cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Mammogram after surgery

12 REPLIES 12
Bibi44

Re: 1st Mammogram after surgery

Fingers crossed you get the same.  Such a long wait for you.  Mine was 20mins.  Those radiographers should work a bit of overtime & catch up on the back log.  It's not fair to have to wait so long. xx

manathu

Really really well done.  Still waiting for my results. they said 3 to 4 weeks.  Fingers crossed

Bibi44

I got ANTWA rather than NED ... absolutely nothing to worry about. That'll do me 🍾🎊 don't know what that last thing is but it looks like party boobs to me 😀Xx

Bibi44

Thanks.  Hair looks a slightly odd colour, sort of pinky sandy colour rather than blond,  but anything's an improvement after 6 months of snowy white.  I was told that ultrasound won't pick up DCIS, only mammo can do that, which is why they recommend both.  Shame because ultrasound is miles better.  I wonder if MRI could pick it all up.  I might ask today. xx

manathu

I'm sure you will enjoy your new look. Do let us know how you get on when you have your mammogram.  You will probably sail through it.

Bibi44

Thanks Monica & Flora.  Will try to shoulders down technique.  The one that found cancer was my first, so only have fuzzy memory of that time now..seem to recall that I thought they were going to break my ribs!  Having my hair dyed for the first time since chemo this afternoon & will finally be able to lose the scarves, so this is a good week for me as well as a stressful one.  Will now have to face the fact that my looks totally mad & probably will do for the rest of this year xx

manathu

Thank you for your advice.  The way they pull you into position doesn't help. Also my radiographer was very young. She had never had a mammogram.  If it had been an older woman she might have been more sympathetic. Several people have suggested that I have an ultrasound next time. Not everyone finds it that painful.  I think I was just unlucky.

Monica x

feistyflora

Yes, I'm a similar age to you and about to undergo my second-year check. I always take the precaution of using painkillers in advance but still find mammograms really hard.  When I voiced my fears I was advised to drop my shoulders down and "just let them go floppy" and although it was still uncomfortable it did help a bit.  I think the problem is that when you anticipate discomfort you automatically tense up. This is only a little tip but I hope that it may help someone else.

manathu

Oh Bibi I am so sorry to hear that. I am much more anxious than I was before cancer. I even went to my doctor but he was pretty useless. At least you get your result the same day. Yes take the stronger pain killer &  Dr Bach rescue remedy is also good for calming you down. Really hope it goes well for you. 

Monica x

Bibi44

Hope you are feeling a lot better by now manthu.  I want to thank you for your post.  I was deliberating whether to go with ibuprofen or co-codamol for mine next Tues & you have just made up my mind for me.  Hope you have a NED result in your hand very soon.  Mine is same day result eek.  Went back to my bridge club for the first time in over a year yesterday. Was a bit stressed on the train, being trapped in a metal box with hundreds of other people, after people dodging for 9 months.  When I got there, my friend hadn't arrived & the whole place was jammed full of people.  I got completely overwhelmed & burst into tears.  This is so unlike me & I'm sure it us to do with pre scan anxiety. Xx

manathu

Hi Christine Thank you so much for your reply. Today I feel a bit silly but i honestly could not cope with the pain. Your answer shows that doctors don't always get things right .That must have been a really nasty thing to go through.  I think ultrasound may be the way for me. My original  lump appeared almost overnight & I had been having regular mammograms. I will be getting my results in about four weeks. In the meantime I am going to enjoy this beautiful weather.

Thank you again 

Monica xx

rubycat

Oh Monica, I am with you and sending you huge big virtual hugs.  I never had any infections, but on my first mammo in April, exactly same happened - pain was excruciating.  Managed to grit my teeth and keep going.  It amazed me her comment ' oh, it never hurts anyone', made me feel like a big baby, but she did say sorry & she was as quick as it  was possible to be.  But yes, it can really hurt - I'd had a seroma drained two days before, whether that had anything to do with it don't know. (Had had the seroma for a year, which they'd said was 'probably scar tissue'. Humph).  Anyway, waited 3 long weeks till letter eventually arrived,  which just adds to the anxiety, but thought no news was good news and it was as I'm now a Neddie, hooray.  Perhaps they could offer you an ultrasound, which could be of some help.  Hoping you join us in the paddock very shortly. Christine xxx

manathu

1st Mammogram after surgery

Hi I am 66 years old & last year in March & April   I had two operations for breast cancer. I developed a very bad infection which lasted for months & my right breast is still very sore. This is also as a result of the radiotherapy. Today I went for my first mammogram.  It did not go well. The radiographer took 2 pictures of my left breast which was fine but although I had taken 2 ibroproven tablets when she started to pull at my right breast it was agonizing. She managed to take one picture but when she moved me into position for the second one I just broke down and cried. I am quite stoic & I never make a fuss but I couldn't cope with the pain & I told her to stop. She was really surprised & said she would put a note in for the doctor. I was really distressed when I came out & I am still feeling very shaken.  Has this happened to anyone else please?

Monica