cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resources and Support for older children

3 REPLIES 3
essjay19

Re: Resources and Support for older children

The nurses at my hospital told me about this resource yesterday. Not cheap, but looks brilliant. I've bought one of the boxes for my kids so we can craft and talk together. https://fruitflycollective.com 

catzmagic

We took a similar approach. I just find it worrying that she has absolutely no questions. Maybe she’s just used to parents having medical issues as her dad has MS.

essjay19

hey catzmagic

i struggled with this too (had to share the news last w/e). in the end didn't use any resources, but went for a really simple explanation. and then gave space for all the questions as they trickled through. promised her i'd answer anything as best i could, but sometimes i might not have answers. i let her give it a name so we don't have to talk about cancer the whole time. and i'm encouraging open conversation about it as much as possible. I didn't like any of the websites either. good luck. 

catzmagic

Resources and Support for older children

Has anyone come across good online resources/support for children? I’m not looking for books or leaflets as I know my daughter will ignore them. My neighbour suggested RipRap but I feel it’s too grown up for my 10 year old and she might be freaked out by kids posting about their parents’ unfavourable prognosis. Thanks