21, new and scared :-(

6 REPLIES 6
polly_1

Re: 21, new and scared :-(

Hi Kerry, have sent you a message hun x
Little_Nicky

Hi Kerry
Easy to say, really hard to do - but try not to worry! Remember it may turn out to be nothing. If it is breast cancer you will find a way through, for me taking one step at a time worked. I have just finished my treatments and can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Black humour and laughing in the face of adversity was my strength, but I arranged a night out with friends and explained to them what was happening to me so they would understand if I wasn't myself and would be in touch with support when I needed it. I asked my mates to text me so that I could reply when I was having a good day and told them not to be offended if I didn't reply straight away, this worked really well throughout my treatment. We all realised too that each of us around the table had been affected in some way by cancer and this made me feel less alone.
Take care of you, this is your time to do things that please you, put yourself first.
Hope it turns out to be nothing, but we are all here for you if not.
Big hugs
Little Nicky xx
kerry_2

Hi Girls 🙂

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Its reassuring to hear that someone has been though the same thing Polly - what did your lumps feel like if you don't mind me asking and how big were they? Painful? etc. Thanks.

I've been watching a lot of tv and have done all of my university work ahead of schedule Nicola!

Best wishes,
Kerry
moorcow

Hey Kerry, well done for getting it checked out , its so tricky waiting for the appointments but its great to get it checked. We all got through the waiting in our own sweet ways - distraction worked for me - work, films, books, alcohol.....very best of luck, Nicola

polly_1

Hi Kerry, it's such a worry when you find a lump and the waiting is so difficult between appointments.
Your doing the right thing by getting it checked right away and I hope it's good news for you.
I've had 2 fibroadenomas in the past. One when I was 18 and the other at 27. I was told at both appointments that they were fairly sure that's what they were and biopsies confirmed this. I remember the consultant saying they are more common in younger women.
It may help to tell your family or a friend as it really helps to be able to talk to someone and they can be a great support.
Sending you big hugs XX
Janet_BCC

Dear Kerry

Welcome to the BCC Forum but I'm sorry you have had to join us,

While you are waiting for other members to come along and offer support I thought I would also remind you of our helpline. You can aways give them a ring to talk things over and they can offer lots of information and support. The opening hours are 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000 and calls are free and confidential.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

kerry_2

21, new and scared :-(

Hi everyone,
I found a lump on my right breast last friday and have an appoitment with my doctor next tuesday (4th). I hate the waiting - how does everyone else cope?! Even after waiting for the doctors appointment I know I'll have to wait for a breast clinic appointment and then the results... its awful.
Anyway, I'm 21 and the lump is a little bit smaller than a pea and its on the lower outer area. Its also quite deep I think as I can only feel it when lying down (luckily I was too lazy to get out of bed when checking myself!). Anyone been in a simalar situation?
I know 21 is pretty young so I'm hoping its fibroadenoma which is the most common form of lump in younger women. It also says they are a rubbery texture and I'd say mine feels like that. It's not soft but firm but its not rock hard. You cna also move it a bit.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. You're the first people I've told as I don't want to worry my family unneceassarily. You can have a biopsy on your own right?
Thanks 🙂
Kerry