25 year old male. Lump in armpit

Hi I’m a 25 year old male and 2 weeks ago I noticed a pea sized lump in the middle of my armpit. It was painful and red so I assumed it was a boil and didn’t take to much notice. The lump is still there but now it is painless and rock hard, it doesn’t move and feels attatched to the tissue in my armpit. I haven’t had any feelings of being ill. Could this be a sign of cancer?

Hi nareik

Welcome to the BCC forums, I am sorry to read that you have this worry, please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through your concerns on 0808 800 6000 lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Here’s a link to the BCC ‘Beast cancer in men’. Information pages which I hope you will find helpful in the meantime:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/men-breast-cancer

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Nareik.

The lump sounds like it could be a cyst.  But I would get it looked at. Sometimes they go away but others need antantibiotics.   

Keeks

Hi nareik,

I agree with keeks, get it checked out. I don’t know how receptive GPs are to referring men to the breast clinic, but that’s where you need to go - even if it is a cyst.  It might also be worth posting in this thread:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Men/bd-p/4450

as any men going through this experience are more likely to read the posts on here and reply. Good luck, please come back and let us know how you got on.

poemsgalore 

Hi Nareik,just out of interest do you work out or drink protein shakes? I ask because my son had the same but behind his nipple.It turned out to be fine and was a result of the protein drinks which they said they see alot of in men. Of course please still get it checked out by a Dr but it could be many things other than cancer.

Thankyou everyone for the replies and the links. The links are informative and I will post in the mens section. I was under the impression that cysts move a little when you touch them but the lump will not move at all. Debs, no I do not work out or drink protein shakes, I will visit the doctor tomorrow. Maybe I’m overreacting as I know its extremely rare in men my age but its best for me to get checked out.