2 week wait for core biopsy results

Hello. I’m new. On Monday I had a core biopsy and I’ve got to wait 2 weeks till the results on Mon 25 Feb. I’ve been reeling the last two days as it was a total shock. I was sent to the breast screening because my boobs have been secreeting a small amount of milk and my blood tests show nothing wrong with my prolactin levels. Neither my GP or I found a lump or anything. I thought they might send me home and not even bother with a mamogram. I guess I’ve been very naive. I’m 35, married with a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son. My husband frequently stays away during the week for work but luckily is home at the mo till mid March. My dad died of prostate cancer when he was 58 and his dad died from a brain cancer when he was 42. I have no intention of carring on the family tradition! I have lost many friends and family to cancer but I also know many people who have survived cancer. I was in awe of the bravery my darling dad showed during the 7 years he lived with his cancer. He was not usually a brave man, who would have winged about a paper cut! It is such a testiment to human spirit and resilience that when we are put given the “worst case” scenario we can raise to the challenge. Some of the posts on here are so heartening. I hope that I too can stay strong, especially for my kids. x

Hi Monkey Chicken and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences here you may find it helps to give our helpliners a call, they can support you further during this difficult time of waiting, lines are open 9-5 during the week and 10-2 on Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care

Lucy

Hi Monkey Chicken,
I am sorry you find yourself in this position. You have also had to deal with familial history, which must add to the worry, but the waiting is the hardest part. I am recently diagnosed and am waiting for post surgical pathology results, a three week wait at my NHS Trust. I have good days and bad days with respect to coping, but I find the best thing is to keep busy, easier to deal with in bite size chunks. Try to arrange to see friends to take your mind off your situation as much as possible, or at least do things that you enjoy.
I have found these forums very comforting and helpful, particularly when wanting to know about particular treatments and side or after effects. Having an idea what might be ahead made the actual news easier to deal with. I am sure your mind will be working overtime (I had an overactive imagination!) but the reality was no where near as bad as I had imagined.
I will hope for good results for you on 25th (I get mine on 20th). Best of luck,
Christine

Hi Monkey Chicken,
i just wanted to send you hugs and tell you that your words are an inspiration.
I also had a core biopsy and am waiting for my results. Thankfully for me the wait is almost over…I’m getting mine this afternoon.
It’s been an agonising wait and I really do feel like I’ve been on a roller coaster. I’ve found it best to focus on little things that I like doing. Anything which requires much concentration has gone out of the window, because I find that if I think too hard my thoughts keep wandering back to the same place.
But the wait is almost over and will be for you too. Try not to focus on the 25th. Just take each day, or even each chunk of day at a time.
My mother died of lung cancer when she was 31. I’m 33 now. I’m sure if she was here now she would tell me to be positive and strong.
The strength in your words has given me a boost, so for that I thank you.
Hang in there lovely. Big hugs xx

Have ordered some willow in order to plant a living willow den in the garden over half term. Am creating a very long list of things to do with the kids this half term to keep busy while waiting for news. So many family and friends seem so sure it’s benign and won’t even contemplate anything else. “How can it be cancer - you are only 35” etc… I’m trying to stay positive but realise I need to recognise there is a posibility I have BC. I was so naive when I went into my mamogram I think I need to prepare myself a little for bad news. How on earth you actually do that I don’t know. The positive posts on here from women living with BC and even secondary BC are very helpful. I guess I need to try and think it probably isn’t BC but if it is then focus on creating an effective treament plan. Trying to stay positive…

Just discovered two black dots on my left nipple. I brushed them away and my nipple started to bleed a little. If I squeeze the nipple now it bleeds a little and some ducts product milk. The milk was the reason I went to the Dr in the first place but I have NEVER seen blood before. I had a core biopsy 7 days ago could that could the bleeding? Before my appointment at the breast screening I had never even noticed a lump, just had been producing a small amount of milk for a few months. Now I can feel a huge lump and now the bleeding could this all be trauma from the biopsy or is it indicative of something more serious? I don’t get my results till 25th. I’m now very, VERY scared! Any advice?

Thank you.

x

Hi,
I can’t offer you any suggestions as to what has caused the change in symptoms as I am not a doctor, but I can fully empathise with your concern. Despite being told that my cancer had an average growth cycle (100 days) I was convinced that it was growing at a rate of knots, but given that stress had stopped me eating, and I had lost some weight, the mass was just slightly more obvious. Your situation cannot change dramatically within the next week before your appointment. You will find out the situation then, which I am sure cannot be as bad as you are fearing now. Even if the biopsies come back postive, you will be in the best place for treatment; advances in BC research in the last 10 years have revolutionised treatment.
Keep looking through the forums, there have been a couple of inspirational posts made during the last week from ladies at their 10 year anniversary. I have found these particulary uplifting this week!
Keep strong, and keep posting. We are all going through this together, and can offer support as we go. I’ll be hoping for the best result for you next Monday.
Best wishes and cyber hugs,
MM xx

Thank you so much MM. I have found these boards a great help. I’ve managed relatively well to stay positive but the bleeding from the nipple is just such a shock. Especially as all the Drs and consultants I’ve seen so far (OK that’s only 3 but even so) have asked me repeatedly whether I’ve had any bloody discharge. This isn’t bloody discharge, this is just blood. Hmmm. won’t squeeze them again and will stop poking lump. Aggghhhh.
Thank you for your support. x

Thank you so much MM. I have found these boards a great help. I’ve managed relatively well to stay positive but the bleeding from the nipple is just such a shock. Especially as all the Drs and consultants I’ve seen so far (OK that’s only 3 but even so) have asked me repeatedly whether I’ve had any bloody discharge. This isn’t bloody discharge, this is just blood. Hmmm. won’t squeeze them again and will stop poking lump. Aggghhhh.
Thank you for your support. x

Great news! I’ve been given the all clear. Cell changes all “normal”. Calcifications are benign! Thank you to everyone who was such a support. The bravery, honesty and support shown on these boards is humbling. I am very aware how lucky I am.
Thank you and good luck to everyone with their journeys.
xxx

Excellent news, was just reading your thread and was hoping that the results on the 25th would be clear, then realised today was the 25th… So pleased for you, I bet you will sleep tonight…
Maggie x

That’s great news! Now you can get on with all those things that the worry demon prevented you from doing!
Best wishes
MM