cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 years on and this class from 2010 are all still here

Shelley61

Re: 2 years on and this class from 2010 are all still here

Hello there Ladies,

Awhhh, I'm a 2010 person as well, although mine was later that year too, like ChoccieMuffin. Came on here just now, as I have annual clinic check up tomorrow, and found this lovely thread! I'm doing fine, and really appreciated all the support I got on here. There were others from 2010 that haven't posted on this thread yet, but I'm thinking of them - Deed, Welsh Girl..... wish I could remember others as well. But, a special hello to Choccie Muffin, Saffronseed and Cackles - I shared many onine posts with you - hello to Welshgirl and Deed if they do come on this post.

Susiex, I use a wash scrunchie inside my swimwear - my remaining boob is only small (like it's left sided friend who had bc), so I buy the small size ones - you know the net pom pom balls that you can wash yourself with in the shower/bath, well they're what I'm meaning. They're great to put inside your swimwear as a replacement boob, and cos they're designed for using in water, the water automatically ccomes out of them as you get out of the pool/sea, unlike the foam ones which you have to surreptitiously squeeze a bit.

I have quite a few of them, n pop them inside each item of swimwear, then they're ready to use, and I dont have to mess about taking them out of one garment into another. They're really cheap, and you can easily cut them down to size if they're too big.

Love to Everyone,
Shelley xxx

dee49

Ps no profile photo as can't upload - one for the mods I think....

Edited: Tuesday 09/10/12 9:45pm
Now sorted.... Thank you mods!

Quail

Shoot, Keyfeatures, I do know the difference, and was just being woolly-minded. I'm a reader, rather than a doer, so I poured over those dammed leaflets that the breast care nurses and macmillan people keep giving me. I must have read the healthy eating one a million times, and it still hasn't made a BIT of difference, and despite the Lymphoedema booklet, I missed my lymphoedema till my arm ballooned like an elephant. But I'm aware that there is a considerable difference in prognosis between primary and secondary bc, so my apologies for being one of those people who babble on as if they know what they are talking about while those of you who are living the life are quietly grimacing or wincing.
Also, I am so in agreement about the militaristic vocabulary that is all to often used about cancer. Maybe my docs are "fighting" a battle here, but I certainly am not. And a pink battle at that. Yuk. Anyway, all too often I feel more like the battlefield than one of the combatants.

keyfeatures

Well said Quail. Secondary breast cancer is a sad reality but it shouldn't be treated as if it is a shameful reality. I prefer to see this disease as a journey rather than a 'fight' to be won or lost. It's really not like that.
However, there is a difference between a local recurrence (which is still considered a primary cancer) and having secondary cancer - and I'm not sure many people realise that.
foxyferret

Quail - I think your post was beautifully said,and I would echo everything you've put.
I am a primary lady and my family will not allow me talk in any negative way but I am living with the fear of what if? My daughter too gets angry with me.

Your post says it all for me and much more eloquently that I could have done.
Quail

I've been thinking about your post all day Taxi53, and I'm so glad you spoke up. I've been reading about secondary breast cancer awareness day, and also reading articles (like the recent one in the Guardian) about "life after breast cancer", and I think that it is as important for us to hear from you as it is for us to hear about your friends who haven't had a recurrence.
Part of the problem for so many of us is that the prevailing wisdom, the "story" if you will, is that you "move on" from breast cancer. You have the treatment, they cure you and hey, presto, you get on with things. The reality is so much different, and part of the reason we understand that is because we are hearing from our secondary sisters. Sometimes I feel as if a recurrence is seen in the world at large as some sort of failure. It is certainly an uncomfortable thought for our friends, family and acquaintances who want us to be "fine". My sister gets angry if I express any sort of fear--she says she knows so many women who are fine now. And, I know it is also difficult for my husband whose life was so disrupted this past year, and who now wants to move on himself. But I remember SCACO and Potmaid, as well as Jenni Murray (!) and, for that matter, your BCC friends. I see Val playing word games in "Chit Chat", and Lucy giving me great advice while I was struggling with chemo. The truth is really so much more complicated and, in some respects, more awesome and inspiring than prevailing story we are fed. As survivors, we are living with fear and with side effects, with tingling feet, hot flushes and radiotherapy-related arthritis, with unknown aches and pains and with depression, sometimes we are living with recurrance; but we are also climbing mountains, and eating chocolate and supporting our friends and families, we are living with cancer.
The best reason for us all to support the BCC secondary bc day is that an acceptance of the reality of secondary cancer may be the first step towards getting on with living with cancer as part of our lives.
I know I haven't said this very well, but I hope that you at least understand that your post encouraged me as much as those of the others. How amazing that you've all forged such a lovely bond. It's good to see. All the best to all of you.
Kathy

sandra4

So pleased you ladies are getting some 'hope' from Maria's post!

Anne (Taxi73) yes one of our lovely ladies has had a recurrence. And we are all hoping with all our hearts that the treatment will stamp those cancer cells out!
Glad you posted Anne, l know you worry about bringing people down with your recurrence, be we are all so aware it can happen to any of us at any time.

xxx

Sameelee3

Hi, Maria,
A great thread here, full of inspiration and hope, so congratulations. Like Southpool, I'm an April Bunny and am also looking forward to our meet in a few weeks;all thefriends on our thread have been wonderfully supportive throughout. It is lovely that you have continued to keep in touch and a life- affirming testament to the power of on line communities!
Love and best wishes to you all,
Sameelee3

keyfeatures

What a lovely thread. Whatever our individual journeys are with breast cancer, it is good to know that we don't have to be alone.
taxi73

I'm also from the class of 2010 and it's great to have the support and friendship of the whole group.Unfortunately,I have recurrence but my buddies are there to see me through it.I hesitated to post this on here but decided to anyway to support Maria

catsmother21

Maria - thank you so much for the good luck wishes xx

Sandra - thank you so much for the good luck wishes and if I do have to make the journey, I feel like this is going to be a wonderful place for help and support and, hopefully, to make some friends along the way. xx

tors

Hi, I'm another of maria's class of 2010. I was 36 at dx so the youngest on the embarking thread, but I was very well looked after by all the ladies and they are my very special Facebook buddies now. I had two sons aged 4 and 2, they are now 5 and 7, and we are happy. X

Aeani

Wow ladies you are an inspiration!!!
Im only 8 wks diagnosed. had DCIS and IDC . Had mx on 25/9 awaiting reports this week, to find my next step in this journey.
Just reading all your comments made me smile and cry. I don't think anyone realises how important words really can be and how many people a caring thought can touch.
ANNIE X
marial

Thankyou Danjo and Sandra4 and Dee49, I wonder how many boobs we have between us, maybe we ought to count and sent a £ for each one (lol)
Southpool it sounds like you have the right attitude, no strap marks, yes you are right. I too live breast free ( mastecomies in 2003 and 2010) and have a little cleavage, I think it is due some having some fat around !!
Chocciemuffin, Nice to hear from. I still get hot flushes, they started in 2003 with tamoxyfen, but I just think, great not enough oestogen to start bc again !! You'll see, you will think less about it soon, now your treatment has finshed.
£28, and counting
Maria xx
danjo

Maria, hope you've got plenty of cash stashed! I'm another one of the infamous 18 embarking ladies. I may have lost a boob but I have gained 17 lovely friends who have always been there for me. I do sometimes have the odd scary thought but mostly BC is now firmly at the back of my mind. I will never regret my decision to join the BCC forums, there is always someone who can answer any questions. I swim regularly and have an Ameona swim prosthesis. I tried my stick on boob but it came unstuck!

Carol x

sandra4

Gosh another of the class of 2010 here!! Present and almost correct, Maria!
To be honest BCC brings back some terrible memories for me! But also it has brought some very special ladies into my life that will remain friends forever
Without them it would have made this breast cancer journey very hard to cope with.

When l was diagnosed bc it was in my head 24/7 when l spoke to ladies on bcc they kept telling me it would get easier, but never thought that was possible but it was!! And while l am aware of aches and pains, l enjoy life again! As well as meet these lovely ladies as much as we can!

Having been diagnosed with lots of positive nodes was a big worry! But now l know lots of ladies with positive nodes that are still enjoying their life 20+ years on.
BCC was a very big help, must have driven them mad with my questions! They also put me in touch with a lady that had similar diagnosis to myself and she was 20 years on! So that gave me hope!!
I had a diep done on the 1st August, absolutely thrilled with my new breast and cleavage! Cannot wait to get the uplift and nipple done, which should be Feb/March!

Suziex Hope you have a lovely holiday! I am sure lots of ladies will give you advice on whats best for mx and swimwear! I had to wait a year for my reconstruction, so if you are thinking about it, get your name down!! You can always take if off again!

Cats, Good Luck with your appointment next Thursday, just thinking back to those days brings back some horrid memories, but if you need to make this journey, l hope you find some good friends on BCC to help you along, we had many laughs along with the tears.

Hi Revcat, So pleased you are doing so well, glad l never got into your group! You might have made me climb Ben Nevis with you. At least Maria lets us enjoy days out in London…….
Brilliant that you have raised so much money.

Lilac, another 2010 lady! Good to hear you are living your life to the full, well done!
Joan, well done on finishing active treatment, now what has Birmingham done for you all to invade it!! We are also meeting in Birmingham in November!! German Market and Slug and Lettuce here we come………….

Di, Chascat, Maria67, Quail, Katytc, Southpool and Cackles, Good luck to you, and stay healthy!

Seriously hope this brings some hope to you newbies, we all know the fear and worry you are going through, and easy to say ‘you will get there’ when you are going through so much worry, Try and find a good ‘group’ of friends to share this awful time, it really does make the ‘journey’ so much easier!
xxx

southpool

Suzie my swim Prothesis was from womanzone, same size as my normal one & was great. Just rinsed at end of the day.

Sx

ChoccieMuffin

Maria, what a lovely post. It's so necessary to get the reminder that so many of us DO get through it and out the other side. News of friends who don't get through shocks us to the core, so hearing about a big group who are all still kicking and screaming and shocking the neighbours is a real boost. Thank you.

I was diagnosed late 2010 and have only recently finished Herceptin so still fresh to the whole cancer treatment thing, and still waiting for the day when cancer doesn't come to my mind with every hot flush.

dee49

I'm one of the 18 too! And yes we have come a long way! It's been a long and often bumpy road not without it's tears I might add, but there's been lots - in fact tons of laughter too!!
We did it by supporting each other, holding hands and sending lots of cyber hugs - Oh and must not forget the odd kick up the backside when needed!!!

I've had three holidays since finishing treatment (chemo, rads & mx), have returned to work and have hair again! Oh and met these ladies for real!
Gosh Maria that lady asking for a pint of what we were on!! We all burst out laughing shaking our heads saying "Nooooooo" didn't we! And for the record all we were "on" was laughter with not a drop of alcohol in sight.... ;0)

I had a tummy recon in March this year and I'm delighted with the results! I felt great on the beach this summer not having to worry about 'that gap' so anybody thinking about recon I would say yes! But as Maria has said we are all different so it is a very personal decision.

Suzie, try M&S for swimsuits, I got three from there and they were reasonably priced too. I could swim in my prosthesis, just had to make sure it was washed and rinsed properly afterwards. I still took my softie with me though 'just in case'.

So thank you Maria for inviting us along..... My journey would have been a lot more difficult without you all - and not forgetting BCC of course!

And I wish all you other ladies well, and for any 'newbies' out there I hope this thread will give you some hope for the days and months ahead......

"Nell" xxx

Suziex

Hi Southpool
Thank for your response to swim wear I will go on the net and look for AllAbout the girl I think I have noticed this site before.
i am really pleased you had a good holiday it is nice to hear from someone you has had a mx and moved on. I am in the same mind set as you if I can manage on this holiday I think it will make my mind up not to have a mx. Where did you purchase your ABC prosthesis from?

Suziex

southpool

Thanks for tge post Maria it was a real tonic. I am on the April chemo thread & we are meeting up at the end of this month. I don't know how I would have got through my chemo without the support of my fellow April bunnies. I'm sure the meet up will be a joyous & emotional event!

Suzie I have just returned from a holiday abroad after my mx in April so I have road tested successfully a couple of bikinis, a swimsuit & two types of swim prothesis. So here goes:

A sea folly goddess bikini from All about the girl was fabulous for sunbathing as the top was quite narrow & unclipped at the back. Just because I've had a mx doesn't mean I want strap marks! I also got a swim beanie with it, which was really light and gave me good shape. I actually swam it in with no pockets & was absolutely fine.

A custom made bikini from Womenzone was fabulous for swimming I swam in the sea, pool & even jumped off the side of a boat and it never moved. I used an ABC swim prothesis with it which is clear silicon with a hollow back and it was great. Women zone was great & i also bought a swimming costume from them, I am tall so they had long costumes which was fab. They need 28 days notice to custom make but you can also buy off the peg.

I am a c cup & my clever surgeon has left me a little cleavage so don't know if that helps, but I never felt any different in my bikinis or swimsuit to before my mx and it helped reinforce my view that I am not going to bother with a reconstruction.

Hope that helps
S x

marial

Saffronseed, Heather, Izzypal and Jackwagstaff, Thanks for coming on to support my thread, weird going back to your forum names We have come a long way since those difficult times.
Suziex, I also got a swim suit form Nicola jane, but usualy use my favorite swim suit into which i sewed a couple of pockets and use sponge boobs. Have a great holiday
Catsmother, good luck on Thursday
Revcat, Ben Nevis, wow, well done. I'm a bit too lazy for that.
Lilac, I'm glad you are back on track
Patchit, Chascat, Marie67, I did notice that your thread had a lot of posts, a lot more than we had on ours I think. During one of our meet-ups, we must have been having a lot of fun and making a lot of noise, cos one lady who noticed us, said "Wow what ever you lot are on, I'll have some of that" Ha ha, if only she knew....
Quail, there are always dark days, but they usualy become less and less
Katytc & Cackles, you don't say where you are on your journey, but all the best.
If this post has given just a little bit of hope to someone, then that's great. Take care of yourselves.
£19 so far, Maria
Cackles

A super posting .....just what the newly diagnosed need.
Thank you.

jackwagstaff

Hello ladies . I´m also one of Maria´s "Embarking " ladies . We all went through so much together that first year , despair , worry , fright , insecurities ....................you name it , we all suffered it . Yet we all received so much love and support to push us and pull us out of dreaded depths .Always we had each others support and the invaluable support of the BCC nurses , there on the other end of the telephone .I live in Spain and at times felt very vunerable but I knew I could count on Maria and the other girls to drag me back kicking and screaming into normality . Or as "normal " as I´ll ever be .
We have formed friendships that will never end and to meet the ladies you have "spoken " to most days for a couple of years was such a highlight of this year for me , and I loved them all as much in "real life " as I thought I did in our vitual world . It definately was a meeting of friends , and to join in Izzy´s wedding celebrations ie hen party was a joy . I don´t think the S&L will ever be the same again !! I think they might have expected a sedate group of ladies .....................that is definately not what they got .
Good luck to all going through treatment now , and to Patchit and your group have a wonderful time when you meet up in November .xx

Marie_67

Maria, what a lovely post, I like chascat and Joan am from the March 2012 chemo thread, through that I have met some amazing people who will be friends for life, am looking forward to our meet up in Nov. X

Quail

Oh Maria, you and your wonderful friends have made me cry. What a lovely story.
I'm like RevCat in that I didn't start posting much till after treatment, when I needed to talk to people who got that I can't just "move on". But this forum has been a lifeline since day one--the best thing Google ever brought me! There is so much awful about this cr*p disease. I'm one year on--and on a bad day still scared witless. But twelve months ago I never (literally) thought I would be able to make it; the friendship and solidarity of the woman on this site really have made a difference in my life.
Thanks for your £1 per message donation--what a nice idea (and so much easier, RevCat, then climbing a MOUNTAIN!!!). I'll match you.
x

chascat

What a lovely post Maria, like Joan, I too am from the March 2012 chemo thread and have made friends for life on this forum. I am very anxious about the future and fear the "what ifs" as we all do but your post is inspirational x

dib

Lovely post Maria,i was diagnosed in 2010 too,have had double mx and later this month will have nipple tattooing,After that im discharged and will have yearly checkups.Yes we will all have fears of a return but we will get on with our lives the best we can and enjoy life all the more because of what we have been through.I will continue to use this site as an inspiration.There are some wonderful ladies on here,and some sadly not with us any more,and some still going through treatments.Good luck and best wishes to all,
Di.x

katytc

Lovely thread, wonderful to hear about your support, care etc for each other and continuing friendships, very best wishes to you all xx

Patchit

Maria

Thank you for posting such a lovely, positive thread. Its great that you ladies have stayed in touch and continue to be involved in each other's lives. I belong to the 'Chemo in March 2012' thread. Most of us have finished active treatment, except 2 or 3 who are still having rads. We are all meeting up in November for a weekend in Birmingham, there will be about 20 of us. Its a really positive thing to come out of bc, I count it as a blessing to have met and formed friendships with the other ladies on our thread.

wishing everyone of our ladies good health

Joan xxx

izzypal

Hello, I'm another one of the 18 ladies who have been together now for the last 2 years, since my dx of breast cancer. These people have become very special friends to me and have helped me through to where I am today. I have had big changes since we all got together and I speak to all of my special friends on a daily basis, we support eachother in a way that noone else can. We all know what we have been through and we have often shared problems with eachother in a way that we could not share even with our nearest and dearest. We have met up now on several occasions, the last of which was the best hen party I could ever have wished for!!! I recently got married as Maria mentioned, this is something I could never have imagined when I and my husband had the news of my bc 2years ago, how much life has moved on since that day. I am so pleased that I replied to Maria's first post, she is such a lovely friend along with all of my other special friends, they will always be so special to me xxx

Lilac

Another 2010 person. I was 2/3 way through my PGCE when I was diagnosed in May of that year. I got back to it again once I'd finished Herceptin in March this year and have just started my last teaching practice. For such a long time, cancer was all I thought about and I found it hard to imagine getting past that. But I have, and am living life to the full again.
Lilac x

heather26

Hi Maria, I am one of the 2010, and in 2010 I was scared and didn't know what was happening to me but with the help of a group of ladies I am getting through it. We have had some tears but plenty of laughs and through one of the worst things that have happened to me in my life a fantastic thing happened I met 17 fantastic ladies I am proud to call my friends. We are still going through treatment and checks, and like Saffron said we are all scared it will return, but if it does I know I will have the support of 17 wonderful ladies.
I know if ever I need any of these ladies they will be there for me, so thankyou Maria for starting our wonderful embarking thread.
Heather xxxxxx
RevCat

What a lovely post Marial. I'm a 2010 person too... did not join the forums until 2011 when I ended active treatment and was looking for people who 'got' my world. In real life I meet up with a group in Glasgow who are between newly diagnosed and a little over five years since. We experience life in all its fullness too. As many know, via the Dark Dark Woods and Benchland threads, I climbed Ben Nevis for BCC to mark my two years since daignosis - and have raised more than £1600 for this great cause. This time two years ago I was scared, bald and bloated as I went through neoadjuvant chemo; now I am happy, have luscious wavy hair and, if a little more overweight, generally in good health with a recent clear mammo and NED status.
saffronseed

Hi Suzie, I had went on holiday abroad twice prior to my reconstruction. I was apprehensive about swimming etc both in the sea and in the pool as I was sure that everyone would notice my prothesis or it may slip out etc etc. I bought two swimming constumes from Nicola Jane that were flattering and held my prothesis very securely and you couldn't see it it at all even when I lent forward. I bought a spongy prothesis with a weight in for the pool/sea and it was fine and sat nicely in my cozzy - I was able to paddle, swim and do everything I did before. I kept my best prothesis for evening and wore that whilst I washed out my spongy one and let it dry overnight. You are right though you need to live your life and carry on as normally as you can see how you get on it it will help you decide whether you feel you need to go for a reconstruction in the future. x

catsmother21

Hi Maria

What a lovely and positive post to read.

I have just come back to the forum after finding a lump, last time I was here I was dx-ed with Duct Ectasia and needed no further treatment. It's a different story this time with having a lump and my appt at the breast clinic is next thurs.

Thank you so much for posting this as it gives me hope that if it is something serious then it doesn't have to be the end of the world.

Well done to all of you for achieving so much and for being so brave.

Cats xxxx

heather26

Hi Maria I found you, I am one of the ladies in group of 2010 and I can vouch for everything Maria as said. Maria started our thread 2 years ago and 18 scared ladies who didn't know what was happening to them joined the thread. We have been through ups and downs but were all still here. I have found through having breast cancer I have met 17 ladies who I am proud to call my friends, so there are some positives if you look for them.So yes breast cancer is a terrible thing to happen but were here to say you can get through with a little help from your friends.
Thank you Maria for our fantastic thread.
Heather xxxxxxxx
saffronseed

I just wanted to echo what Maria has said as I am one of the class of 2010 'embarking ladies'. When I was diagnosed in 2010 I really thought the 'worst', I couldn't stop crying and I really felt I wouldn't be able to get through it all. We all have had different experiences with our diagnosis but we do have the one thing in common that we have breast cancer and have had (and are still having) extensive treatment but have been able to get on with our lives. The worry that breast cancer may return may always be at the back of your mind but it is at the 'back' and no longer the first thing I think about in the morning or the last thing I think about before going to bed. I have met some fantastic ladies through this site and shared sadness, good news, good results and sometimes less positive results. it is reassuring to know that whatever happens in the future I will always have the support of the others, wise words, thoughts and kindness that comes through. Thanks to Maria for starting our 'thread' and thanks to all the class of 2010. x

Suziex

I am also just two years down the line just has my 2nd mammogram and my two year check. Just booked my first abroad holiday after my mx I think I am now ready to have a abroad holiday again. I haven,t had a reconstruction so I am a bit anxious about wear a bikini again will see how it goes this might make my decision about reconstruction. I would like to hear from anyone who has been on holiday after mx and how they managed and what type of pros they used for swimming I heard that some are better than others. Just finally I like two say there is hope and life after BC.

Suziex
xx

marial

2 years on and this class from 2010 are all still here

A good news story for October.
We are a group of 18 ladies who met on the forums in 2010, as we embarked on our new lives with bc. Some of us had lumpectomies (sometimes 2 or 3) some had mastectomies, some of us are triple negative and some of us are on hormone treatment, all of us had chemo or rads or both. It was a bumpy ride for us all. We have now met up with each other and continue to support each other, and wanted to let people know that there is usually light at the end of the tunnel. A lot of people more on from the forums once their treatment is over, (I think most of us have) so this is to gives newbies hope.
We have someone in our group who got engaged, another who got married, someone who has met a new man, as well as people who have had new grandkids, or seen their child start school, university, or go to work abroad. We have people who have been on holidays overseas, one who have done a university diploma, some who have returned to work or retired. A couple of us have moved house. And all since bc. Some have had reconstructions, others live breast free.

We still get scared when we are waiting for test results, and we don’t always get the results we want, but we are all still here 2 years on.

Please comment or bump up my post during the month of October to keep it near the top so newbies can see a positive message during the bc month. I am promising to donate £1 for every comment during the month of October.

All the best to you all, Maria xx