but these oncs do have a tendency to surprise you! Due a CT later today with follow up in about 10 days. More than happy with the gap as we are having a delayed holiday in between the scan and the results.

Dates for meeting up will, for me, be in October. Until I find out what the next steps are I am free most days from 6th Oct onwards. Happy to fit around everyone's treatment, and work, commitments and also to travel to Portsmouth or Winchester. Maybe you can all suggest the dates that suit you and we can all come up with one that's fits all, or most, of us?

I may be able to check in here whilst away but if you don't hear from me it will be because I've not had internet and I'll respond once I get back.

Nicky X

Highlighted

I work at the School in Romsey - take time off whenever I need it. I'm having regular reflexology sessions and really appreciate the calm away from School!

Highlighted

Oops yes I got date wrong. I do hope the radio therapy does the job. Are you working full-time? it's a nice centre at romsey, I would be happy to meet there if you like.

Highlighted

Oops yes I got date wrong. I do hope the radio therapy does the job. Are you working full-time? it's a nice centre at romsey, I would be happy too meet there if you like.

Highlighted

Been in to Jane Scarth house in Romsey - date is wednesday 27th Sept, 2-4pm - sounds really good. Sadly I can't make it as I'm due to have radiotherapy on my arm that afternoon as pain is getting very annoying now.

Highlighted

Hello, apologies I have not been on for a while but feeling better and would like to try & join you. There is an event at cancer centre in Romsey on wednesday 22 sept, 2pm if anyone would like to come, its on mindfulness & dealing with symptoms, best check with them first. Hope to meet some of you soon. x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

Sorry it's taken me a while to read this, I've been out all day and not had my phone - or iPad. Would it be OK to postpone it? I know you would have quite a long trip up to Winchester dragoncarine and to be honest I've got a busy week ahead with bloods on TUes and treatment Weds, plus of course a new grandson to fit in! I hope this is ok and once I get past Weds, when I have my last eribulin, I will post some alternative dates that we can all look at and work around. It's been a busy couple of weeks so an extra afternoon free would help quite a bit at the moment.

Nicky x

Highlighted

If only Nicki & I are able to make it, should we rearrange for another day - or shall we still go ahead with tomorrow?

Highlighted

Hi everyone
So so sorry but I can't make tomorrow. I am still on way back from France and I am feeling very tired with the travelling today. Think I need to rest for a day or two before onc appointment 20th Sept & next eribulin. Would definitely like to come over to Winchester though for next meet up. Sorry to be such a wuss.
Take care my friends.
Love Helen xx
Highlighted

I am intending to be there, will leave work just after 2 (when playground is clear of kids so should make it by 2:30). My washer upper lady has been given extra hours to cover for me when I need time off. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi 

Just checking to see who is meeting up in Winchester tomorrow? As far as I know Helen and I have said we can, don't know if you are able dragoncarine? Sorry you can't join us Julia (and thanks for the congrats, he is gorgeous!). Helen, are you still able to make it as its quite a journey for you? 

Nicky x

Highlighted

Congratulations to all Nicky! Lovely news you are a grandma 😀👏 . 

Love Julia  ❤️ 

Highlighted

Just waiting to se what I've got on atwork for monday, off today for hospital so hopefully will confirm by end of tomorrow. I intend to be there unless there's a mad rush of teacher panic requests.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

Just checking in to see who is able to make the next meet up this coming Monday in Winchester.

As far as I know both Helen and I can make it, Julia is on her treatment day (sorry you can't make it) and haven't had confirmation from dragoncarine.

Any other SBC ladies are welcome to join in.

btw my daughter had a beautiful baby boy last Thursday at 11pm. A week early but she was more than happy not to have waited any longer. Both doing well, as well as her OH.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi ladies,

just checking in with you all.  I had a great time in Norway and swam in a couple of the Fjords - chilly but invigorating. I managed to track down a couple of vintage shops and buy some old sheets which I'm busy turning into dresses 😁. Nicky you must getting so excited - not long now 👶🏻. I'm afraid I can't make the 18th it's my treatment day, but hopefully I can make the next one. Sending you all love and hugs and hoping everyone is doing well and all is peaceful. 

Love Julia X 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

I can also still do 18th Sept so we will go with that date - hope that its OK for everyone?  Meeting in Winchester at The Refectory near the cathedral at say 2.30?

Keep checking on here for any changes up until then.

Helen, my daughter is doing fine, just getting impatient!  If things change for me, such as her having her baby, I will update whether I can still make it or not.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi everyone
Lovely to meet you Dragoncarine last month. Hope you had a good holiday.
I can only meet on Mon 18th- happy to come to Winchester on train. Will keep checking here. We're off to France end of next week in between eribulin cycles. Started cycle 10 today - feel ok which is good.
Hope you're all getting on well with treatments. Not long now for your first grandchild Nicky, hope your daughter is coping ok.
Take care of yourselves.
Love Helen x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

I'll wait until there's a few more responses to confirm dates if thats OK? I'm still OK for all of the dates as well but things could change so keep checking in here for more info.

Nicky x

Highlighted

All those days fine for me  as long as I'm not to busy at work.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies, hope you have managed to get away from this awful August weather. We had a few breaks earlier in the year so have been at home for the 'summer' but doing a few visits and events to keep us busy.

Having checked my dates I realise that my next week off treatment is during the time when we have more workmen coming in so that week will be out for me unfortunately.  The other weeks do mean I will have to fit things around blood tests, onc appts, scans and treatment so I'm a bit limited - oh, and our eldest daughter is due to give birth as well! The best dates for me are 11th and 12th and then 18th and 19th but I could have to cancel at the last minute depending what is happening with my daughter.

Im suggesting we meet at The Refectory (cafe) just to the side of Winchester Cathedral as its easy to find. We used to meet here a number of years ago when the group first started and it is a large area with plenty of seats. I'm suggesting 2.30 but please say what time, and also what date, suits you all the best. If none of these dates suit us all we may have to come up with some others, or just go with the one that fits in with the majority. Also please feel free to suggest other dates, the ones I have put are the ones I know I should be able to make but it may be possible on other dates as well.

As I've said before, anyone with SBC is welcome, you don't have to live in Hants, it's just easier to get to if you do.

Nicky x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

It was lovely to meet up on Monday, despite the problems trying to park on a very busy day in Portsmouth!  Great to meet you Dragoncarine and enjoy your holiday, hope the weather improves from what we are having.

I will put some other dates up for early September once I have checked my treatment scedule but feel free to suggest dates as well.  We had talked about Winchester so I think that makes a good place to start with and if any other Hants ladies with SBC want to join us it may be easier than meeting in Portsmouth as it's more central.

Have a good August, may the sun (try to ) shine and I'll post again in a few weeks.

Nicky x

Highlighted
Community Champion

And the same from me! I'll aim to be there at 2.15 when Helen has said she will get there. Looks like it's going to be a nice sunny day ☀️

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi ladies
Looking forward to seeing you later.
Helen x
Highlighted

That's good news Dragoncarnie about your scan results, always a huge relief. Hopefully meet you on Monday ☺

julia 😀

Highlighted

Hello, I plan to be there. I'll be on the bike, so easy to recognise as I'll either be in black leather or if it's raining wrapped up like some sort of black michelin man Smiley Happy

Got my appt to find out results of first scan since treatment began later today, feelings a little mixed at the moment but hopefully I'll be a little more settled by Monday. Update: scan results show Tamoxifen working, huge relief and feeling decidedly more positive about life Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi everyone 

I'll be there too, thank you for making it Portsmouth, sorry for being a pain. Hope you had a great trip Helen.

see you all on 31st.

love 

Julia X 

Highlighted

Hi everyone
Just back from Paris & seen the thread. I will be there about 2.15 on 31st July. Looking forward to seeing you all.
Love Helen x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ladies

I was going to add a post to say it looks like 31st is a date we can all do but where to meet? However having now got Julia's update it sounds like Portsmouth would still be the right place this time as we can all get there. Shall we say 2-2.30 in the cafe at the bottom of the Spinnaker Tower as before? Everyone needs to check this thread that morning to make sure the meet up is still going ahead.

Julia, great news you've decided to take early (very, you spring chicken!) retirement at a time that is right for you. I think it's always up to the individual what they should do, sometimes work is a good distraction, sometimes it gets in the way of making the most of things.

If anyone else with SBC would like to join us the details are above. All of us who have met before and therefore recognise each other will look out for the newbies.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hi Nicky and Helen, dragoncarnie and pippy 

how fantastic Helen to be going to the Tour de France, hope you have an amazing time and the weather is better than forecast here. I can meet up on 31st July as I'm only working in the morning that day, the 7th August is a treatment day for me so I can't do that one, then I am away until until mid August. After that guess what Helen and Nicky...... yep I've gone for ill health retirement! I'm leaving to enjoy myself and do more "stuff", I just felt the time was now right, so my last day is end of August. 

If we do meet up on 31st July I would only really be able to make Portsmouth that day as I'm working till lunch time and would need to go home and sort out dogs before coming, so timewise I couldn't make Winchester or Southampton this time, but if everyone else wants a change of scenery or it's better for newcomers I don't mind.  

Good luck Helen with scan results.  I hope everyones treatment  is going smoothly.  

Beanbob I hope you are doing ok, and we can meet up again soon.

love 

Julia Xx 

Highlighted

Welcome Dragoncarine & Pippy
I can do Mon 31st July, happy to go to Winchester or Southampton for a change. I am an Isle of Wight girl so Portsmouth is easiest but now I am retired from work I can go anywhere!
Be nice to see everyone. Nicky & Julia -off to see the Tour de France in Paris tonight!
Beanbob - hope you're ok. How is the SIRT going?

Good luck with your treatments & hope to see you soon. I have a CT on 28th July after 8 cycles of eribulin so fingers crossed it is helping my liver.
Love Helen x
Highlighted

Hello. I can do 31st July or 18th August but will be in France 1st to 17th August visiting family.

Location not that much of a problem for me as I can get most places fairly quickly & easily

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi 

It sounds like there are even more ladies in the southernmost parts of Hampshire! I seem to be the only one at the northernmost part.

When the (small) group met last time we did discuss meeting in Winchester to accomodate anyone who would find it easier to get there rather than Portsmouth where we have recently been meeting.  As I appear to be the only current SBC lady travelling some distance I am happy to meet in either place but not more than once a month due to current treatment appointments and the distance.  If any of you want to arrange other meetings, possibly in Southampton please go ahead, if I can make any of them I will do, as might other ladies with SBC.

So, in answer to dragoncarinne's question we don't always meet on a Friday, we have done in the past as it fitted around those ladies still working and/or on treatment but it can be any day of the week. Anyone who can make it usually adds to this thread or suggests which days suit them best.  Currently I have my treatment on a Wednesday, 2 weeks out of every 3, so that day is out for me. Sometimes I'm also a bit tired on the Thursday of these weeks so that's proably not the best day for me either if I'm driving to Portsmouth.

Suggested dates for the next meet up:

Mon 31st July, Mon 7th Aug, any day w/c 14th Aug. Venue to be decided depending on the majority decision.

These are only the dates that I can do, others might suggest more/different dates and anyone can meet with anyone else at any time if they want to. This is only organised amongst ourselves and nothing to do with BCC. Sometimes we have to cancel at the last minute, especially those of us on chemo, so even if a time and place has been agreed on you should check on here nearer the time to make sure it's still going ahead.

Let's see if any of these dates comes up as a good one for most if us and please add to this thread so we all know.

Nicky x

Highlighted

Sorry only just seen this, also on live chat at the moment xx

Highlighted

First thing I had was bone scan - it was really cool to have a print out of my skeleton! What was nice was seeing that all the pains I've been complaining about showed up as black spots on the scan. Had to have injection of radioactive stuff then come back 2 hours later (not a problem for me as I live so close to hospital). I had an extra scan of my skull (got a spot there) and some close ups of my ribs as there's been quite a lot of pain there. was similar experience to CT scan (which I had the following day).

Highlighted

Hi, that sounds good that we are nearby, I'm not sure how you do private mail on here. I have got my second Taxol today, last weeks was OK but the dose is going up this time so I hope I will feel OK. Mine is lungs and liver and probably bone too, got to have a bone scan soon, have you had one of those?

Highlighted

I live in Southampton too, only recently diagnosed - I've just had 2 weeks off work but going back on Monday morning (afternoon off for CT scan) - I'm generally around if you want to meet up though.

Highlighted

Hi I live in Southampton area, would love to chat with others with secondaries. I have just started weekly chemo on a friday, do you meet up any other day? Thank you x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi dragoncarine

Yes, it suddenly does hit you so it's a good move to take some time off and step back from other responsibilities. Although I don't work now I did when first diagnosed with secondaries and many ladies do work, it's just getting the right balance for you. Just to let you know you are covered by the disabilities Act so your place of work does have to make concessions. You may want to check this out for yourself as I don't know any more than that.

I have been away for a week and now back into my treatment cycle so I will post in a few days time with some possible dates. This will be the ones I suggest but anyone else is welcome to suggest other times/dates/places. I think the last time we met we had discussed Winchester as the next place, we used to meet there a few years back when more ladies were still with us but have recently moved the meeting place to Portsmouth as that has suited the few that have been meeting up more recently. I am definitely not around this week, need to catch up on things, but hopefully we can get another date arranged when you are still off work for us all to meet up.

Nicky x

Highlighted

So it's all finally sinking in and I'm taking a couple of weeks off work to get my head round what's happening. So if anyone is free, would be good to meet up

Highlighted

Hi all

really lovely to see you Nicky and Helen. Helen I hope you've had a lovely time with your daughter. Hopefully next time we will meet you Dragoncarine, I am still working but if I see the posts in time I take the day off 😃.  I see Kadcyla is back available on the NHS, good news.

Hope you are all keeping cool in this heat. Look forward to our next meet up.

Love to all 

Julia x 

Highlighted

I will try that. Had a lovely day off today as I had to go to hospital for an injection and booked the whole day off - I think I will continue to have odd days off like (especially if weather is nice!) - so at least I can get some benefit from all this. Hopefully I can make next meeting.