Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 weeks post op 'WLE & SLNB'- next steps scared

8 REPLIES 8
Jill1998
Community Champion

Re: 2 weeks post op 'WLE & SLNB'- next steps scared

It's the worst part of this thing anxiously waiting for results !I had my first post treatment mammogram last week and guess what several weeks wait for results, cue more worried waiting !!!
debscoops

thank you Ann for taking time to respond to me I had 1.8mm lobular tumour removed and lympth nodes clear, I am feeling more positive and it is good to find people who have been through this, but I am just a bit anxious for results, and am glad you are doing well Deb

debscoops

thank you so much for your response , I will do a bit more reading up on it, I was in such shock I didnt ask the name of the test or anything - she did say thought it was unlikely I would need chemo,I will await the test results probably within 2 weeks. its the roller coaster of emotions that gets you- I thought I was a very together person, but I am more positive today  !    Deb

anngc

Hi, your tumour must be estrogen postive if you've been offered the Oncotype test. I was in the same position last year thought I would only need radiotherapy. I had an 8mm invasive Ductal tumour node was clear. My score came back at 38 so chemo was recommended. I had 4 cycles of Doxetacil & Cylophsphamide, I didn't need to have radiotherapy. I was very disappointed and nervous, but got through the chemo with fortunately very few side effects. I had the last one 22/2, and now feel really well,

Ann xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Ps there is very good clear information about this test in the information section of the Breast cancer care site .
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Deb,it sounds like you have been offered the Oncotype DX test .It helps make a decision re chemo it predicts the likelihood of a reoccurrence and based on that the Oncologist will discuss the possible benefits for you.If you are having the test it means you are only considered marginal for chemo so there is a good chance you won't need it.
Bottyboo

Hi I haven't been in this position as I knew I had a positive node from the start. Have just had chemo number 2 yesterday. It's not something I would choose to do however it is doable. You just have to remember that the first week you need to do what makes you feel best. Eat what you want when you want and rest when you need to. The following two weeks are pretty much normal. Hopefully you'll avoid chemo but please don't be worried if you don't xx
OnceWild

Hello Debs

I am 2 weeks post MX and ANC. I knew from biopsy results that my tumours were HER2 positive and therefore I need Herceptin, which automatically means chemo. 6 cycles plus a Herceptin jab every 3 weeks for a year.

They also told me that they were oestrogen positive so that is hormone treatment for ten years. At my appt on Tuesday I was told I would need radiotherapy too - as surgeon said 'throwing everything at it that has evidence of effectiveness'. My little ray of sunshine was that only 2/26 of the lymph nodes removed showed cancer cells. 

They aren't  kidding when they say this disease is life changing. So much to come to terms with. Sorry I can't give you any advice or comfort. I made the decision to focus on living and trust the great NHS to provide me with world class treatment so am going to take whatever they recommend and hope I find the inner strength to endure it. I so want to be here to retire to the country and see my children grow up. 

Hope it works out for you. 

debscoops

2 weeks post op 'WLE & SLNB'- next steps scared

Hi, had 1.8mm lobular cancer removed on 31 May I thought I would only need radiotherapy, but after my post op meeting with consultant today -I was told I may need chemo, the tumour has been sent to America to see if the tumour is oestroegen fed if the result comes back positive then I will need chemo,  I had been prepared for just radiotherapy, she tried to be positive and say this was unlikely but this has really upset me and my is head all over the place again I now have to wait two weeks for the results.  Is there anyone else who has been in this situation.  D