13 Radiotherapy sessions

I have started radiotherapy and have been told I am to have 13 sessions, on reading this site I see that sessions seem to be between 15 and 25, does anyone else only have 13, should I be worried? should I be asking why?

Thanks Val

Hi Val

We have a information leaflet on radiotherapy which you may find useful. It can be found by following the link below:-

breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/radiotherapy_mar_06_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi Bizzi,

I believe that they decide what dose you need and then divide it into fractions. It depends on where they are aiming too. I am having 25 lower doses because I have an LD recon. and they don’t want to cook it too much. I am having the rads for peace of mind as my tumour was large and close to skin and chest wall. I decided a slightly cooked recon. was better than none at all if it came back.

I’m sure your radiographers will explain to you if you ask.

Good luck

Hi Bizzi
I’m due to have 16 treatments. I was originally told 25 so am pleased it’s less. I was told there is compelling evidence that with newer machines fewer doses are needed although the doses are graduated. I assume that means they get stronger with each one.
The thing to remember is that treatment will be tailored to suit each individual diagnosis.
x

Hi Val try not to worry.

Mum and I were both going through treatment together dx one week apart. We both had the works and both finished around aug last year.
As I recall mum had 13 and I had 13 + 3 boosters as mine was very near the skins surface.

As lynnietom says above treatment from start to finish, be it chemo, rads, hormone drugs is all one big perscription for each and everyone of us. No two people are the same and every regime will be different.

Take care and wishing you luck, remember your cream 3 times a day and keep covered from the sun at all times.

Mandy xxx

Thanks girls for your replies, I did ask the radiographers about this and they confirmed really what you are saying, treatment is tailored for me.

Thanks again
Val x

Hi Bizzi

I had 30 sessions of rads last year which is probably quite high but as all the ladies are saying, the radiotherapy treatment is targeted specifically to you. Please look after yourself during your treatment, get plenty of rest and try not to think you can do everything - I did and ended up with respiratory infection which took months to recover from. I think this is very rare and I should have listened to the radiographers and nurses!

Very best wishes to you all XX