what to eat

I would like to know if everyone with secondary breast cancer has a normal appetite and also do they just eat what they want or cut out certain foods,I am asking because I have no appetite and I am losing weight every day feb 2020 12st 4oz oct 2020 8 st 10 oz I am forcing myself to eat but I cannot eat big portions. I have been told by  a nutritionist to try to keep to a low fat diet but I have recently been eating bread sweets and crisps I was also told by nutritionist to cut out dairy so I have been having porridge in morning with unsweetened coconut milk but I am fading away quickly I amh HER2 + or/PR- any tips would be appreciated also curious about other sbc appetites and what they eat thabks for any help .

Hi Gina, wow that is a big weight loss. I have previously lost weight at certain times of my time of living with SBC, mainly due to stress,  luckily my appetite has returned once I know a treatment is working. I have noticed that I have gained weight whilst on hormone treatments and lost weight whilst on chemo. At the moment the treatment I’m on, an inhibitor drug,has caused my appetite to reduce a lot. I try to eat more earlier in the day when my appetite is bigger but by the evening I’m eating a much smaller portion than I used to. I’ve also noticed that I don’t fancy certain foods nowand can be very particular about what I want to eat.  One of the side effects of this drug is a loss of appetite, as with a lot of treatments according to their fact sheets, but this is the first time I’ve really noticed it. Your dietician should be able to give you high energy supplements like drinks particularly if you don’t want to eat much, maybe ask them for more help if you struggle eating ‘normal’ foods?
Nicky x

I’m not sure how much help I’ll be as I was only diagnosed in July so still fairly new to this. I have changed my diet to avoid dairy, sugar, alcohol, processed foods and minimise meat. For me I’m being strict at the moment to try and help give the treatment a kick start but no doubt if things start to look more positive then I’ll probably relax my diet a little.

I have lost weight but I think that’s the initial change to my diet, especially the lack of wine!! Fortunately my appetite hasn’t been impacted too much since I stopped the chemo. I guess it’s trying to eat little & often if u can, your stomach has probably shrunk a lot as you haven’t been able to eat so it’s trying to stretch it gradually if you can. There are still Good fats you can have avocados, nuts etc which may help increase your calories without having sugar or bad fats if you’re avoiding them.

hope you find something that works xx

In general, secondary breast cancer (also known as metastatic breast cancer) can vary greatly from person to person, and each individual may experience different symptoms and side effects. Loss of appetite and weight loss can be common in cancer patients, but it’s essential to work closely with your medical team to address these issues.

A nutritionist or dietitian who specializes in cancer care can provide guidance tailored to your specific needs. They may recommend a variety of strategies to help maintain your nutritional intake, such as eating smaller, more frequent meals, including nutrient-dense foods, and incorporating high-calorie, high-protein options. They may also provide advice on managing specific dietary restrictions or preferences, such as a low-fat or dairy-free diet.

Furthermore, incorporating refreshing and nutritious dishes like a mandarin orange salad can be beneficial. Mandarin oranges are rich in vitamin C and other essential nutrients. The vibrant citrus flavor adds a delightful twist to your meals while providing valuable antioxidants. Including mandarin orange salad in your diet can help boost your overall nutritional intake and add variety to your meals during cancer treatment. Consult with your nutritionist or dietitian to explore suitable recipes and serving suggestions.

Some cancer treatments and medications can affect appetite and taste, leading to changes in food preferences. Additionally, psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, or depression can also contribute to changes in appetite. It’s important to discuss your concerns with your healthcare team, as they can provide tailored advice and support. While a nutritionist may have recommended a low-fat diet and cutting out dairy, it’s crucial to maintain a well-balanced diet that meets your nutritional needs. If you’re struggling with your appetite, you might try eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day instead of large portions. Including nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats can be beneficial. However, it’s best to consult your healthcare team or a registered dietitian who specializes in oncology nutrition to create a plan that suits your specific needs.