28 newly diagnosed

So yesterday I found out I have breast cancer, not something I was expecting at the age of 28. You might have read my previous post in ‘waiting for results’ I feel better knowing what I have to face in the future. I guess I’m just looking for advice about the practical things, I’ve just moved back home with my parents (something which seems amazing timing given the circumstances) but I have started a new job about a month and a half ago. I’m wondering how all the treatment will affect my job and whether I’ll be well enough to work full time, I would appreciate some advice from people who’ve had chemo and how they’ve delbt with their jobs and what to do.

Dear withthefairies

I am sorry to hear of your news and I thought the link below may be of some help to you. It gives suggestions on various publications and services that many younger women find helpful. Also our helpline would be able to help with any practical information or support. It is a freephone number 0808 800 6000 and is open Monday to Friday 9-5 and Saturday 10-2.

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_campaign=younger_women

I am sure you will be getting lots of help and support from our forum users.

with all best wishes

Anna

Hi there,

Well it really depends on your job, and how you are feeling. My sister in law found she could work right through her treatment. She had 2-3 weeks off to recover from her surgery, I believe, and then on chemo, she had a few days off after each treatment. She has an office job in an HR position, and her employers were very accommodating. She could really go in and go home depending on how she felt, and they kept her on full pay! Some days she could work from home.

I work in healthcare as a visiting physiotherapist, and I was really anxious because I have to make appointments to see clients, and I didn’t think I could consistently be there as I needed to, physically or mentally, so I was very relieved when the oncologist strongly advised me not to even think about it, and promptly signed me off for the year!

On the other hand, many people find solace in the normality of the workplace, and I personally have had far too much time on my own with my thoughts, focussing on cancer, and posting on this website! It’s time for me to put this down and go do something else!!! :wink:

Hello WiththeFairies
So very sorry you have had to join this club no one wants to join. I am one of the annoying wotsits who worked all through treatment… neoadjuvant chemo (i.e. before surgery), surgery (a few weeks off as was mastectomy and immeidate reconstruction) and radiotherapy… we do exist, not everyone has a terrible time, but alas you won’t know until you start treatment how it will affect you.

During chemo you have to be careful with infection risks, so the type of work you do will determine whether or not you can continue to work, even if you are really well. Your employer should make ‘reasonable adjustments’ for you such as flexible hours, time off for appointments etc. so it is worth talking with them once you know what you plan is in detail.

I was 47 at diagnosis - so ancient compared to you - but still always the youngest person at the clinic, so I know it can be a lonely experience even if the older ladies are lovely. There is an excellent younger womens network who chat on Facebook, and if you contact the forum member called Tors she will be able to direct you to it if you can’t find it.

You will get through this, and there will be lots of poe-ple here to support you. Best wishes for the road ahead.

Thanks for the advice, my new job is sitting down all day advising people on the telephone in a way I’m glad I changed jobs my old job was in retail and I was on my feet all day, talking to people face to face at least now I’ll have some distance and won’t worry so much how I appear. I’m going to go into work tomorrow in an attempt to get back to some kind of normality, I’ll have to talk to my manager. I’m still on probation and will be until september so I’ve no idea where I stand, I know I won’t get any paid sick leave so it’s a very good thing I moved home and cut my overheads to near nothing. I know it sounds superficial but I’m more worried about that fact that people will be able to look at me and know that somethings wrong than some of the over issues. It’s not something I can hide from others or myself for very long

Hi with the fairies, I’m so sorry to read your news. Here is the link to YBCN the younger breast cancer network (uk) Facebook group that RevCat mentioned above. We have 400 ladies ranging in age from early 20s to mid 40s, and a number of them have worked through chemo. We hope you will join us on it. Its a secret group so all chat is confidential.

To join just send a private message with a few details about yourself

faries i joined YBCN, its great for younger ladies, from very serious topics to very light hearted topics, massive support x