Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Chemo 21st Jan

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: 1st Chemo 21st Jan

Hi All,

Don't know whether to class it as day two or three, but still feeling pretty ropey.
I know eating will make me feel better but don't really feel like it. I really hoped to be feeling better today, but just the same really. It's got to get better soon right????
Hope you ladies are all doing well.

Richo - Are you feeling back on a level now?
Ruth - how you getting on today? Feeling better?

Debs XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Debs
Actually having the portacath put in was no problem particularly as I didn't need a general anaesthetic. And they used it straightaway for the chemo and I didn't feel a thing. I just hate it when they tap your arm looking for a vein and then it takes one or two attempts. I was recommended to have one by a friend and so far so good. I still have the dressing on and it looks bruised but I can't feel it unless I touch it and am already sleeping on it on my stomach. It's my arm from the auxillary clearance that's still annoying. But hopefully more exercises and physio will sort that.Today I'm feeling about the same but not quite so fuzzy.
But I know it's early days - such a cliche but it really is take each day as it comes.
Get plenty of rest. I've a friend bringing round steak and kidney pie soon which makes me feel a real fraud as my husband cooked me a delicious shepherds pie yesterday.But you can't refuse help.
Get plenty of rest and hope you're feeling better today and the little ones are not too demanding.
Ruth

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ruth,
I've not really wanted to eat today either, it's been a real struggle. felt well this morning and then it went down hill pretty quick had to go back to bed twice. But still managed to pick my daughter up from nursery and do the weekly shop. Admitedly with a nap on either side of these events. Feeling almost back to normal at the moment but not really counting on it lasting.

I really feel for you having the portacath, they thought i might need one to as my veins aren't great and i still have to do a year of hercptin after this whoch is intraveinous too. They sat me with my hand in really hot water for a while first to bring the veins up, and managed to find a decent one on the inside of my wrist. Fingers crossed that it'll last out the treatments.
I think in a way having the kids so young is a blessing, it gives me a reason to get on with it, to keep it 'normal' for them but also they are too young to really be affected by it, they are not old enough to understand the word cancer and the fear that it brings and for them mummy only having one boob will be normal. It also gives me extra strenght as i want to see them grow up. If there was ever a good time for this to happen for me it is now when they are least affected.
i really hope you feel better soon, thinking of you.

Debs XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks ladies for your good wishes.
Yesterday went well though I had a long tiring day as I had a port catheter fitted before the chemo. We arrived home at 8pm pretty zonked out and went to bed.
This morning I feel better than I expected. The anti sickness and steroid tablets are rattling around in my stomach and seem to be working. Just feel washed out and my stomach feels a bit strange. So taking it very easy but I know there's a long way to go.
I am lucky that my children are all at uni so I can please myself - I really admire those of you who are looking after children as well as coping with all of this. You make me feel humble as looking after children when you are fighting fit is exhausting enough.
Not feeling hungry at all but feel I should have some lunch soon - if only to help line the stomach for the next load of tablets.
Stay well if you can.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies.
Today is much better, i was up early which i'm pretty annoyed about as i could of had a justified lie in!!!
Feel okay though. my tummy feels abit queasy and unsettled and i feel abit fuzzy but apart from that i'm okay....so far.

Finty - I've asked about the immunsisations, my health visitor is sorting them out for the kids ,as at under five they are both in the at risk catergory, They never mention my other half, our doctors are actually givening them so we're looking at other places.

Thanks to all. Hope you are all having good days.
Debs XXX

finty

Debs you raise an important issue about catching viruses from your children. Before staring chemo I asked my GP about vaccinations, and my whole family (me, husband and kids) were given the flu and swine flu jabs. I don't know if is too late for you to do this - but it might be worth asking.

Richo

Thinking about you Ruth, hope you ok xx

Richo

Debs, 28!! So young, I am 54 and used to the hot flushes. bless you, if you have'nt been actually sick thats great. Just take it easy, drink lots and rest, tomorrow will be better and day after great.

Take care xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Richo.

Today went okay, i was so wound up when i got to the hospital, i cried, but only a bit. The actual having of the drugs was not bad at all. Started feeling quite ill at six, i have a list of woes. i'm having hot flushes ( i'm only twenty eight, hadn't planned on these for another twenty or so years), feel pretty sick, have a head ache and my legs ache.
But i am trying positive thinking, that tomorrow has to be better.
Just wanted to check in really, as i'm kind of proud i'm still on my feet.
Hope all is well with you too.

Ruth - How did you get on today? Hope it went well for you.

Thanks for the support Richo.

Debs XXX

Richo

Ruth/Debs good luck for today, thinking of you both.

Anne xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All.

Got my first EC tomorrow. A little scared now, but have been kept so busy it's crept up without me relising,Both my littlies have been quite ill with ear, nose and thoat infections, Got every thing crossed i'm not going to get it, last thing i need !!!
My brother is serving in Afghanistan and managed to get to a phone to call and wish me luck, bless him.

Richo - I'm glad your doing well, you give me hope it won't be as bad as i think. I guess once the first on is done you know what to expect.

Ruth - Good luck for tomorrow too, hope it goes well for us both.

Will keep you posted.

Debs XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Luck for tomorrow Ruth, and to everyone else who is having chemo soon. Im having my 4/6 tax tomorrow ..... dont the three weeks come round quickly?? (actually, I find the first week drags, but then the time does go quickly before the next one)

Let us know how you get on 🙂

K x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Richo for your advice on roughage and pleased that you are feeling half normal today. You here so many stories about how awful it is that it's great to hear positive news. I think it's fear of the unknown - I shall be pleased when I have the first one under my belt as it were. I know it can be cumulative and different cycles can affect you differently but that first one is the hurdle I want to get over. I am going to have FEC x 3 and Tax x 3 by the way. I am also going to try the freezer cap - I am prepared for it not to work but think it's worth a try.

Richo

Morning All,

Feel good again this morning, Day 7, am going to loo ok ish now and have a good appetite. I don't know if I have been lucky or if there is something hiding round the corner to bite me on the bum but fingers crossed. Am aware that blood count drops sometime now for a while and am open to infection. Bit paranoid about that and have a tube of savlon at the ready. Got a sore patch behind my ear last night (why I have no idea) so was obsessively slapping on savlon all night.

Ruth 99, good luck for first cocktail tomorrow. Be positive and drink lots and lots, also I think next time (well actually I am trying to do it now) but I have increased my roughage if you know what I mean and I am eating dates/linseed seeds on my cerael, eating grapes/fruit and of course drinking as much as I can (mind have not touched a drop of alcohol yet!!!!! My god that is unbelievable for me). We usually have a couple of pints (northern lass) on a Thursday after work (I call it Thirsty Thursday) so might nip out this week.

Debs, When do you start your treatment? I am going to pick up my wig today, I was there last week matching up colours, styles and hopefully I should have 3 to choose from. I'm quite excited, just think, no messing about with washing/drying/styling and this gives me the chance to get rid of my probably over dyed hair and start again. I got my hair cut short last week and so far nothing fell out yet. Not sure who is getting the job to shave it off once it starts going, but as soon as one handful appears its off!!

I am a very big believer in positive thoughts and our mind is the most powerful thing in our body.

Good luck to you all, and keep us posted on how you get on!!

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Richo,
Went in for my pre-assessment today and i really hit home that i'm going to have to do this. They went through everything with me and referred me for a wig, don't really know how i feel about that yet.
It feels like tomorrow is my last day as a normal person before i turn in to something else. I hope it won't be as bad as i expect, it just the not knowing.
I was told my hair would go at about fourteen days, my other half is going to shave it for me when it starts, i feel it will be less distressing that way.
Coping okay though, we're taking the kids out for a family fun day, even though they are both to young really to know whats going on.

How are you feeling now? How are you feeling about the hair loss, it seems to be a fifty fifty split in how people cope with it.

Take care
Debs

Guest user
Not applicable

My first chemo on Thurs 28th so thanks for all the comments.Will definitely take anti-sickness meds before I need them and hope I don't get constipation.

Richo

Teresa,

How nice that people are leaving fruit and veg for you, thats really thoughtful of them.

How are you doing?

Debs,

Good luck for Thursday xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Richo, not quite sure if i´m offered a wig, but biggest battle overcome in finding oncologists who speak English, now accomplished that!
I don´t know but it hits you when you live in a foreign country when your ill a little harder, every appointment you have is via a third party translator, then you think did they tell me everything etc, the list goes on, normal day to day living I love the country, in my village where I live it´s mainly spanish and they have found out that I have cancer, most days early morning theres a bag of fruit and vegatables hanging on my door, avacados, oranges, lemons, cauli, pots, etc, nobody admits to leaving them there just there!

It´s great, but on the other hand i was sent home with partial masectomy, 22 lymph removal, seroma, 2 drains, no nurse, no exersises etc. 15 hours after my op, the list goes on! Even though we apparantly one of the best cancer research hospitals in the whole of Europe, Malaga University hosp!
Many thanks, Teresa x

Richo

Terasa,

I was told I would probably start losing my hair 2-3 weeks after first cocktail, but not really sure, can be different for everyone. I believe you just need to be prepared with lots of hats/scarfs. Do you get a wig??

Sorry to hear you feel isolated and lonely. You will hopefully find this site helpful, everyone is here to support each other.

Take care and keep posting xxx

Anne

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, Thanks Richo thats helped, the side effects seem to be pretty quick, am I correct in thinking this? How soon am I likely to lose my hair? Is it after first session or does everyone differ, I just want to be prepared, I´m also going to make my own ginger ale as this is hard to come by and quite expensive out here, do you all think this will work the same? Sorry to ask so many questions but stuck out in Spain no care nurse given who I can ask these questions I feel a little in limbo and a little lonely,
Thanks Teresa x

Richo

Well its day three since first cocktail and don't feel too bad, sickness seems to be in control with drugs, mouth a little sore today and using the difflam mouth wash. Also have not been the loo for a No.2 since Thursday, should I try taking some senokot?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hope everyone feeling ok, and Debs have you been on the top tips of chemo thread, it is really useful.

Best Regards

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

im doing fec, as well. once every 3 weeks,

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Teresa - chemo is normally every 3 weeks cause you need time to recover between sessions and to have your White Blood count restored to "normal" levels. You may or may not suffer side effects everyone of us has different levels of side effect but you will find some tips on how to manage them - I have an excellent local GP who is super helpful also.

FEC is a combination of drugs - you will find excellent info on the drugs at cancer research

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/breast-cancer/index.htm?script=true

R x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I was told yesterday that I have 6 sessions of chemo and 36 days of rads plus full drugs, The chemo is only once every 21 days is this normal? Does this mean I shouldn´t feel so ill? Sorry for stupid questions but for some reason I thought chemo was done every week! Duh! Oh and can someone please explain to me what FEC is?
Thanks Teresa x

Richo

Debs,

Good Luck for next Thursday, I agree, the advice on this site has been invaluable. I drank loads before/during and after chemo and really thinked that helped. Take all the tablets!! It is day three for me today and feel surprisingly well (hope not too much round the corner).

Keep in touch and let us know how you go.

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Richo,

I hope you are recovering well,and feel a whole lot better today.

I start my chemo next thurs 28th, a little worried but i guess that will fully hit nearer the time. I'm only doing a short course 4xEC. Thanks for starting this thread, it's nice to have some ideas of effects and things you can do before hand. Take it easy as much as possible.

Debs

Richo

Hi,

Thanks for the ginger ale, Naz and Eva, have a friend dropping some off this afternoon, is it better to let it go flat?

Grace, am wearing the wrist bands but don'nt know if they are helping, I was injected in my right arm and have a like crampy dull pain in that forearm now (not sure if thats normal). I was also wondering if I can expect different se's to kick in over the next few days and how long nausea goes on for?? It is hard trying to keep up the fluids, I go no where without a bottle of water. Never bothered with cold cap, I have got my head round losing hair and got a lovely wig sorted and some nice scarfs and been shown different ways to dress them up and tie them. Hope all goes well for your next cocktail.

Take care all

Anne xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Anne, I started my chemo this week too (wednesday).I'm doing EC x4 & then Tax x4. I reckon I must have been lucky with SE's, they gave me anti sickness stuff with the treatment & told me to top up that night & carry on for 3 days, even another lot if I needed extra.As it is I feel fine...I struggle to keep up the fluid intake, rarely drink a glass full of anything! I used the cold cap & found it less uncomfy than advertised, the nurses werent keen but I felt it was worth a try.
Do hope you start to feel better too.Did you see the advice about using Travel Bands? Wouldnt be surprised if I get more Se's as it builds up...
Love Grace x

Guest user
Not applicable

aww, sorry youve been sick. I was too first chemo. (fec) Make sure you tell them before you have your next fec.

I now have emend anti sickness hour before chemo then i have anti sickness in a drip before the fec.

Then ondanzatron, dex, metoclopramide for a about 4 days afterwards.it's a lot of meds, but it has helped me.

I also find that ginger is good, i got some ginger sweets in the health shop, but also use ginger pop (once it's flat), or ginger tea.
hope you feel easier soon
eva

NAZ

Hi Rico
Just read your thread, how are you feeling today?

I would just echo what Finty said about taking the anti sickness tablets early...with my first FEC i took it as soon as i was feeling nauseous, by then it was too late and i felt ill all night.
With the second, i took it after my tea and didn't feel too bad, still had a bit of nausea but didn't feel ill all night.

Try some lemondade or ginger ale to keep your fluid intake up, nibble on biscuits/crackers - what ever your fancy really, that should hopefullt keep the nausea at bay.

Take care and rest up.

Naz x

Richo

Finty,

Did'nt bother with cold cap, have got some lovely scarfs/hats and pick up a wig next week. Just could'nt bear the thought of having to be there for some much longer without any guarantees.

Anne xx

finty

Richo, next time I would suggest taking your anti-nausea meds early - before you feel nauseous. First time I was very sick like you, second time I took the meds during chemo and was fine - felt a bit sick but wasn't actually sick. For the liquid, I find I can't tolerate water so have very dilute squash, or ginger ale if feeling sick. You really must force yourself to drink it - sorry.

Something else to be on the look out for - on days 3 and 4 I have felt very weepy, and I have noticed a few others report the same thing - so I don't answer the phone and keep away from people until it passes.

How did you get on with the cold cap?

Richo

Morning,

Felt ok last night till about 8.00 so took anti sickness pill Ondansetron and 45 mins later was throwing my insides up (yeuck!!).

Managed to get through night with no more sickness but felt very nauseous all night and still do a little this morning. Need to take another Ondansetron this morning and 2 steriod tablets. Someone advised taking steriods with a bannana so gonna try that. Also I know I need to drink lots of fluids but worried that with feeling like this it will just glug around in my stomach and make me feel even more sick.

Appreciate any suggestions / hints.

Jenny, how you doing??

Also when you talk about day 1 of cycle is day one the first day of chemo and would it be the next day? Am trying to keep a diary of symptoms.

Take care all.

anne xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks for the update, glad you are doing ok, thats great news.

i was told about morning sickness/liklihood of vomiting too, so i think its said to everyone.

take care,
eva

Richo

Hi,

Back home from hospital and having a nice cuppa and some ginger biscuits. The hospital side went well and no probs whatsoever. Feel good at the moment, prob famous last words, but we will deal with whatever comes along. Have drank loads about 2 1/2 litres of water so far......... can you drink too much??

My chemo nurse was lovely and chatted all the way through, she said that if I had'nt suffered from morning sickness when pregnant there is a good chance I will be ok. Not sure if she was just saying that to be nice but fingers crossed.

Had the crop this morning and quite like it.

Best wishes to everyone and keep smiling

Anne xxx

Jenny hope today been ok for you.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck for today, had my first 6th Jan, and all in all not too bad, considering they are pumping you full of unatural chemicals.
Please let us all know how you get on, remember we are all here for you, day and 3am

Lilythepink

Richo

Thanks everyone, will be in touch xxx

finty

Good luck richo - remember to drink masses before and after, and take the anti-nausea meds asap. Good luck with the crop - I was dreading that, having a big round face I thought it would look ridiculous. But I love it - my friends tell me I look 10 years younger, and am never going back to my old style. I guess if you're having the crop you are going for the cold cap - second time I took paracetamol beforehand for the headache and was much more tolerable.

Let us know how you get on. (Plus when the sleeplessness kicks in - kick your OH out and sleep with the dogs - nothing like a warm muzzle at 4am when you're feeling down!)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey

Good Luck for your first FECing today!

Its good to have it later in the day so you can go to bed if you start to feel icky & sleep it off! I always had mine at 2 o'clock and went to bed around 7pm when my nausea struck. Remember & take all the steroids & anti sickness meds they give you and if they don't work tell them so they can change them to something that does work for you.

If you're prone to constipation I'd say take something tonight as the granisetron is very constipating....catch it before it starts! I would also suggest you ask your chemo nurse for something for indigestion. A lot of us found that a lot of the nausea was actually caused by indigestion rather than the chemo and it's best to be prepared!

Will be thinking of you this afternoon!

Hx

Richo

Well todays the day. Have been up since 5.00 am and been on the loo a couple of times already. Plan to get up soon and take the dogs out then prepare corned beef hash for tea tonight. Then to the hairdressers to get the crop. Trying to keep busy.

Phew, roll on this evening.

xxx

Richo

Hi everyone,

Getting a little nervous now, but could not be better prepared thanks to all the advice on this site.

Good luck for tomorrow Jenny, keep in touch.

Best wishes to everyone and thanks to you all, could not manage without all of you.

Anne xx

Sam_BCC

Hi Richo

Breast cancer care have fact sheets on both of the chemo's you are about to start, you may find reading them helpful. If you would like to order a copy of these or read them on line just follow the links below:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/FEC_factsheet_BCC96.pdf

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/taxotere_jan_08_0.pdf

I hope your treatment goes well.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Guest user
Not applicable

yes, the time will go really quickly, ive just done my 3rd fec last week.

thinkikng of you for thurs,
eva

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Anne

Bumping this up for you!

I'm one of the '1st Chemo Tomorrow!' ladies too (with Trumpet & Jane)...have done 4 FEC & 3 TAX so far....only 1 TAX Left to do! You'll be amazed at how quickly the time flies!

There are a few new ladies joined the thread recently who are just starting Chemo too, so why don't you join us? I'm sure we'd all love to share our experiences with you & support you thru your treatment! 🐵

Good Luck for Thursday!

Hazel x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Anne

I'm starting my six sessions on 21st Jan. Will be in touch again after Thursday. Good luck. Jenny

jeanniew

Hi
I had my first Chemo on Friday. I will be doing 3 FEC and 3 Taxotere as well. So far so good have taken the anti-sickness pills and steroids and am feeling ok. Energy levels not as high as normal but then that could still be post op.

Good luck for Thursday xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Anne,
Just to say good luck on Thursday, I am lucky enough to say that although I am also having chemo Thursday, it will be my last one!!
You will not believe how quick it will go. I am also on Trumpets chemo thread and have found the other ladies fantastic. We have all helped and supported each other through the good times and the bad times and hopefully through rads too.
I will be thinking of you Thursday, you'll be fine.
Love Jane xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi!

I started a similar thread when i started chemo in September, am i and everyone involved has found it very useful sure people will be along to join, so just bumping this up!!

Good luck with it all

xx

Richo

1st Chemo 21st Jan

Hi, have my first chemo on Thursday 3 FEC then 3 Taxotere.

Would love to talk to anyone starting treatment similar time.

Anne xx