23 years old...Surely I'm too young!

Hello everyone,

I have been reading through this great forum and thought I would join in.
I had pain in my left breast about four weeks ago and left it thinking it was hormones.
Two weeks later I feel a painful lump but I was on holiday and couldn’t do anything about it.

I went to my doctors on Monday and he has gave me an urgent referral to the breast clinic.
It’s now Friday and I am growing more and more anxious as I still haven’t got my appointment through!

Anyone else had urgent referrals? How long should I expect to wait.

My mind is now going into over drive and I’m thinking… If it is anything bad the longer I wait the more chance I have of it spreading.

I just want answers now.

I am not telling friends or family incase I worry them and it’s nothing.
The only person who knows is my fiance who works away on ships.
He is away at the moment so feeling quite emotional and alone this week.

Any advice would be much appreciated x

Hello Eilidanne

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you.  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

You can also talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open again in the morning and normal hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hello,

I’m on here for my Mum but I really wanted to reply to your post.
I’m sure it is unlikely to be some thing at your age and the doctor just wants to check because they like to be safe but I can understand how worrying it must be for you. There is many other things it could be and at your age it is much more likely to be one of those.
I know you don’t want to worry people but you need to think of yourself aswell. You need some one to talk to and to be there for you, especially as your fiancee is away.
Feel free to message me xx

Please make sure you get all the tests and don’t let them send you away saying you just have lumpy breasts. My 23 year old was diagnosed today . This horrible disease does happen to young women and don’t let them fob you off because of your young age x

Thank you.

Still no appointment through so i’m going to phone on Monday.
Wether is it is something or nothing I just want to know, it is the waiting that is killing me!

I’m sorry to hear about your daughters diagnosis chris24, I am actually a staff nurse so there is no way I will be leaving that appoitment without having the proper checks.
How are you all coping?

Thank you bumblegirl, it is nice to talk. I went for dinner last night with a friend and told her.
Instead of going to the appointment on my own she is going to go with me…Whenever that may be!

Thank you for your replies xx

I do hope you get your appointment soon. My daughter got her appointment letter about one week after referral and then the date was a week later.
We are very up and down at the moment. She is an extremely strong person so I’m hoping with support from family and friends will help carry get through this.
Hopefully you will get yours through soon.
Take care,
Chris

I had the same thing, altho I’m 43 (still classed as young by consultant…bonus lol)
Had a wk away on holiday with a stinking cold, wk or so after returning, my left breast began to ache, so I checked it, found a lump straight away…left it 2 wks coz thought might be connected to the stinking cold…2 wks later still there…off to GP & she found it straight away too, waited a wk then off to hospital, had a needle biopsy, mamagram & scan, consultant again, not enough info but worried about what m & scan found…waiting a core biopsy nxt wk!! I have pain I’m my left breast & under my arm, now consultant said that showed up fine & 50% of women he see’s have breast pain without anything being wrong, my friend has really lump breasts!!
But like most of us on here we are all playing the waiting game & struggling to cope, fingers crossed for you luv, I’ve only been on here a few days but had a lot of support, keep us up to date on how you get on, glad you have spoken to ur friend & she’s going with you xxx

Feel like I’m slowly going mad!!! Have I? Haven’t i? Look awful, black circles under my eyes, but I am sleeping, I’m so tired…all the time, it’s the only time I can’t think about it!! Staff & customers have noticed the change in me, everyone’s asking me if I’m ok!!!
Have my core biopsy on thurs but then still no answers, still more waiting, all everyone’s talking about is Christmas!!! Jeeez I couldn’t care less right now!!! Have you heard anything yet luv?? xxx

I also have breast pain in the breast with the lump, consultant advised me to use Iburofern gel on my breast, it does help, maybe this could help you along with tablets xxx

Yes, the thing is i feel as if im hiding the problem by taking painkillers instead of getting it sorted (Although i know it is out of my hands now).
Im the same as you, feel like im going mad, people seeing a change.
Had to tell my manager, I’m a nurse in a ward and I made a mistake.
I had to sort it out and then burst into tears.
Didnt sleep a wink last night, was reading thread after thread on this.

The thing is I’ve come to terms with having something horrible, the thing im finding hard is the thought of being a bald bride! (Im getting married in May, alot of work and money has went into this one day and I dont want it ruined)!
I am also wanting to start a family in 2014.

I feel like I have all of these life plans and all of a sudden my life has changed and I dont even have a diagnosis! This is just mad.

I phoned today and the consultant has been on holiday so first available appointment is the 19th Dec.
TEN DAYS. 

Thank you for the nice message SJB.
Boxerbaby2 Thursday isnt so far away now but I know time is going so slowly.
And I feel the same about christmas, and the wedding…Its all a bit too much.
Lets hope our christmas presents this year are good results :slight_smile: xx