cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 years old been referred to breast clinic so worried

5 REPLIES 5
confuseddotcom

Re: 21 years old been referred to breast clinic so worried

Hello MummyMandi.  Huge congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful little girl.

My little girl is nearly 19 now but after having her I quite quickly became very lumpy in one breast and started to pass blood in my milk.  I was checked out by HV and GP and it was a nasty case of mastitis which took several weeks to clear up with meds.  When our daughter was one I was still lumpy and referred for mammogram which turned out to be quite painful but completely harmless cysts.

I can't remember if there was swelling in my armpit and I'm not medical at all but the first thing I thought was that the fact that the swelling was coming and going rather than constant sounds positive, that your strong young body is doing what it does well and trying hard to fight off an infection.

You've done exactly the right thing, you're in the hands of experts now.  So, focus on your lovely little girl and try, try, try not to worry overyly (I know you will!).  It can help to try to remember that the overwhelming majority of frightening breast problems turn out to be completely harmless.

Lots of love to you and your little family.

MelMc68

Mel, even!!! Getting my own name wrong!!!
MelMc68

Hi MummyMandy,

LouLou is right. Breast cancer is very unlikely given your age. The fact that you've just had a baby is far more likely to be linked to your issue. You may have blocked milk ducts or mastitis, or something similar.

Your doctor has done the right thing in referring you,but please don't worry yourself too much. I'm really confident all will be fine for you

Enjoy your beautiful little girl and try not to stress while you wait for your appointment. Best of luck, Mrl. X
Lucy_BCC

Hi Mummymandi and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you have his worry, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional,support for you on 0808 800 6000 lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 so please feel free to call to talk your concerns over

The following link will take you to the BCC 'Worried about breast cancer' information page where you will find a publication about what to expect at your breast clinic appointment:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/worried?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=promo&%3Butm_c...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Lulu34

I havent had any similar experience to yours but just wanted to say breast cancer at your age is incredibly rare and after just giving birth would imagine its more like to be hormonal but its really good your gp is referring you to the experts to get it checked out.

And congratulations on the birth of your daughter xx
MummyMandi

21 years old been referred to breast clinic so worried

hi everyone im so sorry to trouble you like this but im so worried i know you all have worrys too right now and i will read through your questions and worrys to and try and help in anyway i can too. well basically i give birth 9 weeks ago, to my amazing baby girl. im only 21 but 4 weeks after she was born i had what felt like a swollen gland in my arm pit this took me by suprise so i got worried and thought i best examine my chest and i did and found a lump the doctor said to take antibiotics and come back i did and the lump is still there and the doctor said because the lump is growing in your breast we need to refer you for tests . the lump under my arms still there too but think its a swollen lymph node that keeps swelling then going down. my question is did anyone get any lumps or anything like this after giving birth? the doctor doesnt seem to think its anything to do with having a baby recently. im worried. should i be? has anyone had any simular? thank you ever so much good bless and peace and love XxXxXxX